The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

38 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

The 50/50 spilt would be the most ideal but looking at the rosters for both garages, you begin to see a dropoff of some sorts between the two. FG has oldest #1000s but they have nearly every number series of #1000s besides the #1800 & #2000s at there disposal along with some of the newer 8200-8324s and 8340s. Not saying that matters entirely but it should play a factor. On the flipside 103rd hasn't really recieved much of anything outside of the 8325s, I'm not saying FG doesn't deserve a brand new fleet first but 103rd isn't to far behind for getting close to getting it. Either way one or the other will receive the first two options for sure I think we all can agree with that. 

Shhh ? don’t say that too loud or the NW siders will revolt no but seriously 103rd AND Fg would be the best place to keep older equipment due to the larger number of feeders and routes that stay close to the area. Anywhere else they get worn out unless 74th gets relief to better maintain a spare ratio allowing them to keep old equipment on the rt 59 block since those stay by midway 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

The 50/50 spilt would be the most ideal but looking at the rosters for both garages, you begin to see a dropoff of some sorts between the two. FG has oldest #1000s but they have nearly every number series of #1000s besides the #1800 & #2000s at there disposal along with some of the newer 8200-8324s and 8340s. Not saying that matters entirely but it should play a factor. On the flipside 103rd hasn't really recieved much of anything outside of the 8325s, I'm not saying FG doesn't deserve a brand new fleet first but 103rd isn't to far behind for getting close to getting it. Either way one or the other will receive the first two options for sure I think we all can agree with that. 

Yea that a be cool only if it happens but in real life 7 the golden child gone get the first of the new novas while they dump all of their novas off on other garages 

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

#1016 has a whole different transmission but idk i like it lmao i forgot who else has the same transmission 

but another note it wouldn’t be bad for CTA to give their flyers a 2nd overhaul majority of their fleet is new flyer’s that’s if they wanted to these flyers still out here rolling on the streets looking brand new 

Ive heard that they will give them a second rehab when the new Novas start replacing them, I think retirement will be similar to the 6000s the non rehabbed buses get retired and the rehabbed ones remain in service. #1016 also sounds like #1930 and up with that transmission setup???

9 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Its been like 7 years since they started getting rehabbed cuz they started in like late 14 early 15 as the 7900's was rollijg out but its time for the 7900's to get rehabbed 

I hope they do rehab the 7900s, retrofitting the windows on those into the ones the 8325s and the 8350s have will be a good fit for better AC on those buses. 

36 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Oh lol, hopefully it doesn’t hurt our eyes a bit.

I don't know why CTA, Pace,  and Metra seem to have a disdain for tinted windows.   At least Pace's suburban Axxess, MCI coaches, and now their New Flyer Xcelsiors have tinted windows.  

I rode 7939 today and to my eyes they appeared tinted from the outside,  but inside I could clearly see the windows aren't tinted.  Hopefully the 8350s have tinted windows.

Metra trains had tinted windows and they replaced them with untainted windows.  Hopefully when they new gallery cars come, the tints will return.

15 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know why CTA, Pace,  and Metra seem to have a disdain for tinted windows.   At least Pace's suburban Axxess, MCI coaches, and now their New Flyer Xcelsiors have tinted windows.  

I rode 7939 today and to my eyes they appeared tinted from the outside,  but inside I could clearly see the windows aren't tinted.  Hopefully the 8350s have tinted windows.

Metra trains had tinted windows and they replaced them with untainted windows.  Hopefully when they new gallery cars come, the tints will return.

#8350 is confirmed to have tinted windows if you wanna see go look in the 8350’s forum and compare it to 8325’s but i’m glad CTA stuck to tintied windows i rode #8343 today and before that i rode #8323 it was a major difference 

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Tbh the #7900s gon look kinda good with tinted windows if CTA rehabs them, the #8350s have tinted windows too just like the #8325s from what I saw on #8350 they should tint the drivers side window on #8350 to make it look more beautiful I kinda enjoy the green untainted windows on the Metra trains when I rode them 3-5 years ago and I did hear about the new Metra rail cars that will soon come I pray they will have tinted windows. I wish CTA went with New Flyer because we would had similar models at the same time with PACE  and since they deliver buses quicker than Nova and I would love to see some tinted window New Flyers.??

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I just need Metra to get rid of that god awful green tint and/or window. Worst viewing experience on any commuter rail or public transit system that I've been on, ever. 

Also, I've noticed that the windows are tinted when the agency decides to do frameless windows instead of framed. Maybe that makes a difference?

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I just need Metra to get rid of that god awful green tint and/or window. Worst viewing experience on any commuter rail or public transit system that I've been on, ever. 

Also, I've noticed that the windows are tinted when the agency decides to do frameless windows instead of framed. Maybe that makes a difference?

Back in the day  Greyhound MC8s and some MC9s along with Trailways Eagle Model 5s came standard with green tinted windows.  Then as the ,80s came, the gray tints became more popular and the green tints disappeared  except from the Metra trains.  Even the South Shore trains have gray tints.  But any tints is better than none at all. 

The frameless windows indeed come tinted.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, NovaBusFan said:

I hope they do rehab the 7900s, retrofitting the windows on those into the ones the 8325s and the 8350s have will be a good fit for better AC on those buses. 

I agree but to make em look even better they need to tint the drivers window instead of it looking like a nice tacky bus