CTA adds #157 & #52/94 Bus Pilots.

CircleSeven

5 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

53 never ran south of 31st. 52 was cut to Orange from 51st/St Louis and 52A from 43rd. The squawk was to service from south of 49th to Archer, so 52 got extended to 63rd to replace the alternate 52A 49th to 63rd trips. When Orange opened there were many totally unnecessary changes made because of Lipinski that were not fixed until the 19 90s cutbacks.

Yes it did for a short time when the Orange Line first opened.   You are correct that many unnecessary changes were made and that was one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, andrethebusman said:

This I will dispute. 53 NEVER went past 31st. Lived on route 1959 to 2001. Surely would have noticed. Pulaski has had zero route changes for almost 60 years now, Peterson to 31st.

I'll second that. 53North never went south of 31st

6 hours ago, John7 said:

I say that it did. Back in 2007 (i think) whenever i went to target with my parents i saw the route 53 (Not 53a) bus stop at the SE corner of 44th and Pulaski. Always wondered why it was there. 

A glitch nothing more. Cut off was always 31st

10 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

Does that mean the Kedzie/California swap is canceled?

It's canceled as long as the push gets pushed back. They were gonna use the spring pick which got cancelled cause of COVID-19 so if the summer pick doesn't get cancelled it might happen but CTA may just be focused strictly on COVID-19

10 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

It's canceled as long as the push gets pushed back. They were gonna use the spring pick which got cancelled cause of COVID-19 so if the summer pick doesn't get cancelled it might happen but CTA may just be focused strictly on COVID-19

Good info. Thanks

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That's going to be a long route the #94. By the time you go back and forth on 71st,  47th, 51st and chicago it may end up being longer than the #9. If not it's close. 

It may be a long route, but it will be consistent.   The real benefit of the route switch will be the improvement of service on the 52.

1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

Does the 52 have delay issues north of  chicago Ave?

I would say yes.  Between the heavy traffic and the abundant stop signs on California  make the 52 unreliable.   Kedzie already has traffic issues between Cermak and 31st and between 51st and 63rd.  But Kedzie has the higher volume of passengers.   I have waited for a bus for 20 to 30 minutes during rush hour to ride from the Kedzie-Homan Blue Line to the Orange Line.   When the bus came, there were two org buses also.  This has happened on multiple occasions.  I no longer take that route.

I wonder how many through riders that presently travel north of Chicago will be inconvenienced that they will have to transfer at Chicago and Sacramento to continue north which brings up another thought that final destination should say Sacramento and Chicago assuming the turn around will be the sane  as the present 94. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

I wonder how many through riders that presently travel north of Chicago will be inconvenienced that they will have to transfer at Chicago and Sacramento to continue north which brings up another thought that final destination should say Sacramento and Chicago assuming the turn around will be the sane  as the present 94. Just a thought.

Oh trust me. Its gonna be a PAIN IN THE BUTT! I take the 52 to Milwaukee quite frequently and its an easy walk from where im at to kedzie. Now that its being cut i have to take a bus down to California.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

52/94 starting on sunday 6-14-20 and 157 starting on 6-15-20

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=68284

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=68285

I see they've once again stressed that Green Line connection, but I'm not certain how many people are going to trade a quicker trip for less crowding. Then there's the fact that the Green & Blue lines serve different parts of the Loop (and that the Blue Line is more centrally located)

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I would say yes.  Between the heavy traffic and the abundant stop signs on California  make the 52 unreliable.   Kedzie already has traffic issues between Cermak and 31st and between 51st and 63rd.  But Kedzie has the higher volume of passengers.   I have waited for a bus for 20 to 30 minutes during rush hour to ride from the Kedzie-Homan Blue Line to the Orange Line.   When the bus came, there were two org buses also.  This has happened on multiple occasions.  I no longer take that route.

That would be my concern. #52 has a busier corridor. How will the #94 keep up with the demand on the north side. Usually #94"s get pretty scarce into the evenings. That will be a problem up north. Then in the rush around the jail it gets painfully slow there are pockets that get pretty heavy with traffic even down on 47th. California is a narrow street compared to kedzie. I see lots of bus bunching just like on the #9 maybe worse.