CTA adds #157 & #52/94 Bus Pilots.

CircleSeven

1 hour ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

I decided to ride the #94 California full route today and I don't know if it will last like this or they'll switch it back. First off the driver was going 25 to 30mph the whole time which makes the route feel really slow. Second after Madison the bus was completely empty until Chicago & Grand and I do not see people leaving the Blue Line traveling to the Green Line because the location and how the area around the Green Line looks won't help that. Third when he reached Belmont & Campbell he continued down Campbell and missed he turn and had to turn around in a empty parking lot which shows they don't know the route fully. And finally something has to be dropped either terminating the bus at 69th & Western or dropping the Orange Line connection. It's not too many turns more so of the waiting at each turn. Tomorrow I'll check out the #157 extension but when I went pass Ogden on the #94 the one #157 I saw heading downtown was completely empty.

Your suggestion would be to drop the only CTA connection south California has, forcing people to an E/W route to the red line or walking to western or Kedzie to access the orange? 

Suggestion aside, we won’t be able to measure whether or not pilots are having any benefit until ridership returns to regular levels 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

The 94 won't end at 69th and Western because driver reliefs can't be done there.   CTA also will not eliminate the 94 service to the Western Orange Line. 

As I have stated before,  i believe the pilot was intended to improve service on Kedzie and more evenly match service on both ends of California.   Even though CRA claims they want to entice riders to ride the 94 to California Green Line,  we all know that won't happen    I think the 52 and 94 realignment will be permanent  

I don't think the 157 extension will last.  Every other attempt to service Ogden west of California had failed and this will also.

I suspect the 157 extension might stay because the turnaround is CTA property and the route is at service level properly fit for the corridor (weekdays only). Did the 157 even need more than an extra bus for this?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Your suggestion would be to drop the only CTA connection south California has, forcing people to an E/W route to the red line or walking to western or Kedzie to access the orange? 

Suggestion aside, we won’t be able to measure whether or not pilots are having any benefit until ridership returns to regular levels 

I suspect the 157 extension might stay because the turnaround is CTA property and the route is at service level properly fit for the corridor (weekdays only). Did the 157 even need more than an extra bus for this?

One benefit of the extension could be moving the relief point from Chicago/Fairbanks/Mies VanDerRohe to Pulaski Pink Line.  Ut would halve the traveling time and distance from the garage    This would make plausible a permanent extension of the 157 .  However I still don't think anyone rides  

• Upvote 2

One benefit of the extension could be moving the relief point from Chicago/Orleans to Pulaski Pink Line.  Ut would halve the traveling time and distance from the garage    This would make plausible a permanent extension of the 157 .  However I still don't think anyone rides  

How is Chicago & Orleans is the relief point for the #157, and the route doesn't go to Orleans. Did you mean Fairbanks or Mies?

On 6/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, Nova's at 103rd said:

I decided to ride the #94 California full route today and I don't know if it will last like this or they'll switch it back. First off the driver was going 25 to 30mph the whole time which makes the route feel really slow. Second after Madison the bus was completely empty until Chicago & Grand and I do not see people leaving the Blue Line traveling to the Green Line because the location and how the area around the Green Line looks won't help that. Third when he reached Belmont & Campbell he continued down Campbell and missed he turn and had to turn around in a empty parking lot which shows they don't know the route fully. And finally something has to be dropped either terminating the bus at 69th & Western or dropping the Orange Line connection. It's not too many turns more so of the waiting at each turn. Tomorrow I'll check out the #157 extension but when I went pass Ogden on the #94 the one #157 I saw heading downtown was completely empty.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:33 PM, artthouwill said:

The 94 won't end at 69th and Western because driver reliefs can't be done there.   CTA also will not eliminate the 94 service to the Western Orange Line. 

As I have stated before,  i believe the pilot was intended to improve service on Kedzie and more evenly match service on both ends of California.   Even though CRA claims they want to entice riders to ride the 94 to California Green Line,  we all know that won't happen    I think the 52 and 94 realignment will be permanent  

I don't think the 157 extension will last.  Every other attempt to service Ogden west of California had failed and this will also.

Yeah service levels are not even close to normal on a lot of routes as evidenced by all of NP's express routes operating with a significant number of 40 foot buses to varying degrees and depending on time of day. Heck the fact that NP lost so many artics is evidence that service levels are not normal. So trying to judge the new extensions of the 94 and 157 by the current ridership levels isn't the best move right now. As for destination signs, it doesn't look like the 157 signs changed yet. All the WB buses I observed today still were displaying the Ogden/California destination instead of the current Pulaski Pink Line destination the route is extended to for at least the next year. 

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
11 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Bumping this because the CTA is extending the pilots another year.

I see CTA is still peddling that "connections to California Green Line" as a reason. While I support the change, I feel like the have to know that (pre-pandemic at least) there were not going to be a lot of riders going to the Green Line over the Blue Line (despite there being numerous complaints of riders unable to board trains at Damen, California & Chicago, etc).

• 8 months later...

CTA Service Enhancements Made Permanent on Four Bus Routes Serving Chicago’s South, West Sides

February 9, 2022

Following successful experiments, CTA is permanently adopting the #31 and #157 routes, and realigning the #52 / #94 routes along Kedzie and California Avenues

The Chicago Transit Board today approved permanent changes to three bus experiments aimed at improving service for communities on Chicago’s South and West sides. The permanent changes make bus travel more convenient and provide stronger bus-rail system connections for riders of the #31 31st, #52 Kedzie, #94 California and #157 Streeterville/Taylor routes.

“The pandemic impacted daily travel habits for thousands of Chicagoans and these service changes reflect our responsiveness to the needs and desires of the communities we serve and those who are dependent on public transit services,” said CTA President Dorval R. Carter, Jr. “It also is part of our work to expand our efforts to provide equitable service to all communities—especially those who rely on transit as a primary mode of transportation.”

These service changes are the result of CTA working with the surrounding communities and area partners, as well as part of Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s Invest South/West community improvement initiative. Community support for each of the routes has been strong and has helped grow ridership since the experiments began.

Over the past several years, CTA staff monitored and assessed ridership and customer feedback which helped encourage the agency to make the service changes permanent.

Adopted #31 Route:

The #31 31st route will continue to provide service, Monday through Friday, between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., approximately every 30 minutes, between the Lake Meadows Shopping Center (33rd Place and Martin Luther King Drive) and the Ashland Orange Line Station (see route map below).Based upon community support, CTA saw the clear need to fill this 1.5-mile gap in east/west service.

CTA began the #31 in September 2016. Ridership gradually increased over several months, but saw improved ridership after AM rush period service was added in fall 2019. This route now provides useful east/west service to approximately 10,000 previously underserved residents, with improved access to three rail lines and 12 bus routes, three major grocery stores, the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) campus, and the lakefront.

Realigned #52 / #94 Routes on Kedzie and California Avenues:

To provide riders with more streamlined service along Chicago’s street grid system, as well as improving connections to the California and Kedzie Green Line stations, the CTA is permanently adopting the realignment of the #52 Kedzie and #94 California bus routes, which now offer a new alignment that is more intuitive  for Near Northwest side residents.

The #52 Kedzie route will continue to operate between 63rd/Kedzie and Chicago/Sacramento via Kedzie Avenue. Service will be provided from approximately 4:30 a.m.–11 p.m. on weekdays, 5 a.m.–10:40 p.m. on Saturdays, and 6 a.m.–10:40 p.m. on Sundays.

The #94 California route will continue to operate between 74th/Damen to Addison/Rockwell via California Avenue. Service along this route will be provided from approximately 3:40 a.m.-11:30 p.m. on weekdays, 4:40 a.m.–10:50 p.m. on Saturdays, and 5:20 a.m.–10:20 p.m. on Sundays.

Adopted #157 Streeterville/Taylor:

The #157 Streeterville/Taylor route will be permanently extended west of Ogden/California to the Pulaski Pink Line station, to help create direct transit connections and provide improved access the growing Ogden Corridor. With this extension, riders now have direct connections with the #21 Cermak, #52 Kedzie, #53 Pulaski and #82 Kimball/Homan bus routes, as well as the Pulaski and Central Park Pink Line stations.

For North Lawndale residents and other customers, this change in service means improved access to jobs, healthcare, schools and other services, including the Illinois Medical District (IMD), University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Mt. Sinai Hospital medical campus, Cinespace Chicago Film Studios and the Lawndale Christian Health Center. The route will continue to operate weekdays, from approximately 5:20 a.m.-7:15 p.m.

The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and the North Lawndale Community Coordinating Council both recommended the introduction of bus service on Ogden Avenue, west of California, to support new development in the area.

The experiments for the #52, #94 and #157 routes began in June 2020 (see route maps below).

Annual costs associated with operation of the #31 and #157 pilots are approximately $1.1 million and are funded with CTA operating dollars. The realignment of the #52 Kedzie and #94 California routes are cost-neutral.

# # #

Back to news

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

CTA Service Enhancements Made Permanent on Four Bus Routes Serving Chicago’s South, West Sides

February 9, 2022

Following successful experiments, CTA is permanently adopting the #31 and #157 routes, and realigning the #52 / #94 routes along Kedzie and California Avenues

The Chicago Transit Board today approved permanent changes to three bus experiments aimed at improving service for communities on Chicago’s South and West sides. The permanent changes make bus travel more convenient and provide stronger bus-rail system connections for riders of the #31 31st, #52 Kedzie, #94 California and #157 Streeterville/Taylor routes.

“The pandemic impacted daily travel habits for thousands of Chicagoans and these service changes reflect our responsiveness to the needs and desires of the communities we serve and those who are dependent on public transit services,” said CTA President Dorval R. Carter, Jr. “It also is part of our work to expand our efforts to provide equitable service to all communities—especially those who rely on transit as a primary mode of transportation.”

These service changes are the result of CTA working with the surrounding communities and area partners, as well as part of Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s Invest South/West community improvement initiative. Community support for each of the routes has been strong and has helped grow ridership since the experiments began.

Over the past several years, CTA staff monitored and assessed ridership and customer feedback which helped encourage the agency to make the service changes permanent.

Adopted #31 Route:

The #31 31st route will continue to provide service, Monday through Friday, between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., approximately every 30 minutes, between the Lake Meadows Shopping Center (33rd Place and Martin Luther King Drive) and the Ashland Orange Line Station (see route map below).Based upon community support, CTA saw the clear need to fill this 1.5-mile gap in east/west service.

CTA began the #31 in September 2016. Ridership gradually increased over several months, but saw improved ridership after AM rush period service was added in fall 2019. This route now provides useful east/west service to approximately 10,000 previously underserved residents, with improved access to three rail lines and 12 bus routes, three major grocery stores, the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) campus, and the lakefront.

Realigned #52 / #94 Routes on Kedzie and California Avenues:

To provide riders with more streamlined service along Chicago’s street grid system, as well as improving connections to the California and Kedzie Green Line stations, the CTA is permanently adopting the realignment of the #52 Kedzie and #94 California bus routes, which now offer a new alignment that is more intuitive  for Near Northwest side residents.

The #52 Kedzie route will continue to operate between 63rd/Kedzie and Chicago/Sacramento via Kedzie Avenue. Service will be provided from approximately 4:30 a.m.–11 p.m. on weekdays, 5 a.m.–10:40 p.m. on Saturdays, and 6 a.m.–10:40 p.m. on Sundays.

The #94 California route will continue to operate between 74th/Damen to Addison/Rockwell via California Avenue. Service along this route will be provided from approximately 3:40 a.m.-11:30 p.m. on weekdays, 4:40 a.m.–10:50 p.m. on Saturdays, and 5:20 a.m.–10:20 p.m. on Sundays.

Adopted #157 Streeterville/Taylor:

The #157 Streeterville/Taylor route will be permanently extended west of Ogden/California to the Pulaski Pink Line station, to help create direct transit connections and provide improved access the growing Ogden Corridor. With this extension, riders now have direct connections with the #21 Cermak, #52 Kedzie, #53 Pulaski and #82 Kimball/Homan bus routes, as well as the Pulaski and Central Park Pink Line stations.

For North Lawndale residents and other customers, this change in service means improved access to jobs, healthcare, schools and other services, including the Illinois Medical District (IMD), University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Mt. Sinai Hospital medical campus, Cinespace Chicago Film Studios and the Lawndale Christian Health Center. The route will continue to operate weekdays, from approximately 5:20 a.m.-7:15 p.m.

The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and the North Lawndale Community Coordinating Council both recommended the introduction of bus service on Ogden Avenue, west of California, to support new development in the area.

The experiments for the #52, #94 and #157 routes began in June 2020 (see route maps below).

Annual costs associated with operation of the #31 and #157 pilots are approximately $1.1 million and are funded with CTA operating dollars. The realignment of the #52 Kedzie and #94 California routes are cost-neutral.

# # #

Back to news

No surprises about these experiments becoming permanent.  I would still argue that no one will ride the new 94 to the California Green Line instead of using the California Blue Line.   The realignment makes sense, but CTA promoting the change as alleviating crowding on the Blue Line didn't make sense.   Obviously the pandemic didn't help, but 3 minute headways on the Blue Line would always Trump a longer bus ride, 7.5 minute Green Line headways,  and the fact that the Green Line is considered more dangerous than the Blue Line. 

I don't know what the metrics were to determine the success of the 157 extension, but from my personal observations riding it,  I guess my infrequent riding made it a success as I usually saw no one else riding west of Roosevelt and Western,  ever.  If nothing else, the extension makes some use out of the bus turnaround at Pulaski Pink Line station.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the metrics were to determine the success of the 157 extension, but from my personal observations riding it,  I guess my infrequent riding made it a success as I usually saw no one else riding west of Roosevelt and Western,  ever.  If nothing else, the extension makes some use out of the bus turnaround at Pulaski Pink Line station.

22 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

It might be like you said before. Going to pulaski makes an easier deadhead. 

The stated reason was that it was based on some sort of development between California and Pulaski. I don't recall anything being said about ridership being a criterion (as opposed to 31 and 11).

Unless 157 was reassigned to C, it is a closer deadhead from Ogden/California to K.

8 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The stated reason was that it was based on some sort of development between California and Pulaski. I don't recall anything being said about ridership being a criterion (as opposed to 31 and 11).

Unless 157 was reassigned to C, it is a closer deadhead from Ogden/California to K.

It was. I read about the development the cause, art at one time suggested that even if ridership wasn't that good, the extension would still hold due to Cermak and Pulaski being easier to get back and forth to C. 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

It was. I read about the development the cause, art at one time suggested that even if ridership wasn't that good, the extension would still hold due to Cermak and Pulaski being easier to get back and forth to C. 

I think the deadhead to C from Pulaski is an additional benefit .  The 94 was extended to 74th and Damen specifically for driver reliefs and layovers.   It was already operating from 74th.  I believe C was operating the 157 before the experiment began.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

No surprises about these experiments becoming permanent.  I would still argue that no one will ride the new 94 to the California Green Line instead of using the California Blue Line.   The realignment makes sense, but CTA promoting the change as alleviating crowding on the Blue Line didn't make sense.   Obviously the pandemic didn't help, but 3 minute headways on the Blue Line would always Trump a longer bus ride, 7.5 minute Green Line headways,  and the fact that the Green Line is considered more dangerous than the Blue Line. 

Well Im surprised. I never really seen anyone ride the #157 extension and the #31. Surprised they made it and the #11 did not. The #94 and #52 hasnt really had time to make that decision. I remember how bad #94 service would get in the rush and they extended the line since then. #52 seems like it has less riders. Schedule seems to be ok. Dont really notice bus bunching on the #52. 

15 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well Im surprised. I never really seen anyone ride the #157 extension and the #31. Surprised they made it and the #11 did not. The #94 and #52 hasnt really had time to make that decision. I remember how bad #94 service would get in the rush and they extended the line since then. #52 seems like it has less riders. Schedule seems to be ok. Dont really notice bus bunching on the #52. 

Bus bunching on the old 52 was terrible 

I used to wait 20 to 30 minutes in rush hour and then 3 buses would show up. 

Rhe 11 struggled.   It didn't matter if it ran down Michigan,  or whether it was combined with the 37.  The 11 lasted way longer than the 41.  Be glad the 11 stylists north of Western Brown Line. 

16 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Correct about C. Then see below

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think the deadhead to C from Pulaski is an additional benefit . ....

Although CTA didn't segregate the additional costs for 31 and 157, obviously 157 wasn't cost neutral or it would have been lumped in with 52/94. There was also some cost reason why it was cut back from Pulaski to California about 10 years ago. Not all trips go back to the garage, so the deadhead sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

The Fisk garage could have taken care of the problem, but that seems to be one of many transit jokes played by the Emanuel administration.

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Even though I agree with your assessment of the 157, I still believe this is a long time coming. Ogden has always deserved at least some type of semi-consistent bus service. While it's no 58, this is enough (maybe even more than)

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Bus bunching on the old 52 was terrible 

I used to wait 20 to 30 minutes in rush hour and then 3 buses would show up. 

Rhe 11 struggled.   It didn't matter if it ran down Michigan,  or whether it was combined with the 37.  The 11 lasted way longer than the 41.  Be glad the 11 stylists north of Western Brown Line. 

16 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The 11 needs to come back. It's unfair the route was ever cut in the first place, and expecting everyone to walk from the Brown Line or what not to certain parts of Lincoln is just inane. It doesn't even need to go back downtown, but there should be some sort of bus service on Lincoln to North/Clark or Fullerton station at least.

31 apparently gets really good ridership when IIT is in session, so that's not too surprising. When I was taking the 94 during the pandemic, service operated fine, both before and after the extension. Actually, the bus was more on time than the 48, which often arrived 5+ minutes late and there were multiple occasions where the last SB bus simply didn't show up (at least not before I got on the 94). I agree with @artthouwill's assertation that no one was/is going to take it to the Green Line over the Blue; better for them to just say doing this increases reliability on the 52