Where are the Nova's

Archon

Was in the downtown loop and only saw 1 Nova Bus Saw lot's of New Flyers tho. So where are the Nova's

Maybe 77th had them more on it's outlying routes today such as the 35, 71, 79 etc. 77th is the only garage that operates NOVA's downtown except for the few runs on the 29 and 62 by 74th.

Kedzie should trade some of their 1200s Flyers for 77th Nova's, at least 50. I want to see more Nova's back in Downtown. Other than that, I wasn't too happy for not seeing Nova's on 49 Western all night anymore like it used to be. The best routes to see at least 1 or couple Nova's during all Owl Night service would be 79-79th(South Side) or 77-Belmont (North side).

Kedzie should trade some of their 1200s Flyers for 77th Nova's, at least 50. I want to see more Nova's ...

In addition to Gump not listening to this, there was the point during the Huberman years that there were some efficiencies in keeping certain types of equipment together. For instance, since it appears that Novas and New Flyers have different engines, Kedzie would have to stock another set of parts.

That's not to say that, of necessity, some garages have to have mixed fleets, but there now seems to be a reason for Novas being limited to certain garages (as well as allocations based on outdoor storage, traffic signal priority, and the like).

By the way, to you and the original poster, Where are Nova's what? 's is possessive.

In addition to Gump not listening to this, there was the point during the Huberman years that there were some efficiencies in keeping certain types of equipment together. For instance, since it appears that Novas and New Flyers have different engines, Kedzie would have to stock another set of parts.

That's not to say that, of necessity, some garages have to have mixed fleets, but there now seems to be a reason for Novas being limited to certain garages (as well as allocations based on outdoor storage, traffic signal priority, and the like).

By the way, to you and the original poster, Where are Nova's what? 's is possessive.

...get 'em Busjack

...No chance of the CTA retiring the Novas in the near future?

Well, if you believe the budget (and a new one will be out soon), the official word is that the first are eligible for retirement in 2013, but there is insufficient money to replace all of them.

Of course, I suppose that now that Claypool is in charge, you can read Dilbert, and maybe the boss or Wally has a more comprehensible answer than you'll get out of the CTA.

• 1 month later...
Kedzie should trade some of their 1200s Flyers for 77th Nova's, at least 50. I want to see more Nova's back in Downtown. Other than that, I wasn't too happy for not seeing Nova's on 49 Western all night anymore like it used to be. The best routes to see at least 1 or couple Nova's during all Owl Night service would be 79-79th(South Side) or 77-Belmont (North side).
Lately, the late night, and Owl runs [F749 & F750] on #77 Belmont have been run with New Flyers. It wasn't one of these runs; maybe it was F737, where the operator of the New Flyer even had the shield deployed. :o

Lately, the late night, and Owl runs [F749 & F750] on #77 Belmont have been run with New Flyers. It wasn't one of these runs; maybe it was F737, where the operator of the New Flyer even had the shield deployed. :o

From what I've been seeing in these recent monts, the owl routes assigned to garages with Novas have been seeing those Novas benched overnight in favor of running with New Flyers. The Novas pull into their respective garages sometime during the mid and late evening hours leaving just New Flyers until the next morning. As you pointed out, the 77 is one of the latest to do so. The 81 Lawrence was still using some Novas overnight just a few weeks ago but from what I've been seeing in the last couple weeks it too has fallen all NF 1000 overnight.

From what I've been seeing in these recent monts, the owl routes assigned to garages with Novas have been seeing those Novas benched overnight in favor of running with New Flyers. The Novas pull into their respective garages sometime during the mid and late evening hours leaving just New Flyers until the next morning. As you pointed out, the 77 is one of the latest to do so. The 81 Lawrence was still using some Novas overnight just a few weeks ago but from what I've been seeing in the last couple weeks it too has fallen all NF 1000 overnight.

79-79th and 77-Belmont been running at least 1 Nova overnight most days of week. I wish they'll put some Nova's back on 49-Western overnight.

Perhaps it's because of age? I'm not sure about other garages but back before the Flxbles were scrapped, they were never used overnight. At least in my area (103rd) anyway.

79-79th and 77-Belmont been running at least 1 Nova overnight most days of week. I wish they'll put some Nova's back on 49-Western overnight.

Well it wouldn't be the first time that they bench most of their oldest model in the overnight hours where possible and looking at how it's been done in the past with other older models that made up a smaller part of the fleet, they probably won't put Novas on the 49 in the overnight hours again anytime soon.

Well it wouldn't be the first time that they bench most of their oldest model in the overnight hours where possible and looking at how it's been done in the past with other older models that made up a smaller part of the fleet, they probably won't put Novas on the 49 in the overnight hours again anytime soon.

I think the reason they put New Flyers on overnight routes is because a large majority of them have the glass shield that drivers can choose to use when operating in extremely dark or unsafe parts of the city. While I noticed some Novas also began receiving the shields, not a good amount of them have that protection. Age may be a factor, since the Novas are close-approaching their retirement days, the CTA probably do not want to install new shields on buses that will be gone in several years.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps it's because of age? I'm not sure about other garages but back before the Flxbles were scrapped, they were never used overnight. At least in my area (103rd) anyway.

Makes sense, I don't think Flxibles were operated overnight hours since 74th when it was 100% of Flxible fleet until 1700s New Flyers came in service sometime later 2007.

Makes sense, I don't think Flxibles were operated overnight hours since 74th when it was 100% of Flxible fleet until 1700s New Flyers came in service sometime later 2007.

The older stock rule doesn't always apply. I remember taking the N9 a few times late at night and getting a TMC(earlier posted boarding #4826 one night)

For instance, since it appears that Novas and New Flyers have different engines, Kedzie would have to stock another set of parts.

Quite correct, Busjack. The NOVA LFS has a Cummins ISC Engine and the New Flyer D40LF have Cummins ISM(1000-1629) and Cummins ISL(1630-2029) Engines.

Run F748 (the new third night car since the owl service was extended to Octavia) has 6585 tonight.

north park garage needs a lot of novas least about the same amount as the tmc 4400s they had before least i would say about that many of the buses

On what basis???????????? "Need" means that there must be some reason why they "need" them.

Among other things, anything going to North Park has to be equipped for outdoor storage.

north park garage needs a lot of novas least about the same amount as the tmc 4400s they had before least i would say about that many of the buses

Another thing to think about... NOVAs have less space than New Flyers and North Park has a lot of high density routes (which probably gives the reason for 1964-1972 evens and longtitutional Artics remaining there). You'd be giving less space on routes such as 151 which operates 1000's in the morning rush and the early rush 22's. Plus the express routes that are run with 1000's although 148 always has a NOVA or 2 in the A.M

The older stock rule doesn't always apply. I remember taking the N9 a few times late at night and getting a TMC(earlier posted boarding #4826 one night)

Well, now it might apply because another thing I'm noticing is that the 1000's that do operate Owl routes are the newest flyers that the garage has. I see nothing but 1700's-1849 out here on the N5 and N34 (along with the 95E's that become N5) on most nights now.

Well, now it might apply because another thing I'm noticing is that the 1000's that do operate Owl routes are the newest flyers that the garage has. I see nothing but 1700's-1849 out here on the N5 and N34 (along with the 95E's that become N5) on most nights now.

I usually check out Bus Tracker every night, and I do see that 74th Garage operates oldest 1000s on owl routes, I always be seeing #1091 almost every night owl.

• Upvote 1