More Bus Moves

sw4400

Maybe you should be specific of your complaints, same as we asked of pace2322 who said NABIs were junk. I know you mentioned the wheel wells leaking. If the drivers spoke up, we could avoid taxpayer debacles like the 7500 series NABIs.

On that I can agree. Give specific complaints instead of just repeating over and over 'this bus is junk' or 'you don't know because you don't drive them' so that I and other taxpayers can be assured we don't get another NABI 7500 spectacle. Also a more specific complaint would be appreciated given other operators have not given many such complaints driving a 1000 series NF. Otherwise, I'm going to be of the impression that these are complaints from an operator upset that he has to now drive a model bus that replaced a retired one that he did like driving, in light of a comment you made months ago to a statement I made that learning new equipment was the nature of your job if I and the rest of the riding public is supposed to have reasonable confidence that you know what you're doing behind the wheel regardless of model. I say reasonable confidence because the NABI spectacle shows that you could still be in an unsafe vehicle despite how much experience the operator has.

On that I can agree. Give specific complaints instead of just repeating over and over 'this bus is junk' or 'you don't know because you don't drive them' so that I and other taxpayers can be assured we don't get another NABI 7500 spectacle. Also a more specific complaint would be appreciated given other operators have not given many such complaints driving a 1000 series NF. Otherwise, I'm going to be of the impression that these are complaints from an operator upset that he has to now drive a model bus that replaced a retired one that he did like driving, in light of a comment you made months ago to a statement I made that learning new equipment was the nature of your job if I and the rest of the riding public is supposed to have reasonable confidence that you know what you're doing behind the wheel regardless of model. I say reasonable confidence because the NABI spectacle shows that you could still be in an unsafe vehicle despite how much experience the operator has.

I'm sure every driver has a preference for what make/model vehicle they want to drive. A professional driver can drive any vehicle. For a long time I wanted to drive MCIs because I was most familiar with those coaches. I was scared when I first drove a Prevost H3 - 45, but once I got accustomed to it, I actually PREFERRED driving those to the MCIs. I drove Vanhools and Setras before (not a big fan of either) and I have driven Eagles (those were nice). I absolutely hated Dinas. To me, those were junk. They felt cheaply put together. I am amazed that there are still a couple on the road.

As far as transits, I do like NF as well as the RTS. Never drove a Nova or NABI or Flx. I did like the GMC fishbowls.

It is a bit different with coaches in that most coach companies assign drivers the same vehicles.

I'm sure every driver has a preference for what make/model vehicle they want to drive. A professional driver can drive any vehicle. For a long time I wanted to drive MCIs because I was most familiar with those coaches. I was scared when I first drove a Prevost H3 - 45, but once I got accustomed to it, I actually PREFERRED driving those to the MCIs. I drove Vanhools and Setras before (not a big fan of either) and I have driven Eagles (those were nice). I absolutely hated Dinas. To me, those were junk. They felt cheaply put together. I am amazed that there are still a couple on the road.

As far as transits, I do like NF as well as the RTS. Never drove a Nova or NABI or Flx. I did like the GMC fishbowls.

It is a bit different with coaches in that most coach companies assign drivers the same vehicles.

I'm not knocking anyone having a preference, but when it gets to the point of an attitude of not wanting to get used to a particular model that does become an issue because regardless of a driver's preference the riding public still needs to have confidence in his capability. That's why I'm inclined to agree with the point of asking for specific complaints so that there can be confidence that CTA isn't getting another lemon (I'm doubting here given NF's track record compared to NABI).

I'm not knocking anyone having a preference, but when it gets to the point of an attitude of not wanting to get used to a particular model that does become an issue because regardless of a driver's preference the riding public still needs to have confidence in his capability. That's why I'm inclined to agree with the point of asking for specific complaints so that there can be confidence that CTA isn't getting another lemon (I'm doubting here given NF's track record compared to NABI).

What is junk? To me, it is something poorly put together or something very worn. A new bus could be considered junk as well as an old bus that was not properly maintained or abused by drivers or riding on very bad roads. Even in the same mmake/model/year one bus could be pristine and the next one could be junk. Each bus is different. Some have fast take offs, some slow, some have great steering, some have loose play. I can't speak for the guy that hates NFs, but the bottom line is how safe the driver feels with the vehicle he is driving. I have never driven a NABI, but as a passenger on Pace buses, if I had ato drive one, the shocks on those would concern me to the point of writing those buses up consistently, though I think some buses are worse than others. If I felt ANY bus was unsafe, I would request another even to the point of refusing a bus that would endanger my passengers lives and my livelihood.

One time the leveling valve for the airbags on a bus had gone out, so the bus was leaning slightly to one side. Not a big deal until I drove the bus and I felt every crack (not potholes) in the road. I took the bus back to the garage to be fixed. The mechanic put the high side of the bus on a block (I guess to force the air down to balance the bus) and gave it back to me. I started driving and brought the bus back a second time. By this time, my bus was the only bus in the yard and I had to drive to downtown to do my commuter run. I still felt the bus was unsafe. One of the owners came out and said I had to drive that bus. I told him absolutely not. He said he would drive the bus himself and I told him go right ahead and I would go home. Of course he didn't drive that bus, but the mechanic actually had to replace that leveling valve which took about a 1/2 hour to do. My passengers were upset that I was late until I explained that I was not going to drive an unsafe vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

More North Park 1600's have made their way to Kedzie. 1617 was on the 125, and 1615 was on the 7.

1617 was on the 12 earlier this morning. It was leapfrogging with the bus I rode on the same route this morning, 1633. I was going to ask if anyone else noticed other former NP buses on Kedzie routes and jacksone44 answered my question.

I registered and couldnt figure out how to update, but North Park has up to 4148 of DE60LF.

Thats because I have it locked out so that only the admins can update it, we had people vandalizing the rosters so I had to turn off that "open" feature.

Thanks for the update, I'll adjust that now.

I registered and couldnt figure out how to update, but North Park has up to 4148 of DE60LF.

#4149, I believe is being held back at NF as a prototype for the 58 artics that will be coming soon. Usually there is one bus held back for an example, whether there will be new features on these I do not know. When they come in we'll most likely see #4149.

• 3 weeks later...

either a couple of moves or a couple of loaners: 4047 was on the 151 (K portion) and 1981 was idling at Sheridan & Foster.

I was going to say that 4047 might have been a straggler that didn't leave Kedzie with the other artics that went south until remembering spotting it on the 14 not too long ago. As for 1981, if I remember correctly I think this one has been up at NP for a small bit of time now before your spotting it. If I'm not mistaken I rode it on the 136 last month around the same time that 1615 and 1617 first made their way from NP to Kedzie. As a matter of fact it's been turning up on both 135 and 136 on different days off and on for a few weeks. The most recent I think was Thursday on I want to say 136, but could have been 135.

I was going to say that 4047 might have been a straggler that didn't leave Kedzie with the other artics that went south until remembering spotting it on the 14 not too long ago. As for 1981, if I remember correctly I think this one has been up at NP for a small bit of time now before your spotting it. If I'm not mistaken I rode it on the 136 last month around the same time that 1615 and 1617 first made their way from NP to Kedzie. As a matter of fact it's been turning up on both 135 and 136 on different days off and on for a few weeks. The most recent I think was Thursday on I want to say 136, but could have been 135.

4047 was never at Kedzie (on a semi permanent basis). Kedzie had the evens and NP had the odds that went south.

i just saw #1618 on the #8 on bus tracker

Looks like more lower 1600s making it to Kedzie. A few 1610s from NP (1615, 1617 and 1619) along with 1620s odd to go with the evens from months ago had already made their way to Kedzie. Plus I thought 1608 was at 74th most recently rather than 103rd, or was it just odd numbered 1600s originally at NP that were recently sent to 74th when some lower 6200s got sent to 103rd?