Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

You and me both bud. I mainly wanted to operate the #6300's when 74th still had most of them before they got retired around late 2008. The #6200's were also good buses until they couldn't get the proper maintenance. I remember riding #6225 on Ashland with my mom during the late evening and it was a cold winter night, as soon as we got picked up we were expecting a nice warm bus to warm up on but we were sadly mistaken once the operator told us the heating malfunctioned or something along those lines, so we got on the TMC behind them which shockingly had more than enough heat to start a bbq. ???????

Lol thats crazy they wasnt getting taken care of right I guess 6 didnt care about them

14 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Lol thats crazy they wasnt getting taken care of right I guess 6 didnt care about them

It wasn't that 74th didn't care about them it was just at that time they were nearly all #6000s before the last #4400's were shipped off. They were overworked and had little downtime due to the routes they were on. Imagine trying to maintain 270+ buses that are nearly 13-14 years old on the south side with little relief in terms of receiving new equipment. #6084 and #6328 were prime examples of how bad things were getting at 74th for them. #6084 had the laziest rehab I've ever seen and on top of that it was very loud along with having missing parts. 2008 was rough for the #6000s at 74th and it kept getting worse until the mid #1000's came into service. When you start sending buses out like #6084 because you have no other choice but to, you know its bad.

6084.png

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It wasn't that 74th didn't care about them it was just at that time they were nearly all #6000s before the last #4400's were shipped off. They were overworked and had little downtime due to the routes they were on. Imagine trying to maintain 270+ buses that are nearly 13-14 years old on the south side with little relief in terms of receiving new equipment. #6084 and #6328 were prime examples of how bad things were getting at 74th for them. #6084 had the laziest rehabbed I've ever seen and on top of that it was very loud along with having missing parts. 2008 was rough for the #6000s at 74th and it kept getting worse until the mid #1000's came into service. When you start sending buses out like #6084 because you have no other choice but to, you know its bad.

6084.png

CTA originally didn't want to send any 1000s to 74th.  At that time, 103rd had received odd numbered 1000s while NP RECEIVED  even numbered  1000s. The   high frequency of breakdowns at 74th forced CTA to send some temporary help.  When Archer closed, the bulk of their Novas went to 74th, retiring the 6009s.  Remember FG was already majority Novas, so breakdowns there were minimized. Fg and 74th wouldn't have received any New Flyers in CTA'S perfect world

As much as some heres would hate to hear, newer buses on the south side first makes sense.  While 103rd operates 2 owl routes  and 77th operate 3 owl routes each, 74th operates 5 owl routes (9,49,55,62,63).  K has 1, C has 3, P has 1, and F has 2.. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

CTA originally didn't want to send any 1000s to 74th.  At that time, 103rd had received odd numbered 1000s while NP RECEIVED  even numbered  1000s. The   high frequency of breakdowns at 74th forced CTA to send some temporary help.  When Archer closed, the bulk of their Novas went to 74th, retiring the 6009s.  Remember FG was already majority Novas, so breakdowns there were minimized. Fg and 74th wouldn't have received any New Flyers in CTA'S perfect world

As much as some heres would hate to hear, newer buses on the south side first makes sense.  While 103rd and 77th operate 3 owl routes each, 74th operates 5 owl routes (9,49,55,62,63).  K has 1, C has 3, P has 1, and F has 2.. 

Yeah I remember that as a kid when I started seeing #1000s slowly popping up on downtown routes and eventually around the far southeast side. When we did finally start seeing changes fully was right around 2009 If my memory is correct. There was a mix of everything at a point though at 74th briefly. 

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It wasn't that 74th didn't care about them it was just at that time they were nearly all #6000s before the last #4400's were shipped off. They were overworked and had little downtime due to the routes they were on. Imagine trying to maintain 270+ buses that are nearly 13-14 years old on the south side with little relief in terms of receiving new equipment. #6084 and #6328 were prime examples of how bad things were getting at 74th for them. #6084 had the laziest rehab I've ever seen and on top of that it was very loud along with having missing parts. 2008 was rough for the #6000s at 74th and it kept getting worse until the mid #1000's came into service. When you start sending buses out like #6084 because you have no other choice but to, you know its bad.

6084.png

Aw I thought youbwas talking about before then but yea i agree you give a garage all 10+ year okd buses you asking for a big ass breakdown

32 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I remember that as a kid when I started seeing #1000s slowly popping up on downtown routes and eventually around the far southeast side. When we did finally start seeing changes fully was right around 2009 If my memory is correct. There was a mix of everything at a point though at 74th briefly. 

Yea it was 09 it was a big mix up cux C had 60's for the first time ive ever seen them have those 10's 5300's & the 6400's

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

As much as some heres would hate to hear, newer buses on the south side first makes sense.  While 103rd operates 2 owl routes  and 77th operate 3 owl routes each, 74th operates 5 owl routes (9,49,55,62,63).  K has 1, C has 3, P has 1, and F has 2.. 

Yea CTA dont really care about 6 & FG cuz they always get the half dead buses just like if CTA had it their way FG wouldnt have got any flyers or new novas they would have been 100% 6400's again but they know they have to avoid the major breakdowns like what happened at 6

On 9/3/2020 at 2:21 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea CTA dont really care about 6 & FG cuz they always get the half dead buses just like if CTA had it their way FG wouldnt have got any flyers or new novas they would have been 100% 6400's again but they know they have to avoid the major breakdowns like what happened at 6

It’s not that they don’t care Moreso FG stays in its area outside of the 56 therefore doesn’t have equipment racking up miles up and down expressways while deadheading compared to say 77th or NP. 74th just in an awkward spot like the Blue Line is and also has more room for left over equipment since they can’t house artics 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

It’s not that they don’t care Moreso FG stays in its area outside of the 56 therefore doesn’t have equipment racking up miles up and down expressways while deadheading compared to say 77th or NP. 74th just in an awkward spot like the Blue Line is and also has more room for left over equipment since they can’t house artics 

That's a good point bro I didnt think of it like that

5 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Today I rode 1592 and I noticed the 9 was misplaced and it had a tear on it too in the middle. What other D40LF's or other buses in the CTA have weird fleet numbers on the inside? I think this is my first time I got a bus in the CTA that has a weird number inside.

bandicam 2020-09-07 17-18-56-772.jpg

1007 has no number inside