Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

Saw the craziest thing yesterday on the #2. I was talking on the phone during my uber layover over in the park area in east hyde park around 54th. I saw a #2 bus going north at 5:24pm on LSD, if someone wants to narrow this bus down. You know where the roof connects to the destination sign in front. Someone must have left out a few screws on the mounting cause the whole front roof section was pulling up off the bus, the wind was pulling it up and it was flapping in the wind. A good 3 to 4 feet of it. I guess the operator didn't know the bus was like that. Couldn't get the bus number but it was a #7900. I checked maths tracker and #7909, #7922, #7925 and #7951 were all out then so it's one of those buses. 

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Wow.  Since I don't work for CTA, I can't say for sure.  The proper things to do was either ignore him. Put him off the bus. Or call the police if you felt threatened.   What you did, though understandable, wasn't professional.   You could actually have been perceived as the aggressor even though you didn't start this.

I know you recently started with CTA.  As a probationary employee. CTA could terminate you.  Whether they do or not is up to them.  Other CTA drivers on this forum can better answer that, but I think if it weren't for coronavirus,  the chances of you being fired would be greater.   

I've been with then since last year I came from the rails so I got a lil over a year vested I started as a flagman & moved up I've then drove the trains on every line just went & got my CDL's to be on both sides of the game 

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Well, having now gone to this facility 4 days in a row, here are some other minor things I noticed:

• There's been an uptick in the number of buses going to Wentworth on the 79
  • The stimulus artics can't rope off the seat behind the driver, which was sort of pointless anyway
    • I'm seeing an uptick in drivers electing not to use the barrier btwn them and the rest of the bus (still doing rear-door boarding tho)
  • CTA should really look into the 79 doing FedEx trips or maybe having the 169 stop at 79th/Sayre or go to the facility, there is a lot of people doing the 79/379 transfer. There's at least 10 people doing the walk across Cicero in the morning and around 20+ getting off the 379. Afternoon/evenings have been insane, close to 30 people waiting at the stop and 20 of that number then getting on the 79. About 10-15 folks also take the 386, all going too/from Midway. Most of this group seem to board the Orange line rather than transfer buses. The current 379 "F" trips are absolutely useless right now for the most part as well, although this has more to do with the fact that the facility is liable to change start times for extended periods of time.
  • The 59 does it's reliefs at Ashland/59th, which seems sort of weird to me. I figure they would've done it at Damen or California.

The 59 do it at Ashland cuz 6 not too far off Ashland but I don't think it's a tad bit closer to Damen but I don't think the Damen bus goes to 74th so they just do Ashland

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Question about I complaint I've received I got today I was on the 52 this morning and when I turned on kedize off Chicago I seen a man that was blind with a seeing eye dog beautiful Shepard anyways I opened the front door & dropped the bus for him I passenger started tripping about & talking bs I told him to be quiet & stay back I got this when the man started sending threats I did what I did last time put the bus in park & told him let's step off the bus since he wants to send threats another passenger called in on me do anyone know what kinda of discipline I may face if any at all 

All you had to do was deescalate the situation and maintain your composure, If I were placed in that situation I wouldn't even worry about the passenger sending verbal threats to me unless they came up close to me in my personal space and believe me working out of 77th I've had my fair share of close calls with unruly passengers. Just maintain your focus on the disabled passenger and continue in service after that. Whoever called in on you could have done it for several reasons and upon reviewing footage of the incident and how you handled the situation could put you in jeopardy for being terminated after the covid-19 pandemic is over. Next time just remember and follow your SOP's because that situation could of easily resolved itself in my honest opinion.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Wow.  Since I don't work for CTA, I can't say for sure.  The proper things to do was either ignore him. Put him off the bus. Or call the police if you felt threatened.   What you did, though understandable, wasn't professional.   You could actually have been perceived as the aggressor even though you didn't start this.

I know you recently started with CTA.  As a probationary employee. CTA could terminate you.  Whether they do or not is up to them.  Other CTA drivers on this forum can better answer that, but I think if it weren't for coronavirus,  the chances of you being fired would be greater.   

One instructor told me earlier in the week that after the covid-19 winds down that nearly 80 to 90 operators could be terminated for various reasons related to covid-19 along with other unrelated stuff, One being falsifying doctors statements in order to get sick pay in relations to covid-19. It's a fluid situation at the moment at least at my garage. I don't want to spill the beans to much though because I hate to see anyone lose there job.

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Why would a route out of 74th reliving at Ashland be weird. That's always been a thing everything east-west from 74th #59 included

The reason is due to easy access to the garage via ashland since service is more frequent there to transport operators, same goes for Western in relation to the 67 and 49.I believe these E/W routes out of 74th use Ashland as a relief point 47,55,59 and 62.

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The 59 do it at Ashland cuz 6 not too far off Ashland but I don't think it's a tad bit closer to Damen but I don't think the Damen bus goes to 74th so they just do Ashland

74th's east west routes have always used Ashland as the relief point.  That goes all the way back to when the garage was located at 69th and Ashland (which is where the garage code 6 comes from).  Though one could say Damen is a tad closer, Damen only runs during rush periods only.  Now that the 94 serves 74th, the 49 (trips operated by 74th) can do driver reliefs at 69th and Western. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

74th's east west routes have always used Ashland as the relief point.  That goes all the way back to when the garage was located at 69th and Ashland (which is where the garage code 6 comes from).  Though one could say Damen is a tad closer, Damen only runs during rush periods only.  Now that the 94 serves 74th, the 49 (trips operated by 74th) can do driver reliefs at 69th and Western. 

Yea I know where the code comes from when it was on 69th a long time ago just saying guess they decided not to change where they do reliefs at

52 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

All you had to do was deescalate the situation and maintain your composure, If I were placed in that situation I wouldn't even worry about the passenger sending verbal threats to me unless they came up close to me in my personal space and believe me working out of 77th I've had my fair share of close calls with unruly passengers. Just maintain your focus on the disabled passenger and continue in service after that. Whoever called in on you could have done it for several reasons and upon reviewing footage of the incident and how you handled the situation could put you in jeopardy for being terminated after the covid-19 pandemic is over. Next time just remember and follow your SOP's because that situation could of easily resolved itself in my honest opinion.

One instructor told me earlier in the week that after the covid-19 winds down that nearly 80 to 90 operators could be terminated for various reasons related to covid-19 along with other unrelated stuff, One being falsifying doctors statements in order to get sick pay in relations to covid-19. It's a fluid situation at the moment at least at my garage. I don't want to spill the beans to much though because I hate to see anyone lose there job.

Yea I heard that also I know quite a few drivers & rail operators that did that & I just shurgged my shoulders &  thought if you get caught you dust 

@YoungBusLover aw ok bet yea I was talking with another driver that's been driving for 33 years he said long as I didn't jump on the guy or walked up & got in his face the max maybe a 2 day suspension the minimum just get a coaching about not to handle things better instead of handling it the way you would if you had the same kind of in encounter with that person in the streets & I definitely know 79th can be rough 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I've been with then since last year I came from the rails so I got a lil over a year vested I started as a flagman & moved up I've then drove the trains on every line just went & got my CDL's to be on both sides of the game 

Well at least you should get due process.  Hopefully the union can save your job.  Hopefully the worst thing that happens is a written warning or suspension.   I don't want you to lose your job.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Well at least you should get due process.  Hopefully the union can save your job.  Hopefully the worst thing that happens is a written warning or suspension.   I don't want you to lose your job.

Yea I talked to  driver that's been driving 33 years he said long as I didn't run up & get in the guy face I'll just max get 2 days suspended minimum a coaching on how to not handle things like I would if we was really in the streets

Edited by Shannoncvpi
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I said this without realizing how close to Ashland the garage was ?

Yeah. Lol and like others said the fact that it's "father" was actually on Ashland is also a hold over 74th basically has everything 69th did. It's just a bit more out of place with the dead ends surrounding the new site

How come some of the destination headsigns aren't uniform? I was at Midway two days ago and I just realized that while some routes say "to Midway" or "to Midway CTA" some other ones just say "to Orange Line"? I know the 59 and the 165 say the latter

Also slightly related, I think the 79 has the most amount of different headsigns. To date, I've seen:

• "to Lakefront"
  • "to Red Line"
  • "to Wentworth"
  • "to Western"
  • "to Ford City"
  • "to Ford City/Solo Cup"
  • "to Pulaski" (to be fair, I've only seen this once, and its been years"

19 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

How come some of the destination headsigns aren't uniform? I was at Midway two days ago and I just realized that while some routes say "to Midway" or "to Midway CTA" some other ones just say "to Orange Line"? I know the 59 and the 165 say the latter

Also slightly related, I think the 79 has the most amount of different headsigns. To date, I've seen:

• "to Lakefront"
  • "to Red Line"
  • "to Wentworth"
  • "to Western"
  • "to Ford City"

I guess part of it depends on when the signs were programmed.   I'm pretty sure when the Orange Line first opened. the signs said Midway.  I can understand 59th saying Orange Line since the Midway station is located at 59th.  

I've said the same thing concerning the 20 and 56 ending at Michigan.   The 56 says Washington and Michigan,  but the 20 says Millenium Park.  So a tourist or even a resident might let a 56 pass to take a 20 even though they are going to be same place. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

• "to Lakefront"
  • "to Red Line"
  • "to Wentworth"
  • "to Western"
  • "to Ford City"

I think #146 or even #151 has the most headsigns. 

#151 has 

Clark/Devon

Foster

Union Station

Water Tower

Belmont

Belmont/Halsted

#146 has 

museum campus

Harrison/State

Roosevelt

Broadway/Foster

Wilson/Marine

Lake Shore/Grace

Berwyn Red line 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I guess part of it depends on when the signs were programmed.   I'm pretty sure when the Orange Line first opened. the signs said Midway.  I can understand 59th saying Orange Line since the Midway station is located at 59th.  

I've said the same thing concerning the 20 and 56 ending at Michigan.   The 56 says Washington and Michigan,  but the 20 says Millenium Park.  So a tourist or even a resident might let a 56 pass to take a 20 even though they are going to be same place. 

Wow, I hadn't noticed that. I want to say this change (about the orange line) happened when CTA started getting more specific with ending destinations (Austin > Monitor, Harlem > Nordica, Harlem > Neva, etc), This just leads to more questions, like why the 52 and 53 don't do the "## Street-##th" that the 29, 9, 8 & 49 (and I think 28) do. Or why some routes are specific and some are not (for instance, 52A & 53A just say to 115th instead of Springfield-115th, but then you have the 12, 65 & 76 that I mentioned earlier). Wish I had more resources to look into this properly

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

#151 has 

Clark/Devon

Foster

Union Station

Water Tower

Belmont

Belmont/Halsted

#146 has 

museum campus

Harrison/State

Roosevelt

Broadway/Foster

Wilson/Marine

Lake Shore/Grace

Berwyn Red line 

On par with the 79 then, although I'm not surprised. I think I've seen all of these except 151 to Water Tower, where did that come from? Alternative to the 125?

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

#151 has 

Clark/Devon

Foster

Union Station

Water Tower

Belmont

Belmont/Halsted

#146 has 

museum campus

Harrison/State

Roosevelt

Broadway/Foster

Wilson/Marine

Lake Shore/Grace

Berwyn Red line 

151 used to have

Lawrence  (owl service)

Devon

Howard Station

Michigan/Congress 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

On par with the 79 then, although I'm not surprised. I think I've seen all of these except 151 to Water Tower, where did that come from? Alternative to the 125?

The trips starting at Fullerton. After water tower they stage at North Ave then go to Fullerton for another trip South.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Thanks again for your help. This was working great for the first couple of weeks however it seems for the past few days it would work and than break down in the afternoon. Do you experience the same? At this moment the routes do not come up.

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

The trips starting at Fullerton. After water tower they stage at North Ave then go to Fullerton for another trip South.

Also some AM 134's are involved in the interline I don't know what else outside of seeing a lot of 135 artics ending up on the 151 which is part of how the transition to artics happen if y'all were interested lol

3 hours ago, sht6131 said:

Thanks again for your help. This was working great for the first couple of weeks however it seems for the past few days it would work and than break down in the afternoon. Do you experience the same? At this moment the routes do not come up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you. I bookmarked it one day when I came across it and just never sat down to use it.

Have anyone seen this video of CPD officers beating a teen on the bus it appears to be bus 8062 idk what route but CTA is free unless you get a bus with the card reader in the back & second those officers need to be retrained as you see 1 officers his actually getting a kick punching this kid in the ribs