Resumption of Pace routes and services

renardo870

Now that Illinois is back open at 100% capacity, are there any plans to restore any of the Pace routes and services that was suspended due to Covid-19? Wondering if pre-pandemic schedules will return or will there be modified schedules like what Metra is doing?

Edited by renardo870

I've watched some of the recent board meetings and there hasn't been any detailed discussion. There was concern about social distancing when they bring the school trips back, but it doesn't seem like that will be an issue anymore.

There's a board meeting this week and a planning committee meeting next week; hopefully they'll have some more updates at those. 

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Now that Illinois is back open at 100% capacity, are there any plans to restore any of the Pace routes and services that was suspended due to Covid-19? Wondering if pre-pandemic schedules will return or will there be modified schedules like what Metra is doing?

Good question.   My thoughts are that unless there is a demand or public outcry, the majority of the suspended service won't come back.  There were some low ridership routes cut.  I'm not sure about the Metra feeder routes.  If Metra sees a major uptick in ridership, the feeders may come back.

What could be restored are some of the trips that were eliminated on some routes like the 332 and others.  Assuming schools reopen, school trippers should return.  

Yeah, the 25 Pace Routes with service reductions should resume full service by the Fall 2021 Pick along with the School Trippers if approved during upcoming meetings. Of the remaining 73 routes that was suspended, the Metra Feeders will possibly return (probably streamlined) if Metra ridership increases on the BNSF, ME, RI & UP-N and if demand warrants it like @artthouwill stated. I hear Metra will also be expanding service on the other 7 lines probably between late July and Sept.

4 hours ago, renardo870 said:

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I've watched some of the recent board meetings and there hasn't been any detailed discussion. There was concern about social distancing when they bring the school trips back, but it doesn't seem like that will be an issue anymore.

There's a board meeting this week and a planning committee meeting next week; hopefully they'll have some more updates at those. 

The SW Division routes need to be restored to full service, especially the 379, 383 and 386. IIRC, every SW division route other than the 381 was sent to a Saturday schedule 7 days a week, which often made for crowded buses and an inability to adhere to covid restrictions early on in the pandemic (since buses would only be coming every hour). Only exception to this is the 382, which I'm not sure is coming back outside of its warehouse routing. 

21 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

Yeah, the 25 Pace Routes with service reductions should resume full service by the Fall 2021 Pick along with the School Trippers if approved during upcoming meetings. Of the remaining 73 routes that was suspended, the Metra Feeders will possibly return (probably streamlined) if Metra ridership increases on the BNSF, ME, RI & UP-N and if demand warrants it like @artthouwill stated. I hear Metra will also be expanding service on the other 7 lines probably between late July and Sept.

Is the fall pick September? Personally, I feel like that's too long to wait to restore service on these routes, but I can only speak for Pace SW.

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The SW Division routes need to be restored to full service, especially the 379, 383 and 386. IIRC, every SW division route other than the 381 was sent to a Saturday schedule 7 days a week, which often made for crowded buses and an inability to adhere to covid restrictions early on in the pandemic (since buses would only be coming every hour). Only exception to this is the 382, which I'm not sure is coming back outside of its warehouse routing. 

Is the fall pick September? Personally, I feel like that's too long to wait to restore service on these routes, but I can only speak for Pace SW.

You're right. It may be in August. Most of the suburban schools open during that time.

I listened to the Pace Planning Committee meeting on YouTube.

July 2nd, 2021 will see the return of the Schaumburg Trolley and Ravinia Park routes. 

August 8th, 2021 will bring the 241, 566, and 573 back. Full service will be restored on the 356, 357, 383, 386, 561, 564, and 569 on that date. 383 will have "unproductive route segments" eliminated, which suggests to me that the 104th/Pulaski trips will be extended to run on the main route. 

94% of school trips will operate in the fall, with school trip changes on 310, 311, 313, 315, 322, 422, and 423. 10 existing trips will be eliminated and 3 new ones will be added. 

Bears/Soldier Field service will return in the fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

July 2nd, 2021 will see the return of the Schaumburg Trolley and Ravinia Park routes. 

August 8th, 2021 will bring the 241, 566, and 573 back. Full service will be restored on the 356, 357, 383, 386, 561, 564, and 569 on that date. 383 will have "unproductive route segments" eliminated, which suggests to me that the 104th/Pulaski trips will be extended to run on the main route. 

94% of school trips will operate in the fall, with school trip changes on 310, 311, 313, 315, 322, 422, and 423. 10 existing trips will be eliminated and 3 new ones will be added. 

Glad to see the 386 back to full service, although it's entirely late. Hadn't realized the 379 and other routes returned to regular service.

As for the 383 trips, those might be eliminated entirely instead of extended.

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Looking like the 320 and the 757 are not coming back.  The eliminated round trip on the 332 isn't coming back either.  Most of the return service is concentrated south.  

I think the west school trippers will be realigned with other routes 

19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Looking like the 320 and the 757 are not coming back.  The eliminated round trip on the 332 isn't coming back either.  Most of the return service is concentrated south.  

I think the west school trippers will be realigned with other routes 

You think the 877, 888 & 895 will go the same way?

They only mentioned that the other routes will be continue to be suspended.

Pace is wrapping up a study of the Tri-State, and the meeting presenter said it will recommend five stations. I imagine that the 877, 888, and 895 are a good base to build from and would expect those routes to return eventually in one form or another.

32 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

You think the 877, 888 & 895 will go the same way?

I don't know.   It doesn't seem like they are coming back anytime soon, although the signs along 22nd St in Oak Brook and Lombard still have the 877 and 888 listed ( and not taped over).  The 305 and 327 are taped over at Roosevelt and Desplaines  ( the 305 is taped over because it now turns east and stops on Roosevelt,  not serving the Forest Park mall any longer).  There was only one 327 trip outbound in a.m rush and one inbound in the p m rush.  I think both interlined with the 320.

I do see the 895 coming back ever, in part due to the redundancy between Rosemont and Schaumburg,  though when the Western Bypass gets built, it could resurface.  That won't be completed for another 3 years.

Speaking of 3 years, I wonder how Oace plans to  convert buses from diesel to combustible natural gas when the Wheeling garage opens.   In that time frame,  the oldest Eldorado Axxess buses are up for retirement age with the next batch due a year later.  It would seem like Pace would be better off ordering new buses with Combustible ir Compressed Natural gas

• 1 month later...

According to the new alerts on the Pace website, here what’s happening with the COVID restoration of certain services effective Sun, August 8th & Mon, August 9th:

•Routes #241, #566 & #573 will be restored and put back on its full service schedule from before it was suspended.

•Routes #356, #357, #386 and #569 will have their regular Weekday service restored before service on these routes were reduced.

•Route #383 will have its regular weekday service restored south of Cicero/103rd, with new routing as all buses will now serve the Rivercrest Shopping Center via Cal Sag, Rivercrest Dr and Cicero. The weekday “R” trips to Rivercrest via 127th, Ridgeland, and 135th routing will be discontinued due to low ridership.

“School-Days-Only” service that was previously suspended on the following bus routes: 

213, 221, 230, 240, 241, 250, 270, 301, 313, 314, 322, 350, 352, 385, 421, 422, 423, 533, 540, 546, 547, 548, 561, 

562, 566, 568, 569, 572 & 573

…will be reinstated. School days trip on routes #310 & #315 will be discontinued due to low ridership.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, Railguy said:

Saw it discussed as part of budget presentation. Dont know any details

If this is true, and we don't know this right now, it could make sense before long.  I was at the Route 59 Metra Station the other day, the parking lot is starting to fill back up.  Not pre-pandemic levels yet, but you can tell cars are coming back.  This station use to have a waiting list just to get a spot, sometimes years.  Might still be a few months before we see feeder routes, but it's certainly possible.  Also, the El Dorados that ran all of the feeder routes, some of them are either retired or moved to different routes so it'll be interesting to see what Pace would plan to do.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Pace is having a planning committee meeting which will shed light on the next set of route restorations.

FOR WEB - Agenda Planning Committee 1-12-22_0-2.pdf 198.85 kB · 2 downloads

The system wide facilities plan will be interesting    What will become of Wheeling and the replacement plan for Desplaines? How soon will Plainfield open?

While signs have disappeared for routes like 320, 327, and 757, route signs for 877 and 888 and 895 at Rosemont still remain.  What will become of these routes?

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The system wide facilities plan will be interesting    What will become of Wheeling and the replacement plan for Desplaines? How soon will Plainfield open?

While signs have disappeared for routes like 320, 327, and 757, route signs for 877 and 888 and 895 at Rosemont still remain.  What will become of these routes?

Hope to get some information on this today.

5 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Hope to get some information on this today.

I am watching the meeting now.  It's up on YouTube.   Search Pace Planning Committee.   I will comment later. 

Y

UPDATE ;  Nothing definitive except Plainfield opening in Summer 2022, River garage getting expanded

It doesn't appear there are any plans to restore any routes.  It appears that the Metra feeders may never come back ck, at least in the form that we once knew