7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Oh, definitely. I'm not sure it would be a 1:1 replacement though, Blue Line would need a schedule adjustment, yes?

Yeah both lines would Need one to avoid both over serving and the issue of too many conflicting junction moves. Plus you’d need to most likely bring back the train identification equipment for Loomis Junction to help the signal system set the correct line up unless the schedule is cut right to where signals can jsut automatically alternate between a UIC, Forest Park and 54th train. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Oh, definitely. I'm not sure it would be a 1:1 replacement though, Blue Line would need a schedule adjustment, yes?

Theoretically the main trunk of the blue line would be the current 2-3 min headways west of UIC every 4-6 then at Racine 10-12 on the branches. (Pink would be cut to every 10-12 min rush) so now Douglas essentially becomes a better choice of service between a direct L ride to UIC then downtown (for more direct red line connections)and O’Hare (helps take pressure off of route #60) or a direct ride to the west loop/ Fulton market area then downtown for Orange, Brown and Purple connections. The best of both worlds as @BusHunter rightfully claims. Also by reducing pink line service this frees up congestion in the loop and since CTA eventually needs track space clear for future brown line additions this helps somewhat 

3 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

i did see another 2 car set outside of skokie not on the side i didn’t get the number 7003-7010 are on the side 

Eventually it will go in service. They have to test it. Good maybe they can get the testing with passengers by Apr. That would be the timeline if you look at my 5000s in service dates.

Well i just picked up a MAJOR clue !!

Looks like the 7000 series are heading first to the BLUE AND GREEN lines !!

Check out video Time stamp 0:46       The line route map inside has the "Blue line" and next a GREEN line on them 

Also first time I ever seen "Howard" sign with a blue colored background lol 

Video Credit goes to youtube user: Transitlife NYC

8 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

Well i just picked up a MAJOR clue !!

Looks like the 7000 series are heading first to the BLUE AND GREEN lines !!

Check out video Time stamp 0:46       The line route map inside has the "Blue line" and next a GREEN line on them 

Also first time I ever seen "Howard" sign with a blue colored background lol 

Video Credit goes to youtube user: Transitlife NYC

It was a test.  There is NO EVIDENCE HERE to suggest the Blue and Green Line will get these cars first.  That doesn't mean they can't  but the video suggests nothing. 

44 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

A friendly request:?

Anyone who ACTUALLY viewed the video. Please feel free to share your thoughts of those line maps inside the cars on the Advertisement boards 

IMO 7000's on the BLUE line would make sense to help retire the remaining 2600 series  ???

Dave

I've caught these trains various times the past week or two.  They have strip maps for all the lines inside, and they're outdated maps.  The train will be testing on all 8 rail lines for 1 year.  As of now there's no proof of where the cars will be assigned to.  

1 hour ago, chitowndude84 said:

Anyone who ACTUALLY viewed the video. Please feel free to share your thoughts of those line maps inside the cars on the Advertisement boards 

IMO 7000's on the BLUE line would make sense to help retire the remaining 2600 series  ???

Dave

You're way ahead of yourself here buddy but good try though.?

2 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

Dave

we will officially know where they’ll be assigned in  1 year to early to say right now as they are in testing 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

You're way ahead of yourself here buddy but good try though.?

Hey if they are successful on the forest pk branch, that may be the game changers us blue line fanboys are waiting for. The only thing I can say by the maps is maybe they will test on the blue line first. I still say it's no coincidence they tested OOS there first. Nice to see #7003-04 and #7007-08 testing. Most likely red line will get them. Too much new construction is happening there south and north for this not to be true and cta doesnt typically run old trains on newly opened lines or extensions. Too bad they couldnt order colored ends on the cars for each line. I think that would be cool and unique to the lines they serve. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Hey if they are successful on the forest pk branch, that may be the game changers us blue line fanboys are waiting for. The only thing I can say by the maps is maybe they will test on the blue line first. I still say it's no coincidence they tested OOS there first. Nice to see #7003-04 and #7007-08 testing. Most likely red line will get them. Too much new construction is happening there south and north for this not to be true and cta doesnt typically run old trains on newly opened lines or extensions. Too bad they couldnt order colored ends on the cars for each line. I think that would be cool and unique to the lines they serve. 

The Red Line extension to 130th won't be open until 2029, three years later than originally anticipated.   I still wondered if IDOT Construction will determine when the 7000s get to the Blue Line. 

54 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The Red Line extension to 130th won't be open until 2029, three years later than originally anticipated.   I still wondered if IDOT Construction will determine when the 7000s get to the Blue Line. 

If CTA is waiting on IDOT they will never get forest park fixed lol. They might have to start without them if the track gets too bad

Probably the whole ike  project is waiting for the Jane Byrne interchange to finish in 2022-23. Then it will get worked on. If Forest pk modernizes a great deal it might actually have a reason to claim 7000s. I didnt realize the red line extension was that far away. Isnt the rail order contingent on a rail service expansion. If they take the 846 7000's where will they put them all if they dont have a 130th yard. 

Meanwhile as for now, the orange and brown lines will look nice with new 7000s on them. The brown line has modernized quite a bit and the flyover is supposed to be done by June, so probably one or the other or possibly both could get first crack at the 7000s. I think it would be too messy to go with red line first, it would still be under construction plus you have the issue of where do all the 5000s go. If they did the brown and orange first, then the answer to that question would be the blue line. Plus maybe blue  line maintenance could bring the cars back from the heavy workout they've had. But pink line really  has the good resources for that. A 100 car yard at 54th and a need for half that many. 

Well going off what is said to happen from garmon, all 3200s end up on Blue by next year. So any 7000s would most likely start on brown and orange to replace the 2600s that end up on those lines. So with a year of testing that means 7000s start seeing permanent service around 2022. So that gives CTA till 2023 to figure out a game plan for how to accommodate new cars on the blue. Now a possible solution seeing as only the forest park end would have issues with the new cars but power becomes sufficient enough by then, maybe 5000s start slowly replacing 2600s but only get sent on UIC runs. What Would be smart in this case would be to do a 2 phase project on the forest park rebuild with the first phase being expedited since it calls for a new IMD turn back which would hopefully allow for turning more trains back without backing up trains behind it.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

That is what I'm afraid of.  CTA will do the westernmost part of the branch only to have IDOT decide they want to relocate the tracks.

How about a 2 phase project to get Clinton to Lotus tunnel since that includes the turnback. If the turnback is big enough then you have new track for at least half of the lime and when the 7000s come in hopefully enough power upgrades are done to where they can at least use 5000s or 7000s on the heavy part since that’s got new track anyway. Only let 2600s do Full route service. 

7 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

Dave

It would be smart in theory but the way the branch is set up the congress can’t support new cars and the new cars use a LOOOOOOOOOOT of power with these new high tech features and we all know these 7000 make the 5000s look like 2200s tech wise so imagine the drain. That’s why only 2 sets of 5000s are allowed on the blue line at the moment. It’ll be like trying to get iPhone 4 to run iOS13 or a Samsung galaxy to run the same stuff a galaxy S20 can. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

It would be smart in theory but the way the branch is set up the congress can’t support new cars and the new cars use a LOOOOOOOOOOT of power with these new high tech features and we all know these 7000 make the 5000s look like 2200s tech wise so imagine the drain. That’s why only 2 sets of 5000s are allowed on the blue line at the moment. It’ll be like trying to get iPhone 4 to run iOS13 or a Samsung galaxy to run the same stuff a galaxy S20 can. 

What do the 7000s have the 5000s dont they look like the same trains. Blue line has some time cta has 300 cars to get before they have to make a decision on blue. Even then they could buy time give blue the pink line 5000s, run them sparingly load up 54th yard with 7000s. That could buy them another 100 cars. After that something will have to be done. 

15 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

What do the 7000s have the 5000s dont they look like the same trains. Blue line has some time cta has 300 cars to get before they have to make a decision on blue. Even then they could buy time give blue the pink line 5000s, run them sparingly load up 54th yard with 7000s. That could buy them another 100 cars. After that something will have to be done. 

Aren’t the maps digital? And heck these are from Japan and 10 years later there’s bound to be newer stuff. Remember the reason why 5000s drain so much compared to the high performance series were due to all this new stuff. Same reason the Red line got so much attention from the early 2000s. Booms in ridership, lack of infrastructure to keep up with the demand and switch to more frequent service and newer cars. Now it’s the blue lines turn. I think what it boils down to is what area started getting heavier first and that was pretty much the Lincoln park area so that’s why Red Brown and Purple got attention first. For all we know Logan square could’ve booked first and blue line would’ve got more attention. That’s not to say it’s not a heavy line itself but these guys had to make due with what they had with little money and a system that’s built with a LOT of limitations blocking expansions of service whether it’s power, new track or the INSANE amount of bottlenecks from trying to squeeze so many trains through 

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Aren’t the maps digital? And heck these are from Japan and 10 years later there’s bound to be newer stuff. Remember the reason why 5000s drain so much compared to the high performance series were due to all this new stuff. Same reason the Red line got so much attention from the early 2000s. Booms in ridership, lack of infrastructure to keep up with the demand and switch to more frequent service and newer cars. Now it’s the blue lines turn. I think what it boils down to is what area started getting heavier first and that was pretty much the Lincoln park area so that’s why Red Brown and Purple got attention first. For all we know Logan square could’ve booked first and blue line would’ve got more attention. That’s not to say it’s not a heavy line itself but these guys had to make due with what they had with little money and a system that’s built with a LOT of limitations blocking expansions of service whether it’s power, new track or the INSANE amount of bottlenecks from trying to squeeze so many trains through 

I doubt a digital map is going to tip the scale, but as with technology, the engineering should be that it takes less power or the power systems are more condensed to do more or it's not really an advance in tech. It's like those big heavy LCD tvs. They have advanced to led to advanced led so they can do more with less. The tvs are lighter than they used to be. Or a 4 cylinder suv. They would laugh you out of town if you told someone 15 years ago hey my blazer has a 4 cylinder. That's part iof the reason the acceleration is so fast on cars and trucks it's the weight and electric trucks are coming like hummer. 

The reason the red got the cars was ultimately the decision of the cta. The infrastructure would then be improved because of it. I think the camera tech helped get it there. Obviously the brass at cta are not  pro blue so I'm not expecting 7000s on blue. It will be the last to get improvements even though service was skyrocketing. Only the cars themselves can persuade them now to change the decision about blue, but I really doubt that happens. It would be something I havent seen since the 80s. The blue never will get new cars, not while the current administration is there.