jesi2282

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally rode one this morning, on the 81W. They do have decent pickup, but the engine noise is rather annoying. It seems like there's less leg room than a 40' bus, and the seats seem smaller, but both of those could be my imagination. My biggest complaint is the location of the horizontal bar on the windows; when seated in the high-floor section at the back, it's right at eye level.

• 2 months later...

B) While standing out @Jackson/Financial abt 1130p, I saw an Opus #543 on a NB 151 to Clark/Devon. That seems funny, considering that will be a long ride on a short bus. It was a moderate load, but I can imagine when it gets to Michigan/Wacker or Water Tower, it will be full!!

Speaking of Opus, did CTA exercise its order to receive up to 125 or are they waiting for the budget to pass? I hear that Archer may be getting some of the OPUS to take over the U of C routes. It would be probably 170-174. 192 would still be out of 103rd, since they use 7500 artics. They would probably use them on 55A/55N, 62H, 63W and 165.

No. CTA has not exercised the options for additional Optimas. Nor will they. 45 is more than enough for what little use they are.

Of the 43 buses delivered (out of 45 on order), 16 are at 103rd, 11 are at North Park, and 16 are at Forest Glen.

Sorry but I think theyre goofy looking, dinky little buses. I think its a shame that CTA has resorted to this type of bus.

• 2 weeks later...

B)

Except the Orions.

O.o

I saw 535 on 151 Run 369 going EB on Jackson going to Clark/Devon. It really seems funny to see those buses downtown, let alone the Sheridan route. I know the 173 usually have the short buses coming downtown, although that route doesn't run during the summer.

I saw #525 on #56A North Milwaukee at Jefferson Park Terminal today around 4:20pm, and it was packed as it left the terminal. I don't think they should be used in Rush-Hour with the exception on #64 and #69. FG's Optimas should be only used on the weekends and early morning/late night. They're not used on weekends, which I think is stupid.

B)

I saw 535 on 151 Run 369

Runs 369 and 370 are the N201 owl runs. Run 369 does a round trip on Sheridan before heading over to the 201, and 370 does a trip on 36.

Run 369 is designated for a 40-foot bus, because of its trip on the 151 (it probably wouldn't be crushed with an Optima, but the average load for that trip was still high enough that it was given a 40-footer). Run 370 was designated for an Optima, because, on average, its max load didn't exceed the seated capacity of the Optima for its one round-trip on the 36 late at night.

That said, North Park generally does whatever the hell it wants, and ignores the assigned vehicle types on the runs.

Runs 369 and 370 are the N201 owl runs. Run 369 does a round trip on Sheridan before heading over to the 201, and 370 does a trip on 36.

Run 369 is designated for a 40-foot bus, because of its trip on the 151 (it probably wouldn't be crushed with an Optima, but the average load for that trip was still high enough that it was given a 40-footer). Run 370 was designated for an Optima, because, on average, its max load didn't exceed the seated capacity of the Optima for its one round-trip on the 36 late at night.

That said, North Park generally does whatever the hell it wants, and ignores the assigned vehicle types on the runs.

I had 520 on the 81W last week, and let me say the bus was not that great. The brakes were very jerky, and when I had tried to place the bus back in gear to depart east from the Cumberland Blue Line Station, the bus refused to go in gear. I ended up having to shut the bus off and restart it, resulting in me leaving almost 3-4 minutes late.

Arrrgh! :angry: :angry:

I had 520 on the 81W last week, and let me say the bus was not that great. The brakes were very jerky, and when I had tried to place the bus back in gear to depart east from the Cumberland Blue Line Station, the bus refused to go in gear. I ended up having to shut the bus off and restart it, resulting in me leaving almost 3-4 minutes late.

Arrrgh! :angry::angry:

#520 must have bad problems because yesterday I saw it sitting out of service with the engine door open on Milwaukee over the Kennedy Expressway, and to prove i'm not lying, there was a CTA tow truck infront of it.

#520 must have bad problems because yesterday I saw it sitting out of service with the engine door open on Milwaukee over the Kennedy Expressway, and to prove i'm not lying, there was a CTA tow truck infront of it.

oh trust me i believe you i had that bus before about 4 months ago on the 56A and had the exact same problem. I was at Imlay terminal and funny part is the control center instructed me to jump with my follower, which was impossible because anyone following me would be going to Devon/Avondale for the rush trips. So, I got stuck there for about 30 minutes and they brought me a Nova.

Point of the story...same problem occurred

Last Friday evening, I've seen a Optima Opus bus on Route 29 State Southbound leaving 69th/Red Line. So does 77th got some of those Optima Opus bus now? Not sure which bus number it was though.

Are you SURE it was #29 State it was operating on? It might have been on of those 103rd street routes (not sure which 103rd routes operate out of there). So far, 103rd, Forest Glen, and North Park have the Optimas, not 77th.

I've been seeing on here that most of North Park's Optimas are being put on #151 Sheridan. What in the world is the management over at North Park thinking when assigning OPTIMAS to #151 Sheridan? They must be out of their minds! I have to check this out for myself.

Its most likely a case of having an Optima sitting at the schedule booth at a time when an operator is due to pull out of the garage on his/her run. Having an operator sitting waiting for a regular bus is non productive. Even though the run might call for a regular bus when it gets down to "crunch time" making schedule, any available bus has to roll on the street.

This is kinda OT here, but I boarded my first Optima today. I had to do a little running to catch it, but I finally did. Bus#534 on #11 this morning. I saw another going south as we were going north. I think Lincoln may be getting ready to use these on at least Sundays on #11. The ride was smooth and quick and the brakes sounded very weird, almost like a school buses' the way they hissed and made this squeaky noise during release(I think it's called a "spit", but I'm not sure).

Are you SURE it was #29 State it was operating on? It might have been on of those 103rd street routes (not sure which 103rd routes operate out of there). So far, 103rd, Forest Glen, and North Park have the Optimas, not 77th.

Thats what it said, or maybe 77th is using that bus for test, I believe that bus was from 103rd though. But its pretty funny that a 30 foot bus was on 29-State route.

I've been seeing on here that most of North Park's Optimas are being put on #151 Sheridan. What in the world is the management over at North Park thinking when assigning OPTIMAS to #151 Sheridan? They must be out of their minds! I have to check this out for myself.

Yeah that is funny that a 30-foot small town lookin bus was running on the CTA's busiest route (151 Sheridan), Now thats outragous! Why can they just trade some of those Optimas for Pace buses like Orion VIs.

Why can they just trade some of those Optimas for Pace buses like Orion VIs.
Because they are separate organizations that do separate procurement with separate specifications. Orion VIs don't meet the Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines followed by CTA. Maybe you want to write your legislators and ask them to merge procurement activities in the RTA as part of the bill they are not passing. Other than that, Pace would have to offer them for sale and CTA would have to buy them (as happened with the 4915s). Pace certainly doesn't need the Optimas in return; they have plenty of EZ Riders (especially if the contingency plan goes into effect). Our friend in South Division certainly doesn't want them.

Also, as correctly noted in Tribune Mess Up, 151 is not the CTA's busiest route, it is 11th.

As an aside, I saw Saturday that Hammond was running one of the old Thomases instead of an Optima; maybe it needs one, but not the other 44.

B)

Thats what it said, or maybe 77th is using that bus for test, I believe that bus was from 103rd though. But its pretty funny that a 30 foot bus was on 29-State route.

That might have been a N5 route if you saw an Opus near 69th/State. Its possible that N5 use those buses @night.