7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

4 hours ago, WCR said:

This new photo of the 7000s has surfaced (via Railway Gazette). More details are visible, such as the side panels having 10 ribs (as opposed to 13 thinner ones on 5000s). Run number display box is on the left side like on the 3200s and 5000s. Expect these testing on CTA rails real soon!

28996_uschicagocta7000seriesprototypecrrcsifangamerica_926219.jpg

Also the lime green "diaper covers", since they can't couple electrically with the 5000s. Interesting to see that they put extenders on the third rail shoes to adapt the CTA trolley block assembly for the CRRC test track third rail.

I noticed that the speaker where the horns on CTA railcars are placed looks different than the ones previously used. I wonder if it will sound any different than the current fleet. I remember when the 5000s were arriving their speaker horns were noticeably higher pitched than the horns on the High Performance cars, but now they sound similar.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Also the lime green "diaper covers", since they can't couple electrically with the 5000s. Interesting to see that they put extenders on the third rail shoes to adapt the CTA trolley block assembly for the CRRC test track third rail.

I noticed that the speaker where the horns on CTA railcars are placed looks different than the ones previously used. I wonder if it will sound any different than the current fleet. I remember when the 5000s were arriving their speaker horns were noticeably higher pitched than the horns on the High Performance cars, but now they sound similar.

What are (the) High Performance cars?

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I wonder if the Blue end caps will stay?  They bring life to the cars.  I hope they do, but I don't think it will happen. 

You guys really overthink.  The renderings had blue on the end caps so obviously this is permanent.  I'm glad the color on the cars are coming back though.  I would love to see another Chicago Flag wrapped train and have that stay permanent.  But that's just my opinion.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What are (the) High Performance cars?

Anthony already answered, but I’ll add a little more detail. The High Performance family cars contain more refinements to car systems than the previous 6000 series. Both used DC motors, but the HP cars motors were more refined to be less jerky than previous cars (although by today’s standards they are relatively jerky). They also introduced air conditioning and fluorescent lighting into production cars. Since the propulsion systems were more advanced than the ones on the 6000s, they can only mechanically couple to them, in case a 6000 series set brakes down and needs a push, or vice versa. They cannot electrically couple to the 6000s (supposedly because they have more pins in the electric coupler), and today, they cannot electrically couple to the 5000s, only mechanically.

20 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

The High Performance cars are the series starting with the 2000s and ending with the 3200s. They can be electrically coupled together.

Correct. At one point there was an 8 car set of almost the whole family from the 2200s to the 3200s put together for a charter. While they do all work together, slight variations of equipment -such as the motors- over the years created handling differences between the cars, but since they are generally not mixed with the exception of the Brown Line and formerly the Blue Line, this isn’t really an issue.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 6:54 AM, artthouwill said:

I wonder if the Blue end caps will stay?  They bring life to the cars.  I hope they do, but I don't think it will happen. 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, WCR said:

Testing has begun! Here's car 7006 with (presumably) its mate 7005 on the test tracks outside CRRC in Hegewisch. Sorry about the quality, wanted to get it posted here asap.

20191212_113143.jpg

If the test cars are any indication, the end caps are staying.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:28 AM, chicagocubs6323 said:

And this was taken at the CRRC plant in China.  This came out months ago

On 1/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

You guys really overthink.  The renderings had blue on the end caps so obviously this is permanent.  I'm glad the color on the cars are coming back though.  I would love to see another Chicago Flag wrapped train and have that stay permanent.  But that's just my opinion.

6 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

20191212_113143.jpg

If the test cars are any indication, the end caps are staying.

I remember the last 5000s came with blue wrapped end caps but did not stay once testing was completed.   Hopefully these remain.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I remember the last 5000s came with blue wrapped end caps but did not stay once testing was completed.   Hopefully these remain.

They didn't come with that wrap when delivered.  That was only a promo wrap on I believe 5009-10.  The renderings of the 5000 series cars do not show the promo scheme on the cars.

I just thought about if the CTA got all 846 7000s, it would be smarter fleet wise to flip the 5000s, put the 5000s on the orange, brown and blue lines and make red, purple, yellow, pink and green 7000s. With 846 7000s, that would be 400 cars on the blue line, I don’t really think orange and brown needs nor can store 446 cars between those two lines. Send the 7000s to red that’s 440 cars on red, 100 cars on purple, 8 cars on yellow, then put like 170 cars on the green line then 128 cars on the pink line. That’s green and pink running 8 car trains during rush periods. There’s enough 5000s between blue, orange and brown to fulfill their fleets.

7 hours ago, Javi78 said:

I just thought about if the CTA got all 846 7000s, it would be smarter fleet wise to flip the 5000s, put the 5000s on the orange, brown and blue lines and make red, purple, yellow, pink and green 7000s. With 846 7000s, that would be 400 cars on the blue line, I don’t really think orange and brown needs nor can store 446 cars between those two lines. Send the 7000s to red that’s 440 cars on red, 100 cars on purple, 8 cars on yellow, then put like 170 cars on the green line then 128 cars on the pink line. That’s green and pink running 8 car trains during rush periods. There’s enough 5000s between blue, orange and brown to fulfill their fleets.

All 846 wouldn't come at once

So far we know 400 will come.  I don't remember how many options CTA has on this contract.   By not math, CTA would need 650 cars to cover the Brown,  Orange,  and Blue lines .  Perhaps they take the rest and put them on the Green and Pink Lines so their 5000s can go to Red to cover the yet to be Red Line extension to 130th.

8 hours ago, Javi78 said:

Blue Line probably won't have had the necessary work done to support 5000s across the entire line (specifically the Congress branch)

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Blue Line probably won't have had the necessary work done to support 5000s across the entire line (specifically the Congress branch)

Your probably right. But the blue will probably want to hold on to the 3200s as long as it can. The stage is being set for the brown and orange line to get upgraded cars first. 5000 or 7000s only heaven knows. 

I wouldnt mind seeing the Blue with mostly 3200s and some 7000s   I hope thats what ends up happening  I love the 3200s!!! Its been over a year now since their arrival on the Blue. I still tend to catch more 2600s than 3200 trains when I ride. But thats ok!  The 2600s are extremely dirty smelly and filthy. They need to be gone soon!!!  

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I wouldnt mind seeing the Blue with mostly 3200s and some 7000s   I hope thats what ends up happening  I love the 3200s!!! Its been over a year now since their arrival on the Blue. I still tend to catch more 2600s than 3200 trains when I ride. But thats ok!  The 2600s are extremely dirty smelly and filthy. They need to be gone soon!!!  

If cars retired just because they're filthy most of the red line's 5000s would be gone by now 

10 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

There's something called cleaning.  And it makes the train look "new".  But yes sure.... let's scrap every dirty train on the Pink, Blue, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Purple, Red, and Green Lines and we'll be left with NOTHING!  Be grateful you have fast & reliable train service.  

It's WINTER.  Trains getting dirty is normal and it's a very easy fix.  Lucky for you, March and April are right around the corner and all rail cars will be washed on the inside and outside.  

• Upvote 2