NEW CTA Audio?

ial

Hello,

I am a near-daily rider of the CTA Blue and Red lines. I recently noticed that certain audio has changed. The content is the same however the pitch and volume is now different. It seems to only affect the automated announcement of: "doors open on [side] at ____." The destination part of the audio is also the same.

Are they tinkering with it? Does anyone know if the entire audio will be changed soon, e.g. at Lake on the Red Line, one can also transfer to the Blue Line?

Thanks, and great forum!

I've noticed this the past few weeks on the Brown Line. I didn't really think nothing of it, however. (e.g: "Southport is next.... DOORS OPEN ON THE RIGHT.... at Southport"). Maybe people complained they couldn't hear Mr. CTA's direction before???

I noticed it on the Green Line, but didn't want to comment until I heard it on another line, which I did (the Red Line). It sounds like "doors open on the right" was spliced in from Mr. CTA's original recordings. Everyone once in awhile I have been on a Green Line train that still has the old recording. Since I ride nearly everyday, I've pretty much memorized all of the automated announcements and when they would be played at what stations. But the original recording is different, if less lively. Perhaps someone got the idea by differentiating left and right, those who are somewhat hard of hearing can pick up the difference in tone.

I also noticed yesterday that Brown Line trains now go to "the Loop" instead of "Downtown."

The louder "doors open on the right" announcement really catches your attention, and can be useful on a route like the Blue Line, where there are only three stations (excluding the terminals) where it plays, sort of a way to catch your attention that the next stop is different from the others.

Similar with the Red Line, except that Red has a few more right-hand platforms than Blue does.

I too noticed the rerecordings. BTW -- I took the Brown Line from Fullerton to Washington on Friday, and I noticed that there actually was a Mr. CTA announcement that said, and I quote, "This is a Brown Line train to downtown and Midway."

thats the brown/orange line run it runs as a brown line to Library then turns and south and becomes an orange line

I'd noticed this a couple weeks ago, but chalked it up to me just being crazy, heh. It's one of those things where you hear how it was so many times that any change stands out.

I did notice a couple months ago that on some Red Line trains, the segment of the recording that announced doors on the right seemed missing or corrupted. On more than a couple trains I heard either "Doors open on the at North and Clybourn." or "Doors open on the *crazy computer noises* at North and Clybourn."

My only real speculation was that Mr. CTA's inflection is a little different. His old announcement was something like "Doors open on the right. At North and Clybourn", and his new inflection makes it sound more natural, assuming the recording quality wasn't noticeably different on the new version.

The "L" is rated PG for Strong Language, now??? Presuming the "crazy computer noises" are beeps...

"Doors open on the *Beep* at North/Clybourn"

Imagine, for a moment, that *Beep* in other messages... for instance

"Welcome aboard Brown Line Run *Beep*"

"Your Attention Please... We are being delayed because crews are *Beep* on the track ahead. We expect to be moving shortly"

"Thank you for riding the *Beep* CTA

The "L" is rated PG for Strong Language, now??? Presuming the "crazy computer noises" are beeps...

"Doors open on the *Beep* at North/Clybourn"

Imagine, for a moment, that *Beep* in other messages... for instance

"Welcome aboard Brown Line Run *Beep*"

"Your Attention Please... We are being delayed because crews are *Beep* on the track ahead. We expect to be moving shortly"

"Thank you for riding the *Beep* CTA

You may not be too far off track (no pun intended). A paraphrased version of what I heard today on the 35th St bus.

"Hey...This is Ozzie Guillen of the Chicago White Sox. Take this bus" and something about the Red Line stop and the ballpark.

You may not be too far off track (no pun intended). A paraphrased version of what I heard today on the 35th St bus.

"Hey...This is Ozzie Guillen of the Chicago White Sox. Take this bus" and something about the Red Line stop and the ballpark.

The CTA is making this celebrity endorsement thing way too easy... Someone who is looking for a paycheck could lend his voice to advertise the CTA on the audio speakers or even on the TV & Radio...

"Leave the car at Home and take the CTA... It's [bleep]ing golden!!!"

Guess who might take a deal like this if he was offered??? :lol:

I've heard that announcement on the #24 and #35 routes [both serve the Cell].

At this rate the announcement should be made on the #39 also. :lol:

I've heard that announcement on the #24 and #35 routes [both serve the Cell].

At this rate the announcement should be made on the #39 also. :lol:

Starting last weekend now the #152 has just about the same message delivered from Mike Quade the Cubs manager. It's timed to go off with the announcement for the blue line stop on the Clever devices announcement. So if you want to hear it get on at the stop before the station. I wonder if there's a Blackhawks statement on the #20. Someone needs to record "This is Joel Quenneville, Welcome to the second round of the playoffs" (maybe):P

Starting last weekend now the #152 has just about the same message delivered from Mike Quade the Cubs manager. It's timed to go off with the announcement for the blue line stop on the Clever devices announcement. So if you want to hear it get on at the stop before the station. I wonder if there's a Blackhawks statement on the #20. Someone needs to record "This is Joel Quenneville, please bring your Catholic Rosaries and pray for us so we can win Game 4 against the Vancouver Canucks." :P

You would think they would have these announcements on the Red Line for both teams, but I haven't heard it to this point. Perhaps we will hear Thibs and Quennie next season. I haven't heard Quade's yet, but Ozzie sounds like he is reading the script after "Hey Baseball fans, this is Ozzie Guillen, manager of the Chicago White Sox." It is nice to hear another voice besides mr CTA. It catches your attention.

Now the question is will the CTA begin "selling" audio spots. For instance, this is Moo and Oink, get off this bus at 72nd and Stony Island for your meat shopping at Moo and Oink. (Side note: Moo and Oink was actually a catchphrase for the Calumet Meat Company at 3831 S Halsted. They were cheap commercials on WGCI back in the early 80s, but Moo and Oink caught on so strong, the company wound up changing its name.)

You would think they would have these announcements on the Red Line for both teams, but I haven't heard it to this point. Perhaps we will hear Thibs and Quennie next season. I haven't heard Quade's yet, but Ozzie sounds like he is reading the script after "Hey Baseball fans, this is Ozzie Guillen, manager of the Chicago White Sox." It is nice to hear another voice besides mr CTA. It catches your attention.

Now the question is will the CTA begin "selling" audio spots. For instance, this is Moo and Oink, get off this bus at 72nd and Stony Island for your meat shopping at Moo and Oink. (Side note: Moo and Oink was actually a catchphrase for the Calumet Meat Company at 3831 S Halsted. They were cheap commercials on WGCI back in the early 80s, but Moo and Oink caught on so strong, the company wound up changing its name.)

Quade's voice is deep and sounds kind of macho. If you are asleep he might wake you up.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting last weekend now the #152 has just about the same message delivered from Mike Quade the Cubs manager. It's timed to go off with the announcement for the blue line stop on the Clever devices announcement. So if you want to hear it get on at the stop before the station.

There's also another announcement on the #152 at Western in which Quade announces you can take the #154 to the game, although I don't know why it's set to go off at Western, when the buses pick up at Devry, which is at Rockwell. Also if one is on the bus they no longer have a car to park, unless there just trying to put it in your mind for future reference.

.., unless there just trying to put it in your mind for future reference.

That might be the reason, although it still appears that the bus ride is included in the parking fee, so it is kind of unlikely that one would take the 152 local.

OK......................... i have exciting news, i have recorded new audio from the CTA Brown, Red, Pink,Green and Blue Lines and hope to upload them asap. I've noticed a couple of things, the Library State Van Buran Stop is now called the Harold Library State Van Buran (Pink Line recording) and it also seems like when trains approach the loop from anyline expect the Yellow Line, The CTA man announces for example " This is Grand, Thank You for riding the CTA Red Line, Lake is next, doors open on the left at Lake, transfer connection is avaliable to Orange, Green, Pink, Brown Line trains" or another example, This is Clintion, Thank you for riding the CTA Green Line, Clark and Lake is next, transfer to Blue, Orange, Pink, Brown