Chicago Fire Dept ex-CTA buses

mel bernero

Nice pics Mel, Thanks for posting. The Flxibles, looks like one was #8417. The Fishbowls, one was a #100 series and the other was an ex7400 series. The Twin was a CD, never served CTA. The GM old looks, Ive never seen these before. Now we have NF #5858, TMC RTS ex4900 series, and three ex6000 Flxibles. The Flxibles are still sitting at the city shops at North/Throop.

Nice pics Mel, Thanks for posting. The Flxibles, looks like one was #8417. The Fishbowls, one was a #100 series and the other was an ex7400 series. The Twin was a CD, never served CTA. The GM old looks, Ive never seen these before. Now we have NF #5858, TMC RTS ex4900 series, and three ex6000 Flxibles. The Flxibles are still sitting at the city shops at North/Throop.

Which Fire Dept that has 4900s TMC? Last time I saw one was few years ago by Beverly Fire Dept. on W.95th.

The Flxibles are still sitting at the city shops at North/Throop.

Are they still unpainted, or have they been painted and decaled? Probably asked this, but do these ex-CTA buses get the same emergency outfittings as a new Ford F-450 Ambulance or Pierce Fire Engine/Ladder Truck when it arrives in Chicago(same flashing lights and EQ2B Siren)?

Are they still unpainted, or have they been painted and decaled? Probably asked this, but do these ex-CTA buses get the same emergency outfittings as a new Ford F-450 Ambulance or Pierce Fire Engine/Ladder Truck when it arrives in Chicago(same flashing lights and EQ2B Siren)?

The RTS bus is already repainted and marked as you can see on my pic. The exCTA NF #5858 was also repainted and marked. There are three Flxible 6000s that the CTA turnedover tot he fire dept. Those buses have been repainted and stripped of the CTA markings. They have no markings and currently sit at the City of Chicago repair shop at North/Throop. The RTS bus is not equipped with sirens or lights, the New Flyer is so equipped! as well as fire dept. radios. Should the bus be deployed it will run to the emergency scene as all fire dept. vehicles respond, with light/sirens.

I have been going through some of my slides and came across some photos of ex-CTA buses that were turned over to the Chicago Fire Department.

The Twin is not an ex-CTA bus, but from Civil Defense.post-633-13282322771918_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them.

Mel Bernero

Looks like an old Chicago Transit Authority propane bus to me!

Looks like an old Chicago Transit Authority propane bus to me!

The green buses are no doubt exCTA 8400 propanes. The Civil Defense was specially built. Not sure if it was propane powered.

• 2 months later...

The CFD buses at the Academy are used to transport Fire recruits when they leave the grounds. Sometimes theyre used for other purposes but mainly for recruit transport. During my time at the Academy in 2005 we had a temporary school bus because the GMC 5307 being used at the time was damaged in an accident and never returned to the CFD fleet, the bus was eventually scrapped. I just returned from the CFD Academy. I can confirm we have two exCTA New Flyers. The first one of course being #5858/CFD 8-8-11, assigned at Eng. #107 1101 S. California. The NF at the fire academy is bus #5826. The ex4900 RTS I havent seen it in a while. I believe it is still being used. The last time I saw it, it was parked at the CFD shops at 31st/Sacramento. In mid June there will be an open house at the Chicago Fire Academy. The grounds of the academy will be open for the public. There will be all kinds of fire apparatus available for viewing. Last year they had the buses on display. If anyone is interested in attending, its free and its a good time for all! :)

and the one that was listed sold for $4100 !! ohmy.gif Wonder what the future holds for it ??unsure.gif

I wonder what the vehicles conditions in the auctions really are... every one of them is labeled UNKNOWN for running condition and POOR for overall condition... even a powerchair is labeled as such!!! :blink:

I wonder what the vehicles conditions in the auctions really are... every one of them is labeled UNKNOWN for running condition and POOR for overall condition... even a powerchair is labeled as such!!! :blink:

The distinction is between you buy at your own risk as compared to you agree to scrap it.

Obviously, not in good enough condition for the fire department to keep it, but someone must think it is worth $4100. Caveat emptor.

• 1 month later...

Heres a pic I shot today of New Flyer #5826 during an open house fire dept. event held at the Chicago Fire Academy. Here is also a Thomas built Mass Casualty bus. This bus was built and delivered to the CFD. Im told by an instructor that they did take possesion of one Flxible #6000. It is stored elsewhere.

post-158-13399117618687_thumb.jpg post-158-13399144852625_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Today I was able to operate the CFD Flxible #6163. I drove it from a west side storage facility to the fire academy. The bus will sit there for the next few days probably till Monday! So if anyone is down there the next couple days you can get pics of it. I took my own pics today I will post asap! :) It really took me back to some good memories driving those Flx buses! :)

Where's the fire academy located at?

The two 8400's were 8421 and 8423, r# 15 and 17 for Evanston service. An old CFD support vehicle list shows them as "Viking 1" and "Viking 2" - a form of designation I have never heard of before.

• 1 month later...

Were looking into getting the CFD RTS the bus in my avatar pic, donated. This bus is till on CFD property and is in running condition. Were working to get it sent to IRM. Will keep you posted on this.