7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

The new rail cars were mentioned briefly during May's Finance, Audit, and Budget committee meeting. their was an amended change to a spending obligation, where an additional  $1.5 million was allocated toward "modification of the equipment room at Skokie shops allowing for testing equipment to service the new rail cars" (Page 28, line 1-5) .  

Sounds like they are making progress toward having them on site... but no other mentions of the cars during the board meeting.

Interestingly, they also amended spending for an additional 39 million to purchase "E-buses" (page 27 line 19). 

Source can be found here: https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/May2020_-_FAB_Committee_Transcripts.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

"Bus slow zones” are being addressed through the bus lanes program. 79th, Chicago, and Western have short stretches of bus lanes now. CDOT and CTA are planning further improvements on those streets as well as 63rd, Belmont, Halsted, and Pulaski.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/mayor/press_room/press_releases/2019/october/PriorityBusZones.html

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

"Bus slow zones” are being addressed through the bus lanes program. 79th, Chicago, and Western have short stretches of bus lanes now. CDOT and CTA are planning further improvements on those streets as well as 63rd, Belmont, Halsted, and Pulaski.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/mayor/press_room/press_releases/2019/october/PriorityBusZones.html

Bus lanes is being generous, they’re really queue jumps (at least for 79th St)

• 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, Marcin said:

On which line will In Service Testing Begin?

Usually the Red Line is the first one to get the testing cars.  You will probably see them testing in nonrevenue service for awhile first.   Then I would expect to see them test in revenue service first on the Red Line. 

I don't remember the exact order of testing for the 5000s, but Red was first followed by Green.   I think Pink was third, with Purple and Yellow being last.

56 minutes ago, Marcin said:

Where will cars be assigned after Testing is over?

That we don't know yet. 

I believe the Brown and Orange Lines will be first to get them assigned.   The Blue Line was supposed to get them,  but based on the deterioration of the tracks and r.o.w of the Forest Park branch, I don't think that section and support the weight and power of the new cars.   Before the 3200s were sent to the Blue Line,  CTA tested a four car consist on the Forest Park branch,  which obviously didn't go well  

Add to the fact that CTA IS WAITING on IDOT to commence an Ike rebuild so they can coordinate a Forest Park branch rebuild with them.