Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

7 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

The 7900's are basically the TMCs before there rehab with little to no a/c. 

The TMCs came from the factory with no a/c at all.  They did have rear windows.  Eventually A/c was installed in the rear.  The air in those buses was decent.  The 7900s came with an a/c system,  but it sucked from day one. The worst part of your experience is you were on a bus with NO HOPPER WINDOWS 

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

The TMCs came from the factory with no a/c at all.  They did have rear windows.  Eventually A/c was installed in the rear.  The air in those buses was decent.  The 7900s came with an a/c system,  but it sucked from day one. The worst part of your experience is you were on a bus with NO HOPPER WINDOWS 

Yeah that's true but the 7900's do remind me of them sometimes because of rear window and practically non-existent a/c, hell some of them are already losing there speed and durability at 6 years old now.

21 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My god, 8334 has a less than optimal AC right now, I hope the bus driver takes it in when he gets to 103rd, the back of the bus might as well be an oven

Ironically I just took a ride on #8334 this afternoon on State and whatever issues it had in regards to A/C has been fixed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I had the honors of just being posted on madison today as a police charter got paid for 12 hours to not do nothing & all 12 hours was OT but man I cant wait to finish the police academy so I can be a brother in blue 

SuperS.  Rail operator,  bus operator, police officer.  What can't you do?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Naw I just always wanted to be a officer to start with but the first time I failed the test second time I passed it now im just waiting on them to tell me when I can start the Academy but I always look at other ways to get more money I wanna have a million or millions by time I retire in 50 years 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

All you gotta do is dream big bro like my dad say you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it & dont nothing come to a sleeper but a dream see where me if all started in high school when I said I was gone go to the Navy but I ended up going to the marines cuz I knew college wasn't for me dont need to have college debt to make good money just need to push yourself work & hustle he'll I still hustle on the side even tho work for cta I came from hustling my family is full if hustlers

• Like 1

Looks like we have our first covid-19 bus that is quote on quote quarantined.#1330 has a quarantine do not board sign on the drivers side window with caution tape surrounding the front. My question did an operator test positive for it and if so why is it sitting among other parked buses rather than being isolated in the boneyard by itself? The bus has sat there since Thursday.

20200816_135319.jpg

20200816_135404.jpg

20200816_135314.jpg

7 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Looks like we have our first covid-19 bus that is quote on quote quarantined.#1330 has a quarantine do not board sign on the drivers side window with caution tape surrounding the front. My question did an operator test positive for it and if so why is it sitting among other parked buses rather than being isolated in the boneyard by itself? The bus has sat there since Thursday.

20200816_135319.jpg

20200816_135404.jpg

20200816_135314.jpg

Yea I seen that Thursday but didn't know what is it was for 

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

The city, CPD and CFD dont want to invest in buses for these agencies. Thats why they rely on CTA buses for transport everywhere. 

Yea the city some cheap mfs when they got it just like they gave their officers FWD explorers when they first started buying them cuz Rahm didnt like how the tahoes got stuck like come on bro now they got AWD but the city some cheap clowns

15 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea the city some cheap mfs when they got it just like they gave their officers FWD explorers when they first started buying them cuz Rahm didnt like how the tahoes got stuck like come on bro now they got AWD but the city some cheap clowns

The CPD Flxible wouldnt do the job because the seating arrangement was altered  It was used as sort of a  Command bus rather than a transport vehicle Our Flxible on the other hand was not altered at all  The seating and interior remains the same

15 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

The CPD Flxible wouldnt do the job because the seating arrangement was altered  It was used as sort of a  Command bus rather than a transport vehicle Our Flxible on the other hand was not altered at all  The seating and interior remains the same

I wonder what will CPD and CFD try to invest in the next several years, I would hope a #1000 would be given away instead of a #6400.

20 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I wonder what will CPD and CFD try to invest in the next several years, I would hope a #1000 would be given away instead of a #6400.

Lol idk he'll it wont either 1 of them care noway they just gone use it & give it back like they did 5678 6163 & how they did 1 of the 5900's they had that one up in the auction block

From what I’ve seen on here about the 7900s, it sounds like they’re a very problematic fleet. I have a feeling the 7900s are going to have a premature service life. I don’t think they’re going to last as long as the 6400s, I don’t even think they’ll last as long as the 4000 series artics which are 11-12 years old. I don’t see the 7900s making 10 years, so here’s a scenario what happens if the 7900s get so bad that all of them have to be taken out of service like the Nabis? If CTA can’t get enough buses to replace the 7900s, how does it work with the buses it currently has if it’s short 450 buses? 

1 hour ago, Javi78 said:

From what I’ve seen on here about the 7900s, it sounds like they’re a very problematic fleet. I have a feeling the 7900s are going to have a premature service life. I don’t think they’re going to last as long as the 6400s, I don’t even think they’ll last as long as the 4000 series artics which are 11-12 years old. I don’t see the 7900s making 10 years, so here’s a scenario what happens if the 7900s get so bad that all of them have to be taken out of service like the Nabis? If CTA can’t get enough buses to replace the 7900s, how does it work with the buses it currently has if it’s short 450 buses? 

Now I'll admit they have there fair share of problems. However, I doubt they'll get retired by the time they reach 10 years old. Nova's track record hasn't been the best when it comes to durability and reliability with it's current generation model of bus being the 4th gen but they still run good depending on how well they're maintained. I'm only speaking from my experience having traveled and operated on them out of 77th and 74th. Are they as durable as the #6400s that has yet to be determined and they never received a rehab like past series did and made it just fine. I just believe that the #7900s and #8000s specifically need some sort of rehab. They have gotten torn up on the south side routes due to the rugged streets, a few accidents,maintenance or lack there of, and of course some operators just doing the absolute most by abusing the brakes, creating lock ups with the transmissions among other things. I remember making a relief with an operator on 43rd street and the minute he pulled up he told me the bus was running fine and then poof the check engine light comes on. I take possession of the bus and I check the dash and psi levels and surely enough something was up. The exhaust was also overheating and after I called it in I was hit with another issue, the transmission was shot and I could barely get above 20 mph with the bus. So long story short, the novas have a number of issues that range from different factors but one thing is for sure about them that I like. The #7900s that haven't been abused much are usually a treat to operate but I wish a majority were like #7996 and #7947, both have different mileage on them and yet they still operate just like they're brand new. #7996 has only 62,000 miles on it where as #7947 has nearly 225,000 miles on it. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Now I'll admit they have there fair share of problems. However, I doubt they'll get retired by the time they reach 10 years old. Nova's track record hasn't been the best when it comes to durability and reliability with it's current generation model of bus being the 4th gen but they still run good depending on how well they're maintained. I'm only speaking from my experience having traveled and operated on them out of 77th and 74th. Are they as durable as the #6400s that has yet to be determined and they never received a rehab like past series did and made it just fine. I just believe that the #7900s and #8000s specifically need some sort of rehab. They have gotten torn up on the south side routes due to the rugged streets, a few accidents,maintenance or lack there of, and of course some operators just doing the absolute most by abusing the brakes, creating lock ups with the transmissions among other things. I remember making a relief with an operator on 43rd street and the minute he pulled up he told me the bus was running fine and then poof the check engine light comes on. I take possession of the bus and I check the dash and psi levels and surely enough something was up. The exhaust was also overheating and after I called it in I was hit with another issue, the transmission was shot and I could barely get above 20 mph with the bus. So long story short, the novas have a number of issues that range from different factors but one thing is for sure about them that I like. The #7900s that haven't been abused much are usually a treat to operate but I wish a majority were like #7996 and #7947, both have different mileage on them and yet they still operate just like they're brand new. #7996 has only 62,000 miles on it where as #7947 has nearly 225,000 miles on it. 

Do you think the garages should move the 7900s and 8000s around to even mileage like for instance 77th sends a handful of 7900s to FG for a handful of 8200s-8300s that way the 7900s get some downtime at FG and operate on lighter routes and better roads while the 8200s-8300s get their use. Same thing with 8000s from 74th, send a handful to FG for some of FGs novas or send them to NP for some new flyers. Would that help maintenance wise?