What's left for #4400's TMC's

BusHunter

Another bus for the unretired list. #4404 was out on the #2 yesterday. It passed right in front of me so I'm positive it was the bus. With South Shops so close to 77th, it wouldn't be too much of a leap to grab a bus from the pool of buses recently retired especially if you needed it and everything else had worse problems. I don't know if that will be it's last sighting. I suppose now every 1991 sighting could potentially be the last. BTW, for the first time I couldn't locate a #5800. I'm pretty sure their down to the last 5 or under.

Another bus for the unretired list. #4404 was out on the #2 yesterday. It passed right in front of me so I'm positive it was the bus. With South Shops so close to 77th, it wouldn't be too much of a leap to grab a bus from the pool of buses recently retired especially if you needed it and everything else had worse problems. I don't know if that will be it's last sighting. I suppose now every 1991 sighting could potentially be the last. BTW, for the first time I couldn't locate a #5800. I'm pretty sure their down to the last 5 or under.

If anyone has a copy of the 1990 CTA calendar, check out a brand new freshly minted TMC #4404 in front of the old Comiskey Park.

:( Very Very Sad for 4400s

They just retired one of my faves from 103rd: 4761, it brung me back memories from last Fall 2007 Shooting of a Julian HS Student.

Qwantae, youre a good guy, I always agree on what you write here but with regards to bus #4761, Id rather see that bus retired and forgotten considering what happened on that bus. I met the mother of Blair Holt, Annette, I never met Blair, Annette is a CFD Fire Lt. Back when I was attending the CFD Academy she volunteered her time off to help us with our EMS training. She was tough minded, disciplined and very, very helpful, she wouldnt leave anyone behind, she really wanted all of us to graduate the CFD Academy, she is very dedicated and I have nothing but admiration for her. I probably wouldnt have reached my goal if it wasant for her. And to see a tragedy like this happen to this family is beyond words, any loss of a human life is a tragedy. So if its all the same to you Qwantae, I wish for CTA bus #4761 to be retired and forgotten. Im not trying to sound like a jerk about it. We here on this blog all have our favorite buses but for me #4761 cant be one of them. Please dont take it the wrong way. I can only imagine what the parents of Blair Holt feel when they see a CTA bus traveling down 103rd st.

If anyone has a copy of the 1990 CTA calendar, check out a brand new freshly minted TMC #4404 in front of the old Comiskey Park.

It also appears in the Golden Anniversary 1947 - 1997 historical highlights pamplet that was passed out at the Loop "L" centennial at Quincy/Wells in 1997. It's pictured in front of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra building on Michigan/Adams. Also pictured are #5819 and #4007 the americana.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told it is only 6 left, has anyone seen any 4400 lately? I'm going to find one at least on busy 77th routes, but I think most of them could be on #24. And I'll grab as many pictures of them. This is sad. And it is still like 8 of others still sitting outside of 103rd garage where the buses enters in as Busfan4022 mentioned last week, I drove pass there everyday. Other thing, I did seen an unknown 4900 with back window sitting inside of 77th Garage building parked, I guess its still active as a "Work bus".:(

I was told it is only 6 left, has anyone seen any 4400 lately? I'm going to find one at least on busy 77th routes, but I think most of them could be on #24. And I'll grab as many pictures of them. This is sad. And it is still like 8 of others still sitting outside of 103rd garage where the buses enters in as Busfan4022 mentioned last week, I drove pass there everyday. Other thing, I did seen an unknown 4900 with back window sitting inside of 77th Garage building parked, I guess its still active as a "Work bus".:(

You think this thread may close with no more TMCs soon?

You think this thread may close with no more TMCs soon?

Someone should announce here the "last" 4400, 5300 and 5800.

One might assume that the "last" will probably be around the 12/28 pick (good time to get rid of the 3 track buses).

However, an isolated one may stay around for a bit. I remember seeing a big green 5700 on Broadway, long after the New Look 7400s arrived.

In any event, the end is coming. :o REPENT! Or be converted into rubberized roofing shingles! :P

Someone should announce here the "last" 4400, 5300 and 5800.

One might assume that the "last" will probably be around the 12/28 pick (good time to get rid of the 3 track buses).

However, an isolated one may stay around for a bit. I remember seeing a big green 5700 on Broadway, long after the New Look 7400s arrived.

In any event, the end is coming. :o REPENT! Or be converted into rubberized roofing shingles! :P

I still remember the day I saw the first Chicago TMC in 1989, #4400 on the #22 Clark. I was hanging out one friday night with some friends at a pool room at Clark and Roscoe near Wrigley Field and I looked out the window and I see a brand new, shiny #4400 heading south on Clark. I never forgot it because being a big fan of the RTS, I remember I was so excited that Chicago was finally getting RTSs. Unfortunately with anticipation of the TMCs, just a few months later I left for the Navy so I had to move to California. The first time I spotted the Flx 5300s was when FG got theirs, 5400/5500/5600s. I have a pic that I took of my dad taken in 1993 at Belmont and Cumberland with #5487. Then I have a video I took in 1995 of my dad driving TMC #4703 on the 80 Irving Pk. Makes you glad for video and photo cameras. When I got hired by CTA in 1997 my first Flxible in training at Chicago ave. was #5485 and I got so excited when Kedzie instruction informed us we were getting TMCs. I had always wanted to get the chance to drive the RTS and I got a bonus!, my favorite Flyer,#9844. That bus did not have the Cummins in it, by then it was requipped with the Detroit 6V92 Diesel like the rest of the Flyer fleet. My first TMC was #4485 on the #37 Sedgwick when they arrived at Kedzie in 98. I was so excited when I finally got to drive it out of the garage. Also, for me being at a NW side garage, having the rare opportunity to drive of course one of the Flxible/Cummins #5750. And now the end is near for both bus fleets. They have been such a fixture in Chicago for many years and they will be missed. Well at the very least the Flxibles 6000s will continue. I never did get a chance to drive one of the 6300 Cummins. The RTS and Flxible Metros are noticeably becoming few and far from many cities. New York City is probably the only city left that still runs a huge fleet of RTSs. Los Angeles MTA once had a huge RTS fleet back in the RTD days, but there too they are becoming rare. Our TMCs and Flxibles have served us well. The New Flyers are the kings in Chicago now.

Yeah all three bus types were out there as of yesterday. TMC sightings? #4774 was on the #3 two days ago. #4592 appears almost every day. Sounds like it's the strongest of what remains. #4579 shows up here and there. That's all I saw since the #4404 sighting on here. Best route to find one #2, #24, or #3. One will always appear there, for now. I had a treat two days ago when I rode #5448 on the #76. Sightings are becoming increasingly rare. The tranny wines on that one when it coasts. Poor thing it's almost lights out for them. #1446 was on the #20 yesterday. This indicates a final influx of #1000's are making there way from 103rd. If were lucky maybe a half a dozen will remain for one more push. On the #5800's beat, #5837 was out two days ago on the #151 of all places. Other recent #5800's that I've seen have been #5816, #5820, #5834, #5843, and #5845. These I believe are the last six. One day last week four were on the #144 at the same time. There is something I've heard about through other channels. A #5800 may be appearing as a fire dept. bus. Could ex #4908 be retiring?

A #5800 may be appearing as a fire dept. bus. Could ex #4908 be retiring?

A New Flyer in all over white was at the Chicago Fire House last week. I have not seen it since (or 4908), however during the winter the CFD bus is garaged elsewhere. I pass the Fire House every day on the way to work on the 38.

Where is the firehouse you see the bus at? Ill try to find out.

Only 3 TMC's left in the active fleet - better ride them while you can. I bet they'll all be retired by the end of the week.

As of today The TMC's are all retired. If you are interested the last three were the ones I reported the other day #4579, #4592 and #4774. I guess I got my answer to which of the three bus types would retire first. There should be 5 #5800's left and 13 #5300's left.

As of today The TMC's are all retired. If you are interested the last three were the ones I reported the other day #4579, #4592 and #4774. I guess I got my answer to which of the three bus types would retire first. There should be 5 #5800's left and 13 #5300's left.
Lending some credence to my prediction that a 5300 will outlast the other two series. But we probably will know in a week. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had previously made the comment that while someone might want an old Pace bus, certainly not the case for a CTA one. I guess times have changed. :o

Note also the mention in the article that some had nearly new engines. I wonder how new is nearly new, but this brings back my point about 5800s with 6 or 7 year old engines. Going with Circle 7's point, I wonder if any of those were under consideration.

Update: Ray LaHood, the incoming Secretary of Transportation, was the congressman from Peoria. It appears that he couldn't get it done for the local transit authority.

I'm kind of surprised the buses were for sale at all. I thought that CTA frowned on the sale of their used buses. At least they didn't cut the lines, it would be hard to make it to Peoria!! :P Any chances of any showing up at CHBM? $800 bucks is not bad for a used bus that works.

Quote from Kevin's link....

"Eight of the 10 buses have relatively new diesel engines."

Are we really talking about TMC's? The TMC's we had, at least as far as I know had rehabbed engines & transmissions in 2001-2002, but not brand new diesel engines & transmissions.

@ BusHunter: Sure, after the CTA gets the bus back to "prep" it for CHBM(i.e cut all the lines and seize that motor) ;)

I had previously made the comment that while someone might want an old Pace bus, certainly not the case for a CTA one. I guess times have changed. :o

Note also the mention in the article that some had nearly new engines. I wonder how new is nearly new, but this brings back my point about 5800s with 6 or 7 year old engines. Going with Circle 7's point, I wonder if any of those were under consideration.

Update: Ray LaHood, the incoming Secretary of Transportation, was the congressman from Peoria. It appears that he couldn't get it done for the local transit authority.

I think Peoria took into consideration, that the CTA buses can be used as parts buses and be integrated with their current TMC fleet. However, their TMCs are 35ft RTS-06 models, not 40ft RTS-08 models like the CTA's.

The TMCs even made it to Peoria on their own power! I gotta make a roadtrip to Peoria in the Spring! B)

Its nice to see a few TMCs live on! :)