CTA adds #157 & #52/94 Bus Pilots.

CircleSeven

Yeah a new pole has popped up on the se corner of Sacramento at Chicago for the #94. I thought they had a bus shelter just east of there for the #66/#52's. Being it will be a heavy stop I'm surprised they just didnt put the stop around the corner.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:29 PM, Sam92 said:

Yeah did they adjust the required numbers for this? Or at least  have some type of waiver due to the situation? ?

Late response, but i'm just now seeing this. I'm not sure what will happen when the summer pick goes in affect on June 14th. Certain routes and runs will see massive reductions or temporary terminations due to the pandemic but I could be wrong. Since we're only in phase two of reopening I highly doubt we'll reach phase 3 or 4 before the pick goes into effect. So it could be a mixed bag of things going on.

Nothing has stopped cta from cutting service so far. Was reading one of the transit covid 19 aid bill's is slated to give cta between 700 to 800 million so there not hurting too bad but the transit agencies thinking is that they will not receive any more aid. Pace got like 400 million and metra got 300 million. I think that's one reason they are cutting while they have money its half what cta got or is getting. I was looking and I dont see any suspensions of service for the #130. Now Chicago will you please turn on Buckingham fountain!!

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Nothing has stopped cta from cutting service so far. Was reading one of the transit covid 19 aid bill's is slated to give cta between 700 to 800 million so there not hurting too bad but the transit agencies thinking is that they will not receive any more aid. Pace got like 400 million and metra got 300 million. I think that's one reason they are cutting while they have money its half what cta got or is getting. I was looking and I dont see any suspensions of service for the #130. Now Chicago will you please turn on Buckingham fountain!!

Facts, the 10 and 130 are still slated to start service tomorrow. And other than minor service reductions, no outright changes have been made. In some areas, you wouldn't even think anything changed. I was up on Devon earlier in the week and every 155 I saw was crowded. On the flip side, taking the 147 downtown, I passed a NB 136 that only had 1 passenger on it. It's still grating, because CTA could make some cuts right now to save money that wouldn't hurt anyone.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Facts, the 10 and 130 are still slated to start service tomorrow. And other than minor service reductions, no outright changes have been made. In some areas, you wouldn't even think anything changed. I was up on Devon earlier in the week and every 155 I saw was crowded. On the flip side, taking the 147 downtown, I passed a NB 136 that only had 1 passenger on it. It's still grating, because CTA could make some cuts right now to save money that wouldn't hurt anyone.

How much does it make sense for the 10 to run as reverse peak 26 trips that would otherwise deadhead, similar to how 192 trips are J14 deadheads? This could save money, as well as free up some capacity at Kedzie Garage.

3 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

How much does it make sense for the 10 to run as reverse peak 26 trips that would otherwise deadhead, similar to how 192 trips are J14 deadheads? This could save money, as well as free up some capacity at Kedzie Garage.

Non since 10 is bidirectional and has an even schedule throughout the day vs the 192/j14 setup which is using 192 to make the cost of rush hour extras cheaper 

• Upvote 1

#130 is actually taking you to the forbidden zone which is east of LSD. So it promotes naughtiness. Besides the museums are closed. The #10 and #130 dont make sense to run now but the #124 dont make too much sense either. At least someoner can use it downtown. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wish CTA would convert to this type of bus stop sign like these old Los Angeles RTD or the Pace versions. With the age of the internet There isnt too much info that needs to be displayed. Many bus riders waiting, know how to use the arrival texts and are on their cell phones anyway! I still cant believe that Kedzie/California is being split up. That route dates back to the early streetcar days!  i worked it many times when I started out as a rookie driver out of Kedzie garage. I think its a refreshing change to see new route "94 California" on the north side. 

rapid-transit-district-rtd-los_1_da00ba5181b8651b61550660e2fe6afa.jpg

2 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

I wish CTA would convert to this type of bus stop sign like this old Los Angeles RTD or Pace versions. With the age of the internet There isnt too much info that needs to be displayed. Many bus riders waiting, know how to use the arrival texts and are on their cell phones anyway!  I still cant believe that Kedzie/California is being split up. That route dates back to the early streetcar days!  i worked it many times when I started out as a rookie driver out of Kedzie garage. I think its a refreshing change to see new route "94 California" on the north side. 

Considering the digital divide still exists and there are some without a smartphone (along with other accessibility concerns), I disagree. It may be beneficial to display the destination (Pace doesn't do this), but a map and the direction of travel is helpful moreover (remember, for a time the direction of travel wasn't even included with the map diagrams).

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I wish CTA would convert to this type of bus stop sign like this old Los Angeles RTD or Pace versions. With the age of the internet There isnt too much info that needs to be displayed. Many bus riders waiting, know how to use the arrival texts and are on their cell phones anyway!  I still cant believe that Kedzie/California is being split up. That route dates back to the early streetcar days!  i worked it many times when I started out as a rookie driver out of Kedzie garage. I think its a refreshing change to see new route "94 California" on the north side. 

3 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Considering the digital divide still exists and there are some without a smartphone (along with other accessibility concerns), I disagree. It may be beneficial to display the destination (Pace doesn't do this), but a map and the direction of travel is helpful moreover (remember, for a time the direction of travel wasn't even included with the map diagrams).

CTA literally has the best bus stop signs in the country and other agencies should be trying to emulate their example. It’s part of the reason I love when the Pace routes are included on the CTA signs, cause heaven knows they’re basic as hell on their own. A CTA style sign would be especially useful for routes that have a consistent and/or frequent deviation, like the 381, 330, 383 and 385 or in cases where the route doesn’t behave as other routes usually would, such as the express portion of the 359

20 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

CTA literally has the best bus stop signs in the country and other agencies should be trying to emulate their example. It’s part of the reason I love when the Pace routes are included on the CTA signs, cause heaven knows they’re basic as hell on their own. A CTA style sign would be especially useful for routes that have a consistent and/or frequent deviation, like the 381, 330, 383 and 385 or in cases where the route doesn’t behave as other routes usually would, such as the express portion of the 359

Amen to that especially since I wrote those signs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Normally, the CTA would post the advance timetables of the routes within days before the new run assignment period goes into effect.

Even though they did post an alert of the routes that'll have new schedules tomorrow (6/14), they haven't posted the new timetables in advance like they normally do.

I also noted that. I suppose we will have to wait till tomorrow

Here’s the link for the new schedules for #52, #94, & #157

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/bus-tt_52.pdf 
https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/bus-tt_94.pdf 

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/bus-tt_157.pdf 

Unfortunately, there’s no link for a page that provides all the PDFs for all the bus routes listed for the summer pick. The new schedules for them are available but you’ll have to look them up individually on their own pages. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Based on the #94 schedule, they're #94 trips that start or end from Addison (i.e. first Wkdy NB trip arrive at 4:49a, first SB depart at 4:30a). I wonder how they deadhead from the north end.

My two guesses are maybe once it reaches the northbound terminus point at Rockwell/Addison, buses will make its trip back to the 74th Street Garage via Addison, Western, 69th, Damen & 74th. Or maybe for a faster trip it’ll take Addison to the I-94 and travel along it back to the south side. Those are just my best guesses on how not-of-service buses can back to the garage from that way.

Just now, sht6131 said:

Someone mentioned that the running time would be comparable to Ashland and Western. He was right as its up to one hour and fifty minutes during periods of the pm rush. Wow

Talking about 94

Just now, sht6131 said:

Someone mentioned that the running time would be comparable to Ashland and Western. He was right as its up to one hour and fifty minutes during periods of the pm rush. Wow

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

My two guesses are maybe once it reaches the northbound terminus point at Rockwell/Addison, buses will make its trip back to the 74th Street Garage via Addison, Western, 69th, Damen & 74th. Or maybe for a faster trip it’ll take Addison to the I-94 and travel along it back to the south side. Those are just my best guesses on how not-of-service buses can back to the garage from that way.

Taking I-94 back south as a pull in route would be great depending on the rush hour traffic during the weekdays. 

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Based on the #94 schedule, they're #94 trips that start or end from Addison (i.e. first Wkdy NB trip arrive at 4:49a, first SB depart at 4:30a). I wonder how they deadhead from the north end.

I would take I 94 to Western and go north to Addison.  I would do the reverse SB.

I decided to ride the #94 California full route today and I don't know if it will last like this or they'll switch it back. First off the driver was going 25 to 30mph the whole time which makes the route feel really slow. Second after Madison the bus was completely empty until Chicago & Grand and I do not see people leaving the Blue Line traveling to the Green Line because the location and how the area around the Green Line looks won't help that. Third when he reached Belmont & Campbell he continued down Campbell and missed he turn and had to turn around in a empty parking lot which shows they don't know the route fully. And finally something has to be dropped either terminating the bus at 69th & Western or dropping the Orange Line connection. It's not too many turns more so of the waiting at each turn. Tomorrow I'll check out the #157 extension but when I went pass Ogden on the #94 the one #157 I saw heading downtown was completely empty.

40 minutes ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

I decided to ride the #94 California full route today and I don't know if it will last like this or they'll switch it back. First off the driver was going 25 to 30mph the whole time which makes the route feel really slow. Second after Madison the bus was completely empty until Chicago & Grand and I do not see people leaving the Blue Line traveling to the Green Line because the location and how the area around the Green Line looks won't help that. Third when he reached Belmont & Campbell he continued down Campbell and missed he turn and had to turn around in a empty parking lot which shows they don't know the route fully. And finally something has to be dropped either terminating the bus at 69th & Western or dropping the Orange Line connection. It's not too many turns more so of the waiting at each turn. Tomorrow I'll check out the #157 extension but when I went pass Ogden on the #94 the one #157 I saw heading downtown was completely empty.

The 94 won't end at 69th and Western because driver reliefs can't be done there.   CTA also will not eliminate the 94 service to the Western Orange Line. 

As I have stated before,  i believe the pilot was intended to improve service on Kedzie and more evenly match service on both ends of California.   Even though CRA claims they want to entice riders to ride the 94 to California Green Line,  we all know that won't happen    I think the 52 and 94 realignment will be permanent  

I don't think the 157 extension will last.  Every other attempt to service Ogden west of California had failed and this will also.

• Upvote 1