Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

CTA finally relesed footage of the body slam incident heard around the world.I'll say once and I'll say it again everyone involved here made themselves look like complete idiots. The ending is even more troubling. https://youtu.be/1C6MRjG-oKQ

Yeah, I definitely agree everyone here is an idiot. 1st driver should’ve been suspended for a period of time though, 2nd driver absolutely deserved to be fired. The first thing I thought was why is the bus in the middle of the intersection.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, I definitely agree everyone here is an idiot. 1st driver should’ve been suspended for a period of time though, 2nd driver absolutely deserved to be fired. The first thing I thought was why is the bus in the middle of the intersection.

If that were me in that situation I would do my best to deescalate the situation rather than escalate it. There's two people it appears to be on the bus and if he was indeed heading south I would of just maintained focus until I got to the terminal to handle it but even then I think about so many scenarios that could of happened with this. What if the victim had conceal carry or even a weapon that could impair the operator, what if the bystanders who recorded got even more involved than they did and assaulted the operators.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

If that were me in that situation I would do my best to deescalate the situation rather than escalate it. There's two people it appears to be on the bus and if he was indeed heading south I would of just maintained focus until I got to the terminal to handle it but even then I think about so many scenarios that could of happened with this. What if the victim had conceal carry or even a weapon that could impair the operator, what if the bystanders who recorded got even more involved than they did and assaulted the operators.

Definitely the concealed carry part. Honestly, I felt as though (and could very well be wrong) that the situation would’ve died out fine had the second bus driver not gotten involved (not that his reprehensible actions didn’t end it quickly). Unfortunately, for the first bus driver, he came off his square. The most worrying part was the bystander though.

11 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Regardless of who swung first you put yourself in harms way along with two buses sitting idle in the middle of an intersection because of ego and pride rather than following the SOPs and code of conduct of the authority. Call control, get CPD involved and fill out paperwork afterwards while the investigation takes place. Hell if he would of properly secured his bus before getting into that altercation without retaliating the way he he did, maybe both of them would still have there jobs. The union can only do so much for you up until a certain point. The one thing that still bothers me is why were two buses heading either north or southbound sitting idle at 77th and Western for what the plaintiff/victim states was for nearly 10 minutes?  Also at the end of the footage the people that brought this entire situation to light also sucker punched this guy after the operators left the scene, why isn't he seeking legal action against them as well?

Yea I get that they was wrong for not properly securing they buses & not pulling over & for sitting idling & talking for 10 mins I just feel they should have been suspended & retrained 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Definitely the concealed carry part. Honestly, I felt as though (and could very well be wrong) that the situation would’ve died out fine had the second bus driver not gotten involved (not that his reprehensible actions didn’t end it quickly). Unfortunately, for the first bus driver, he came off his square. The most worrying part was the bystander though.

Yea the by stander is what brought it to light with the video if they didnt have the video we wouldn't even know about this 

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I can go along with suspensions, but I disagree that the 2and driver being fired for coming to the defense of his coworker.  Certainly don't know why the first driver got off his bus when his passenger got off,  but the passenger was the aggressor.  At that point, that driver has the right to defend himself as best as he can.  He dare not turn his back to the aggressor and try to walk away,  as it was clear he (the passenger) wanted to engage. 

The 2and driver said he was pulling away when he saw them fighting.   He got off of his bus and came to the aid of his coworker.   We don't know if this passenger had a knife on him.  Thankfully we didn't get a chance to find out.  I would doubt it,  but maybe he was packing abs would have felt the need to use it if two drivers were engaging him.  The 2and driver certainly deescalated the situation.  I hope he gets his job back.

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps they can get back pay.

I told you there was more to this than the initial viral video showed  

Ur appears that the initial viral video was shot from the first white truck.  How crazy is this that a person from that vehicle gets out and kicks that man.  Talk about literally kicking a man when he is down. 

The union failed these drivers.   They need to get them their jobs back and Lori Lightfoot needs to be voter out of office next election  

Yea I said the same thing & yea her crooked ass gotta go

15 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I can go along with suspensions, but I disagree that the 2and driver being fired for coming to the defense of his coworker.  Certainly don't know why the first driver got off his bus when his passenger got off,  but the passenger was the aggressor.  At that point, that driver has the right to defend himself as best as he can.  He dare not turn his back to the aggressor and try to walk away,  as it was clear he (the passenger) wanted to engage. 

The 2and driver said he was pulling away when he saw them fighting.   He got off of his bus and came to the aid of his coworker.   We don't know if this passenger had a knife on him.  Thankfully we didn't get a chance to find out.  I would doubt it,  but maybe he was packing abs would have felt the need to use it if two drivers were engaging him.  The 2and driver certainly deescalated the situation.  I hope he gets his job back.

The 2nd driver who came up sneaked him? The 2nd driver who was never directly threatened? The 2nd driver who, out of all the possible ways to de-escalate, chose possible paralysis &/or brain damage. To be clear, I’m not saying the aggressor didn’t deserve something to happen to him, but it speaks volumes that he sneaked up on him and immediately tried to cause lasting physical damage.

I don’t know if that passenger was armed (although I’ll speculate that he wasn’t since he was losing the minute he stepped the bus and would’ve evened the playing field a bit). What I do know is while that bus driver might have been acting in defense of his coworker, it was not self-defense, and this makes his actions reprehensible. Had they been directly engaged, I’d have been far less onerous. 2nd bus driver himself even says that if it were to happen again, he’d have chosen to break it up rather than slam him on his neck.

I will say if I was on a bus at 2am and two bus drivers were just idling in the middle of the street conversing for 10 minutes, I’d be irate too. Several times I’ve had the 381 bus drivers pop off into SW garage while I and other passengers have been on the bus, for minutes at a time.

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The 2nd driver who came up sneaked him? The 2nd driver who was never directly threatened? The 2nd driver who, out of all the possible ways to de-escalate, chose possible paralysis &/or brain damage. To be clear, I’m not saying the aggressor didn’t deserve something to happen to him, but it speaks volumes that he sneaked up on him and immediately tried to cause lasting physical damage.

I don’t know if that passenger was armed (although I’ll speculate that he wasn’t since he was losing the minute he stepped the bus and would’ve evened the playing field a bit). What I do know is while that bus driver might have been acting in defense of his coworker, it was not self-defense, and this makes his actions reprehensible. Had they been directly engaged, I’d have been far less onerous. 2nd bus driver himself even says that if it were to happen again, he’d have chosen to break it up rather than slam him on his neck.

I will say if I was on a bus at 2am and two bus drivers were just idling in the middle of the street conversing for 10 minutes, I’d be irate too. Several times I’ve had the 381 bus drivers pop off into SW garage while I and other passengers have been on the bus, for minutes at a time.

In reverse order.

I understand being irate when you are trying to get somewhere and two bus drivers are chatting sway as if the were at the Terminal or on their own time.  I had to approach a Pace driver about this.  I wasn't disrespectful towards him and he wasn't disrespectful toward .me.  That passenger could have just got off the bus and walked 2 blocks.   So wht isn't he being charged with assaulting a CTA  driver  which is a  felony?

As far as the 2and driver saying he would have broken up the fight, hindsight is 20/20 vision  I can't do into derail yet, but there are things happening that caused this state and subsequent events.  Trust me when I say this us political. 

I don't buy the sneak argument either.  Clearly this guy knew the 2and driver was nearby because he said the two drivers were talking . Maybe he got focused on his driver.  I would think about starting a fight when I know I'm outnumbered. This guy even said he told the police where to find the driver.  This is a money grab. 

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

In reverse order.

I understand being irate when you are trying to get somewhere and two bus drivers are chatting sway as if the were at the Terminal or on their own time.  I had to approach a Pace driver about this.  I wasn't disrespectful towards him and he wasn't disrespectful toward .me.  That passenger could have just got off the bus and walked 2 blocks.   So wht isn't he being charged with assaulting a CTA  driver  which is a  felony?

As far as the 2and driver saying he would have broken up the fight, hindsight is 20/20 vision  I can't do into derail yet, but there are things happening that caused this state and subsequent events.  Trust me when I say this us political. 

I don't buy the sneak argument either.  Clearly this guy knew the 2and driver was nearby because he said the two drivers were talking . Maybe he got focused on his driver.  I would think about starting a fight when I know I'm outnumbered. This guy even said he told the police where to find the driver.  This is a money grab. 

Did we watch the same video? By the time they’ve both gotten off the bus, the other bus driver has pulled away. He only stopped again when he saw the confrontation. The passenger clearly didn’t know he was coming, otherwise he would’ve turned around or reacted somehow.

Passenger should absolutely be charged with battery, especially since he swung first and I also agree this is a money grab. Unfortunately, because of the second drivers actions, his money grab might actually reach something.

Ultimately, I stand by the fact that everyone in this video acted foolishly and none of what was shown past the in-bus video needed to happen.

Edited by NewFlyerMCI
“officers” to “drivers”

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Did we watch the same video? By the time they’ve both gotten off the bus, the other bus driver has pulled away. He only stopped again when he saw the confrontation. The passenger clearly didn’t know he was coming, otherwise he would’ve turned around or reacted somehow.

Passenger should absolutely be charged with battery, especially since he swung first and I also agree this is a money grab. Unfortunately, because of the second officers actions, his money grab might actually reach something.

Ultimately, I stand by the fact that everyone in this video acted foolishly and none of what was shown past the in-bus video needed to happen.

I agree that none of that should have happened.  I agree that the bus drivers should have been disciplined.   They broke rules.  Clearly the first driver was defending himself.  I don't believe the passenger would have given up if the driver walked away from him after the initial scrum.  In hindsight,  the 2and driver should have pressed his silent alarm to get police help.  We don't know for sure how the passenger would react had the 2and driver just stepped between the 2 men.  It may have deescalated  but I believe this guy wanted to fight and would continue to be aggressive towards the first driver  or even try to take on the second.  In hindsight we know the latter move would have been a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Worse ride ever on CTA featuring 4093 with no working AC and windows screwed shut ?. I was very tempted to get off at 67th/Jeffery and wait for literally any other bus 

Wow that's really fucked up the driver that pulled that bus out this morning should have put that bus down thats what I did when I had 1564 a while ago thw air wasnt working so I drove it over to thw shop & let management that assigned me the bus know then they gave me bus 1600

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Wow that's really fucked up the driver that pulled that bus out this morning should have put that bus down thats what I did when I had 1564 a while ago thw air wasnt working so I drove it over to thw shop & let management that assigned me the bus know then they gave me bus 1600

you drove it to SS?

25 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

you drove it to SS?

Were you going NB or SB?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Worse ride ever on CTA featuring 4093 with no working AC and windows screwed shut ?. I was very tempted to get off at 67th/Jeffery and wait for literally any other bus 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Was this a 6, J14,  or 26?

Having driven buses before, I have had buses with ok a/c in the morning and in the shade, but by the afternoon and continually being in the hot sun, the a/c has crapped  out.  This was especially true in older buses.  It's one thing to realize you have a hot bus before you pull out, but it's something else to have the a/c fail you while you're on the street.   At that point,  replacement vehicles may not be available.  The driver at least has a window to get air.  As a passenger you can choose to wait for the next bus, or if time is not on your side, sweat it out.

From my observation,  most CTA and Pace drivers just deal with it.  I remember a 318 bus at Forest Park had no a/c (NABI).  An Eldorado Axxess 757 pulled in with going air.  The 318 and the 757 swapped buses and passengers.   The 757 had 2 or 3 passengers going to the Green Line,  but once the 757 ended at the Harlem Green Line,  he was headed to the garage.  I don't think its that simple for CTA 

Like I said,  most drivers seemingly deal with it.  They won't take a bus with no heat in the winter.

6 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Were you going NB or SB?

Having driven buses before, I have had buses with ok a/c in the morning and in the shade, but by the afternoon and continually being in the hot sun, the a/c has crapped  out.  This was especially true in older buses.  It's one thing to realize you have a hot bus before you pull out, but it's something else to have the a/c fail you while you're on the street.   At that point,  replacement vehicles may not be available.  The driver at least has a window to get air.  As a passenger you can choose to wait for the next bus, or if time is not on your side, sweat it out.

From my observation,  most CTA and Pace drivers just deal with it.  I remember a 318 bus at Forest Park had no a/c (NABI).  An Eldorado Axxess 757 pulled in with going air.  The 318 and the 757 swapped buses and passengers.   The 757 had 2 or 3 passengers going to the Green Line,  but once the 757 ended at the Harlem Green Line,  he was headed to the garage.  I don't think its that simple for CTA 

Like I said,  most drivers seemingly deal with it.  They won't take a bus with no heat in the winter.

Right cuz u can always ipen the windows but I just thing about elderly customers I once had a bus AC fail & was told it was no replacement & told them how come its not its at least 20 buses in the garage not even being used & they brought a bus out cuz most of my routes its elderly hotspots 

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Quick question for any K operators.  I noticed that buses deadheading from J to Mercy Hospital to start the 21 Cermak take I 290 and Ida B Wells is Michigan Ave and Michigan to 25th.  Why not take the Ryan and the Stevenson to King Drive and loop back to Muchigan,

see when I did the 21 I just took Roosevelt down state then turned on the side street that run on the side of the Stevenson or to Roosevelt to Michigan then started from mercy or took 290 to the Ryan & jumped off at 18th & when to the 

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Right cuz u can always ipen the windows but I just thing about elderly customers I once had a bus AC fail & was told it was no replacement & told them how come its not its at least 20 buses in the garage not even being used & they brought a bus out cuz most of my routes its elderly hotspots 

If there are a bunch of buses with no a/c being swapped out at the garage, what happens when all of those a/c buses are gone.  If any runs are still waiting to go out, do they suffer with no a/c or do those runs get canceled?  What if a breakdown on the street occurs?  Do they send a no air replacement or do nothing?

To my recollection,  the only CTA buses I've been in with air issues have been Novas, both 6400s and 7900s.  The latter never had going air to begin with.  When the air works on the 6400s, its the best in the CTA.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If there are a bunch of buses with no a/c being swapped out at the garage, what happens when all of those a/c buses are gone.  If any runs are still waiting to go out, do they suffer with no a/c or do those runs get canceled?  What if a breakdown on the street occurs?  Do they send a no air replacement or do nothing?

To my recollection,  the only CTA buses I've been in with air issues have been Novas, both 6400s and 7900s.  The latter never had going air to begin with.  When the air works on the 6400s, its the best in the CTA.

Yea the 6400's got the best AC but it was just that 1 that was swapped out which it was fixed same day so it was back out later that day

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Were you going NB or SB?

NB J14. Honestly, if I was able to open the windows, it wouldn’t have been an issue because of LSD, but I’ve never seen windows screwed shut before on a CTA bus. This was mid-morning tho, I can’t believe the driver didn’t know the a/c wasn’t working, you could feel the temperature difference as soon as you stepped on the bus.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

NB J14. Honestly, if I was able to open the windows, it wouldn’t have been an issue because of LSD, but I’ve never seen windows screwed shut before on a CTA bus. This was mid-morning tho, I can’t believe the driver didn’t know the a/c wasn’t working, you could feel the temperature difference as soon as you stepped on the bus.

He may have known the air wasn't working,  but may not have known the windows were screwed shut.  Um I'm surprised  he didn't try to swap at the garage since that's where the J14 starts.  That was a safety issue 

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

He may have known the air wasn't working,  but may not have known the windows were screwed shut.  Um I'm surprised  he didn't try to swap at the garage since that's where the J14 starts.  That was a safety issue 

Yea I thought the same cuz today & tommorow need to be all buses with working AC as hot as its finna be this weekend