7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Might as well leave it, if he's convinced the world is against him, then it is.

If the 7000s are starting on the Blue line, you think they'll be limited to the UIC runs?

Nah cause it’s one train and they probably do have to at least make sure it’s compatible with each part of the system. It’s a test so it could be UIC today, your basement tomorrow 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chitowndude84 said:

Not going to argue semantics on this topic. My original post was referring to first line to have 7000's in REVENUE SERVICE !! Yes, This could be first line to TEST in REVENUE SERVICE and I'm sure we're going to find out very soon all details on this breaking news. What happens with equipment moves down the line is another story. But i'm sure with good positive customer feedback CTA will find ways to keep them on the BLUE !!

With proper funds things can be fixed/upgraded on the forest park line to make these work as permanent equipment. Especially with President Biden's new $$$+$$$$ infrastructure bill

Dave

It is interesting they didn't start on the Red, but it's probably due to RPM, the north main is going to be a mess, wait until they go down to 2 tracks with Purple line service. This turnaround track at IMD is interesting in itself. Do they really plan on turning trains back en mass?? Would make better sense to just send them on the Pink line. They could be reviewing a line cut in the future, because the only way to really redo the blue is to cut service there. This may be how the Blue line goes all #5000's. But IDOT is so slow, 2022 Jane Byrne interchange will finally be done and maybe with a little luck Forest Park will get redone before 2030.

10 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Might as well leave it, if he's convinced the world is against him, then it is.

And comments like this from people like you are what's WRONG with today's society.  I'm entitled to my comments as much as your are.

Just happy to see them first revenue service on the blue. That's my main point !!

2 minutes ago, chitowndude84 said:

And comments like this from people like you are what's WRONG with today's society.  I'm entitled to my comments as much as your are.

Just happy to see them first revenue service on the blue. That's my main point !!

Relax people. Nobody was saying anyone’s against anyone I said what I said to try and clarify that he wasn’t wrong for guessing that they’d appear in TESTING on the blue line first but moreso he took us saying they wouldn’t be PERMANENTLY assigned first as they wouldn’t even show for a test lol. I said before they could show up in our basement for all we know as far as guessing where and when the prototypes go 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It is interesting they didn't start on the Red, but it's probably due to RPM, the north main is going to be a mess, wait until they go down to 2 tracks with Purple line service. This turnaround track at IMD is interesting in itself. Do they really plan on turning trains back en mass?? Would make better sense to just send them on the Pink line. They could be reviewing a line cut in the future, because the only way to really redo the blue is to cut service there. This may be how the Blue line goes all #5000's. But IDOT is so slow, 2022 Jane Byrne interchange will finally be done and maybe with a little luck Forest Park will get redone before 2030.

I think they might want to turn more trains around before IMD just to not waste trains going out to forest park every 3 min in the AM (same issues as dan Ryan). Even with he UIC turn backs now since it’s no room to flip a train as quick they end up sending more trains to FP then they need 

8 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

And so we have this new "gumdrop" ?

Sooooooooo........Not a guy to "toot" my own horn. Just gotta love it when I posted >ACTUAL EVIDENCE< back in December and some Chitransit "CTA Bored Members" rudely just shoot it down with NOTHING to back it up. Must be some "1+1=55" Chicago Politics going on here ?? ?? ?? 

All ribbing aside. I CAN'T WAIT to ride them on the BLUE !!! It's nice to know that visitors flying in from all over the world get to see our newest L trains in service at O'Hare !! ?? Hopefully they have a better chance of staying clean/Survival-low vandalism on the BLUE vs other lines

I love how you bring this back up after several members kindly corrected you with evidence stating that these railcars would get tested on all 8 lines and we still don't know where a majority of them will go once a larger portion is produced and delivered but nice try though. The Blue line needs an overhaul first before you start putting them on there so that's all I'll say about that.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of track rehab anyone know the reason that Dan Ryan didnt get the same clips as the Blue Line on the Kennedy? I know they went to wood ties cause of quality but why only use the newer clips on the curves vs the brown line which was done after but still got them? 

24 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Speaking of track rehab anyone know the reason that Dan Ryan didnt get the same clips as the Blue Line on the Kennedy? I know they went to wood ties cause of quality but why only use the newer clips on the curves vs the brown line which was done after but still got them? 

Did it have to do with the ballasting? I'm out of my field here, so I'm happy to be wrong

37 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Did it have to do with the ballasting? I'm out of my field here, so I'm happy to be wrong

Not sure. Kennedy didn’t need it but it’s just weird how every other line kept the new design while the Dan ryan got a basic design 

55 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What I will say is, I just realized how that blue cap could be confusing for riders, especially once the 7000s make there way to other lines. I know it's not that much of a concern, but more than 1 person is going to wonder "why is there a Blue Line train at my Brown Line stop?"

Maybe a few will think this, but if they're looking at the front of the train then it should be hard to miss the bright digital destination sign. Isn't MBTA the only US rail system that actually has its fleet coordinated with line colors?

7 minutes ago, juliosnoop1717 said:

Maybe a few will think this, but if they're looking at the front of the train then it should be hard to miss the bright digital destination sign. Isn't MBTA the only US rail system that actually has its fleet coordinated with line colors?

Ah, I can't believe I forgot about that LOL. Maybe I'm one of the people I was talking about. And yes, MBTA does, but that has more to do with the fact that the fleets can't be mixed, especially their blue line (which is dual mode). Philly also color coordinates for the same reason (MFL runs on different gauge than the BSL and I also believe the lines are completely separated from each other). 

1 minute ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

My Shots From Today 

i also have a video uploaded to my youtube channel with a ride along 

these trains are really beautiful and today was a successful day no delays no problems occurred everything went smooth 

13FF8937-9E24-4374-8DA5-588B69E40824.jpeg

AAFDF576-CA35-4E5B-8517-C6970A470899.jpeg

D69B18A1-9EA3-4E84-B30D-78BC7FD6C406.jpeg

3DC5E6C6-2A58-4BE8-BFBC-BB88733E68A1.jpeg

980CCDA3-134C-4A8F-914C-77535552B848.jpeg

Beautiful shots! I haven't liked a train car so much since the 2200s and 3200s

3 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ah, I can't believe I forgot about that LOL. Maybe I'm one of the people I was talking about. And yes, MBTA does, but that has more to do with the fact that the fleets can't be mixed, especially their blue line (which is dual mode). Philly also color coordinates for the same reason (MFL runs on different gauge than the BSL).

To be fair I'd argue that's also the only reason that such color coordination is worth it. Otherwise I don't know why you'd want to limit the flexibility of your fleet like that.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What I will say is, I just realized how that blue cap could be confusing for riders, especially once the 7000s make there way to other lines. I know it's not that much of a concern, but more than 1 person is going to wonder "why is there a Blue Line train at my Brown Line stop?"

I can only imagine how that will go. People can't be that gullible but then again I can't be surprised if they are. I've been asked so many things over the years while being a passenger and now an operator. 

6 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I can only imagine how that will go. People can't be that gullible but then again I can't be surprised if they are. I've been asked so many things over the years while being a passenger and now and operator. 

Never will I ever forget the passenger that got on a EB 124 and asked the bus driver if it went to Navy Pier. I was truly shocked. The headsign and announcements were working as well, and she didn't obviously seem blind or deaf, but that's what she asked ?

39 minutes ago, juliosnoop1717 said:

To be fair I'd argue that's also the only reason that such color coordination is worth it. Otherwise I don't know why you'd want to limit the flexibility of your fleet like that.

Of course. Although I do wish CTA would wrap some cars like how they did for the Pink Line, but oh well

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I heard there's new updated announcements on these trains too, and the only ride video I saw was cut into portions.     Does anyone know when they'll start testing on a different line?

Could be up to 6 weeks if the #5000's testing is any indication. They also may retest on a line but may not retest on all of them.

4 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Ok. Hopefully when they come to green line I'll get a chance to see them or even ride them!

They should be in service now up to when the order comes in. Only if they have a failure will they go out of service. Also if there are repairs/upgrades to a component that is wearing prematurely they will go out of service but usually only up to 3 weeks.