Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

That needs to be reported.

24 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I was eastbound on the Blue Line at 11:35am and sat at the 'B' end of car 3406.

I noticed the glass was missing from the end window [on the NON controller side].

I took two pictures but I am having trouble loading them.

17 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Here it is.

IMG-1527.jpg

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

@YoungBusLover y'all had buses hanging out of garage this morning with empty bays ?? y'all need to do better in gone inbox you the pics since it wont let me upload it bro

My only guess is the bays were full but every run may of not been filled this morning so the extra buses that were parked there didn't get pulled out for service. I'm guessing either 2W or 3W had extra buses sitting outside.

J14 driver decided to call the cops because a guy boarded and didn’t have the full fare. No yelling or whatnot that I heard, just was a dollar short apparently and said “man, f**k you” getting off the bus. Bus driver also rebuffed several passengers attempts to pay the fare for him. Cue mass of angry passengers on a crowded bus. Now we’re all on a more crowded bus since fortunately, there was another J14 about 3-4 mins behind us. No fare guy is also on the new bus with us since he just boarded with everyone else from the first bus. ?

Forgot to mention the exchange between the bus driver and one of the passengers who offered to pay, with that lady calling him petty and berating him for interfering with people’s jobs and the bus driver just saying “no fare, no ride” before returning to his call ?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

J14 driver decided to call the cops because a guy boarded and didn’t have the full fare. No yelling or whatnot that I heard, just was a dollar short apparently and said “man, f**k you” getting off the bus. Bus driver also rebuffed several passengers attempts to pay the fare for him. Cue mass of angry passengers on a crowded bus. Now we’re all on a more crowded bus since fortunately, there was another J14 about 3-4 mins behind us. No fare guy is also on the new bus with us since he just boarded with everyone else from the first bus. ?

Forgot to mention the exchange between the bus driver and one of the passengers who offered to pay, with that lady calling him petty and berating him for interfering with people’s jobs and the bus driver just saying “no fare, no ride” before returning to his call ?

The passenger who was short on his fare knew that before he boarded.  He should have informed the driver before putting any money in the fare box  or tapping his Ventra Card.  If the driver kicks him off,  just gets off with no problem.   It's the passenger 's responsibility to have the proper fare.

That said, I think the driver possibly overreacted.   I say possibly because I don't know if this driver had a previous encounter with this same person who may have been trying to get over.  This is the only reason I can see the driver kicking him off the bus and not letting others pay his fare.  Unless that passenger had a visible weapon or made a threat, or attempted an assault,  I don't think the police should have been called.   With all of the violence goun on, this seems petty.

Considering the body slam incident and the termination of those drivers for not following procedures, perhaps this driver and others fear termination to the point they will follow procedure to the letter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The passenger who was short on his fare knew that before he boarded.  He should have informed the driver before putting any money in the fare box  or tapping his Ventra Card.  If the driver kicks him off,  just gets off with no problem.   It's the passenger 's responsibility to have the proper fare.

That said, I think the driver possibly overreacted.   I say possibly because I don't know if this driver had a previous encounter with this same person who may have been trying to get over.  This is the only reason I can see the driver kicking him off the bus and not letting others pay his fare.  Unless that passenger had a visible weapon or made a threat, or attempted an assault,  I don't think the police should have been called.   With all of the violence goun on, this seems petty.

Considering the body slam incident and the termination of those drivers for not following procedures, perhaps this driver and others fear termination to the point they will follow procedure to the letter.

We're not suppose to dispute fares at all but only inform the passenger one time that the fare is $2.50  and keep it moving. Some operators still have this mindset that they should enforce a policy that only a small percentage break. Does it get annoying at times yes but at the end of the day get your fellow coworkers together with you union a demand a better solution to people evading fares. I'm not holding the bus and my passengers hostage because of $2.50 not getting paid. 

41 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

We're not suppose to dispute fares at all but only inform the passenger one time that the fare is $2.50  and keep it moving. Some operators still have this mindset that they should enforce a policy that only a small percentage break. Does it get annoying at times yes but at the end of the day get your fellow coworkers together with you union a demand a better solution to people evading fares. I'm not holding the bus and my passengers hostage because of $2.50 not getting paid. 

That's a sound policy.   It deescalated potential volatility and keeps the drivers and passengers safe.  No need to violin death over $2 50.  I can help but think there's something more to this story.  There's a reason why the driver opted to call the police.   Based on what we know, that seemed nonsensical.  I'm thinking prior events could have happened.   Was this guy just a perpetual fare evader or a robber who has stolen passenger belongings like purses, cell phones, jewelry, wallets.

28 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That's a sound policy.   It deescalated potential volatility and keeps the drivers and passengers safe.  No need to violin death over $2 50.  I can help but think there's something more to this story.  There's a reason why the driver opted to call the police.   Based on what we know, that seemed nonsensical.  I'm thinking prior events could have happened.   Was this guy just a perpetual fare evader or a robber who has stolen passenger belongings like purses, cell phones, jewelry, wallets.

I dont try to look to deep into it because I myself have seen operators get real petty with passengers out of 103rd in the past on the 6 especially when passengers were short cash. I remember being on the 6 a few years back heading southbound and we were at State and Monroe I believe and one lady got on the bus and at the time the fare was $2.25 and she paid $2.15 and told the driver that's all she had. The operator then told her about the fare policy and she pretty much went to go sit down after they exchanged a few choice words but this operator was so hell bent on getting her off he sat there for about 2-3 minutes and waved CPD down to remove her off. She eventually got off but not before she got her money's worth with the operator, I I among several other passengers got on the driver for doing that. Even though I wasn't an operator at the time I even knew what the correct protocol was for a situation like that. At the end of the day being an operator takes a toll on you but trying to set an example everytime will eventually get you in a tough spot that could of easily been avoided. During my training all three of my instructors made it clear to not have fare disputes with anyone, one went as far to say some  Chicagoans have the "petty" gene and will literally try anything to trigger you while operating. This is CTAs equipment at the end of the day and I care more about transporting my passengers along with myself to there destination safely and back home in one piece to my family. $2.50 isn't worth your job,life or pride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I dont try to look to deep into it because I myself have seen operators get real petty with passengers out of 103rd in the past on the 6 especially when passengers were short cash. I remember being on the 6 a few years back heading southbound and we were at State and Monroe I believe and one lady got on the bus and at the time the fare was $2.25 and she paid $2.15 and told the driver that's all she had. The operator then told her about the fare policy and she pretty much went to go sit down after they exchanged a few choice words but this operator was so hell bent on getting her off he sat there for about 2-3 minutes and waved CPD down to remove her off. She eventually got off but not before she got her money's worth with the operator, I I among several other passengers got on the driver for doing that. Even though I wasn't an operator at the time I even knew what the correct protocol was for a situation like that. At the end of the day being an operator takes a toll on you but trying to set an example everytime will eventually get you in a tough spot that could of easily been avoided. During my training all three of my instructors made it clear to not have fare disputes with anyone, one went as far to say some  Chicagoans have the "petty" gene and will literally try anything to trigger you while operating. This is CTAs equipment at the end of the day and I care more about transporting my passengers along with myself to there destination safely and back home in one piece to my family. $2.50 isn't worth your job,life or pride. 

Yea me personally idk I let people go all the time I be like I'm still getting paid if you pay or not so I dont be caring 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I got you.  I don't disagree with anything you stated.   Every operator is different whether at CTA, Pace, or Metra conductor.  But like I stated in my original response,  I believe those passengers knew they were short.  It happens.  It happened to me at few times.  I informed by drivers and conductors as soon as I boarded so they could decide whether I could ride or not.   All of them appreciated my honesty up front and kept me go to at least get to a train station where I could reload my Ventra card, or configure my account to purchase a Metra ticket.

I don't agree with being petty, but I know I can't stand someone trying to play me.  Nowadays it's not worth it to put the game players in their place.  Some people look for anything to attack another person. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I got you.  I don't disagree with anything you stated.   Every operator is different whether at CTA, Pace, or Metra conductor.  But like I stated in my original response,  I believe those passengers knew they were short.  It happens.  It happened to me at few times.  I informed by drivers and conductors as soon as I boarded so they could decide whether I could ride or not.   All of them appreciated my honesty up front and kept me go to at least get to a train station where I could reload my Ventra card, or configure my account to purchase a Metra ticket.

I don't agree with being petty, but I know I can't stand someone trying to play me.  Nowadays it's not worth it to put the game players in their place.  Some people look for anything to attack another person. 

Yeah that's understandable, whoever they were that ticked this particular operator off was probably a regular fare evader on that route during there run. I also appreciate honesty from my passengers as well but I dont appreciate is them telling me I dont have it with an aggressive tone and just walk off real fast but hey I get to laugh about it once payday rolls around because as shannon stated, I'm still going to get paid regardless.In the end if we had more passengers with integratity and morals our jobs would be so much easier. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah that's understandable, whoever they were that ticked this particular operator off was probably a regular fare evader on that route during there run. I also appreciate honesty from my passengers as well but I dont appreciate is them telling me I dont have it with an aggressive tone and just walk off real fast but hey I get to laugh about it once payday rolls around because as shannon stated, I'm still going to get paid regardless.In the end if we had more passengers with integratity and morals our jobs would be so much easier. 

Yea ive then had people that get on short try to be slick sone that be straight up I be like its all good & I had some that slip on throught the back door so I be saying to myself humm I aint see anything let me go about my day 

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

19 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I also felt there had to be some sort of prior history for that to happen. At the very least he could’ve let people pay for him, certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard someone get on the bus and ask for a dollar. Like I said, I didn’t hear any yelling or whatnot, just that eff you getting off bus, but the passenger still got off the bus at first prompting. The entire bus was very irate, and the following bus driver was very peeved as well. That was probably the most crowded bus I’ve been on this summer outside of a bus with all FedEx employees. That pavement gouge on LSD northbound near soldier field was not a good time for all those standing passengers I bet.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I also felt there had to be some sort of prior history for that to happen. At the very least he could’ve let people pay for him, certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard someone get on the bus and ask for a dollar. Like I said, I didn’t hear any yelling or whatnot, just that eff you getting off bus, but the passenger still got off the bus at first prompting. The entire bus was very irate, and the following bus driver was very peeved as well. That was probably the most crowded bus I’ve been on this summer outside of a bus with all FedEx employees. That pavement gouge on LSD northbound near soldier field was not a good time for all those standing passengers I bet.

If that's the pavement in the left lane, it doesn't feel good in a car either.

Incidents have an effect on not just that bus and its drivers and passengers,  but also affects the follower.

Years ago when the 8 was shared by  77th and Limits, I had a 77th driver who apparently was having a very difficult day.   He stopped the bus at least 3 times and refused to move the bus.  On the third time, some of us got off that bus and got on the Limits bus which had caught us.  When he passed the 77th bus , he remarked that  driver had a nickname.   They called him The Fool.  So the trip was crowded but peaceful.   It's bad when drivers from another garage give you a nickname like The Fool.

10 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If that's the pavement in the left lane, it doesn't feel good in a car either.

Incidents have an effect on not just that bus and its drivers and passengers,  but also affects the follower.

Years ago when the 8 was shared by  77th and Limits, I had a 77th driver who apparently was having a very difficult day.   He stopped the bus at least 3 times and refused to move the bus.  On the third time, some of us got off that bus and got on the Limits bus which had caught us.  When he passed the 77th bus , he remarked that  driver had a nickname.   They called him The Fool.  So the trip was crowded but peaceful.   It's bad when drivers from another garage give you a nickname like The Fool.

Yep, the left lane, but I think it’s in all the lanes unfortunately. 

If my nickname was the fool, I’d have to find a new garage ?

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It was the LIMITS garage drivers that gave that nickname to a driver from 77th.  It's one thing to have a bad name at your own garage.   It's another thing to have a bad name in a garage you DIDN'T work in on the opposite side of town.   Who knows?  Maybe he did work at Limits once  

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

They should really take nova's off the hyde park express because that pavement gouge will easily get that bus airborne if you go over it way too fast and at the wrong angle. The novas are already bouncy enough as it is.

• Upvote 1