Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

Sitting at 7 enjoying my breakfast see 1957 from at SS 4201 just came over from 7 & 4119 with its hood up is they going to fix 4119 or just take parts off then move it to the boneyard & 4032 passed by doing the 79 I want 4032 back at K I like that bus 7 need to run that bus back now before I make em run it ????

4 hours ago, Agent said:

I was passing by Central Park & Ogden and noticed an #82 Kimball/Homan whose destination sign said "BUS MAY RUN EXPRESS." I've never noticed this destination sign before, it must be new.

Not sure but this may have to do with CTA launching a ridership report that indicates when a bus is crowded or least busy. Maybe this translates to the bus someway. The info is on the CTA website.

13 hours ago, Agent said:

I was passing by Central Park & Ogden and noticed an #82 Kimball/Homan whose destination sign said "BUS MAY RUN EXPRESS." I've never noticed this destination sign before, it must be new.

This could be the reason. From the CTA's COVID-19 page under service changes under "Bus crowding management":

Our bus operators now have the authority to temporarily run as “drop-off only” and bypass certain bus stops if their bus is becoming crowded. Operators will use the guideline of 15 or more passengers on a standard 40-foot bus, 22 or more passengers on a 60-foot articulated bus.

22 hours ago, Agent said:

I was passing by a police station and noticed 2 buses parked in front of the station both saying "MY KIND OF TOWN // CHICAGO IS // BUS MAY RUN EXPRESS."

Guess it was late ?

On 6/17/2020 at 8:21 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Got to see the new sheilds on the 6400 novas on the buses thats put at 74th guess the swaps maybe happening again soon

0617201951.jpg

0617201951a.jpg

Damn does that look like Reynold's wrap? I did see something similar on #6678 but I thought I was seeing things

On 6/15/2020 at 2:37 AM, Agent said:

On 6/15/2020 at 7:18 AM, sht6131 said:

Not sure but this may have to do with CTA launching a ridership report that indicates when a bus is crowded or least busy. Maybe this translates to the bus someway. The info is on the CTA website.

On 6/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, CircleSeven said:

This could be the reason. From the CTA's COVID-19 page under service changes under "Bus crowding management":

More specifically and to clarify, it's to remind riders of the policy that's already been in effect since the start of rear door boarding (which ends tomorrow by the way meaning we have to pay fares again starting tomorrow) that buses are operating under lower max capacities depending on bus size and that they flip to drop off only and otherwise will skip normal passenger stops for that route in question if any buses hits that max capacity. Many passengers have been angered by it, BUT COVID-19 and the required social distancing did not end just because the city and state have opened up a little more into Phase 3 of the state's path to total reopening. And that last phase will not be here until there's a verified and safe vaccine available and that's not going to be until next year realistically speaking when looking at the science behind the medical work.

45 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

TIL that the West 55th routes are interlined with the 59 instead of the 55. Anyone know why that is?

Might be because the 59 is a lighter route and runs less frequently than the 55, the 59 being up to every 20 minutes compared to 10 or less on the 55. But it's not just the 55A and 55N that are interlined with the 59. The 62H and 63W also are interlined with the 59, and all four of them are also interlined with each other. It's no accident that like the 59, the 55N and 62H have no Sunday. 55A is treated like a rush hour only variant of the 55N and has no Sunday service by default. So the interline that we're speaking of only applies Mondays thru Saturdays. Only the 63W has Sunday service out of the routes that run west of Midway. On Sundays and the big holidays that trigger Sunday schedules, I believe the 63W then gets interlined with the 63 if I'm remembering that right. That's easier to do because on Sundays and holidays the 63's Midway trips are every 20 minutes. The other half of the 63's trips on those days terminate at the Kedzie/63rd Place terminal used by the 52.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jajuan said:

On Sundays and the big holidays that trigger Sunday schedules, I believe the 63W then gets interlined with the 63 if I'm remembering that right. That's easier to do because on Sundays and holidays the 63's Midway trips are every 20 minutes. The other half of the 63's trips on those days terminate at the Kedzie/63rd Place terminal used by the 52.

Is there a chance this interline will change when the 63 has electric buses? Or will charging stations also get built at 63rd/Archer?

Also, will there be charging stations at Kedzie and Stony Island, or do the buses have enough range to go from Midway to Stony and back? If there's a charging station at Stony, maybe the 59 could get rerouted there and go electric as well.

Thursday I was on the 18 coming up to kedize & a woman on my bus fell having a seizure since my 3 year old daughter have them when she have a fever over & temp over 100 I knew exactly what to do I told somebody to turn hwr on her side while I raced her to Mount Sinai & when it slowed down me & another man ran her into the hospital I let my supervisor know what was going on & the game plan when we got there & he was ok with it even tho he said that I should have called it in but by me being a marine you dont leave nobody behind without help glad to say the woman pulled through went & checked on her after shift & she's going to be ok 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Is there a chance this interline will change when the 63 has electric buses? Or will charging stations also get built at 63rd/Archer?

Also, will there be charging stations at Kedzie and Stony Island, or do the buses have enough range to go from Midway to Stony and back? If there's a charging station at Stony, maybe the 59 could get rerouted there and go electric as well.

I've only heard them mention a charging station at the Midway terminal, which should be enough given how the 700s were able to operate on routes like the 52 in its former Kedzie/California form and the 82 for multiple trips without having too many issues staying powered up by the battery.

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Thursday I was on the 18 coming up to kedize & a woman on my bus fell having a seizure since my 3 year old daughter have them when she have a fever over & temp over 100 I knew exactly what to do I told somebody to turn hwr on her side while I raced her to Mount Sinai & when it slowed down me & another man ran her into the hospital I let my supervisor know what was going on & the game plan when we got there & he was ok with it even tho he said that I should have called it in but by me being a marine you dont leave nobody behind without help glad to say the woman pulled through went & checked on her after shift & she's going to be ok 

I can see where he was coming from at a liability standpoint as far as it falling on you and CTA had something else gone wrong while getting her to the hospital. But from that human standpoint, I applaud your quick thinking and getting her some medical help both quickly and safely since you had some experience and knowledge on what to do to keep her stable while getting her to medical care. It was risky to do it, but that wait for paramedics could have taken too long especially with current practices of a fire truck with an EMT trained firefighter arriving faster than EMTs in an actual ambulance. 

11 hours ago, jajuan said:

Might be because the 59 is a lighter route and runs less frequently than the 55, the 59 being up to every 20 minutes compared to 10 or less on the 55. But it's not just the 55A and 55N that are interlined with the 59. The 62H and 63W also are interlined with the 59, and all four of them are also interlined with each other. It's no accident that like the 59, the 55N and 62H have no Sunday. 55A is treated like a rush hour only variant of the 55N and has no Sunday service by default. So the interline that we're speaking of only applies Mondays thru Saturdays. Only the 63W has Sunday service out of the routes that run west of Midway. On Sundays and the big holidays that trigger Sunday schedules, I believe the 63W then gets interlined with the 63 if I'm remembering that right. That's easier to do because on Sundays and holidays the 63's Midway trips are every 20 minutes. The other half of the 63's trips on those days terminate at the Kedzie/63rd Place terminal used by the 52.

Gotcha, thanks. I only noticed to today cause I saw a 55N come in and change to the 59, which then made me realize I’ve never seen the 165, 63W, 55A or 55N (I don’t even know what bay the 55A/N even stop at) at Midway before (under those routes at least) and I’ve only seen the 62H once. I don’t know how I miss them honestly, I’m usually at Midway for at least 10-30 minutes Tues-Sat. Oh well.

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

I've only heard them mention a charging station at the Midway terminal, which should be enough given how the 700s were able to operate on routes like the 52 in its former Kedzie/California form and the 82 for multiple trips without having too many issues staying powered up by the battery.

I can see where he was coming from at a liability standpoint as far as it falling on you and CTA had something else gone wrong while getting her to the hospital. But from that human standpoint, I applaud your quick thinking and getting her some medical help both quickly and safely since you had some experience and knowledge on what to do to keep her stable while getting her to medical care. It was risky to do it, but that wait for paramedics could have taken too long especially with current practices of a fire truck with an EMT trained firefighter arriving faster than EMTs in an actual ambulance. 

Yea that was agamble that I was willing to take since I was close to the hospital now if I had of been further back I would have called but she got on at Pulaski if it had of happened there I would have ran right into the fire station right there on the corner of 16 & Pulaski