The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

Just now, NovaBusFan said:

1202 broke down at 92nd & State near 95th where the Red Line is. These Flyers are starting to pass out.

These buses are 15 years old.   They are being ran like they are still new.  If CTA can get the money, they probably need to exercise an option or two for the new Novas ASAP.   We know the 6400s are on their last legs at 20 years old.

25 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

1202 broke down at 92nd & State near 95th where the Red Line is. These Flyers are starting to pass out.

damn that the second time this year someone seen that bus broken down I seen it on the tracker broken in March. They 15 years old now so yeah brakdowns starting to happen more

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

damn that the second time this year someone seen that bus broken down I seen it on the tracker broken in March. They 15 years old now so yeah brakdowns starting to happen more

True the older the equipment the more problems they will have, just like #1245 which died from a mechanical failure when they were 14 years old last year.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

These buses are 15 years old.   They are being ran like they are still new.  If CTA can get the money, they probably need to exercise an option or two for the new Novas ASAP.   We know the 6400s are on their last legs at 20 years old.

True the oldest of the 6400-series 2000 and 2001 models were knocked off when they were going on 14-15 years old in early 2015 when the 7900s and 8000s and 8100s came in and starting with the retirement of most of the 2002 Novas in 2016 when the 8200s and 8300s came and covered the spot where the previous 6400s were retired years ago and now that they are 21 years old the new Novas should be here soon to walk grandma home since she is on her last legs. The 15 year old D40LFs need to seek medical attention before it’s too late as well I also hope CTA gets the green light to get the money to exercise the options of 600 buses for the new Novas to come and help the grandpa Flyers that are in the worse shape?

34 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

The 15 year old D40LFs need to seek medical attention before it’s too late as well I also hope CTA gets the green light to get the money to exercise the options of 600 buses for the new Novas to come and help the grandpa Flyers that are in the worse shape?

They have the money. They just don't want the budget cuts again. Companies always act like they broke

1 hour ago, NovaBusFan said:

True the oldest of the 6400-series 2000 and 2001 models were knocked off when they were going on 14-15 years old in early 2015 when the 7900s and 8000s and 8100s came in and starting with the retirement of most of the 2002 Novas in 2016 when the 8200s and 8300s came and covered the spot where the previous 6400s were retired years ago and now that they are 21 years old the new Novas should be here soon to walk grandma home since she is on her last legs. The 15 year old D40LFs need to seek medical attention before it’s too late as well I also hope CTA gets the green light to get the money to exercise the options of 600 buses for the new Novas to come and help the grandpa Flyers that are in the worse shape?

The novas was knocked off in random batched cuz it was still 2000-01 novas still running the streets in 17-18 some even in 19 they was retired by the worst shape & if 1 blew a motor or trans

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The novas was knocked off in random batched cuz it was still 2000-01 novas still running the streets in 17-18 some even in 19 they was retired by the worst shape & if 1 blew a motor or trans

Yeah they had kept 8 of the 2000 models in the 64XX’s, buses 6466 and up. 6472 was retired in 2017 and became the community bus so that left us down to 7.

The remaining 64XX’s was retired in early 2019 due to a delivery of the 8325s and they should of knocked off #6684, #6699 and #6710 in early 2019 because those three had issues with the transmission shifts on three of those buses lol. #6699 also had a suspension issue, and was also a 2000 model and I thought it was a 2001 model at first.

1 minute ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah they had kept 8 buses in the 64XX’s, buses 6466 and up. 6472 was retired in 2017 and became the community bus so that left us down to 7.

The remaining 64XX’s was retired in early 2019 due to a delivery of the 8325s and they should of knocked off #6684, #6699 and #6710 because those three had issues with the transmission shifts on three of those buses lol.

Ye those should be done if their transmission is bad just wish I could've rode 6684 in January

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Whatever CTA does feel like doing in the next year or so all depends on the first 100 #8350s getting delivered and entering service. We've seen FG survive this far without any major hiccups after semi retiring the rest of the 6400s they had and for what its worth the oldest #1000s they do have will become the newest 6400s as far as usage goes. 103rd will probably get the go ahead for the first option of 100, I've seen a lot more 1100s as of late popping up at SS and in the boneyard. Added with that they've been getting loaned equipment a lot more frequently in recent months and now they've gone to a last resort in reactivating some of the 6400s they have on deck. What's even more surprising is there situation seems so bad that they borrowed 6400s from FG aka 6882 and probably more that we dont know about. 

9 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Whatever CTA does feel like doing in the next year or so all depends on the first 100 #8350s getting delivered and entering service. We've seen FG survive this far without any major hiccups after semi retiring the rest of the 6400s they had and for what its worth the oldest #1000s they do have will become the newest 6400s as far as usage goes. 103rd will probably get the go ahead for the first option of 100, I've seen a lot more 1100s as of late popping up at SS and in the boneyard. Added with that they've been getting loaned equipment a more frequently in recent months and now they've gone to a last resort in reactivating some of 6400s they have on deck. What's even more surprising is there situation seems so bad that they borrowed 6400s from FG aka 6882 and probably more that we dont know about. 

Will bus ops need training or no

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Whatever CTA does feel like doing in the next year or so all depends on the first 100 #8350s getting delivered and entering service. We've seen FG survive this far without any major hiccups after semi retiring the rest of the 6400s they had and for what its worth the oldest #1000s they do have will become the newest 6400s as far as usage goes. 103rd will probably get the go ahead for the first option of 100, I've seen a lot more 1100s as of late popping up at SS and in the boneyard. Added with that they've been getting loaned equipment a more frequently in recent months and now they've gone to a last resort in reactivating some of 6400s they have on deck. What's even more surprising is there situation seems so bad that they borrowed 6400s from FG aka 6882 and probably more that we dont know about. 

My initial thoughts were a 50/50 split between FG and 103rd, but based on what you are saying,  we may not see all of the 6400s retired after the first 100 8350s are delivered.  It seems like a simultaneous 6400s and 1000s  retirement may happen  with some 6400s surviving at least until the first and possible 2nd option deliveries start.  If 103rd received all 100 8350s, FG still has to get something until the first option gets exercised and delivered. 

2 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah they had kept 8 of the 2000 models in the 64XX’s, buses 6466 and up. 6472 was retired in 2017 and became the community bus so that left us down to 7.

The remaining 64XX’s was retired in early 2019 due to a delivery of the 8325s and they should of knocked off #6684, #6699 and #6710 in early 2019 because those three had issues with the transmission shifts on three of those buses lol. #6699 also had a suspension issue, and was also a 2000 model and I thought it was a 2001 model at first.

Yea which 6710 I think is still up for service 99 just got retired due to the suspension so yea some should have been knocked off early

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea which 6710 I think is still up for service 99 just got retired due to the suspension so yea some should have been knocked off early

Yeah regardless of them being pulled OOS because of the fire on #6860. Some are most likely to end up seeing retirement if I was in charge of CTA I would checked the ones that have messed up transmission gears that I want to retire and keep the ones that sounded like they are brand new. I forgot to mention that #6854 had a messed up transmission in 2019 when Jaylin rode it on the 85, they probably fixed it by now. Same thing goes for the D40LFs when their retirement begins I would retire or take #1016, #1307 and #1600 OOS because they also have messed up transmission gears along with the rest of the older ones that is in the worst shape.

54 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah regardless of them being pulled OOS because of the fire on #6860. Some are most likely to end up seeing retirement if I was in charge of CTA I would checked the ones that have messed up transmission gears that I want to retire and keep the ones that sounded like they are brand new. I forgot to mention that #6854 had a messed up transmission in 2019 when Jaylin rode it on the 85, they probably fixed it by now. Same thing goes for the D40LFs when their retirement begins I would retire or take #1016, #1307 and #1600 OOS because they also have messed up transmission gears along with the rest of the older ones that is in the worst shape.

Yea I remember 6854 & 1016 but yea they need to inspect the novas & put the ones thats still good back in service

1 hour ago, NovaBusFan said:

#1016 has a whole different transmission but idk i like it lmao i forgot who else has the same transmission 

but another note it wouldn’t be bad for CTA to give their flyers a 2nd overhaul majority of their fleet is new flyer’s that’s if they wanted to these flyers still out here rolling on the streets looking brand new 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

#1016 has a whole different transmission but idk i like it lmao i forgot who else has the same transmission 

but another note it wouldn’t be bad for CTA to give their flyers a 2nd overhaul majority of their fleet is new flyer’s that’s if they wanted to these flyers still out here rolling on the streets looking brand new 

Its been like 7 years since they started getting rehabbed cuz they started in like late 14 early 15 as the 7900's was rollijg out but its time for the 7900's to get rehabbed 

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My initial thoughts were a 50/50 split between FG and 103rd, but based on what you are saying,  we may not see all of the 6400s retired after the first 100 8350s are delivered.  It seems like a simultaneous 6400s and 1000s  retirement may happen  with some 6400s surviving at least until the first and possible 2nd option deliveries start.  If 103rd received all 100 8350s, FG still has to get something until the first option gets exercised and delivered. 

The 50/50 spilt would be the most ideal but looking at the rosters for both garages, you begin to see a dropoff of some sorts between the two. FG has oldest #1000s but they have nearly every number series of #1000s besides the #1800 & #2000s at there disposal along with some of the newer 8200-8324s and 8340s. Not saying that matters entirely but it should play a factor. On the flipside 103rd hasn't really recieved much of anything outside of the 8325s, I'm not saying FG doesn't deserve a brand new fleet first but 103rd isn't to far behind for getting close to getting it. Either way one or the other will receive the first two options for sure I think we all can agree with that.