Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

On the blue line tracks thats where I saw it going to this morning cuz my daughter was like dad look a train choo choo

Runs 319, 320 (AM) and 322 (PM) are UIC-Hasted to Jefferson Park runs using 54th Ave equipment for the peak hour 

17 hours ago, Policeman said:

Why... 

4013 53A: South Pulaski 53A-756 7 (77th)

17 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Why not?

236354182_875093563445543_6552918074260466680_n.jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

On the one hand   the 53A wouldn't seem like the best place to use an artic.  On the other hand,  it's better to have an artic than no bus at all..

There's precedent to having artics on South Pulaski.   The old 162 Pulaski /Stevenson Express used to run MAN artics before the opening of the Orange line    it is a heavy corridor,  especially between 79th and the Orange Line.   Thus an artic is not a waste of equipment on this route.

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

On the one hand   the 53A wouldn't seem like the best place to use an artic.  On the other hand,  it's better to have an artic than no bus at all..

There's precedent to having artics on South Pulaski.   The old 162 Pulaski /Stevenson Express used to run MAN artics before the opening of the Orange line    it is a heavy corridor,  especially between 79th and the Orange Line.   Thus an artic is not a waste of equipment on this route.

Not to mention the 53 itself getting artics as a result of the pandemic. Although that wasn't as surprising as consistently seeing them on the 54

On 8/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh wow I not sure if it's there I don't know where they keep it but usually I never see the IRM train. I always do check the front sign of the train to make sure it's the right one especially when i'm downtown

It's an IRM train? I haven't taken the Orange Line in about a year, but every time I've seen the train, it's a 4- or 6-car consist sitting towards the back of the yard (furthest from the station) on the right hand side. Very easily visible from any arriving Orange Line train into Midway.

2 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It's an IRM train? I haven't taken the Orange Line in about a year, but every time I've seen the train, it's a 4- or 6-car consist sitting towards the back of the yard (furthest from the station) on the right hand side. Very easily visible from any arriving Orange Line train into Midway.

I think so since it's a special events train. If you talking about the ones with the red stripes then those are the work train cars they are used for special work cases

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1ymJ_OsNUt6STqkeNU2ZxdSyXhxDkEzXp&usp=sharing

I couldn't find one, so I made a map of all the CTA routes color coded by garage. For shared routes, I just put what I assumed was their primary garage (NP for 151, K for 12, etc). Couple of observations:

• Assuming FG is it's primary garage, the 206 is the only route in the system not to cross paths with any other route in its garage
  • Without the 56, 62 & 157, FG, 76th & Chicago respectively, wouldn't have any routes that enter the loop (defined as Wacker, Harrison, Michigan)
  • 103rd has the most routes (24), with Kedzie (21) and Forest Glen (20) rounding out the top 3.
    • 74th has 19, NP has 16, 77th with 14 and Chicago with 13. By contrast, 77th & Chicago are the largest garages by the amount of buses they have (I could be wrong here)
  • CTA is really good about staying within the city limits (other than the 21, I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been partially or fully truncated to 54th/Cermak
  • The 128 isn't listed under any garage at chicagobus.org so I defaulted to Kedzie for that. Same for the X98 and Forest Glen since it ends at Jeff Pk
  • As the bird flies, the 54B's northern terminus is actually closer to Chicago than Ford City is to 74th lol
  • The route that travels the farthest from its home garage seems to be the 49

And some questions:

• Why does Chicago have the 157? Does it interline with the 65 or 66?
  • I didn't know K had the 35, but it makes sense. The 39 is interesting though, why is that not at 77th?
    • Although this was asked a couple months ago, the same point is still relevant for the 171/172
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I think so since it's a special events train. If you talking about the ones with the red stripes then those are the work train cars they are used for special work cases

Ah, then it's a work train I've been seeing. No roof panels, which is why I didn't think about that

28 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1ymJ_OsNUt6STqkeNU2ZxdSyXhxDkEzXp&usp=sharing

I couldn't find one, so I made a map of all the CTA routes color coded by garage. For shared routes, I just put what I assumed was their primary garage (NP for 151, K for 12, etc). Couple of observations:

• Assuming FG is it's primary garage, the 206 is the only route in the system not to cross paths with any other route in its garage
  • Without the 56, 62 & 157, FG, 76th & Chicago respectively, wouldn't have any routes that enter the loop (defined as Wacker, Harrison, Michigan)
  • 103rd has the most routes (24), with Kedzie (21) and Forest Glen (20) rounding out the top 3.
    • 74th has 19, NP has 16, 77th with 14 and Chicago with 13. By contrast, 77th & Chicago are the largest garages by the amount of buses they have (I could be wrong here)
  • CTA is really good about staying within the city limits (other than the 21, I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been partially or fully truncated to 54th/Cermak
  • The 128 isn't listed under any garage at chicagobus.org so I defaulted to Kedzie for that. Same for the X98 and Forest Glen since it ends at Jeff Pk
  • As the bird flies, the 54B's northern terminus is actually closer to Chicago than Ford City is to 74th lol
  • Without taking interlines into account

And some questions:

• I didn't know K had the 35, but it makes sense. The 39 is interesting though, why is that not at 77th?
    • Although this was asked a couple months ago, the same point is still relevant for the 171/172

When Archer closed,  the 35 and 39, along with the 43 went to 77th  with the 21, 60 and 62 going to K.  The driver reliefs were done at 35th Red Line station for the 35 and 39.  I think K was also handling the 8 at that time also.  The CTA switched the 62 to 74th and the 8 to 77th,  and K took the 35 and 39, since driver reliefs on those 2 routes could be done on Jedzie and ia a one seat short ride to K.  Also it's a shorter deadhead at the end of the night. 

The 157 was switched from K to C to lighten the load on K and to create some garage space, which is why it also gave up the 8 and 62.  Remember K has artics too.

When the U if C routes were created,  they initially ran out of 103rd since it was a straight shot down Stony Island to get to the UofC.   CTA decided to consolidate the south side Optima buses which were used on those routes to Archer garage since they were using Optima on the 39 and 43.  However,  when Archer closed,  they went back to 103rd.  Those routes eventually went to 40 ft buses when the Optima were retired.

The 21 used to terminate at 54/Cermak.   CTA had a 25 West Cermak route that ran between 53/Cermak and North Riverside mall.  The schedule was coordinating with the 322.  I forgot what year, but CTA decided to consolidate the 21 and 25, which is why the 21 ends at North Riverside Mall.  It provides a one seat ride for CTA customers east of Laramie to the mall.  This was the beginning of the death knell of Pace route 304, which provided supplemental service between 53/Cermak and N Riverside Mall.   With the increased frequency CTA provided,  Pace was eventually forced to Truncate the 394 to the mall before eventually cutting the route altogether 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

• Without taking interlines into account

And some questions:

K had the 157 at 1 point cux it had 700 on it a long time ago but 157 got sent to C

14 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

When Archer closed,  the 35 and 39, along with the 43 went to 77th  with the 21, 60 and 62 going to K.  The driver reliefs were done at 35th Red Line station for the 35 and 39.  I think K was also handling the 8 at that time also.  The CTA switched the 62 to 74th and the 8 to 77th,  and K took the 35 and 39, since driver reliefs on those 2 routes could be done on Jedzie and ia a one seat short ride to K.  Also it's a shorter deadhead at the end of the night. 

The 157 was switched from K to C to lighten the load on K and to create some garage space, which is why it also gave up the 8 and 62.  Remember K has artics too.

When the U if C routes were created,  they initially ran out of 103rd since it was a straight shot down Stony Island to get to the UofC.   CTA decided to consolidate the south side Optima buses which were used on those routes to Archer garage since they were using Optima on the 39 and 43.  However,  when Archer closed,  they went back to 103rd.  Those routes eventually went to 40 ft buses when the Optima were retired.

I remember 35 & 39 at 8 & K had the 8 but I agree to 24th & cicero its shoert from K then to have a 7 bus come from way east to go start west & I had the 39 today 

Speaking of garage assignments and the 10, I've always wondered why it runs completely from Kedzie and isn't at least shared with 103rd, especially considering that Kedzie is always struggling with space. Looking at the schedule, there are three northbound-only trips in the afternoon, and I think those could run as 26 deadheads from 103rd instead. Additionally, since the 10 only uses a few buses at a time (I believe maximum 5), I feel like some of the 26's morning trips could turn into the 10 at Water Tower and then operate throughout the day. In terms of reliefs, the MSI isn't too far from 57th/Stony Island, so drivers can just walk there and hop on either the 15 or 28 to 103rd. I know I've mentioned this idea before, but last time I don't think I made it very clear what I was proposing.

15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Doesn't the 37 (a Chicago route) also operate in the loop?

1 minute ago, Anthony Devera said:

Speaking of garage assignments and the 10, I've always wondered why it runs completely from Kedzie and isn't at least shared with 103rd, especially considering that Kedzie is always struggling with space. Looking at the schedule, there are three northbound-only trips in the afternoon, and I think those could run as 26 deadheads from 103rd instead. Additionally, since the 10 only uses a few buses at a time (I believe maximum 5), I feel like some of the 26's morning trips could turn into the 10 at Water Tower and then operate throughout the day. In terms of reliefs, the MSI isn't too far from 57th/Stony Island, so drivers can just walk there and hop on either the 15 or 28 to 103rd. I know I've mentioned this idea before, but last time I don't think I made it very clear what I was proposing.

Doesn't the 37 (a Chicago route) also operate in the loop?

Yes it does goes from the Fullerton red brown purple to I’m pretty sure the blue line Clinton station.