7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

• 2 weeks later...

Are the 7000s still testing on the Blue Line?

I still think about where they would go once delivery starts.   It's possible that Blue Line gets all 400 with the 3200s returning to the Brown and Orange Lines.   Though it makes sense, assuming Blue has that kind of room, I don't see that happening. 

I think the Brown gets 130 of the new cars and Orange Line gets 90.  The other 180 would go to the Blue Line,  which would have a mixed fleet of 3200s and 7000s.  Maybe  16 of those cars (7000s) go to Pink Line to run those UIC to Jeff Pk runs.

I don't see any other lines getting 7000s because that would probably mean putting 5000s on the Blue Line.   If there is one Line that doesn't need 5000s. It's the Blue Line  with Orange Line right there with it.  I think the airport lines need the newest cars . 

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Are the 7000s still testing on the Blue Line?

I still think about where they would go once delivery starts.   It's possible that Blue Line gets all 400 with the 3200s returning to the Brown and Orange Lines.   Though it makes sense, assuming Blue has that kind of room, I don't see that happening. 

I think the Brown gets 130 of the new cars and Orange Line gets 90.  The other 180 would go to the Blue Line,  which would have a mixed fleet of 3200s and 7000s.  Maybe  16 of those cars (7000s) go to Pink Line to run those UIC to Jeff Pk runs.

I don't see any other lines getting 7000s because that would probably mean putting 5000s on the Blue Line.   If there is one Line that doesn't need 5000s. It's the Blue Line  with Orange Line right there with it.  I think the airport lines need the newest cars . 

Depends on how many 7000s total are ordered and if red line get some (and if Howard wants to keep all one series since 5000-7000 can’t pair meaning it has to be 800 cars in order to fully equip Howard AND Blue) Like I said in another thread when breaking down the math and considerations of not wanting to mix A/C and D/C fleets, the blue line wouldn’t have gotten 5000s even if the power was up to date along with the forest park branch. Blue line requires 400 cars and Howard uses 400 for all 3 lines combined meaning since they didn’t want Incompatible equipment on the same line; if  Howard gets new cars, pink and green would be the only line that can accept any because with the 5000s, there weren’t enough to put on either orange or brown. Garmon says after all 3200s move to the blue and sends 2600s to brown in return, the 7000s were starting on the orange and brown to knock out 2600s en masse. 

51 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Depends on how many 7000s total are ordered and if red line get some (and if Howard wants to keep all one series since 5000-7000 can’t pair meaning it has to be 800 cars in order to fully equip Howard AND Blue) Like I said in another thread when breaking down the math and considerations of not wanting to mix A/C and D/C fleets, the blue line wouldn’t have gotten 5000s even if the power was up to date along with the forest park branch. Blue line requires 400 cars and Howard uses 400 for all 3 lines combined meaning since they didn’t want Incompatible equipment on the same line; if  Howard gets new cars, pink and green would be the only line that can accept any because with the 5000s, there weren’t enough to put on either orange or brown. Garmon says after all 3200s move to the blue and sends 2600s to brown in return, the 7000s were starting on the orange and brown to knock out 2600s en masse. 

The initial order is for 400.  Based on what you said, sending all 400 to the Blue Line makes sense.  If the Orange and Brown Lines get the 7000s first, that will not knock off all of the 2600s as the Blue Line still will have some.  Also, the Brown Line will still have the roof board 3200s.   Yo me, the only way to easily knock out the 2600s is to send all of the 400 7000s to Blue and send the 3200s back to the Brown and Orange Lines.   This will ensure no mixed fleets.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The initial order is for 400.  Based on what you said, sending all 400 to the Blue Line makes sense.  If the Orange and Brown Lines get the 7000s first, that will not knock off all of the 2600s as the Blue Line still will have some.  Also, the Brown Line will still have the roof board 3200s.   Yo me, the only way to easily knock out the 2600s is to send all of the 400 7000s to Blue and send the 3200s back to the Brown and Orange Lines.   This will ensure no mixed fleets.

Yeah send them base order of the #7000s to the Blue to retire the #2600s those are in the worse shape but we are blocked because of the track conditions on the Congress branch of the Blue Line I hope CTA can at least renew the tracks on the Congress branch until IDOT puts the gun on the table for CTA. The Orange Line takes really good care of their #2600s and particularly the Brown Line too. If I was responsible I would send the first order of #7000s to the Blue if the tracks were fixed, to knock out the beat up ones in bad shape on that line. 

5 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah send them base order of the #7000s to the Blue to retire the #2600s those are in the worse shape but unfortunately that can’t happen because of the track conditions on the Congress branch of the Blue Line, the Orange Line takes really good care of their #2600s and particularly the Brown Line too. If I was responsible I would send the first order of #7000s to the Blue if the tracks were fixed, to knock out the beat up ones in bad shape on that line. 

True I think for now they should just send the red line 5k’s to the blue line and then red yellow orange brown purple get the 7k’s. Green and pink keep the 5k’s they got. 

1 minute ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

True I think for now they should just send the red line 5k’s to the blue line and then red yellow orange brown purple get the 7k’s. Green and pink keep the 5k’s they got. 

True to me send around 400 of the #5000s to the Blue Line and Green/Pink can keep what they got since most of the #5000s can stay where they are if they a still assigned there, Green/Pink Lines share a little over 200 cars with each other’s and send the leftover 100 plus cars to the Orange Line while the Red/Yellow/Purple & Brown Lines have the #7000s.

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I don't think the 5000s are a good idea for me Blue Line or the Orange Line.   It's a bad fit for passengers carrying luggage to and from the airports.  The 3200s and the 7000s are perfect.  While not perfect, the 2600s are better than the 5000s.   The seating arrangement is just not conducive for airport travelers.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think the 5000s are a good idea for me Blue Line or the Orange Line.   It's a bad fit for passengers carrying luggage to and from the airports.  The 3200s and the 7000s are perfect.  While not perfect, the 2600s are better than the 5000s.   The seating arrangement is just not conducive for airport travelers.

What? The 5000s are better than the 2600s precisely because of the seating arrangement, there's way more space for people and their luggage and there's still some semblance of an aisle. There have been many occasions where the aisle is obstructed, on both Blue & Orange, because of luggage. That wouldn't happen as much with 5000s

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What? The 5000s are better than the 2600s precisely because of the seating arrangement, there's way more space for people and their luggage and there's still some semblance of an aisle. There have been many occasions where the aisle is obstructed, on both Blue & Orange, because of luggage. That wouldn't happen as much with 5000s

Back in the day, some of the Blue Line 2600s had luggage racks.  Maybe installing some wound help.  I don't know what would be better, a full stack rack at the ends of cars or an overhead rack in the middle of the car over the seats?  The latter would  possibly negate the hopper windows. 

If I remember correctly   the 2600s luggage racks were over the aisle in the center of the cat.  I don't remember anyone using them.  They eventually were removed.  I thought they were misplaced. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Back in the day, some of the Blue Line 2600s had luggage racks.  Maybe installing some wound help.  I don't know what would be better, a full stack rack at the ends of cars or an overhead rack in the middle of the car over the seats?  The latter would  possibly negate the hopper windows. 

If I remember correctly   the 2600s luggage racks were over the aisle in the center of the cat.  I don't remember anyone using them.  They eventually were removed.  I thought they were misplaced. 

Wow, do you have pictures? Or know where I could find them? I was actually thinking that trains assigned to the Blue and Orange should come with luggage racks. Taking one of the back sections where the married pair meets would be the perfect area for a full stack.

38 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Wow, do you have pictures? Or know where I could find them? I was actually thinking that trains assigned to the Blue and Orange should come with luggage racks. Taking one of the back sections where the married pair meets would be the perfect area for a full stack.

I agree.  I would have to research to find pics as this was probably early 1990s before the 2600s underwent rehabs.  There were only a handful of cars that had them.  I was lucky enough to ride once or twice.

UPDATE: I went online and Google "cta trains luggage racks " and some pictures came up.   One was car 3200 with the stack luggage racks at the very end of the car.  Perfect spit but probably needs another row of seats taken out.  If and when I figure out how to share it, maybe I can add it to the post.  Whatever winds up on the Blue Line,  preferably the 7000s, luggage racks are needled. 

43 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

From the chicago-l.org page on the 2600s:

Early on, several cars from the last group in the order had luggage racks retrofit into the interiors for use on the West-Northwest Route (later Blue Line) service to O'Hare Airport. The even-numbered cars in the 3162-3180 group had overhead luggage racks retrofit over the center aisles in the middle of the car between the sidedoor sets. The even-numbered cars in the be 3182-3200 group had a shelf-type luggage rack installed in place of a single seat, behind the #3 sidedoor next to the end door at the #2 end of the car. The racks were made with stanchion material by Skokie Shops. Cars with either type of rack were identified on the exterior of the car by a blue decal with a pictogram of a suitcase and the text "Luggage rack equipped" in white next to the sidedoors. Some of the luggage racks were removed in later years, as the racks were not well-utilized. Some of the issues with the racks were that the size of overhead racks could not accommodate larger suitcases, and that the racks at the end of the car were not convenient as passengers would not want to leave bags unattended due to fear of theft. The remainder of the racks were removed during the cars' mid-life overhaul.

Could not find any pictures of the racks or exterior decals in the galleries though.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, juliosnoop1717 said:

From the chicago-l.org page on the 2600s:

Early on, several cars from the last group in the order had luggage racks retrofit into the interiors for use on the West-Northwest Route (later Blue Line) service to O'Hare Airport. The even-numbered cars in the 3162-3180 group had overhead luggage racks retrofit over the center aisles in the middle of the car between the sidedoor sets. The even-numbered cars in the be 3182-3200 group had a shelf-type luggage rack installed in place of a single seat, behind the #3 sidedoor next to the end door at the #2 end of the car. The racks were made with stanchion material by Skokie Shops. Cars with either type of rack were identified on the exterior of the car by a blue decal with a pictogram of a suitcase and the text "Luggage rack equipped" in white next to the sidedoors. Some of the luggage racks were removed in later years, as the racks were not well-utilized. Some of the issues with the racks were that the size of overhead racks could not accommodate larger suitcases, and that the racks at the end of the car were not convenient as passengers would not want to leave bags unattended due to fear of theft. The remainder of the racks were removed during the cars' mid-life overhaul.

Could not find any pictures of the racks or exterior decals in the galleries though.

See my post just above yours concerning car 3200 and thank you for confirming what I had previously posted about the luggage racks. 

57 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Thinking about it some more,  maybe open parcel racks or luggage racks would be better over the seating areas rather than the end of the car so that passengers can be close to their luggage.   The sacrificial lambs would be the hopper windows and the interior destination signs, but with station announcements and the signage at the ends of the cars and the screen on the middle of the 7000s,  that can be made up.  If course,  the third sacrificial lamb might be the advertising space, but as the 7900s prove, advertising isn't that big of a deal as one side of those buses has no advertising  

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I agree.  I would have to research to find pics as this was probably early 1990s before the 2600s underwent rehabs.  There were only a handful of cars that had them.  I was lucky enough to ride once or twice.

UPDATE: I went online and Google "cta trains luggage racks " and some pictures came up.   One was car 3200 with the stack luggage racks at the very end of the car.  Perfect spit but probably needs another row of seats taken out.  If and when I figure out how to share it, maybe I can add it to the post.  Whatever winds up on the Blue Line,  preferably the 7000s, luggage racks are needled. 

I had thought about googling and decided against it cause I figured it'd be too long ago for such specific pictures lol, should've gone with my instincts

12 hours ago, Policeman said:

The ones i take on the orange line are horrible 

4 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

What’s wrong with the ones on the Orange? they seem fine to me. ?

4 hours ago, Policeman said:

They move too much

3 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah they do exercise a lot, at least they are getting what they can get out before the #7000s start to replace them.

I think it's a combination of the orange line not being as linear as the other lines and also more distance between stations; the trains reach and maintain higher speeds than they do on other lines. The gap btwn 35th/Archer & Western is one of the longest in the system outside of the Yellow Line. Dan Ryan branch and Western-westward on the Congress branch are the only lines with similar gaps in between stations. In my experience though, it's never been rickety (although I'm always uneasy at the speed at which they take the flyover's), that award goes to the Evanston branch