7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

To be honest,  I really don't know if the power upgrade is an issue fie the Forest Park branch.  Peak time headway is lighter on that branch compared to the O'HARE branch..   The main issue is the track bed and the tracks haven't been replaced since that stretch was built.   Now the fleet is getting heavier as the infrastructure is getting weaker.   I suppose a power upgrade wouldn't hurt..  The outbound ride yo Forest Park is faster than the inbound ride from Forest Park. 

I don't think this will happen, but there was some talk about extending the Blue Line westward to Manheim (and possibly Oak Brook) as part of the Ike rebuild, which would go from Cicero to 25th Ave.

You’re totally right that the issue on forest park is the trackbed. My suggestion was since the power is being done and that also would allow more new cars, why not split the forest park project in 2 phases to get hot to Cicero completely rebuilt while doing modest maintenance west of there. Then when the IKE rebuild happens you do the complete rebuild there. So with the new IMD turnback, you hopefully can effectively turn back more trains and only send 2600s out on the Forest Park trips. 

• Upvote 1

You know. I'm going to stand by my "Call" After seeing BLUE line route map on that test train @ Linden last week. I still see 7000's going to BLUE line first. IMO, Still time to upgrade tracks/power feed  to accommodate them. 

Also I could have sworn I saw a luggage rack on one of the 7000 test cars on a youtube video ??

1 hour ago, chitowndude84 said:

You know. I'm going to stand by my "Call" After seeing BLUE line route map on that test train @ Linden last week. I still see 7000's going to BLUE line first. IMO, Still time to upgrade tracks/power feed  to accommodate them. 

Also I could have sworn I saw a luggage rack on one of the 7000 test cars on a youtube video ??

it wasn’t just blue line it was all 8 line and plus those are old maps not the newer ones

On 1/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, chitowndude84 said:

Blue line won't be getting them first. The Orange line will because it has the oldest cars in the fleet. blue will probably get them last. 

On 1/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, chitowndude84 said:

I mean anything can happen but cta themselves said it’s highly unlikely lol. And apparently the forest park project being split into phase 1 which rebuilds up to IMD would kinda make what I suggested earlier a possibility. What COULD help keep blue line more modernized would be somehow using both Morgan middle and the new IMD turn back to store a lot more trains. Supposedly all 3200s will end up on the blue this year so as 7000s come in Brown and Orange might get them first. Then Howard might get 7000s which would displace 5000s to the blue who should at least have more power capacity by then. Those 5000s would only run up to IMD will the 3200s do the full route. Turnbacks would be everyday all day to help facilitate that and 3200s can just do the night cars since they’d be the only cars allowed out to desplaines

1 minute ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The comments in that video answer the question for you.

I think it's more than that. Temps in the extreme do that to the trains but it's been in the 20's at the coldest. Then that doesn't happen on the elevated because there's less snow. I was surprised to hear it there. Maybe the contact shoes are different or something. Something for the CRRC engineers to figure out. I'd be concerned with the winterization of the cars in their current state. But these are just test cars, not everything is going to work as planned.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John7 said:

But the blue line has "newer" equipment. Those being the 3200's.  Hence why orange will be getting the 7000's first since the orange line is all 2600's. 

Brown and orange will be all 2600 this year so those 2 are the first to get new ones. Then that buys blue line time to get the infrastructure to support more newer generation cars

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Brown and orange will be all 2600 this year so those 2 are the first to get new ones. Then that buys blue line time to get the infrastructure to support more newer generation cars

This is not true.

Remember, the 5000-series began on the Pink Line and simultaneously replaced the Pink Line's 2200-series while transferring the remaining 2600-series to the Blue Line, with the 5000s being placed on everything but the Blue, Brown and Orange Lines (where the last 5000s were supposed to end up).

As of now, seeing that the agency has recently had common practice of placing rail series according to categorical order at specific rail terminals (5000s at Howard, Linden, 95th etc. for easy transfer and maintenance for example) the 7000s might not end up where most may think they are needed but where they'll be easily eased into operations.

8 hours ago, Juniorz said:

This is not true.

Remember, the 5000-series began on the Pink Line and simultaneously replaced the Pink Line's 2200-series while transferring the remaining 2600-series to the Blue Line, with the 5000s being placed on everything but the Blue, Brown and Orange Lines (where the last 5000s were supposed to end up).

As of now, seeing that the agency has recently had common practice of placing rail series according to categorical order at specific rail terminals (5000s at Howard, Linden, 95th etc. for easy transfer and maintenance for example) the 7000s might not end up where most may think they are needed but where they'll be easily eased into operations.

moral of the story is ACCORDING to CTA the 7000’s are being made to replace the 2600’s and (if all goes well) the 3200’s as well 

9 hours ago, Juniorz said:

This is not true.

Actually, between 2008 and 2012, the Pink Line did not have 2200-series cars at all. When the rush-hour runs on the Blue Line from O'Hare to 54th were discontinued in April 2008, all of the Pink Line's 2200s were moved back to the Blue Line, and the Pink Line was given a fleet made up entirely of the highest-numbered 2600-series cars (specifically, 3157-3200). Cars 3001-3022 were on the Pink Line between 2006 and 2008 when they were moved back to the Blue Line. So, when the 5000-series cars arrived, the Pink Line had been all-2600s for several years.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sam92 said:

15 hours ago, Juniorz said:

This is not true.

@garmon757 reported that all of Brown Lune 3200s, with the exception of the roof board 3200s would go to Blue to awP for 2600s.  Orange is already 100% 2600s, and Brown would be nearly l 2600s..  being the first two lines to get the 7000s is very possible based on the track conditions on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line.  When it comes to CTA, nothing is certain until it happens.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

@garmon757 reported that all of Brown Lune 3200s, with the exception of the roof board 3200s would go to Blue to awP for 2600s.  Orange is already 100% 2600s, and Brown would be nearly l 2600s..  being the first two lines to get the 7000s is very possible based on the track conditions on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line.  When it comes to CTA, nothing is certain until it happens.

Well it was reported the red line would get 7000s first, which opens up purple and yellow coming in on the gravy train. That dont make sense but alot of things they do dont make sense. The Purple #5400s are probably the best maintained and still practically new. That would make 5000s go to orange, which they would have to train everyone when they could just get 7000s and do the training once. It's easier to just put 7000s on orange to start, but I dont know if it will actually happen. Why put new cars in the lions den (red line) until the cars have proven themselves. 

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well it was reported the red line would get 7000s first, which opens up purple and yellow coming in on the gravy train. That dont make sense but alot of things they do dont make sense. The Purple #5400s are probably the best maintained and still practically new. That would make 5000s go to orange, which they would have to train everyone when they could just get 7000s and do the training once. It's easier to just put 7000s on orange to start, but I dont know if it will actually happen. Why put new cars in the lions den (red line) until the cars have proven themselves. 

ur right purple line 5400’s are really well maintained and i’m really suprised why they don’t do it with red as well

56 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

ur right purple line 5400’s are really well maintained and i’m really suprised why they don’t do it with red as well

Yeah cta needs to get over the dumb decades old habit of segregating Evanston cars from the mainline cars. Apparently 5400s are technically assigned to linden even though a lot end up stored at Howard. Sucks cause you have 100 cars but base service probably only needs 16. If anything since they’re not doing the smart thing which is rotate purple and red cars to even milage maybe the 2600s should end up on purple since they separate them from the other Howard cars

24 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah cta needs to get over the dumb decades old habit of segregating Evanston cars from the mainline cars. Apparently 5400s are technically assigned to linden even though a lot end up stored at Howard. Sucks cause you have 100 cars but base service probably only needs 16. If anything since they’re not doing the smart thing which is rotate purple and red cars to even milage maybe the 2600s should end up on purple since they separate them from the other Howard cars

there is some cars stored at on the eastern part of the yard at howard idk why when they have linden yard but my guess is linden yard can’t fit all 100 6 car trains 

17 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

If we remember what Garmon stated, he had said Yellow wasn't going to get #7000's, which totally makes no sense. That's got to be an error at CTA or something. No way is Howard yard leaving 6 cars out of the loop. If they do go red first then the first 500 cars are spoken for by the time they do Purple. That will also shut out the Blue line altogether cause 846 cars is just not enough cars for Blue, Red and Purple. So while #7000's going to Blue would be nice, it's a shot in the dark.

Chances of Blue line ending up with the #5400's is good, it's 50 percent out of the box and 100 percent if the cars will be numerical cause the #5400's are the center of the order. Regardless Blue line will have the most #5000's, like red will have the most #7000's.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:05 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

moral of the story is ACCORDING to CTA the 7000’s are being made to replace the 2600’s and (if all goes well) the 3200’s as well 

I doubt if the 3200’s are getting replaced anytime soon especially after that rehab they just got. If anything they’ll be around at least another 10-15yrs. I’ll even say the 87 built 2600 will be around another 5yrs because it’s going to be a while before all 7000 series cars arrive. They’ll probably do the 2600 series the same way they did the 2200 series on the blue line which is make them belly cars while the 3200’e lead the front and last 2 cars.

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I doubt if the 3200’s are getting replaced anytime soon especially after that rehab they just got. If anything they’ll be around at least another 10-15yrs. I’ll even say the 87 built 2600 will be around another 5yrs because it’s going to be a while before all 7000 series cars arrive. They’ll probably do the 2600 series the same way they did the 2200 series on the blue line which is make them belly cars while the 3200’e lead the front and last 2 cars.

I don't think belly cars will happen with the 2600s. It happened with the 2200s because they could not accomodate wheelchairs, so they needed to be paired with 2600s so that all trains are wheelchair accessible.

17 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

I don't think belly cars will happen with the 2600s. It happened with the 2200s because they could not accomodate wheelchairs, so they needed to be paired with 2600s so that all trains are wheelchair accessible.

True. The Brown Line currently operates 2600s and 3200s in mixed train-sets. The 2600s aren't restricted to being belly cars.