Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

They are pronounced the same but have different meanings.  A synonym for PHASE might be stage. Also PHASED could signal a beginning ir end of a stage as in phasing out a bus or train series.  The word Fazed is to be affected or to give thought, care,  or concern to.  In the context given,  FAZED is the correct word.

According to the OED, "to phase" is both an alternative spelling of "to faze", and its own verb.

While it's certainly not an everyday verb, "to phase" has its own range of meanings, one example from the dictionary "bablah introduced a phased programmed" - anything with phases and phasers could apply.

15 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

And yet, the city is reaping what it sows now.....The fact that the newest buses in the fleet have the latest technology in regards to camera quality and yet the criminals themselves aren't phased by it.

This is the original quote and the proper word @strictures was referring to is FAZED. Dictionary

Com says

Fazed " Adjective disconcerted. Worried. Concerned

Based on your use in the last sentence of the above paragraph,  this faze is the proper word.

But I totally agree with your overall sentiment.  The criminals don't care. 

14 hours ago, Javi75 said:

Unfortunately these people have nothing to lose, they have no regard for their own lives.

I find it hard to believe that 14-17 year olds are on a suicide mission.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I find it hard to believe that 14-17 year olds are on a suicide mission.

Being in the city,  I realize that a lot of these young people don't expect to live past 25 years old.  They're hoping just to see tomorrow.    

• Upvote 1

The underbelly of developers and CTA aacording to the Sun-Times: "The Democratic National Convention is using CTA offices near the United Center sublet from Chicago developer Scott Goodman, whose company has stiffed the CTA and Cook County for more than $2 million in rent and property taxes." While the usual stuff about how developers use LLCs (I'm sure no one else here is concerned about that), the CTA connected question is why CTA is having this developer building a new control center, while the supposedly secret control center at 120 N. Racine is mostly empty? Of course, the Board of Pastors is oblivious  to the details of these deals.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Interesting that Chicago is under a tornado warning, even downtown, and the CTA website shows normal service on all Lines.

When the storm passed over me in Rogers Park, there weren't any high winds, just heavy rain that started at 10:02 PM & lasted maybe 20 minutes, followed by another hour of light rain.  In total. just a bit under an inch of rain here.  Got far more rain Saturday night into Sunday morning, 1.65 inches according to the rain gauge in my back yard.

But as usual, Metra went into panic mode & shut down their trains, with the usual high winds are the cause.  I had several Metra alert emails to that effect, but certainly not as many as 10 years ago, when the Union Pacific dispatchers in Omaha would shut it down at just a hint of 40 MPH winds.  Now Metra does have the occasional tree falling on the tracks during these events, which the CTA doesn't have to worry about, as they've cut down all the trees that used to grow on the embankment on the Far North Side.

As for the tornado warning, at least this time it was appropriate for the city to use the sirens, but I also remember a number of years ago, when there was a warning in far South Orland Park, some idiot in City Hall set off all the sirens in the city, even 40 miles away here in Rogers Park!

2 hours ago, strictures said:

When the storm passed over me in Rogers Park, there weren't any high winds, just heavy rain that started at 10:02 PM & lasted maybe 20 minutes, followed by another hour of light rain.  In total. just a bit under an inch of rain here.  Got far more rain Saturday night into Sunday morning, 1.65 inches according to the rain gauge in my back yard.

But as usual, Metra went into panic mode & shut down their trains, with the usual high winds are the cause.  I had several Metra alert emails to that effect, but certainly not as many as 10 years ago, when the Union Pacific dispatchers in Omaha would shut it down at just a hint of 40 MPH winds.  Now Metra does have the occasional tree falling on the tracks during these events, which the CTA doesn't have to worry about, as they've cut down all the trees that used to grow on the embankment on the Far North Side.

As for the tornado warning, at least this time it was appropriate for the city to use the sirens, but I also remember a number of years ago, when there was a warning in far South Orland Park, some idiot in City Hall set off all the sirens in the city, even 40 miles away here in Rogers Park!

Considering the high winds and the multiple spotted tornados in the suburbs coupled with the height of the Metra cars, it was very wise to shut  down Metra service.  There are YouTube videos of trains trying to navigate tornados or extremely high winds only for the train to end up derailing.  Fortunately those were freight trains and not passenger trains.  

Perhaps with buildings that help buffer the winds, CTA did not have to curtail or suspended service. 

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Better to have a siren go off just in case than to not have it go off and something does happen 🤷

Hey everyone, 

I'm doing a little research for a website about CTA history I have, and I'm curious if anyone could help me out with this: looking for times / incidents where severe weather (thunderstorm, flooding, tornado) disrupted CTA service in any notable way. Could be either rail or bus service, but I'm looking for notable incidents to have occurred over the past 50 years or so. if you remember anything, feel free to share

Oh wow. This is why my UP-W train back from Elmhurst, due at 11:13 pm, did not arrive until 11:50 pm. 😬

This made my CTA connection pretty restricted. I'll refer in these photographs of Cicero & Lake.

green288-cicero.jpg

green290-cicero.jpg

2 hours ago, 18thalek said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm doing a little research for a website about CTA history I have, and I'm curious if anyone could help me out with this: looking for times / incidents where severe weather (thunderstorm, flooding, tornado) disrupted CTA service in any notable way. Could be either rail or bus service, but I'm looking for notable incidents to have occurred over the past 50 years or so. if you remember anything, feel free to share

The Underground Flood of 1992 comes to mind, the Loop subway tunnels flooded.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

The Underground Flood of 1992 comes to mind, the Loop subway tunnels flooded.

However, that wasn't severe weather.A contractor at the Grand Ave. bridge punctured the river bottom, flooding a freight tunnel and then the rest of the underground, including the CTA subways.

Main CTA weather caused disruption was the blizzard of 1979 (chicago-l.org page). There's also plenty of pictures of stalled buses in the blizzard of 1967, and on LSD in the blizzard of 2011.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

However, that wasn't severe weather.A contractor at the Grand Ave. bridge punctured the river bottom, flooding a freight tunnel and then the rest of the underground, including the CTA subways.

Main CTA weather caused disruption was the blizzard of 1979 (chicago-l.org page). There's also plenty of pictures of stalled buses in the blizzard of 1967, and on LSD in the blizzard of 2011.

He said notable incidents & the flood was notable. 

WTF is going on? Sun-Times:

"A group of adolescents, including an 11-year-old girl, is facing felony charges after they allegedly beat up a man on a CTA train earlier this month, police said.

On July 8, the group — a 16-year-old boy, 15 year-old-girl, 14-year-old boy and 11-year-old girl — was on a[n Orange Line] train in the first block of West Congress Parkway {probably not, and isn't that Ida B. Wells Dr. at Congress Circle] when they began battering a 63-year-old man, according to Chicago police. They also took his belongings."

Ea

17 minutes ago, Busjack said:

WTF is going on? Sun-Times:

"A group of adolescents, including an 11-year-old girl, is facing felony charges after they allegedly beat up a man on a CTA train earlier this month, police said.

On July 8, the group — a 16-year-old boy, 15 year-old-girl, 14-year-old boy and 11-year-old girl — was on a[n Orange Line] train in the first block of West Congress Parkway {probably not, and isn't that Ida B. Wells Dr. at Congress Circle] when they began battering a 63-year-old man, according to Chicago police. They also took his belongings."

Ea

Rhe passenger got on at Library/State and Van Buren.  He quickly figured out he chose the wrong car.   He was going to attempt to get off at LaSalle but he accidentally bumped into one of the teens.  They then proceeded to attack him.   He was able to get off at Quincy, but so did the teens who continued the attack on the platform  before fleeing.

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

Rhe passenger got on at Library/State and Van Buren.  He quickly figured out he chose the wrong car.   He was going to attempt to get off at LaSalle but he accidentally bumped into one of the teens.  They then proceeded to attack him.   He was able to get off at Quincy, but so did the teens who continued the attack on the platform  before fleeing.

Makes more sense. I guess the cops don't know where the 200 block of S. Wells is.

But the real question is "why is an 11 year old girl into train robbery?"

1 hour ago, strictures said:

Probably the sister of one of the criminals & she was just along for the ride!

Depends on the meaning of "along for the ride." In that "... an 11-year-old girl, is facing felony charges ..." the police and state's attorney had cause that she was a participant, rather than an observer.