South Shop 7

7900-series Nova LFS - Deliveries & Assignments

On 12/20/2018 at 2:35 PM, sw4400 said:

...it's probably a glare or something, but I'm not sure. Looks like a fan in the image taken.

8341 With Circular Fan.png

It’s a vent for something cause the current Novas that are in service have the same vent. It’s just a different shape cut into the body 

1 hour ago, BusOps said:

It’s a vent for something cause the current Novas that are in service have the same vent. It’s just a different shape cut into the body 

Some mta novas have the same vent in the lift gate on the tail of the bus. I looked all over at 2018 nova buses and I cant find this spec anywhere with the double side vents above the tail lights

I am puzzled by the lack of a rear window in these remaining 25 buses.

https://chitransit.org/topic/3636-is-it-just-me-or-a-discussion-on-bus-design/?do=findComment&comment=97599

Although, it could be the reason for its elimination is so passengers cannot look out the rear and notice the pack of buses bunching behind them9_9

Edited by pudgym29
Attribute quote from other thread.
  • Haha 2

I was reading that Nova buses have had the option to remove the back window/hopper windows since the last generation which makes me think that CTA purposely chose to leave this out, who knows why.

1 hour ago, ChicagoNova said:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but during my ride home from my parents' house, I spotted the newest novas lined up at South Shops.

How many? What numbers?  Did any of those buses have any rear windows or hopper windows?

2 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but during my ride home from my parents' house, I spotted the newest novas lined up at South Shops.

Ima go to south shops toma see what I can see and catch 

10 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Ima go to south shops toma see what I can see and catch 

I might go over there myself and see what's up. Maybe get a few pictures.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I might go over there myself and see what's up. Maybe get a few pictures.

I hope we both catch something It’s also going to be a nice experience for me because I get to see the shops and the garage I never been there I passed by once couple months ago but it wasn’t day time it was night 

25 minutes ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Rumor is the 8325’s are all suppose to go to FG to replace the 6400’s I don’t know if it’s true or not 

They will replace SOME 6400s.  We know 25 won't be enough to retire all of the remainder of the 6400s

There's no guarantee that all of the 8325s will go to F either.  W all shall soon find out .

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

They will replace SOME 6400s.  We know 25 won't be enough to retire all of the remainder of the 6400s

There's no guarantee that all of the 8325s will go to F either.  W all shall soon find out .

It would make sense for them to go to 103rd though in my opinion ,I don't know what they would give in order to receive all 25 but who know's at this point.Also has North Park trained there drivers yet or am I late on asking that question?

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

It would make sense for them to go to 103rd though in my opinion ,I don't know what they would give in order to receive all 25 but who know's at this point.Also has North Park trained there drivers yet or am I late on asking that question?

NP won't get any Novas. The only reason 103rd is getting any Novas is because of their shields.  Those buses are slated primarily for use on owl service.  As such, it would seem illogical to put brand new buses at 103rd to be used just for owl service.  Look for F to get the majority, if not all, of the 8325s with either F or 77th giving up a few Novas to go 103rd.. My guess would be 77th.

Might be theyll spread them around. They did it with the 8200 blue shell seat insert buses right. Why not give all nova garages a few and just give fg some and the rest 1000s. Btw I got pictures of all the new nova buses I'll upload them soon. Santa is coming can you wait until xmas? Lol!! Out here at the Ford plant checking out the operations. Fascinating to say the least. I need to take a tour.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yea but plus the 89 novas we already got at FG

40 minutes ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Yea but plus the 89 novas we already got at FG

Apparently none of those 89 replaced  the 100 the 2019 capital plan says still need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

NP won't get any Novas. The only reason 103rd is getting any Novas is because of their shields.  Those buses are slated primarily for use on owl service.  As such, it would seem illogical to put brand new buses at 103rd to be used just for owl service.  Look for F to get the majority, if not all, of the 8325s with either F or 77th giving up a few Novas to go 103rd.. My guess would be 77th.

That's true I forgot about the initial reason why 103rd was getting Novas to begin with until you mentioned the shields. 

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

How many? What numbers?  Did any of those buses have any rear windows or hopper windows?

The buses did NOT have rear windows. I think I'll swing by today & see what the numbers are.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Might be theyll spread them around. They did it with the 8200 blue shell seat insert buses right. Why not give all nova garages a few and just give fg some and the rest 1000s. Btw I got pictures of all the new nova buses I'll upload them soon. Santa is coming can you wait until xmas? Lol!! Out here at the Ford plant checking out the operations. Fascinating to say the least. I need to take a tour.

But that was CTA wanted to test passengers' reactions to the all plastic seats. No one has mentioned any unique feature on 8325-8349 to justify spreading them around, and no the lack of a rear window doesn't cut it since CTA has 34 soon to be 35 years of experience with buses that have no rear window.;)9_9

39 minutes ago, jajuan said:

But that was CTA wanted to test passengers' reactions to the all plastic seats. No one has mentioned any unique feature on 8325-8349 to justify spreading them around, and no the lack of a rear window doesn't cut it since CTA has 34 soon to be 35 years of experience with buses that have no rear window.;)9_9

yeah but jajuan these buses are experimental. they have no hopper windows, cameras out the rear, most likely new interior bustracker live signs. Maybe a cummins engine. these are just like the #5745's of the flxible era. btw, i'm loading my pics now stay tuned. Santa is in the building!! LOL!!