Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

I probably should've posted this a while ago but I was fortunate enough to catch Geoffrey Baer's movie trains for his new documentary "Chicago by 'L'".  This was back in late September of 2019.  4000s at Howard and 6000s along the Purple Line.  Subscribe because I'm trying to beat a rival in subscribers ? but most importantly enjoy and give me feedback.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I probably should've posted this a while ago but I was fortunate enough to catch Geoffrey Baer's movie trains for his new documentary "Chicago by 'L'".  This was back in late September of 2019.  4000s at Howard and 6000s along the Purple Line.  Subscribe because I'm trying to beat a rival in subscribers ? but most importantly enjoy and give me feedback.

Nice catches! I hope I’m not your rival because the only reason I care about subscriptions is to be allowed to monotize my videos. :ph34r:

Does anyone have any experience taking the Hodgkins buses (169, 390, 392, 395, 890)? I'll be moving back to Chicago for 2-5 months on the 1st and I just put in an application, but I don't know how to drive, so that's how I'd have to get to work. I'd most likely be taking the 169 or 395.

Also, I guess I might as well add the 360 to the list? Monee is hiring, but it'd take about 2.5 hours to get there, so I was wondering what the ride was like and if it was honestly worth it for $15-$17 an hour.

25 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Does anyone have any experience taking the Hodgkins buses (169, 390, 392, 395, 890)? I'll be moving back to Chicago for 2-5 months on the 1st and I just put in an application, but I don't know how to drive, so that's how I'd have to get to work. I'd most likely be taking the 169 or 395.

Also, I guess I might as well add the 360 to the list? Monee is hiring, but it'd take about 2.5 hours to get there, so I was wondering what the ride was like and if it was honestly worth it for $15-$17 an hour.

All I know about 392 is that it takes Pershing and Joliet Roads instead of I-55 when there's bad traffic

14 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Nah you're good ? you have not uploaded in a good while though.

Unfortunately with the next Snowflake Special cancelled, the IRM closed, and it being a bad/foolish idea to fly anywhere at the moment, I won’t be able to take any new footage for a while. I still have plenty of unused footage from previous events though, so hopefully I can find some time to cook something up.

54 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Unfortunately with the next Snowflake Special cancelled, the IRM closed, and it being a bad/foolish idea to fly anywhere at the moment, I won’t be able to take any new footage for a while. I still have plenty of unused footage from previous events though, so hopefully I can find some time to cook something up.

The only extra footage I have is NYCT stuff but it doesn't get me views ? I posted an hour long video of IRT trains and it didn't take off.  After that I uploaded a 60 second video of a train at 54th departing and it took off faster

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm assuming you applied to be a package handler at UPS. UPS hires only part time employees. They have four shifts which are approximately six hours each. You would work the same shift each day Monday-Friday, but the exact start and end times would vary based on demand. There are multiple bus trips to choose from to accommodate the schedule. The work is very physical and you must work quickly. If you stay for a few years, you could get promoted to a tractor-trailer driver or possibly a managerial position. UPS workers are unionized and have good pay and benefits.

Amazon shifts are typically 8-12 hours, four days per week which may include any day of the week. I believe they have two shifts per day, with a 2-hour "dynamic shift change" so that not everyone starts and ends at the same time. The catch is that the 360/361 buses only run once for each shift change. If you take the bus, you'll be spending almost 12 hours there no matter how many hours you work. With the 2.5 hour commute, you'd have an 18 hour work day. I wouldn't recommend this option because fatigue can easily cause a workplace accident, especially when safety issues already exist (a common complaint of Amazon workers). The work at Amazon is also very fast-paced and physical, but probably slightly less so than UPS. I'm not sure what promotion opportunities exist here. Amazon is nonunion.

Both UPS and Amazon bus routes tend to have relatively high ridership which doesn't seem to have slowed much during the COVID-19 crisis. These companies say they need more workers to keep up with demand, so bus ridership could possibly increase, unlike every other route. Riding these buses may be too risky if, for example, you live with a vulnerable person.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

The only extra footage I have is NYCT stuff but it doesn't get me views ? I posted an hour long video of IRT trains and it didn't take off.  After that I uploaded a 60 second video of a train at 54th departing and it took off faster

Some of my stuff gets a lot of views and some doesn’t. Most of the time I understand why the video is popular compared to others, for example my rejected takeoff video, but then I have some videos that just suddenly get views and I’m like huh? Not complaining though!

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I'm volunteering at IRM and trust me it's disappointing what's going on.  The IRM charter should be rescheduled though.  This virus is holding everyone back.

I hope they can reschedule and reopen. I live only 15-20 minutes away from the museum. I have Sundays off and ever since I went for their Labor Day night operations event I’ve really wanted to go back. So much more to see than I covered and I completely missed the barn with the L cars in it...

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I'm assuming you applied to be a package handler at UPS. UPS hires only part time employees. They have four shifts which are approximately six hours each. You would work the same shift each day Monday-Friday, but the exact start and end times would vary based on demand. There are multiple bus trips to choose from to accommodate the schedule. The work is very physical and you must work quickly. If you stay for a few years, you could get promoted to a tractor-trailer driver or possibly a managerial position. UPS workers are unionized and have good pay and benefits.

Amazon shifts are typically 8-12 hours, four days per week which may include any day of the week. I believe they have two shifts per day, with a 2-hour "dynamic shift change" so that not everyone starts and ends at the same time. The catch is that the 360/361 buses only run once for each shift change. If you take the bus, you'll be spending almost 12 hours there no matter how many hours you work. With the 2.5 hour commute, you'd have an 18 hour work day. I wouldn't recommend this option because fatigue can easily cause a workplace accident, especially when safety issues already exist (a common complaint of Amazon workers). The work at Amazon is also very fast-paced and physical, but probably slightly less so than UPS. I'm not sure what promotion opportunities exist here. Amazon is nonunion.

Both UPS and Amazon bus routes tend to have relatively high ridership which doesn't seem to have slowed much during the COVID-19 crisis. These companies say they need more workers to keep up with demand, so bus ridership could possibly increase, unlike every other route. Riding these buses may not be too risky if, for example, you live with a vulnerable person.

Hodgkins only had 3 options (4:30a-9:30a, 4:30p-9:30p, 10:30p-3:30a) and I chose the daytime one but apparently they don't need anyone for that shift. I really just didn't want to be waiting at 79th/Western, 79th/Halsted or 95th Red Line outside of regular commuting hours. They won't let me pick another preferred shift, so that's in limbo too. I didn't realize the buses would be crowded but I guess that's the point of them. I'll also leave Amazon alone then. Thanks for answering!

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Hodgkins only had 3 options (4:30a-9:30a, 4:30p-9:30p, 10:30p-3:30a) and I chose the daytime one but apparently they don't need anyone for that shift. I really just didn't want to be waiting at 79th/Western, 79th/Halsted or 95th Red Line outside of regular commuting hours. They won't let me pick another preferred shift, so that's in limbo too. I didn't realize the buses would be crowded but I guess that's the point of them. I'll also leave Amazon alone then. Thanks for answering!

The buses dont get that crowded. The #169 always runs with artics. They are surprisingly fast. I was driving a few shuttles for the xmas season. Mostly down 95th and 79th. The #169 gets alot of riders at night when I was shuttling. The workers seem to complain about there jobs. I always talked with my riders. They claim they dont get breaks. The hodgkins complex is very impressive from the outside. They have two bus stations serving opposite ends of the complex. Sometimes they complain they got erratic service. They liked our supplemental shuttle. It was cut short due to Amazon now having there own delivery Van's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

This coronavirus stuff is getting silly.  On Pace buses,there are signs posted on some seats to remain empty, including signs on the accessible seats.  On all 3 of my Pace rides, someone sat in the handicap seats.  Just one person on each bus sat there.  Two of the drivers had no issue (Male drivers).  The third driver did even though this passenger had a cane and told her he had a bad knee.  She wouldn't move bus untsoeone else gave up his seat to move to the rear.   He was trying to sit in the accessible seat furthest from the driver and he maintained the social distancing required.   I think she should've used some sense and let him stay where he was.

1 hour ago, geneking7320 said:

I've noticed that Nova's from the 103rd Garage have the seat behind the driver roped off for "social distancing".

Is CTA doing this for the 7900s system wide?

9 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yes, some of our #1000s are getting that done as well.

I can understand roping off the seat immediately behind the driver on the Novas to a small ascent.  However,  that seat is literally walled off from the driver.  So unless the virus travels around that wall.... 

The New Flyers have no such seat.  So are they doing something similar to what I ascribed to Pace West this morning?  Pace didn't actually rope off the accessible seats, but had a paper sign there (and throughout the buses) stating they were intentionally keeping certain seats empty.   If CTA actually rope off the accessible seats,  what to they do if they get a wheelchair passenger, or a passenger who is elderly, or a pregnant passenger,  or a passenger with an oversized baby stroller?

What sense would it make to rope off or restrict passengers from the accessible seats?  There is a wheel well that gives ample distance between those seats and the driver.  If you want to protect the drivers, have them use the shields.  If buses don't have them, get them installed.   To be honest, the best chance for a driver to get the virus from a passenger is during boarding and alighting.  What CTA and Pace can try is to make all passengers except wheelchair, elderly, pregnant,  and baby stroller passengers exit from the rear.  This could be a good time to implement this so passengers will have adjusted to this before things get better.   Oh the insanity that the overreaction to this virus is causing.

22 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Did you guys hear about the big accident this morning? I guess #8023 is OOS. I'm trying to figure out how a bus can be pushed onto the sidewalk? Looks as if it was pushed into a building also. Buses are heavy and can take a hit. Guy must have been flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13zPw-03S1g

i seen it that car is totaled i wanna know how fast he was going

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So there was an accident at 69th and Halsted involving a CTA bus and an attack and robbery on a CTA bus driver that resulted in a crash st 94th and Ashland.   I don't know if they happened in the same day.

8023 was the one involved yesterday morning with a car the robbery happened the same night which resulted in 8015 to knock a sign post down

• 2 weeks later...