7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I only see one #7900 today on the #52A..

I'm kinda slow about this. I'm just getting used to using CTA Bus Tracker. And I have to admit, it's fun. However, in reference to your comment, last Sunday, the only 7900 series that I saw out of 77th was on 4 Cottage Grove southbound to 95th. That was around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Then it disappeared. I'm just curious as to why they don't run the 7900s on Saturdays and Sundays since, from what I've read, there are at least 80 on the property?

• Upvote 1

I don't see anything in the budget that they are increasing bus service (as opposed to increasing L service). All references lately have been to about 1800 buses, not back to 2100, which is about what you are trying to convince us of here. Also, there appears nowhere to store them (unless 77th goes back to about 400 buses from supposedly each garage having about 265).

A jajuan has pointed out, all the sudden you have posted that the rehabs have accelerated. They can't do that unless they have buses to cover the routes, and once that is done about mid 2015, there won't be a reason to keep the overage buses around here.

Well I never said 300 buses so I don't where you heard that from. I said 100 buses. As usual you have blown what I said out of proportion. :rolleyes: Wasn't it you who said they were already running 100 buses surplus since the 100 artics showed up cause not much was retired there. A few optimas, that's it. Funny they seemed to find a place to store the 100 surplus, and they even still have the optimas. :lol: So what is your explanation there? If it was pertaining to #1000's rehabs, please tell me how they made service before the #7900's arrived in June which the rehabs started last November. I think it's just CTA being cautious.

So looking at your assertion, i looked back on the rosters to see how they have changed since the #7900's arrived. I found 8 more buses at FG, 5 less at Chicago, 3 less at Np, 11 more at K, one more at 74th, 36 more at 77th, but that can be explained by there loss of artics, but not entirely as the fleet loss of 36 artics was doubled instead of increased by a third. So that's 14 more total fleet minus 77th which has increased about as much in itself. So if I said well hey let's account for 30 buses, then we should have 52 #6400's retired which we don't, it's roughly a third of that. This supports what was mentioned by insiders about Fg not getting buses at all for the base order. I think the Chicago and 74th Novas will be the only ones retiring with this base order. Any Fg retirements will be the product of a #6400 replacement. That's what seems to make the most sense to me from what I've heard.

Well I never said 300 buses so I don't where you heard that from. I said 100 buses. As usual you have blown what I said out of proportion. :rolleyes: Wasn't it you who said they were already running 100 buses surplus since the 100 artics showed up cause not much was retired there. A few optimas, that's it....

No, 45 Optimas, 9 900s, plus a certain amount of junk. So maybe up about 40, but that would indicate that 120 Novas should be crunched soon, except for the "keeping enough spares during rehabs."

At least you modified "all."

And the "1800" is up from about 1730.

Any Fg retirements will be the product of a #6400 replacement. That's what seems to make the most sense to me from what I've heard.

Novas at Forest Glen will be retired by Novas(6400's) right now. Then when Chicago and 74th has no more Novas, the Novas at Forest Glen will be replaced by used School Buses. And those School Buses will operate Forest Glen routes until the order that is placed near 2020 to begin retirement of the New Flyer D40LF's.

Sad, but true.... at least the way things are going. I think 77th has enough buses that at least a dozen or so New Flyers at the least can be sent to Forest Glen.

Given the rosters at the garages, Forest Glen has to have the highest breakdown and out of service percentage with 74th and Chicago next in order with quantity of Novas(6400's) in service.

Novas at Forest Glen will be retired by Novas(6400's) right now. Then when Chicago and 74th has no more Novas, the Novas at Forest Glen will be replaced by used School Buses. ...

I don't think this is RTA South, which had to do that when the Grummans were inspected after the NY fiasco.

Of course, someone had posted pictures of New Looks with weird paint jobs which seemed to have CTA fleet numbers but came from somewhere else.

So it was road salted or dusty? There was that storm last weekend that dropped a few inches of snow on Minnesota but that was tracking through the northern great lakes unless this bus went through Canada. The former #6400's did have a stopoff in Detroit!! LOL

As mentioned before, either they used Ont. 401 and I-94 or I-87 and I-90 to get from Plattsbugh. The bad weather we had Saturday went in that direction. Buffalo, N.Y. got a few feet of lake effect snow (sort of similar to what South Bend got over the weekend, and the bus would have had to have gone either through South Bend or the snow belt in Michigan to the north of there, as well as probably through Buffalo).

77th apparently got a new bus wash as part of the hoist project, so it can take care of that.

I'm going to limit myself checking on new ones from this day on. Thanks for the info. This wouldn't work either.

That was the route I described. I don't know if the "!" on your map denotes that I-90 is closed, at least between Erie Pa and Rochester NY. I used to drive that route, but not during winter.

Good luck with that. The way how this weather going to be, I'm guessing until after Christmas but no later than late January-early February.

They'll have opportunities between storms to move new arrivals from Plattsburgh to Chicago once the roads and expressways are cleared. But deliveries might be slower between December and February due to snow and cold.

But deliveries might be slower between December and February due to snow and cold.

Not to mention that there are some 60 artics on the Plattsburgh production list between 7999 and 8000, so while I don't know what order they're working on right now my guess is that there will be no 80xx deliveries before 2015.

Is it a coincidence I saw two 7990's northbound working #3 King Dr [about 3 blocks from each other] near McCormick Place and both were signed for 95th/St Lawrence? The idea of 2 new buses on a route both having sign problems seems strange...

This was around 5:00pm today [11/19/2014].

Essentially that has nothing to do with the bus itself, but the Clever Device. Sometimes those things don't realize when they are at the end of the route and don't automatically change the sign. Either that or it was consistently misprogrammed.

Not to mention that there are some 60 artics on the Plattsburgh production list between 7999 and 8000, so while I don't know what order they're working on right now my guess is that there will be no 80xx deliveries before 2015.

Novabus had a Flash linking to SEPTA saying that they were starting to get their artics.