Resumption of Pace routes and services

renardo870

Aurora used to have "memory schedules", like 25 and 55 after each hour. Once you make it say 20,55,30,05,40 etc. drives intending passengers away. CTA gets away with odd intervals because they are short. Once you get past 30 minutes it starts mattering. Also having 25 on some and 35 on other routes means no connections. All of this goes a long way towards discouraging riding. 

10 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Aurora used to have "memory schedules", like 25 and 55 after each hour. Once you make it say 20,55,30,05,40 etc. drives intending passengers away. CTA gets away with odd intervals because they are short. Once you get past 30 minutes it starts mattering. Also having 25 on some and 35 on other routes means no connections. All of this goes a long way towards discouraging riding. 

But as I said, the ridership must have been lost BEFORE this change.

Go back and read the pertinent thread instead of ignoring it.

11 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Any word on how the 2023 Pace Budget Meeting went in regards to the proposed permanent discontinuance of the 69 bus routes and permanent route reductions?

The meeting doesn't mean anything other than activists blowing steam. The same with email comments--Pace doesn't respond. The only thing that would count is if the Board, at its Nov. 9 meeting votes to amend the budget, which it never has. Pace also made quite clear what its position on restoring the service cuts is.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, renardo870 said:

Any word on how the 2023 Pace Budget Meeting went in regards to the proposed permanent discontinuance of the 69 bus routes and permanent route reductions?

Metzger's comments at the Nov. Board meeting in the budget portion were that Dir. Marcucci got some comments about Du Page losing its feeders, primarily 616 from Hamilton Lakes to the Itasca Metra; she has a group talking to Hamilton Lakes about VanGo. Other than that, the deletions and reductions are permanent, but that does not preclude reinstatement if justification arises. Also, BOS could be increased if Pace could get drivers. Other than that, all public comments went into the Board packet, but were not further acknowledged.

There was also a discussion about a program to bring back van pool riders. In that discussion, Dir. Marcucci noted that the feeders had a poor recovery ratio, while the van pool has usually paid for itself, and Metzger said there were discussions with Metra on subsidizing van pool. Finally, Metzger mentioned the point I made way before that there were plenty of parking spaces at the Metra stations.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, Busjack said:

Metzger's comments at the Nov. Board meeting in the budget portion were that Dir. Marcucci got some comments about Du Page losing its feeders, primarily 616 from Hamilton Lakes to the Itasca Metra; she has a group talking to Hamilton Lakes about VanGo. Other than that, the deletions and reductions are permanent, but that does not preclude reinstatement if justification arises. Also, BOS could be increased if Pace could get drivers. Other than that, all public comments went into the Board packet, but were not further acknowledged.

There was also a discussion about a program to bring back van pool riders. In that discussion, Dir. Marcucci noted that the feeders had a poor recovery ratio, while the van pool has usually paid for itself, and Metzger said there were discussions with Metra on subsidizing van pool. Finally, Metzger mentioned the point I made way before that there were plenty of parking spaces at the Metra stations.

Wonder if the corporate offices in Downers Grove that Route 465 served also chimed in?  

55 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

Wonder if the corporate offices in Downers Grove that Route 465 served also chimed in?  

There was a stink 5 years ago that the employees weren't supporting it sufficiently, to the extent that Pace went out there to see what the problem was,* so it's hard to conceive of it now, but I guess you would have to ask Dir. Marcucci.

Considering that the Lake-Cook Shuttle Bug was the premier reverse feeder system, and Dir. Soto said no way that is ever returning, it's hard to conceive any similar demand elsewhere. Besides the COVID related issue of return to the office not being on a regular schedule, there is also the trend of some corporations moving from the suburbs back to the city.

*Looking back at the 2017 posts, one of the issues was that employer shuttles were competing with 465, so I suppose that that could cope with any demand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 7:38 PM, Busjack said:

Besides Pace having said so, another reason Shuttle Bugs are not coming back: Walgreens is selling 2 of its main buildings in Deerfield. Add this to Allstate and Baxter pulling out.

They're probably moving everybody still going into the office to their new digs downtown, which is probably easier to get to anyway via public transportation.  

6 hours ago, rotjohns said:

They're probably moving everybody still going into the office to their new digs downtown, which is probably easier to get to anyway via public transportation.  

Allstate is. Walgreens is reportedly consolidating locations, but these two are the big buildings.

• 2 months later...

So far, at least in the west suburbs, Pace has not yet removed the bus stop sign on the feeders even though they officially discontinued them on 11/10.  I remember a while ago pre-pandemic when routes were cut due to low ridership, it took Pace forever to take down signs.  Wonder what's taking them so long this time?

49 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

So far, at least in the west suburbs, Pace has not yet removed the bus stop sign on the feeders even though they officially discontinued them on 11/10.  I remember a while ago pre-pandemic when routes were cut due to low ridership, it took Pace forever to take down signs.  Wonder what's taking them so long this time?

Pace also hasn't removed or taped over signage for Routes 877 and 888 along 22nd St in Oak Brook=Oakbrook Terrace. 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, rotjohns said:

All the 696 bus stops in Arlington Heights are still up as well!

• 1 month later...

Reinforcing that the cuts foreshadowed in the aborted portion of the North Shore coordination Plan are going to happen: There is currently a proposal to demolish Northbrook Court (except for Neiman Marcus), build a boutique pedestrian shopping center north of Nieman, and convert the rest into mixed-use communities. No need for 213, 422, or 626 to go there. (Source; a large .pdf). There also doesn't seem to be much justification for 471 to go to there or Deerbrook.

There are also various reports that Walgreens has pulled out of the buildings south of Lake-Cook Road.

3 hours ago, strictures said:

I find that pretty funny that Pace takes forever to take down signs, when I've been trying for months to get them to put up a sign for the 422 at Lake & Columbus in Wilmette.  It's listed as a stop & there's a sign for the EB stop, but not for the WB stop!

It isn't a Posted Stop Only route, so it doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, strictures said:

Except experience has taught me the drivers on the 422 only stop at posted stops!

BTW, an old Tribune story, since often repeated, reminded me that the Murray brothers would have used that stop, if they rode the bus and still lived in Wilmette. (flikr story)

• 1 month later...

Speaking of service, I have an Interesting story, in late May/early June I was listing to my scanner. One of the buses on the 422 that left old Orchard around three o'clock called dispatch. Apparently Loyola Academy was done for the summer. When the operator called dispatch to inquire as to how the trip should be ran the reply was, "operator run that trip as of school was in season." Finally this supervisor got annoyed with getting asked that question repeatedly that he said, "we will run that trip as of school was in season until the new pick goes into effect." I have a feeling that this is common at the beginning/end of the school year? Also is it normal to run a school trip even if school is not in season? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, rotjohns said:

If you think that’s a long time, there is still a bus stop sign up for route 713 near the entrance of the old BP/Amoco campus in Naperville. The 713 was discontinued in 2008. 

15 hours ago, Railguy said:

Look at the Pace employment webpage 

That isn't definitive of there being shortages. Pace has always advertised for Bus Operators, the difference being that, except for FV, the postings were for PTOs, not FTOs. One has to be on the inside to know, although there are other indications, such as the hiring events, Metzger saying that there weren't enough drivers for a full roll-out of Dempster Pulse, and Director Marcucci complaining that College of Du Page doesn't have a CDL program. Usually the same for the mechanics' area. There seems to be an unusually high number of headquarters jobs, but the Capital Infrastructure ones are undoubtedly due to the effect of Rebuild Illinois either directly on Pace or indirectly based on road improvements affecting transit.