Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

48 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

That was actually from an interline. Later in the day and into the evening 3 and 4 interline at Chicago state terminal. And since #4 started getting regular artics again what you're seen is an artic popping up on #3 that was likely a #4 run earlier in the day. Matter of fact the screenshot shows that the artic was on the #4 most of the day before it did a run on King drive. Idk if it's still a thing or not but I actually remember a few overnight #4's would do a run on King drive before interlining and doing night car

Aw ok see I'm not too familiar with the south side runs since I work west but thanks for putting me on game to that no wonder I seen 4202 on the 3 in the day then later on thst night it was it was on the 4

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

You're correct on the interline part. However, most runs transition from king drive to cottage grove at time of night but I should of mentioned this yesterday evening that this was a late pull out from the garage which I found to be quite strange, the past few weekends runs haven't been getting filled throughout the course of the day on certain streets such as 79th,King Drive and Cottage Grove. I was lucky enough to get a relief last night while operating on 87th. I came straight into the garage area and saw three 4000's sitting idle waiting to pullout and one run was 380 which is a King Drive run while the other two were 678 and 679 which were night-owls on 79th. Normally all PM runs past 8 are filled will 7900's and the occasional #1000's. 

No I'm right because I'm automatically right ?? lol jk. Hmm I was wondering why the 7900's seemed to dominate after 8PM. I stay by Halsted and noticed that. I think the evening runs on 8 Halsted are mainly part time jsut to cover the hours of service without breaking union rules right? 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

No I'm right because I'm automatically right ?? lol jk. Hmm I was wondering why the 7900's seemed to dominate after 8PM. I stay by Halsted and noticed that. I think the evening runs on 8 Halsted are mainly part time jsut to cover the hours of service without breaking union rules right? 

Lol you are most definitely right, It's a safety measure done at 77th based on what i've heard from our union reps and management of bus operations. All runs after 8 pm are required to have only #7900's on them and sometimes occasional #4000's on 87th and 79th for night-owls. If you're ever passing by 77th during the weekday around 8 or 9 pm you'll see a double row of 7900's lined up just north of the vault entrance awaiting operators to use for late runs that are usually the 2nd half or sometimes unscheduled if they didn't have a relief. I'm not sure if 74th or any other garage with 7900's follows the same guidelines as 77th but it could be a standard practice that may go into effect in the future.

11 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

This is the only one of the prepaid boarding pilots that became permanent. I believe the others were Lake Shore/Belmont, State/Madison, and 69th Red Line. 

I can see how the first two might not have lasted, but I’m surprised it didn’t last at 69th. Probably needs some sort manned enforcement though

All of the prepaid boarding locations were manned. Basically, staffers make sure everyone taps their card. Can't remember how cash fares work. I wonder if CTA is bothering to continue it at Belmont Blue for the time being, given ridership is down so much. 

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

All of the prepaid boarding locations were manned. Basically, staffers make sure everyone taps their card. Can't remember how cash fares work. I wonder if CTA is bothering to continue it at Belmont Blue for the time being, given ridership is down so much. 

It’s not, when I took that picture it was 4:##p on Monday

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

Didnt they have a portable farebox? A farebox on a hand dolly?

On 6/8/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

4 car pride parade wrapped train sitting in howard yard next to the shop 

Pride is now over. Did you have a chance to see the Train because I didn't. If you did, can you tell me the car numbers.

So I was waiting for the 4 after getting off the Kensington Metra with one other person and we almost missed the 4 since apparently, the drivers only make the turn onto Front if they’re driving a 40 ft. The artic drivers just automatically proceed to King Dr. Unintended consequence of the pandemic I guess

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So I was waiting for the 4 after getting off the Kensington Metra with one other person and we almost missed the 4 since apparently, the drivers only make the turn onto Front if they’re driving a 40 ft. The artic drivers just automatically proceed to King Dr. Unintended consequence of the pandemic I guess

That's funny.  King Drive is (used to be?) the touting touring between 115th and 111th.  I don't understand why Frobt would be the routing  

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That's funny.  King Drive is (used to be?) the touting touring between 115th and 111th.  I don't understand why Frobt would be the routing  

It is, but the bus is supposed to turn on Front and then onto 114th to King Dr. There’s an entire bus stop sign for the 4 right outside the Kensington Metra.

What I also realized is that the driver’s on the artics clearly can’t be taking layover if they can’t/won’t make that turn, cause the bus we got on continued north without issue (at least until later, but that’s another  story)

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It is, but the bus is supposed to turn on Front and then onto 114th to King Dr. There’s an entire bus stop sign for the 4 right outside the Kensington Metra.

What I also realized is that the driver’s on the artics clearly can’t be taking layover if they can’t/won’t make that turn, cause the bus we got on continued north without issue (at least until later, but that’s another  story)

The reason why artics dont use front street is due to not having enough room to make that quick right turn, the radius was deemed to tight by management so as you stated artics go directly to king drive and and continue northbound. So they have told all operators that are going to 115th in artics to layover on Cottage Grove at 115th and then continue in service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The layover for the 4 is on Cottage Grove just north of 115th.  It's the same area the old 104 Pullman used to layover.  That route would go EAST on 115th to St Lawrence and north to 111th.  This contib8after the 104 was combined with the 111 111th/115th ( which the trips heading east on 115th used that routing).  I suppose there was confusion because the buses from 112th and Corliss would continue West on 111th and the buses that ran the 111th 115th and St Lawrence loop would turn on Cottage Grove

It was decided that the route would be changed to run NB on King Drive instead of St Lawrence. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

The reason why artics dont use front street is due to having enough room to make that quick right turn, the radius was deemed to tight by management so as you stated artics go directly to king drive and and continue northbound. So they have told all operators that are going to 115th in artics to layover on Cottage Grove at 115th and then continue in service.

Which, I completely understand, but since the 4 doesn’t (officially) stop on 115th btwn Front and King, CTA should say something, cause I’m sure we haven’t been the only two people who almost or did miss a bus because a turn wasn’t made. Only reason we caught that bus was because of the stop sign. The layover information also explains why the bus tracker said “delayed”

3 hours ago, mikeymc77 said:

When the CTA makes the news in Arizona 

There last acts caught on camera. Found out they got rid of those guys. It doesn't look good for the agency. Maybe the union can help them. There was a story about the man in black had his dukes up like he was going to punch them, but the man didn't really seem like a threat. (I think there's a link on abc, I think I saw it last night) Don't know what brought them to this, only the camera knows. I had some people on 95th raise there voice to me, (they said why are you so late, I had a mechanical issue) I just came back with a joke and told them I'm pulling out with my comrades we all pullout at the same time. Clearly they were messing with me. You can't take it serious though. By the time I dropped them off at 95th/ryan they asked me was I working tomorrow, they seem to like me. But when I work I go out of my way for my riders and you'll be surprised how much respect that gives you from the general public.

21 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

There last acts caught on camera. Found out they got rid of those guys. It doesn't look good for the agency. Maybe the union can help them. There was a story about the man in black had his dukes up like he was going to punch them, but the man didn't really seem like a threat. (I think there's a link on abc, I think I saw it last night) Don't know what brought them to this, only the camera knows. I had some people on 95th raise there voice to me, (they said why are you so late, I had a mechanical issue) I just came back with a joke and told them I'm pulling out with my comrades we all pullout at the same time. Clearly they were messing with me. You can't take it serious though. By the time I dropped them off at 95th/ryan they asked me was I working tomorrow, they seem to like me. But when I work I go out of my way for my riders and you'll be surprised how much respect that gives you from the general public.

Without going into detail,  I would say the union failed these drivers miserably.  They were exemplary employees. I also would say this was political,  a typical Lori Lightfoot move.   She has ambitions for higher office and she is already on the national stage.  She makes Rahm Emmanuel liik docile.