7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They should be in service now up to when the order comes in. Only if they have a failure will they go out of service. Also if there are repairs/upgrades to a component that is wearing prematurely they will go out of service but usually only up to 3 weeks. 

Does anyone know how many total 7000s are on CTA property now? Like how many cars will be part of this testing phase?

5 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

according to a CRRC employee on board yesterday’s test the 7000’s will test in passenger service for the next 9 months 

Ok my reference was abc7's press release this morning. So they had CRRC people on board. I guess we are going to see what kind of train the Chinese make. I've been having my american car failing (Ford tranny) as of late. I never thought of a foreign auto but I'm losing my faith in american made stuff. Funny everyone I've talked to says the trans fails around 75k miles and they havent been proven wrong so far. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ok my reference was abc7's press release this morning. So they had CRRC people on board. I guess we are going to see what kind of train the Chinese make. I've been having my american car failing (Ford tranny) as of late. I never thought of a foreign auto but I'm losing my faith in american made stuff. Funny everyone I've talked to says the trans fails around 75k miles and they havent been proven wrong so far. 

Pretty much the only kind of heavy rail train we'll have for a while. A lot people were complaining in comments about CRRC being Chinese and Bombardier should've gotten the contract, all while not realizing Bombardier's Canadian. And now owned by the French lol. I'm also not sure Bomba's making anymore heavy rail cars, which leaves us with just Kawasaki (who's Japanese) & CRRC (maybe Siemens might jump in the game, but they're German). Buy America is pretty much only a thing for parts now, I don't think any company doing light rail, heavy rail or commuter rail rolling stock, is an American company. Wabtec/MPI and EMD/Progress Rail is the only ones I can think of, and that's locos for commuter rail

Took a look a the bus ridership dashboard, last updated 3/28. Seems the busiest period of ridership is during the Weekday PM, on the following routes. These all experience what CTA describes as high ridership. I don't think this is really a surprise (except maybe NB 50, but I'm rarely on Damen, so)

• NB 4, 1p-2p
  • SB 4, 3p-4p
  • NB 9, 12p-4p
  • SB 9, 3p-4p
  • NB 22, 2p-4p
  • SB 22, 4p-5p
  • NB 36, 2p-3p
  • NB 50, 2p-3p
  • EB 63, 3p-4p
  • SB 71, 3p-6p
  • WB 77, 2p-3p

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Took a look a the bus ridership dashboard, last updated 3/28. Seems the busiest period of ridership is during the Weekday PM, on the following routes. These all experience what CTA describes as high ridership. I don't think this is really a surprise (except maybe NB 50, but I'm rarely on Damen, so)

• NB 4, 1p-2p
  • SB 4, 3p-4p
  • NB 9, 12p-4p
  • SB 9, 3p-4p
  • NB 22, 2p-4p
  • SB 22, 4p-5p
  • NB 36, 2p-3p
  • NB 50, 2p-3p
  • EB 63, 3p-4p
  • SB 71, 3p-6p
  • WB 77, 2p-3p

Makes sense. AM rush is weaker cause that rush everyone pretty much is focusing on work and school leaving at the same time but that’s dead with COVID. All you have left for ridership are recreational and midday essential rides which is why mid to Pm rush is probably busier

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Makes sense. AM rush is weaker cause that rush everyone pretty much is focusing on work and school leaving at the same time but that’s dead with COVID. All you have left for ridership are recreational and midday essential rides which is why mid to Pm rush is probably busier

Yeah, I figured the same. I also noticed that typical commuter patterns are returning slightly on routes where it's easy to tell (for instance, the 74 EB in the AM is picking up more passenger and vice versa for 74 WB in the PM). The 136 is also picking up more passengers as well

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

• NB 4, 1p-2p
  • SB 4, 3p-4p
  • NB 9, 12p-4p
  • SB 9, 3p-4p
  • NB 22, 2p-4p
  • SB 22, 4p-5p
  • NB 36, 2p-3p
  • NB 50, 2p-3p
  • EB 63, 3p-4p
  • SB 71, 3p-6p
  • WB 77, 2p-3p

Funny I thought this was a rail thread, particularly about the 7000 series rail cars?

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

• NB 4, 1p-2p
  • SB 4, 3p-4p
  • NB 9, 12p-4p
  • SB 9, 3p-4p
  • NB 22, 2p-4p
  • SB 22, 4p-5p
  • NB 36, 2p-3p
  • NB 50, 2p-3p
  • EB 63, 3p-4p
  • SB 71, 3p-6p
  • WB 77, 2p-3p

uhhhhh ur posting this in the 7000’s forum??? wrong one broski 

22 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Forgot to post this here

So are they test operating in revenue service now??  I saw the news clips the other day. Or are they still in just the test phase?? The media never gets it right!!! 

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Funny I thought this was a rail thread, particularly about the 7000 series rail cars?

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

uhhhhh ur posting this in the 7000’s forum??? wrong one broski 

Yikes, I definitely thought this was Random CTA, that's what I get for having so many tabs open ?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

So are they test operating in revenue service now??  I saw the news clips the other day. Or are they still in just the test phase?? The media never gets it right!!! 

Wednesday April 21st 2021 was the first day the 7000’s have started in passenger service testing on the blue line they will test on the blue line for the next 5 weeks and then go on other lines according to a CRRC employee onboard the 7000’s will come back to the blue line a lot of time within these next 9 months 

4 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Wednesday April 21st 2021 was the first day the 7000’s have started in passenger service testing on the blue line they will test on the blue line for the next 5 weeks and then go on other lines according to a CRRC employee onboard the 7000’s will come back to the blue line a lot of time within these next 9 months 

So.... they’re not testing for all 9months on only blue?

58 minutes ago, strictures said:

I've never seen an 8 car Purple, but I've ridden 4 car Yellows recently, but only two cars were occupied.

Sleet fighters as far as the yellows. But to clear up what I meant. When Howard gets to test the 7000s the test is gonna be done on both lines at once cause they both use short trains even using the Evanston express allows for a spare 2 car set on standby 

• Thanks 1

The 7000-series in-service testing period closely mimics the 5000-series as they tested along all lines in no particular order before being introduced in revenue operations on the Pink Line.

To those that are just being introduced to cta operations, the agency has done this before. As far as testing assignments, this remains to be seen as it seems the in-service testing period will occur in no particular order across the system.

The Purple Line Express and Green Line operate 6 cars due to platform restrictions at certain stations along their respective lines [with Cottage Grove being the reason why the Green Line being restricted to 6 cars. This was evident on wee hours of May 19th, 2013, when an 8 car Ashland/63rd-bound Red Line mistakenly operated through the 59th junction set for a 6 car Cottage Grove-bound Green Line [not operator error by the way]. Local Purple Line service are regulated to 4 car operations, likely due to rideship demographics.

The Yellow Line is of course restricted to 2 car operations due to Dempster-Skokie's platform length, but most recently during the last few winter solstices 4 car operations occurred due to the application of de-icer equipment (sleet fighters) hence why there are only 2 cars open for passengers when in 4 car operation.

I hope this at least answers some questions that some may have been inquiring.