CTA adds #157 & #52/94 Bus Pilots.

CircleSeven

During today's board meeting, the CTA has approved two new one-year pilots.

• The #157 Streeterville/Taylor will be extended to operate on Ogden Ave. west of California to the Pulaski Pink Line Station.
  • The CTA is also realigning the #52 & #94 routes. The #52 will operate on Kedzie to Chicago Ave. and will terminate at Sacramento. While the #94 will terminate at Addison & Rockwell, using the California segment currently used by the #52.

The pilots will go in effect on April 19.

This will be the first time in almost 12 years an Ogden bus will be operating west of California.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

• The #157 Streeterville/Taylor will be extended to operate on Ogden Ave. west of California to the Pulaski Pink Line Station.
  • The CTA is also realigning the #52 & #94 routes. The #52 will operate on Kedzie to Chicago Ave. and will terminate at Sacramento. While the #94 will terminate at Addison & Rockwell, using the California segment currently used by the #52.

This will be the first time in almost 12 years an Ogden bus will be operating west of California.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

For some reason, I think the 52 and the 94 are going to swap northern terminals, although I have no evidence to back that up and is just intuition on my part. In regards to the 157, I've always believed that section of Ogden should have at least rush hour service. Personally, if they want to really capture new ridership, they'd extend it to Cicero/24th Pl, since it would give people access to the Walmart and transfer connections. Between the various iterations of the 37, 38 and 157 though, this has to be the most modified route other than maybe the 1

Well, looks like I was right. Maybe time to call the 157 the Streeterville/Ogden now ?

• Haha 1

Really?? Wow!!!!????

I feel like if this pilot is successful, then 52 and 52A can be merged into one route. This would reduce duplication on that stretch of Kedzie and save some service hours, and the full route would be only about 16 miles long.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I feel like if this pilot is successful, then 52 and 52A can be merged into one route. This would reduce duplication on that stretch of Kedzie and save some service hours, and the full route would be only about 16 miles long.

Only 16 miles is still a lot. Chicago to 115th is an incredible distance to cover. We don't need another 9, I can't think of another route that takes an 1hr 30m to complete 1-way (traffic and other circumstances not withstanding)

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Will the 94 continue straight on California or still serve that segment of Sacremento?

California Ave. doesn't go straight through because of the train tracks north of Fulton. So the #94 buses normally turn west on Fulton to Sacramento. When the route gets extended this Spring, it will turn east from Sacramento to Chicago Ave. and then back north on California.

• Thanks 1

I dont know about these pilots. Looks like to me they are trying to cut service on the north end of California. The #94 doesnt run as late as the #52 and not as frequent. Plus the service is not as good not necessarily as a result of the operators but of the traffic. Around 26th/cal they is alot of traffic and alot of stops most time service at the orange line sb can have crazy bunching like 5 bus bunching especially on friday afternoons. The #94 cause it goes to 74th and damen is already a long route. I dont see the benefit of making it longer. 

The odgen extension has alot of service around it like the pink line or 16th/18th bus service. I dont think any more riders are going to flock to it than they did before. 

6 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, you are correct. The 52 will end at Kedzie/Chicago and the 94 will be extended to Addison. The article also mentions a holistic, system-wide bus service study, which has never been done before.

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I dont know about these pilots. Looks like to me they are trying to cut service on the north end of California. The #94 doesnt run as late as the #52 and not as frequent. Plus the service is not as good not necessarily as a result of the operators but of the traffic. Around 26th/cal they is alot of traffic and alot of stops most time service at the orange line sb can have crazy bunching like 5 bus bunching especially on friday afternoons. The #94 cause it goes to 74th and damen is already a long route. I dont see the benefit of making it longer. 

The odgen extension has alot of service around it like the pink line or 16th/18th bus service. I dont think any more riders are going to flock to it than they did before. 

Well, the reason given for the Ogden extension was economic growth. I have to agree with you there, I'm not sure what they expect to see (although I'll always maintain there should be least peak service along the corridor)

In regards to the 94 and 52, both routes actually start around the same time (weekday 94 actually starts earlier than 52) and outside of peak, they maintain the same frequency (generally 10,12-15 mins wkdys & 15,18-20 mins wknds), which is probably why the switch is cost-neutral. The the 94 does end earlier, but only by about an hour on Saturdays and two on Sundays, which isn't too bad since the 49 & Blue Line run parallel for the north of Chicago portions

The reason they give is so that north side riders have access to (or rather, will choose to ride to) the less crowded Green Line. I'll say that reasoning is suspect to me, since the 52 already serves the Green Line, but I can see why CTA might think the general ridership wouldn't see that as faster since Kedzie is west of California. Apparently, existing riders are choosing to ride north to the Blue Line instead of south to the Green Line, so by making the California bus serve the California stop, maybe it'll be more obvious. Possibly, they might be hoping to attract north of Milwaukee riders as well, although, in the time it takes the bus to get from California/Milwaukee to California/Lake, a Blue Line train arriving shortly after can make it potentially to Jackson, if not LaSalle in that same timeframe, so it'll be interesting to see if CTA's bet on people willing to sacrifice time in exchange for a less crowded trip will pan out.

EDIT: Also, petition to have it temporarily be the "52 Kedzie" and "94 California"?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

What would be the point of switching both routes lol

From the article that was linked:

The other change will start April 19, and will extend the #94 California route north from Chicago to Addison Street. Currently, the route cuts off at Chicago. The parallel #52 Kedzie/California will stop at Chicago, instead of going east and then north along California.

The idea behind the cost-free change is to make it easier for residents of Logan Square and Humboldt Park to choose to ride the California bus south to the California stop of the Green Line station, instead of going north to the O’Hare branch of the Blue Line. The Blue Line, which runs through neighborhoods seeing extensive residential development, is extremely crowded during rush hour, while the Green Line has more room, Connelly said.

CTA spokesman Brian Steele said the realignment would give travelers a “more direct, more convenient” way to get to a less crowded train line. He noted that the current Kedzie and California routes date back to street car days, 100 years ago.

Maybe theyll change the schedule. The #94 makes too many turns it's not direct. That hurts it. They might get some riders for the green line but really there is no reason to go that way unless your going to oak park or west loop. That's one reason why it gets so bunched up. You realize it makes 16 turns now. That may he the most in the system. While this would take it down to 13. It takes time to make lefts and right in a bus. It's not as cut and dry as a car especially in busy areas that make the turns painfully slow. In a packed bus scenario i can see the issues those face on that route. It definitely would be a challenge to drive. 

19 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

From the article that was linked:

Sounds like blue line overcrowding is the issue. Unfortunately that stop gets high foot traffic. That area is a hot spot for uber it rivals belmont/kimball and belmont/red line as other hot spots. That just goes to show the volume that is coming  through that stop. 

57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe theyll change the schedule. The #94 makes too many turns it's not direct. That hurts it. They might get some riders for the green line but really there is no reason to go that way unless your going to oak park or west loop. That's one reason why it gets so bunched up. You realize it makes 16 turns now. That may he the most in the system. While this would take it down to 13. It takes time to make lefts and right in a bus. It's not as cut and dry as a car especially in busy areas that make the turns painfully slow. In a packed bus scenario i can see the issues those face on that route. It definitely would be a challenge to drive. 

Might be worth it to reroute it completely via 71st or 69th. I always wondered why it took those weird turns to 74th. I also wonder how many people are using that Orange Line transfer at Western, the 94 didn't always used to serve the station, right?

51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Sounds like blue line overcrowding is the issue. Unfortunately that stop gets high foot traffic. That area is a hot spot for uber it rivals belmont/kimball and belmont/red line as other hot spots. That just goes to show the volume that is coming  through that stop. 

California is the 18th-busiest non-loop station in the system, and ranks higher if you just remove all the downtowns stops. I didn't realize it was that high.

15 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I can possibly see the #157 extension being successful. I been told that Ogden west of California was being demanded bus service along the street being some local residents for some time now. So this could be a promising opportunity.

Now with the #52 & #94, I’m not all 100% with that. Is there really reason to shorten the route along #52 when does fine as it is? It should at least terminate a little more  north of Kedzie/Chicago, perhaps at Milwaukee/Kedzie (Logan Square Blue Line) to still maintain a connection to Blue Line trains. But that’s just how I see it, have to wait and see the result on that. The #94, I think the bus have to many turning points along the route as it. I suppose it would save riders time & money for those going to Chicago Ave to transfer to the #52 continuing north on California but that about all I can see on that one.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Might be worth it to reroute it completely via 71st or 69th. I always wondered why it took those weird turns to 74th. I also wonder how many people are using that Orange Line transfer at Western, the 94 didn't always used to serve the station, right?

California is the 18th-busiest non-loop station in the system, and ranks higher if you just remove all the downtowns stops. I didn't realize it was that high.

Considering it’s near Mount Sinai Hospital on Ogden & the Cook County Circuit Court/Prison on 26th, not too surprising.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Aw ok cuz I was thinking like both of the routes go to the green line so I was just wondering 

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I can possibly see the #157 extension being successful. I been told that Ogden west of California was being demanded bus service along the street being some local residents for some time now. So this could be a promising opportunity.

Now with the #52 & #94, I’m not all 100% with that. Is there really reason to shorten the route along #52 when does fine as it is? It should at least terminate a little more  north of Kedzie/Chicago, perhaps at Milwaukee/Kedzie (Logan Square Blue Line) to still maintain a connection to Blue Line trains. But that’s just how I see it, have to wait and see the result on that. The #94, I think the bus have to many turning points along the route as it. I suppose it would save riders time & money for those going to Chicago Ave to transfer to the #52 continuing north on California but that about all I can see on that one.

Everyone mentions the turns, but going to Addison isn't actually going to introduce any new major ones that isn't the terminal turnaround. That said, I'm uncertain how many people are going to choose to ride south to the green line as opposed to the current process of riding north to the blue line. I agree though, this will basically turn the 52 into a more frequent 57, and that idea of going to Logan Square is good too.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Might be worth it to reroute it completely via 71st or 69th. I always wondered why it took those weird turns to 74th.

I think CTA does that to avoid the railroad crossing on 71st. Honestly, I feel like the 94 doesn't need to terminate at 74th/Damen. It could just terminate at either Kedzie/71st or Western/71st and use local streets to turn around.

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

While your idea makes some sense, extending the 52 to Logan Square would make it somewhat duplicate the 82. It would work if the 82 is cut, but the 82 provides better route spacing in that region.

I wonder if the 82 could run on Central Park between 31st and Franklin Blvd and keep its current routing north of Franklin? I feel it is currently too close to the 52 and too far from the 53, so moving it would provide better route spacing. While it would lose a connection to the Blue Line, it would gain one to the Green Line. Feel free to prove me wrong, especially if there are some important passenger generators on that stretch of Homan.

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Everyone mentions the turns, but going to Addison isn't actually going to introduce any new major ones that isn't the terminal turnaround. That said, I'm uncertain how many people are going to choose to ride south to the green line as opposed to the current process of riding north to the blue line. I agree though, this will basically turn the 52 into a more frequent 57, and that idea of going to Logan Square is good too.

Yeah, I get it. As I said, one of the upsides would be saving people a transfer at Chicago to get 52 going north. And yeah, couldn’t hurt giving Kedzie between Chicago and Milwaukee some bus service. Plus Logan Square has an extra bus bay in the terminal that the 52 could use. But I can understand why CTA would most likely not do that, since 52 already has some adjacent service with the 82 on Kimball-Homan Avenues (just 1/4 mile west of Kedzie).

10 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I think CTA does that to avoid the railroad crossing on 71st. Honestly, I feel like the 94 doesn't need to terminate at 74th/Damen. It could just terminate at either Kedzie/71st or Western/71st and use local streets to turn around.

While your idea makes some sense, extending the 52 to Logan Square would make it somewhat duplicate the 82. It would work if the 82 is cut, but the 82 provides better route spacing in that region.

I wonder if the 82 could run on Central Park between 31st and Franklin Blvd and keep its current routing north of Franklin? I feel it is currently too close to the 52 and too far from the 53, so moving it would provide better route spacing. While it would lose a connection to the Blue Line, it would gain one to the Green Line. Feel free to prove me wrong, especially if there are some important passenger generators on that stretch of Homan.

There's a railroad crossing either way. The 94 used to terminate at Marquette Park (71st/Kedzie) but was moved to 74th/Damen because that's where the 74th Garage is, making it easier for operator relief and bathroom breaks and the like (the 94 doesn't use the turnaround the 75 does).

Central Park becomes 1-way from Chicago to Division, and then narrows greatly from Division to North, also including a underpass that a CTA bus might not fit under, so that might not be possible.

My bad, I misread the segment you were talking about. Unfortuantely, rerouting the 82 there wouldn't do much good, especially after April since a good chunk of people would lose access to the north side.

5 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I know, I was just explaining how 52 & 82 are close to one another. However, I was also going to point out that perhaps having it run to Logan Square daily wasn’t what I had in mind. Maybe extended to Logan on weekdays only, as a test pilot to determine if adding service on Kedzie better Logan Square Station and Chicago will prove to have been needed & beneficial or not.

• Upvote 1

I know that 94 ends at damen & 74th. But will 94 be shared by both 74th and kedzie division's or will K take over the route? As for route 52 i doubt they'd run buses from 74th. Then again route 63 ends at kedzie on certain times. 63 can turn to route 52 and so on. This is just my thought on what could happen.