More Bus Moves

sw4400

11 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

#1007 was on the 146 earlier. I’m shocked it’s one of 20 2005 models that are still running, going on 20 years old next year. CTA will need to retire something in the #1000s soon other than the ones already at SS. There are approximately around 400 #8350s that have been delivered and placed into service and why are there still only 200+ #1000s OOS/Retired. I thought they were to start the retirement process? Will there ever be a scrap bid any time soon?

Maybe. Maybe not. As pointed out by @YoungBusLover, the options 3 and 4 buses were the ones giving out first due largely to their rusting out from the harsher than anticipated effects of Chicago winters on their carbon steel bodies. In North Park's case, it didn't help things much by North Park's being an outdoor storage garage. This is why we've seen NP's 40 ft NF fleet increasingly become a mix of 10xx, 11xx, 14xx and 15xx among what 1700s and 1800s it has left running. I'll add to his point that CTA has already told us that in addition to the 600 8350s they've ordered, they're keeping what 400 D40LF buses left after 8350s are completed and putting those remaining through a second rehab to hopefully hold them over until they order more buses which by their own ordinances and state law have to be electric buses. That's taking into account the possibility they may not have to petition for the exception provided in the law for more time on that and getting to purchase a bit more diesel fueled buses should the hiccups with the 600s not be ironed out fast enough. I invite @Busjack to let me know if I understood and interpreted that part of the law correctly.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I invite @Busjack to let me know if I understood and interpreted that part of the law correctly.

70 ILCS 3615/2.10a says:

(b) On or after July 1, 2026, a Service Board may not enter into a new contract to purchase a bus that is not a zero-emission bus for the purpose of the Service Board's transit bus fleet.
    (c) For the purposes of determining compliance with this Section, a Service Board shall not be deemed to be in violation of this Section when failure to comply is due to:
        (1) the unavailability of zero-emission buses from a manufacturer or funding to purchase zero-emission buses;

(2) the lack of necessary charging, fueling, or torage facilities or funding to procure charging, fueling, or storage facilities; or

(3) the inability of a third party to enter into a contractual or commercial relationship with a Service Board that is necessary to carry out the purposes of this Section.

So, essentially correct, except no need to "apply for an extension."

The proposed MMA Act is the same (Section 4.25).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

70 ILCS 3615/2.10a says:

So, essentially correct, except no need to "apply for an extension."

The proposed MMA Act is the same (Section 4.25).

Thanks. I remembered that there was a safety built into the statutes. I just couldn't remember if the TAs had to communicate with the state in anyway to take advantage of the safety.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So a little slow but NP is finally getting some Novas, albeit older ones for now.  We will see if they get any new ones.   

Somehow it feels like that one's a loaner. I say that because @maths22's tracker showed 8708 being to used on the 49 on Monday afternoon as a 74th bus at first then immediately after used again on the 49 as a North Park bus. Then the next morning it was again on the 49 as a North Park bus before again appearing as a 49 out of 74th before ending service for the morning.

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8596 and #8639 both training buses for NP have entered service out of NP this afternoon for the PM rush on the 136 and 147.

Interesting part is Kedzie had still been using both consistently at least the past few weeks up until last week even though 8596 was reported temporarily assigned to NP as training bus long before you reported them actually out on NP routes yesterday.

9 hours ago, jajuan said:

Somehow it feels like that one's a loaner. I say that because @maths22's tracker showed 8708 being to used on the 49 on Monday afternoon as a 74th bus at first then immediately after used again on the 49 as a North Park bus. Then the next morning it was again on the 49 as a North Park bus before again appearing as a 49 out of 74th before ending service for the morning.

8275 also at P has been on 155, 147 and 136 in the last two days. 8277 on the 49, 49B and 36 over the sames time.

There is a history of 6 and P buses appearing on the 49 and X49, on the other garages runs.

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

8275 also at P has been on 155, 147 and 136 in the last two days. 8277 on the 49, 49B and 36 over the sames time.

There is a history of 6 and P buses appearing on the 49 and X49, on the other garages runs.

That last part's interesting, but it does make sense from the standpoint that they both operate those routes. I just hadn't noticed it until 8708. I got curious about it when it didn't show as being in service like the rest of that string of 8350s reported having started service out of 74th. When I saw the times shown that across both garages were back to back each day, I was like whoa so they do reliefs across the garages on this one. 😂

10 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That last part's interesting, but it does make sense from the standpoint that they both operate those routes. I just hadn't noticed it until 8708. I got curious about it when it didn't show as being in service like the rest of that string of 8350s reported having started service out of 74th. When I saw the times shown that across both garages were back to back each day, I was like whoa so they do reliefs across the garages on this one. 😂

From a lunch relief perspective it makes perfect sense.     Ot allows for operator flexibility to keep drivers within the parameters of a legal lunch period and within the 8 hrs work day. It can also explain partially North Park operators getting trained on Nova buses because they may drive one originating out of the 74th garage.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

From a lunch relief perspective it makes perfect sense.     Ot allows for operator flexibility to keep drivers within the parameters of a legal lunch period and within the 8 hrs work day. It can also explain partially North Park operators getting trained on Nova buses because they may drive one originating out of the 74th garage.   

Well 74th operators make there reliefs at 69th & Western where as NP operators make there's at Foster. Buses that show up as NP/74th Block ID runs on the tracker doesn't necessarily mean operators from either garage are on the run. I'm sure @Mr.cta85 can give a bit more context to how it may work out there on Western.

They jump buses, I witnessed that a few weeks ago at berwyn. A 74th operator bus broke down at the turn around. She called control and was told to take the next bus coming in. That bus was just so happens to be a North park bus. She jump on and we continue on.

Edited by Bus fanatic30
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bus fanatic30 said:

They jump buses, I witnessed that a few weeks ago at berwyn. A 74th operator bus broke down at the turn around. She called control and was told to take the next bus coming in. That bus was just so happens to be a North park bus. She jump on and we continue on.

Oh okay. So in this instance it would have been a North Park bus that broke down and 8708 just happened to be the 74th bus that was taken over. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

i find it very weird everyday a bus breaks down at berwyn everyday and automatically 8708 is the next bus coming in

I don't know if it was a breakdown every single day. But the tracker info does indicate that for Monday and Tuesday, it was logged under block IDs the 49 from both garages of simultaneous or overlapping times as if it was in two places at once. Yesterday shows what actually looks like a clear jump of runs before things settled down and it went back to showing service for 74th garage only. Notice the timing on block id 49-501 and 49-619 on 8/27 and then for block id 49-508 and 49-604 for 8/26.Screenshot_20240829-113702.thumb.png.8ffa14a9cf72fabe32b14388759607b7.png

Screenshot_20240829-113625.png

On 8/28/2024 at 11:31 AM, busfan2847 said:

I just physically sighted 8277 on 97, so that bus has moved to NP.

• Upvote 2

On 8/29/2024 at 7:00 AM, Bus fanatic30 said:

This would probably explain why I seen 1783 I believe at my garage at 74th. But that normally don’t or not suppose to happen. It’s a few possibilities I think happened here. 
1. If the supervisor told the operator to do that that supervisor was probably new on the street. Cause when we jump buses it’s suppose to be out of the same garage. For example if the next bus was a Nova snd the operator was out of NP they before didn’t have novas and the majority of those operators never drove one, so the supervisor probably didn’t know any better…probably. 2. Perhaps the next bus was a flyer and every garage has them so I guess that happened. 3. Both operators were new and neither didnt know that you had to jump buses with your garage only also control probably gave the order and didn’t know what they were doing neither lol. I been here 12yrs and I never had this happen to me nor heard of this happening. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

This would probably explain why I seen 1783 I believe at my garage at 74th. But that normally don’t or not suppose to happen. It’s a few possibilities I think happened here. 
1. If the supervisor told the operator to do that that supervisor was probably new on the street. Cause when we jump buses it’s suppose to be out of the same garage. For example if the next bus was a Nova snd the operator was out of NP they before didn’t have novas and the majority of those operators never drove one, so the supervisor probably didn’t know any better…probably. 2. Perhaps the next bus was a flyer and every garage has them so I guess that happened. 3. Both operators were new and neither didnt know that you had to jump buses with your garage only also control probably gave the order and didn’t know what they were doing neither lol. I been here 12yrs and I never had this happen to me nor heard of this happening. 

I wanted to ask her( the operator) about it but she looked irritated so I didn’t ask lol. But she was definitely out of 74th and the bus she jump was out of Np.