7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

20 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I doubt if the 3200’s are getting replaced anytime soon especially after that rehab they just got. If anything they’ll be around at least another 10-15yrs. I’ll even say the 87 built 2600 will be around another 5yrs because it’s going to be a while before all 7000 series cars arrive. They’ll probably do the 2600 series the same way they did the 2200 series on the blue line which is make them belly cars while the 3200’e lead the front and last 2 cars.

I doubt the #3200s will be around that long. CTA sometimes rehabs stuff like bus #6134 in 2008 and it gets retired by 2011. So roughly 3 years on that bus. You know the CFD got a good bus with #6163, a newer rehab, with work at the lighter fg. It was basically a newly rebuilt bus. 

Now unless CRRC has some major problems delivering on this order, the #3200's should be saying bye bye in 5 years. For train years, and also working in lighter service away from the red line, the trains should be very attractive for museums. Also they are going to be the last DC cars so theres that too. It might be a similar situation to all the 5-50s and high rehabbed #6000s that were still freshly rehabbed not seeing alot of service. 

3200’s will be around for a while I believe. For 1 they spent most of their lives on the Orange and Brown lines. Yes the lines are busy especially the Brown during normal rush hr periods but those lines are relatively short in comparison to the Red and Blue lines. I believe they’ll be on the Blue For a while until all 7000 are delivered which will take a good 3 or 4yrs before those really start to come in. So far starting with the 2200, 2400, and even now with the 2600 series have put in a good 40yrs of service in before getting retired. That’s the current rate of the 2600’s and the 3200’s are a good 10-12 yrs away before that. Cta said they want to have the majority of their rail fleet the average age of 10yrs and once the 7000’s arrive they’ll pretty much be at the age average with the fleet of 5000 and 7000 series combined.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

3200’s will be around for a while I believe. For 1 they spent most of their lives on the Orange and Brown lines. Yes the lines are busy especially the Brown during normal rush hr periods but those lines are relatively short in comparison to the Red and Blue lines. I believe they’ll be on the Blue For a while until all 7000 are delivered which will take a good 3 or 4yrs before those really start to come in. So far starting with the 2200, 2400, and even now with the 2600 series have put in a good 40yrs of service in before getting retired. That’s the current rate of the 2600’s and the 3200’s are a good 10-12 yrs away before that. Cta said they want to have the majority of their rail fleet the average age of 10yrs and once the 7000’s arrive they’ll pretty much be at the age average with the fleet of 5000 and 7000 series combined.

I wish the Blue would stay with all 3200s! Or, Remove the 2600s.  Make the Blue 3200/7000s

2 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

I wish the Blue would stay with all 3200s! Or, Remove the 2600s.  Make the Blue 3200/7000s

With all 3209s, excluding the roifbiards, there aren't enough of them to service the Blue Line.   Ir seems like the Brown Line still has some.  As we discussed before, the Forest Park branch trackage is in horrible shape and currently can't handle the 5000s,  let alone the even heavier 7000s. Heck, there's enough slow zones with the 2600s and 3200s now.  If CRA didn't put any 5000s on the Red Line until the Dan Ryan leg was totally rebuilt,  why would they send 5000s or 7000s to a dilapidated Blue,?  It seems like the Blue will be last in line for new equipment  

7 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I'd be surprised if they do weigh more so I honestly doubt it.  Just watching the way the train runs it accelerates pretty quick.  We'll have to wait and see when the info gets released.

They did test on the Blue Line and you made it video    I don't think they were testing for track issues or weight issues   I would expect testing in revenue service on the Blue Lune Forest Park branch  when the time comes    i still believe the track issues will gave to be resolved before CTA assigns 7000s to the Blue Line 

CTA tested the cars out of service on all 8 lines back in late December early January.  They should be testing in service on all 8 lines as well for a year.  I got videos of the 7000s on the Pink, Blue, and Orange Lines out of service if you want to look through my YT channel.  A friend of mine caught it on the Purple and Red Lines.

5 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Got my first ever visual sighting of a four car test train yesterday @ Merchandise Mart. 

Question: What test was being done this time?

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

Green line run number? Guess they’re training to bring back ravenswood Jackson park service ? the JacksonWood

9 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Got my first ever visual sighting of a four car test train yesterday @ Merchandise Mart. 

Question: What test was being done this time?

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

The term NY railfans use is "burn-in" testing.  It's like trying on a new pair of shoes.  They're just making simulated stops making sure the train runs fine and can handle the stress of being in service.  They have sand bags inside the cars to simulate passengers, trains have the signs on and announcements playing.  Doors open at stops and a worker measures the clearance between the train and platform and tests on the hydraulic suspension system which now has sensors to accurately lower the train to platform level.