7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

• 4 weeks later...
  • Kevin unfeatured this topic
15 hours ago, strictures said:

Any idea why there are keypads on the outside at the B ends of each car?

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say it’s an unlock feature. Like when operators walk to a closed train with a key and unlock a door for themselves to walk in and set themselves up 

I was tracking down a few dates of the timeline of when the new #5000 series, were being tested at Bryn Mawr and when they went into in service testing on the lines. The #5000s were tested at Bryn Mawr 10/20/09 and the first in service testing was in April of 2010, so we may have 6 months to wait until we can see these cars in action at the public level. 

Was reading a little about the manufacturing process. The shells are made in China sent over on a boat to the US porting at either Houston or LA. I know LA has a big customs outfit for imports out there. Never heard about Houston before. Anyway the shells are then transported on flatbed trucks to the south side CRRC plant where the assembly happens. Some components are american in the cars some Chinese. It seems like a big process just getting the shells here. I like the colored ends I hope CTA does not nix that from future orders.