4300/4330-series DE60LF/D60LF - Updates

BusHunter

Not if there is another rampage at Ford City. :P

The problem is other than those five routes, 77th does not really have any routes that are worthy of artic use. In fact, quite a few of its routes are only worthy of a 30-footer or even a paratransit-type bus (based on current ridership patterns).

And based on this, 77th may not keep those three 4300s for long (as far as its roster is concerned).

The problem is other than those five routes, 77th does not really have any routes that are worthy of artic use. In fact, quite a few of its routes are only worthy of a 30-footer or even a paratransit-type bus (based on current ridership patterns).

And based on this, 77th may not keep those three 4300s for long (as far as its roster is concerned).

I originally missed the "other," but those routes by themselves should more than justify artics based on the Dec. Ridership Report. 3, 4, and 8 also are supposed to get beefed up service when the Red Line is closed.

I don't think anyone was suggesting putting them on 1, 2, or 71.

The #71 is no longer a 77th route as of the December pick. All runs on the #71 are out of 103rd.

So, I guess you are down to the strawmen 1 and 2, and as I looked at the Garages page, 8A and 43, and apparently some far southwest side routes transferred from 74 (making them even more inefficient, deadheadwise).

In any event, they don't have any effect on the need on the 5 lines you originally listed.

So, I guess you are down to the strawmen 1 and 2, and as I looked at the Garages page, 8A and 43, and apparently some far southwest side routes transferred from 74 (making them even more inefficient, deadheadwise).

In any event, they don't have any effect on the need on the 5 lines you originally listed.

Actually the 2 does get pretty crowded on some of its peak direction trips. And since it's a rush hour only route a ridership report wouldn't mean the same think unless it was one based only on comparison of rush period service on various routes.

Actually the 2 does get pretty crowded on some of its peak direction trips. And since it's a rush hour only route a ridership report wouldn't mean the same think unless it was one based only on comparison of rush period service on various routes.

I was thinking more that the local portion was a short route, and apparently would have to navigate 60th St., which is no picnic.

In any event, maybe the more appropriate analogy to rjl's post that started this would be that 103rd is not keeping its artics for long, because most of its routes are out of the 95-State terminal, and 34 only sporadically needs them. We know that doesn't affect 6 and 14. 96, 97 (and 155) barely affect North Park.

I was thinking more that the local portion was a short route, and apparently would have to navigate 60th St., which is no picnic.

In any event, maybe the more appropriate analogy to rjl's post that started this would be that 103rd is not keeping its artics for long, because most of its routes are out of the 95-State terminal, and 34 only sporadically needs them. We know that doesn't affect 6 and 14. 96, 97 (and 155) barely affect North Park.

Yeah the question marks were going off in my head on that one too. Also added to that mix is while the Dan Ryan part of the Red line is closed May 19-Oct. 19, we know one or both of either 77th or 103rd has to cover the various shuttles between Garfield Green Line and a closed Red line station as well as that between 63rd and 95th that will stop at the cross streets of a Red Line station.

#4357 and #4359 are out on the #6 this morning.

That they are I actually got the chance to drive 4359 doing the 6 this morning and I must say in comparisons to the diesel electric counterparts of the 4300-4332 series the diesels 4333 and up in my opinion driver better than the lower 4300's and the previous 4000's,they have the acceleration of a 40fter new flyer. They are officially my favorite artic bus. I also drove 4338 a week ago so its a difference between the 2 bus types.

That they are I actually got the chance to drive 4359 doing the 6 this morning and I must say in comparisons to the diesel electric counterparts of the 4300-4332 series the diesels 4333 and up in my opinion driver better than the lower 4300's and the previous 4000's,they have the acceleration of a 40fter new flyer....

Are you able to attribute it to a cause, such as that the hybrids only start using the electric motor?*

_______

*For instance, some cars claim better acceleration because the engine and the electric motor work together.

New to Kedzie Garage are buses 4356 and 4360: 4356 was on the #134, while 4360 is on the #156 this morning.

On another note, 103rd Garage seems to be running far fewer 4300s than normal: The majority of buses on the #6 this morning are 40-footers. Only two 4300s (4308 and 4335) are on that route (as per BusTracker); the rest are 40-footers.

New to Kedzie Garage are buses 4356 and 4360: 4356 was on the #134, while 4360 is on the #156 this morning.

On another note, 103rd Garage seems to be running far fewer 4300s than normal: The majority of buses on the #6 this morning are 40-footers. Only two 4300s (4308 and 4335) are on that route (as per BusTracker); the rest are 40-footers.

Speculation is they might be in use as shuttle buses for this Wells St. Bridge shutdown.

• Upvote 1

They might be worried about the snow forecasted for tonight. Some of those buses stay out all day. You'll probably see the same thing tomorrow.

They might be worried about the snow forecasted for tonight. Some of those buses stay out all day. You'll probably see the same thing tomorrow.

But wouldn't the same be happening on the J14? It stays out pretty late but it's still all artics (4300's and Jump wrapped 4000's

But wouldn't the same be happening on the J14? It stays out pretty late but it's still all artics (4300's and Jump wrapped 4000's

The last storm had a jackknifed #4326 at 47th/Lake Park. They might be more concerned with the #6, because the #6 has more turns than the #J14 and had that recent problem.

The last storm had a jackknifed #4326 at 47th/Lake Park. They might be more concerned with the #6, because the #6 has more turns than the #J14 and had that recent problem.

That is a 135 degree turn there, smilar to the one at 83rd/Exchange on the 26. But regardless of route, in heavy snow or ice, any two-part vehicle be it artic bus or semitrailer, tractor trailer, will have a significantly higher risk of jackknifing because the back end can't be controlled once it goes into a skid/slide. .

Now I discovered the reason: Many of them are being used as Brown Line shuttle buses during the Wells Street Bridge renovation. All three current artic-equipped garages (103rd, Kedzie and North Park) are contributing some of their artics for this purpose, resulting in some of the routes that are normally operated entirely with artics now being operated partially with 40-footers.

• Upvote 1

That is a 135 degree turn there, smilar to the one at 83rd/Exchange on the 26. But regardless of route, in heavy snow or ice, any two-part vehicle be it artic bus or semitrailer, tractor trailer, will have a significantly higher risk of jackknifing because the back end can't be controlled once it goes into a skid/slide. .

The difference is that the motor (and hence the weight) is not under a semitrailer as it is under a bus, where the problem seems to be that one can't keep the front under control.

But rjl seems to have the correct explanation for today. If the projections of the snowfall keep increasing for tomorrow, then we can go back to snowmageddon talk.

The difference is that the motor (and hence the weight) is not under a semitrailer as it is under a bus, where the problem seems to be that one can't keep the front under control.

But rjl seems to have the correct explanation for today. If the projections of the snowfall keep increasing for tomorrow, then we can go back to snowmageddon talk.

And it looks like sw called this one a few posts up before RJL got an explanation that pretty much confirmed the supposition though number of artics used a Brown Line shuttles appears not to have affected artic use on routes at Kedzie and North Park where normally see them.

One thing that catches my eye is that 4316 is about to start a Grace/Lake Shore run from State/Harrison on the 146 in about three minutes from this posting.

Two other 4300s (4357, also previously assigned to 103rd, and 4330) are also on the #146 at this moment.