Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

58 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Nice job, most prototype buses don’t really see service like the rest of the fleet, I believe the reason why the original #6400 didn’t have the number on it probably because there was a second #6400 so they wouldn’t get two buses with the same number mixed up lol if that’s the case but that one was sold, same goes for the in service #1000 that was built in 2007 that replaced the original #1000 that also don’t have the number as of today built in late 2005.

Yea I wonder did they sell those to sims for scrap or some other bus agceny to use it cuz both those aint got no miles on it

8 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I went to see 8350 up close & person I think they should have tinted the driver window also since this bus has a number on but called a prototype it will it ever go into serivce cuz all the other prototypes didnt have a number on it like how the 6400 prototype didnt 

thing is i don’t think this is a prototype there exactly the same as 8325 series so these won’t even be tested at all i don’t think they’ll just go straight into service 

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

thing is i don’t think this is a prototype there exactly the same as 8325 series so these won’t even be tested at all i don’t think they’ll just go straight into service 

Naw I knoe they gone wait til the first 100 come in before they jump off the porch 

12 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Naw I knoe they gone wait til the first 100 come in before they jump off the porch 

I think they will be tested.   The 8325s weren't tested because they were an option exercised from the 7900s which were tested.   About 50 of those were already delivered to SS before the first of those buses went into revenue service.  

Based on this being a new order, I think they will be tested.   They shouldn't have to have 100 delivered before they start revenue service,  but once they do, subsequent buses that come through the exercised options won't be tested.   If these models are exactly like the 7900s,  then the test period should be short.

42 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I think they will be tested.   The 8325s weren't tested because they were an option exercised from the 7900s which were tested.   About 50 of those were already delivered to SS before the first of those buses went into revenue service.  

Based on this being a new order, I think they will be tested.   They shouldn't have to have 100 delivered before they start revenue service,  but once they do, subsequent buses that come through the exercised options won't be tested.   If these models are exactly like the 7900s,  then the test period should be short.

Plus there is supposed to be a mechanics prototype as well. Where is the other? Probably being taken apart and inspected and ran in one of the shops. So CTA should know what they are getting. If the AC problems are fixed and it's a good quality bus then that will open the doors to future orders of artics or electric buses. 

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Plus there is supposed to be a mechanics prototype as well. Where is the other? Probably being taken apart and inspected and ran in one of the shops. So CTA should know what they are getting. If the AC problems are fixed and it's a good quality bus then that will open the doors to future orders of artics or electric buses. 

They probably going to either make that bus a prototype and rebuild another 8350 (like they did with 1000) or just put them into service just to get the 6400s out

8 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

CTA could really benefit from some 30ft/35ft electric buses.

2 minutes ago, Policeman said:

They probably going to either make that bus a prototype and rebuild another 8350 (like they did with 1000) or just put them into service just to get the 6400s out

I'd run it in limited service at 77th. This way they can see how it functions in real time conditions. Didnt it say on the bus it was the pilot? If so that's the first bus of the order. The mechanics prototype will be the one that doesnt see service but there are 2 prototypes coming 8350 is just one of them. 

Nova bus probably  has a bunch already built they are just waiting for the ok on the prototype. They have to keep up with the order they've had a year to get a running head start. 

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

CTA could really benefit from some 30ft/35ft electric buses.

True but they need to be careful ordering too many electrics. The technology is already starting to change on the auto level. Right now a solar car is being tested that runs 1/17th of the power of an electric and charges for a few months. Plus you have the added benefit of charging on the go. Something that is kind of a drawback for electric cars. Plus the sun is free no charge, so essentially that's free gas. Imagine no towers or infrastructure. They just need to figure out how to make the sun shine here in the winter cause its always gray. 

Just now, BusHunter said:

True but they need to be careful ordering too many electrics. The technology is already starting to change on the auto level. Right now a solar car is being tested that runs 1/17th of the power of an electric and charges for a few months. Plus you have the added benefit of charging on the go. Something that is kind of a drawback for electric cars. Plus the sun is free no charge, so essentially that's free gas. Imagine no towers or infrastructure. They just need to figure out how to make the sun shine here in the winter cause its always gray. 

Eh, let Seattle tackle that issue, and everyone else can reap the benefits

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I'd run it in limited service at 77th. This way they can see how it functions in real time conditions. Didnt it say on the bus it was the pilot? If so that's the first bus of the order. The mechanics prototype will be the one that doesnt see service but there are 2 prototypes coming 8350 is just one of them. 

Nova bus probably  has a bunch already built they are just waiting for the ok on the prototype. They have to keep up with the order they've had a year to get a running head start. 

8350-51 might be prototypes but who knows you see how long it took 7900-01 to come into service? years but speaking of prototypes what ever happened to 4300 i remember he seen service a few times out of 103rd

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Sounds like it’ll be #8350 and then the incoming #8351 will be the second prototype if I’m right in this scenario.