New Ideas

NewFlyerMCI

I was just wondering if any of these ideas would be beneficial to CTA service

-Lake Shore Transit Center (LSTC) (Marine Dr btwn Waveland and Addison)

- 8, 22, 36, 77, 78, 81, 134, 135, 143, 146, 148, 151, 152, 156

The LSTC would be useful to consolidate the majority of service in the area into one point to make it easier for people to switch/access routes. The terminal would also serve as an ending point for the 8, 77, 78, 81, 134, 143, 152, 156. Additional features such as bus bays, heating/seating areas, vendor (Dunkin' Donuts, Panera, 7-11, Starbucks, etc) could be added for passenger convience and comfort.

SERVICE REROUTE: 75 renamed to 74th/75th/76th

- Normal route from Loomis/76th, con't on 76th until Ford City

Extended service range from Loomis to Ford City, providing more passenger intake and service, also makes for supplenmental service for 79. This also allows for better neighbor hood connection (No service btwn 71st & 79th)

NEW ROUTE: 98 Grant Park Exp OR Grant Park/S Shore Exp

-Service to Chicago/Lake Shore w/ Additional Service to Navy Pier to 92nd/Buffalo via L Shore, Huron, McClurg, Ontario, Columbus, L Shore Exp, Jeffery, 71 route btwn Jeffery/71st and Commercial/92nd to 92nd/Buffalo, then return.

Ideal service to provide a medium btwn 6 & 26 service with also having an addtional south side route fro Navy Pier (See 2 & 29). Provides an additional option for people who can't/won't/don't take J14 and who live farther south than 79th. Provides service for people who can't/won't/don't take Metra

REROUTE: 11 restored & Truncated

- Restore service btwn Western & Fullerton. Truncate from Howard/McCormick to Lincolnwood Town Ctr OR Devon/Kedzie. Downtown Trips during peak periods. All other times at previous terminal near Clark/North

Ideal to preserve the communities and business along this length of Lincoln Ave, while also providing shortened service to accomodate for changes.

NEW ROUTE: 32 Vincennes

- Btwn 127th/Kedzie to 69th Red Line, daily via Vincennes, 127th, Kedzie, Wireton, and return

Ideal to provide service that is cheaper than Metra while also serving high-end communities (Beverly, Burr Oak, Longwood, West Pullman). Also provides back-up service for 112 (95th to Monterey(111th)) & addtional service for 24 (79th to 87th). This also gives an red line alternative for people in the area instead taking cross routes to 95th, while providing Metra connections.

I am new here, please give positive feedback

EDIT: I have providied what I feel are good reasons. Please, give them to your dogs, put positively.

Renaming routes: Essentially no point; Chicagoans know what they are, and a few that made no sense (such as Wilson Michigan not making it to Wilson) got eliminated in the "Crowd Reduction Plan" cutbacks. CTA got less compulsive about route names around 1975, for instance truncating "Garfield-55" to "Garfield" and "Devon-Sheridan" to Devon.

Which, of course means, that since there were "Crowd Reduction Plan" restructurings, probably not the time to suggest redoing that.

95W and E merge was discussed and debunked before. Then the issue was that it wouldn't relieve congestion in the 95-Red Line terminal. Now as a result of the Crowd Reduction Plan, makes even less sense, as about 40% of the 95Ws have been replaced by Pace 381 (CTA schedule).

You will note:

• How many times "Crowd Reduction Plan" has been cited here.
  • Our fearless administrator pointing out that the Community Guidelines require reasons,and for good reason.
  • Upvote 2

I think the ideas face a bunch of duplicity (although I will "fight" to the death about merging the 95's*)

Except for that LSD Transit Center. It would work, but there's no space for it.

___

* Maybe when the Red is extended to 130th, we can bring this up again, but still...

• Upvote 1

I think the ideas face a bunch of duplicity (although I will "fight" to the death about merging the 95's*)

Except for that LSD Transit Center. It would work, but there's no space for it.

___

* Maybe when the Red is extended to 130th, we can bring this up again, but still...

I agree on the 95E and 95W. It may not be about congestion, but would deffinately provide a one seat ride for many traveling east and West across the Dan Ryan at least.

I agree on the 95E and 95W. It may not be about congestion, but would deffinately provide a one seat ride for many traveling east and West across the Dan Ryan at least.

Not if 95E runs once every 10-12 minutes and 95W runs once every 20. See my post above.

Except for that LSD Transit Center. It would work, but there's no space for it...

Sure there is. Just condemn about 8 high rise condominium buildings. What would that cost, maybe a $1 billion (including relocation costs)?

Or just move the Cubs to Rosemont and put it there.

I bet the feds would give you a $2 million consultant contract to figure it out, but not the $1 billion. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Sure there is. Just condemn about 8 high rise condominium buildings. What would that cost, maybe a $1 billion (including relocation costs)?

I bet the feds would give you a $2 million consultant contract to figure it out, but not the $1 billion. :lol:

It would be interesting watching Wrigley Rooftop Owners take on the Feds over Wrigleyville Bus Terminal :lol:

Simple solution: short turns. Interline with the 100 if needed. :P

But what would be the point? If Sam's point was a one seat ride, someone would have a 40% chance of getting one, and a 60% chance of getting confused by the headsign.

Also, 100 runs only rush hour, so that doesn't accomplish much.

It would be interesting watching Wrigley Rooftop Owners take on the Feds over Wrigleyville Bus Terminal :lol:

According to Beth Murphy, the rooftop owners don't have any protection against the Cubs moving out.

I'm starting to like the idea better. Aside from the rooftops getting a new view of fleet numbers on bus roofs, a bus terminal should smell like urine, and hence that location has a "leg up."

• Upvote 2

That was the whole point of where it should go. Condemn everything btwn Waveland and Addison to make space for it. This way, you starts riots & protests instead of people being even more confused about where to catch their bus. Believe me, I ve seen VERY confused people trying to catch a 156 where you catch the 152

That was the whole point of where it should go. Condemn everything btwn Waveland and Addison to make space for it. This way, you starts riots & protests instead of people being even more confused about where to catch their bus. Believe me, I ve seen VERY confused people trying to catch a 156 where you catch the 152

You definitely mean well, but you're in fantasy land. First, the condo residents and the realty companies that own the condo buildings will fight this thing in court and they have deep pockets to do so. Second, even if this project somehow gets green-lighted, where will the money come from to build this project?

Whoa.... Thought 95W was at least 15 min. Would've been something to push for BEFORE December 16 instead of merging the 381 and 95W schedules. :lol:

Da Mare actually mentioned Pace in connection with this one. It was clear that with 95W previously running every 10 minutes and 381 every 20, the decision was made to just run 95W every 20, too, to provide 10 minute intervals. Of course, Pace was the one that said that the planners for the two agencies conferred.

Hmm, I don't really know. What are opinions on some of the other ideas?

Are you going to conform to the Community Guidelines and actually post reasons for them? Including, especially. passenger generators?

We've gone through too many "this cross street doesn't have a bus" ones.

I can't tell if you're serious about this, or... But if you simply don't know where the bus route goes, there's not much CTA can do to fix that (there isn't a shortage of available transit information for Chicago; maps on bus stops, detailed system maps, Google Transit, etc.).

If you tear down buildings along the lakefront, you tear down the source of ridership for these routes, and thus eliminate the need for the service (or, at least, as much service). So, you increase costs, but cut your ridership potential in the process. How is that a good thing?

• Upvote 1

Not if 95E runs once every 10-12 minutes and 95W runs once every 20. See my post above.

That doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means what's west of the Dan Ryan would be every 20 mins. As for the rest, I agree it's fantasy especially when it comes to the north side proposal. That one basically involves arbitrarily ripping things down for the sake of ripping them down with no obvious benefit in service. I don't really see a need for extending the 75 let alone renaming it. (On the renaming front, I still submit thoughts of renaming the former 145 made even less since than keeping the Wilson/Michigan name because the former interline where 148's became 145's in the opposite direction made the above mentioned short turns one directional.) But back to the 75, quite possibly no need for an extension as there is to just put more artics on the 79 trips that go to Ford City first. The 67 is already serving the purpose that's being proposed. The recent Decrowd reroutes mentioned highlights the first question that popped to my head about any of it. Namely, how is it going to be paid for?

Now you know you can't do that, guys. The Wrigleyville Rooftop Owners would fight you on that one since Wrigley Field is gone, they need to sell seats to look at something, and I guess seeing Hybrid Artics, Clean Diesel Artics and 40' buses turn into a Wrigleyville Terminal located at Addison and Waveland and pick up/drop off passengers would garner some fans... at least bus fans. Maybe the Bus Operators can tip their caps to a chorus of cheers as they bring their buses safely back to the starting point. :D

Maybe Kevin can buy 1032 W. Waveland and make it the Chicagobus Rooftops. The soon-to-be retired NOVA LFS bus seats can replace the grandstand seats up there now. :P:lol:

• Upvote 3

Now you know you can't do that, guys....

I wasn't going to reply earlier, since prior comments were not directed to me, but there was a certain amount of goofing and sarcasm in my statements, although not about the $1 billion cost.

Of course, all the smileys in yours also implies similarly.

Now, whether NewFlyerMCI was goofing is a different question.

I was goofing. I am not THAT mean :ph34r:

I will, however, agree with you that the #11 Lincoln should be restored between Fullerton and Western. The businesses in this area have noticed a drop in sales(I have noticed a drop in our customers since implementation).

Will it be? No... we tried a petition signed by thousands and even got Ald. Pawar involved... no change, they still cut the route. CTA is finally doing whatever service cuts and fare increases they want, and don't care about the public opinion.

• Upvote 2

I will, however, agree with you that the #11 Lincoln should be restored between Fullerton and Western. The businesses in this area have noticed a drop in sales(I have noticed a drop in our customers since implementation).

Will it be? No... we tried a petition signed by thousands and even got Ald. Pawar involved... no change, they still cut the route. CTA is finally doing whatever service cuts and fare increases they want, and don't care about the public opinion.

You're basically seeing the modus operandi of Emanuel appointees sometimes under Emanuel himself to cut even when there is credible evidence that speaks against the cut or cutting as quickly as Emanuel wants to drop the ax.