More Bus Moves

sw4400

I took a ride by FG on my way home tonight. Only 1230 and 1231 were at the garage. 1230 was parked along the fence on Armstrong and 1231 appeared to be a training bus for the mechanics, as there were about 10 huddled around the rear end with the flap open by the bus wash. I found it interesting that the last couple of times by there that they found a nice little home for the Optimas behind the main garage building. Speaking of Optimas, I saw one on the 86 tonight. It threw me a bit, since that is a longer route, but seeing as how it was 8:30, it kind of made sense once I thought about it.

So with all these New Flyers working FG it may very well look like they are getting some. I said this would happen, some chose not to believe it. An update as of 7/16/09: A FGlen bus operator sent me a text message this afternoon stating FGlen will begin shipping out the Flxibles for the New Flyers.

Chicago Bus Alert FYI:I bring to you good tidings for forest glen, 50 flyers are arriving soon from 77th with a swap of novas or maybe 6000s. So now the flyer curse will end at forest glen 4 now.

Instead of 40-footers, 77th should get artics, either older ones from NP or some of the brand-new ones coming in. That would make more sense, given the crowding I've seen on many 77th routes.

Instead of 40-footers, 77th should get artics, either older ones from NP or some of the brand-new ones coming in. That would make more sense, given the crowding I've seen on many 77th routes.

I think they will eventually get more, but I think the focus is to make sure critical routes (134, 135, 136, 145, 146, 147, 156, etc...) are covered.

where have you been?6200 has been at forest glen for months!as well as 6197,6199,6201,6202

Where have I been? Well, someone said that 6200 was over at 103rd, so I believed that person. Plus, I haven't seen 6200 on any FG routes in a while. Sorry. I didn't know.

actually 6200 came from 74th

My fault. Sorry.

I think they will eventually get more, but I think the focus is to make sure critical routes (134, 135, 136, 145, 146, 147, 156, etc...) are covered.

At this point, 150+ buses in those routes should be pretty much covered quite a bit by now, especially 135, 136, 145 146, 147 and 156 from what I observe in person. Do we still see 40 footers on these routes? Yes, but they are not in the dire straits of lacking arctics as they were five months ago. Time to move on to the heavy south side routes that still have a lot of 40 footers jammed up the wazoo with people like 3, X3, 4, X4, 6, 14, 26, etc. CTA is only getting 58 additional artics thus far thanks to the stimulus. Just how many more do they think they cram into Kedzie and NP before the start getting more artics headed back south again especially 77th, which Busjack noted numerous times, lost a heck of a lot of artics even before the NABI mess.

At this point, 150+ buses in those routes should be pretty much covered quite a bit by now, especially 135, 136, 145 146, 147 and 156 from what I observe in person. Do we still see 40 footers on these routes? Yes, but they are not in the dire straits of lacking arctics as they were five months ago. Time to move on to the heavy south side routes that still have a lot of 40 footers jammed up the wazoo with people like 3, X3, 4, X4, 6, 14, 26, etc. CTA is only getting 58 additional artics thus far thanks to the stimulus. Just how many more do they think they cram into Kedzie and NP before the start getting more artics headed back south again especially 77th, which Busjack noted numerous times, lost a heck of a lot of artics even before the NABI mess.

1604 and 1616 are now at North Park

I think they are trying to get K and P back to the roughly 60-65 that K had pre-NABI fiasco and the 80-85 P had, then 03 might get a couple from this batch. I think the 200 or so that will come from the state capital plan will all head south, but I could be wrong.

Well, it looks as if five Flxibles have left Forest Glen for a more southern climate:

6197, & 6199-6202 are now operating out of 103rd.

As of this evening, 6196 is still at FG, filling a run on Addison.

#6074, #6076, #6077, #6079 and #6080 also went to 74th. So you have the ten buses swapped out of FG for the #1000's so far. Most likely those buses will end up replacing cummins at 74th which will retire shortly. The #6200 bunch mentioned above seems to have transferred a few #1000's away from 103rd with the transfer of #1604, a former 103rd bus now at NP. Around and around we go and where we stop nobody knows!! :lol:

#6074, #6076, #6077, #6079 and #6080 also went to 74th. So you have the ten buses swapped out of FG for the #1000's so far. Most likely those buses will end up replacing cummins at 74th which will retire shortly. The #6200 bunch mentioned above seems to have transferred a few #1000's away from 103rd with the transfer of #1604, a former 103rd bus now at NP. Around and around we go and where we stop nobody knows!! :lol:

So that's from Chicago to FG to 74th all in the span of a little over three months based on what was reported about these five in the what's left for 6000s thread.

• 2 weeks later...

From Bustracker, it appears that FG is not receiving any New Flyers this weekend (the new ones have always appeared out there on Saturdays the last two swaps, but nothing new today [or last week, but these swaps have occured every two weeks anyway]). Also, buses 1215, 1218-1221, 1222, and 1224 aren't out there now, but it's too difficult to predict where they will be seen next week.

But I will speculate anyway: North Park sends 4000s to Kedzie; Kedzie sends Flxibles to FG; FG sends the above mentioned NFs to 74th to either supplement or retire the 9 remaining Cummins Flxibles there. It was worth a try. :lol:

From Bustracker, it appears that FG is not receiving any New Flyers this weekend (the new ones have always appeared out there on Saturdays the last two swaps, but nothing new today [or last week, but these swaps have occured every two weeks anyway]). Also, buses 1215, 1218-1221, 1222, and 1224 aren't out there now, but it's too difficult to predict where they will be seen next week.

But I will speculate anyway: North Park sends 4000s to Kedzie; Kedzie sends Flxibles to FG; FG sends the above mentioned NFs to 74th to either supplement or retire the 9 remaining Cummins Flxibles there. It was worth a try. :lol:

I think that maybe FG is recieving New Flyers this weekend, but maybe they won't come out on the routes until Monday? Just because they're not on any routes today doesn't mean they're not there. And as for #1215, #1218-1221, #1222 and #1224, maybe they're just resting for the weekend? Probably. I'm sure they'll be out there Monday.

My speculation is, as far as FG goes, is that Kedzie sends some more New Flyers to them and that FG sends Kedzie or 74th some Flxibles.

#1218 was at the Central/caldwell turnaround on the #84 around 10:00 A.M. this morning. The biggest change I'm seeing this weekend is that the #151 has been switched to all artics. Even the North Park ones that don't short turn at Belmont. Last week they were also out for the air show. They must have liked the results.