The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

8 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Damn, I’m not that much of a big fan of the 7900s really, I like the 6400s a lot better even tho they are tired and ready to retire off going on soon to 22 years as soon as the next batch of Novas come in 2022 I hope they will be a bit better than the 7900s because the 8325s are better lol. But I still gotta love the Novas I’ve enjoyed so far.

The new novas should be alot like the #8325s. Coming in spring, which is not far off. Maybe even by January. I remember the #6400s came in right before the chill of winter. I think they did say a couple prototypes may be heading here for the fall. So keep your eyes peeled for a new bus. 

Seeing the #7900s pic on a wrecker, makes me wonder how durable a bus that is. You dont teally see that many on wreckers. Maybe cta is buying more for that reason. If they are doing well at 77th the sky is the limit. Delivery will probably be slow 150 per year. NF could have done 300. Maybe spreading out a few #7900s ain't a bad idea. It could take the strain off older buses working hard. If NP got any they would probably have to train the personnel cause they have barely seen a nova bus. 

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The new novas should be alot like the #8325s. Coming in spring, which is not far off. Maybe even by January. I remember the #6400s came in right before the chill of winter. I think they did say a couple prototypes may be heading here for the fall. So keep your eyes peeled for a new bus. 

Seeing the #7900s pic on a wrecker, makes me wonder how durable a bus that is. You dont teally see that many on wreckers. Maybe cta is buying more for that reason. If they are doing well at 77th the sky is the limit. Delivery will probably be slow 150 per year. NF could have done 300. Maybe spreading out a few #7900s ain't a bad idea. It could take the strain off older buses working hard. If NP got any they would probably have to train the personnel cause they have barely seen a nova bus. 

I think that’s what they are doing right now and prepping cause novas are Nearly at every garage except NP. If they wanted to they could try and keep NFs as they get too aged out on local feeder service and let Novas do the grunt work. If artic garages can have specific runs for artics why can’t all garages put a little effort to actively keep the fleet young? 

Just now, Sam92 said:

I think that’s what they are doing right now and prepping cause novas are Nearly at every garage except NP. If they wanted to they could try and keep NFs as they get too aged out on local feeder service and let Novas do the grunt work. If artic garages can have specific runs for artics why can’t all garages put a little effort to actively keep the fleet young? 

Like if safety and sneeze guards weren’t such a big deal I’d make 103rd and FG all flyer since 40ft ate 103rd aren’t working too hard outside of 26, 29 and 71

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I did hear that the new buses will be similar to the 8325s, they’ll probably have two pilot buses just like #7900 and #7901 when they first came in 2014. I have a feeling they will come with really no hopper windows or rear windows and the new nova front where the drivers side window is. I’ll definitely will be on the hunt for the prototypes when they arrive at SS this fall and the delivery of the first 100 buses of the base order is completed. New Flyer does do a speedy delivery of buses and Nova does a slow pace on bus deliveries. It is still determined if they’ll start either at #8350 or #8400. I hope they do start fresh at #8400 since there is 600 being ordered if they do start at #8350 this will be the second time CTA has ever picked up the same bus number for the continuing series of buses where the 8325s left off then they will stop at #8950, if they start at #8400 then they will continue until #9000 arrives not only that, that is also the largest Nova contract the CTA has ever ordered and is also the second largest contract of buses behind the D40LFs from 2006-2009.

6 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah I did hear that the new buses will be similar to the 8325s, they’ll probably have two pilot buses just like #7900 and #7901 when they first came in 2014. I have a feeling they will come with really no hopper windows or rear windows and the new nova front where the drivers side window is. I’ll definitely will be on the hunt for the prototypes when they arrive at SS this fall and the delivery of the first 100 buses of the base order is completed. New Flyer does do a speedy delivery of buses and Nova does a slow pace on bus deliveries. It is still determined if they’ll start either at #8350 or #8400. I hope they do start fresh at #8400 since there is 600 being ordered if they do start at #8350 this will be the second time CTA has ever picked up the same bus number for the continuing series of buses where the 8325s left off then they will stop at #8950, if they start at #8400 then they will continue until #9000 arrives not only that, that is also the largest Nova contract the CTA has ever ordered and is also the second largest contract of buses behind the D40LFs from 2006-2009.

I still think cta should have went with New flyer

7 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

I dont see any other bus orders on the horizon except for electrics. I wish we could see some Nova electrics. This Proterra taboo out in philly just might be the thing that makes that possible. CTA got stuck with NABIs before, I'm sure they dont want a repeat performance. That's why the proterras are out of service for the most part. If something is discovered I wonder what happens to the 8 buses they have? I see 600 Novas coming here unless they really do something to botch the order. But Nova seems to be sailing under blue skies here. I hope the next big order will be from NF. You never know this Nova order might be so slow we might get Novas and NF reminiscent of the tmc's and flx in the 90s. That's one way to transform your fleet in a hurry. If the biden transportation bill happens we should see that happening in the future along with a red line extension. 

10 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Could be they want to spread the #7900s, so most garages will have those and the new buses. It will be hard to spread 600 among all garages. But if you do 50 or 75 a piece it's possible. A smart manager would put the #1000s that are left as the extras or m-f rush buses. They could also give them to fg but fg being all nf may be a hard sell to the rest of the city. Depends how high the garage bosses are on the Novas. 

I dont see any other bus orders on the horizon except for electrics. I wish we could see some Nova electrics. This Proterra taboo out in philly just might be the thing that makes that possible. CTA got stuck with NABIs before, I'm sure they dont want a repeat performance. That's why the proterras are out of service for the most part. If something is discovered I wonder what happens to the 8 buses they have? I see 600 Novas coming here unless they really do something to botch the order. But Nova seems to be sailing under blue skies here. I hope the next big order will be from NF. You never know this Nova order might be so slow we might get Novas and NF reminiscent of the tmc's and flx in the 90s. That's one way to transform your fleet in a hurry. If the biden transportation bill happens we should see that happening in the future along with a red line extension. 

Nova electrics sound so damn good?, I’m not that much of a fan of electric buses like proterra. I do hope CTA gets Nova electrics sometime in the near future, that would officially be a epic bus model for CTA. It would be kinda interesting to have the #7900s, #8325s and the new Novas at a garage at the same time, if 77th will most likely get the new Novas first then I have a feeling that they will soon start mailing their lower #7900s to another garage. I wouldn’t be shy if 103rd got any of the new Novas, besides the #8325s they have there, Nova is slightly gonna take a little while to deliver 600 buses by 2024 just like they took 4 years to add the 25 #8325s to the 425 #7900s that we have now that is 450 Novas total. If u add 450 plus 600 that gives us 1,050 Novas LOL, that reminds me of the 1,030 D40LFs plus the 20 DE40LFs that’s the Same amount 1,050 New Flyers vs. the 1,050 Novas. I do hope New Flyer gets a chance to cut the cake on the next bus order after the new Novas since they be quicker to deliver buses in no time.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Could be they want to spread the #7900s, so most garages will have those and the new buses. It will be hard to spread 600 among all garages. But if you do 50 or 75 a piece it's possible. A smart manager would put the #1000s that are left as the extras or m-f rush buses. They could also give them to fg but fg being all nf may be a hard sell to the rest of the city. Depends how high the garage bosses are on the Novas. 

If anything the lower #7900s are in need of some new life at a different garage with less of a workload maybe like 103rd for instance. I would prefer 77th get more #1000s over the next few years to compensate for the loss because with SS being next door it would be smart to take whatever is left of them and let them ride off into the sunset. The lower #7900s are as raggedy and bent out of shape than most of our #1000s we currently have right now and that's never a good sign especially if they're not any plans for them to get rehabbed, duct tape and chains can only take you so far. FG is the last place that needs anymore old equipment shipped on them.

19 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

If anything the lower #7900s are in need of some new life at a different garage with less of a workload maybe like 103rd for instance. I would prefer 77th get more #1000s over the next few years to compensate for the loss because with SS being next door it would be smart to take whatever is left of them and let them ride off into the sunset. The lower #7900s are as raggedy and bent out of shape than most of our #1000s we currently have right now and that's never a good sign especially if they're not any plans for them to get rehabbed, duct tape and chains can only take you so far. FG is the last place that needs anymore old equipment shipped on them.

Agreed.

9 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

If you divided the 77th #7900s in half and gave each non 77th garage approx 50 #7900s they would get fixed faster. Send a equal number of 8200s 77th's way that would ease the aging and high miles. But it's probably only fair who ever got stuck with the 77th 7900s would definitely get new buses. I see the 8325s headed to the glen. Probably the glen if it got newer buses would probably have to offset 25 buses for the 8325s. Like say if 77th got 75 #8400s, then fg would get 50. The #1000s are a tired bunch. Can the original 600 and keep the last 400. That could get you to 2008 vintage versus 2006. The chicago #1930s to 2029 have to be in pretty good shape. They have been riding the shirt tails of the 8100s for years. They need to build off those. Still though they need the last 400 1000s replaced so maybe nf can sneak in on the last 400. It would be cool if biden gave cta a bunch of funding maybe they could go out and buy 100 nova electrics that would be awesome. Even some 60 foot electric nfs. Just buying diesel is not moving toward the future. They claim most if not all cars will be electric by 2035. CTA I'm sure doesnt want to get in a situation with an antiquated fuel system. The thing nobody knows is as less gas fuel cars are on the street does the price of gas go higher? Because places like BP still have to make a profit. If they are not producing how do they maintain the profit? Raise prices. 

On 8/6/2021 at 8:44 PM, BusHunter said:

If you divided the 77th #7900s in half and gave each non 77th garage approx 50 #7900s they would get fixed faster. Send a equal number of 8200s 77th's way that would ease the aging and high miles. But it's probably only fair who ever got stuck with the 77th 7900s would definitely get new buses. I see the 8325s headed to the glen. Probably the glen if it got newer buses would probably have to offset 25 buses for the 8325s. Like say if 77th got 75 #8400s, then fg would get 50. The #1000s are a tired bunch. Can the original 600 and keep the last 400. That could get you to 2008 vintage versus 2006. The chicago #1930s to 2029 have to be in pretty good shape. They have been riding the shirt tails of the 8100s for years. They need to build off those. Still though they need the last 400 1000s replaced so maybe nf can sneak in on the last 400. It would be cool if biden gave cta a bunch of funding maybe they could go out and buy 100 nova electrics that would be awesome. Even some 60 foot electric nfs. Just buying diesel is not moving toward the future. They claim most if not all cars will be electric by 2035. CTA I'm sure doesnt want to get in a situation with an antiquated fuel system. The thing nobody knows is as less gas fuel cars are on the street does the price of gas go higher? Because places like BP still have to make a profit. If they are not producing how do they maintain the profit? Raise prices. 

I would say fg is gonna get a good amount of the #8400s to balance the loss of #6400s, and because they have a good amount of low #1000s which will most likely get retired first. And although the retirement of the #1000s is most likely years off from now it's still gonna happen, so they will either receive extra #8400s at delivery or be given some of 77th's #7900s. It makes sense to give them most of the #7900s since they don't put much ware on their buses as oppose to NP, K, or even 103rd which are garages that run their buses on LSD and the 290 a lot therefore putting a lot of miles and ware on their buses. I think fg will get stuck with most of 77th's #7900s for that reason, 77th and 103rd will get most of the #8400s, 103rd will send most if not all of their #8325s to fg or NP. It would be interesting to see NP get some of the #8400s but I don't know that they will, it makes more sense to give C some #8400s and then have C send some of their #4100s over to NP because NP routes get busier most of the time therefore they have more reason to have the #4100s. And lastly, K and 74th will get a few. There was every garage's situation with the #8400s the way I see it playing out.

7 minutes ago, TGP01 said:

I would say fg is gonna get a good amount of the #8400s to balance the loss of #6400s, and because they have a good amount of low #1000s which will most likely get retired first. And although the retirement of the #1000s is most likely years off from now it's still gonna happen, so they will either receive extra #8400s at delivery or be given some of 77th's #7900s. It makes sense to give them most of the #7900s since they don't put much ware on their buses as oppose to NP, K, or even 103rd which are garages that run their buses on LSD and the 290 a lot therefore putting a lot of miles and ware on their buses. I think fg will get stuck with most of 77th's #7900s for that reason, 77th and 103rd will get most of the #8400s, 103rd will send most if not all of their #8325s to fg or NP. It would be interesting to see NP get some of the #8400s but I don't know that they will, it makes more sense to give C some #8400s and then have C send some of their #4100s over to NP because NP routes get busier most of the time therefore they have more reason to have the #4100s. And lastly, K and 74th will get a few. There was every garage's situation with the #8400s the way I see it playing out.

I think FG need to get the new buses first they always get the best up buses 7 can get a few but they are cool fg needs the new buses first but we all know 7 is the golden child & fg is the stepchild

19 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I think FG need to get the new buses first they always get the best up buses 7 can get a few but they are cool fg needs the new buses first but we all know 7 is the golden child & fg is the stepchild

True. If they can get around sending fg 8400s they will. Just cause they have the 1000s dont mean anything. They might be running better than what 77th has for 1000s. It will be a mixed bag of buses. What's staying will be what's running and those problem buses will go away. 

Something that may be an issue very soon is that we are about to start full in person schooling unless something happens to change that which mean cta will need buses. They have lost a good chunk of 6400s about 40-50. That may be why buses in the #6600s have been in sight in the last few days. Without new buses cta needs them so it's either gonna be some novas coming back or unfilled school runs. Hopefully they have the operators to fill those. Everyone is short manpower. 

52 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

True. If they can get around sending fg 8400s they will. Just cause they have the 1000s dont mean anything. They might be running better than what 77th has for 1000s. It will be a mixed bag of buses. What's staying will be what's running and those problem buses will go away. 

Something that may be an issue very soon is that we are about to start full in person schooling unless something happens to change that which mean cta will need buses. They have lost a good chunk of 6400s about 40-50. That may be why buses in the #6600s have been in sight in the last few days. Without new buses cta needs them so it's either gonna be some novas coming back or unfilled school runs. Hopefully they have the operators to fill those. Everyone is short manpower. 

Best believe my chirping I've made about the remaining ones left inactive around the system for months now. The time has come for them to be used especially with the Fall pick coming. I'm glad to see them slowly come back because they're needed at this point.

Cat need to stop playing & put the 6400's back in service the ones the deem fit or service idk why only a few novas came back like at k we could use them or send them back to FG

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Best believe my chirping I've made about the remaining ones left inactive around the system for months now. The time has come for them to be used especially with the Fall pick coming. I'm glad to see them slowly come back because they're needed at this point.

I think they will which is why they are spread across the system rather than just at one garage.   They will probably run on an as needed basis.  I would expect that CTA should be prepping them for service soon. 

As for the new Novas,  who knows what CTA will do.   I would expect them to exercise at least one option to go with the base order, but we probably won't see these buses actually in service until next spring or summer at earliest    At least we still have the artics.