7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

That was the route I described. I don't know if the "!" on your map denotes that I-90 is closed, at least between Erie Pa and Rochester NY...

A Google search didn't yield any answers, but I'm assuming Apple Maps will reroute you off the affected road if it's that bad. On the app I use you can mark a segment of road as closed for reasons such as construction and it will reroute anyone who might use that route. The same app has users mark various road hazards (crazy weather, vehicle on shoulder, roadkill, debris, etc.) with the same "!" mark.

That was the route I described. I don't know if the "!" on your map denotes that I-90 is closed, at least between Erie Pa and Rochester NY. I used to drive that route, but not during winter.

I think it would've indicate that it was closed in the description (or list). It might be a sign that indicate that a highway or street is closed i.e. Do Not Enter sign.

With stories like this, including the NYS Thruway being closed, don't expect any deliveries in the near future. As I noted, the alternate route through Michigan isn't much better.

You know the Canadian route seems shorter and if they could get the bus through the Buffalo area they could probably still deliver that way. You would think the interstates would be a priority or they are not going to be able to get any kind of transport into Buffalo for it's residents like food and supplies for it's stores. With most lake effect snow, concentrated areas get the snowfall and if they could stay away from those areas they would be alright. Most of the lake effect snow should be to the east or south of the great lakes.

If they really wanted to insure they have no issues they could take a southern route. According to this link below there is no snow on the ground in Plattsburg, NY.

http://www.weatherstreet.com/city_snow_depth/12903-Plattsburgh-NY-snow-depth.htm

Now if Plattsburg had the snow then maybe they can't deliver, that seems to be the major issue to me.

You know the Canadian route seems shorter and if they could get the bus through the Buffalo area they could probably still deliver that way. You would think the interstates would be a priority or they are not going to be able to get any kind of transport into Buffalo for it's residents like food and supplies for it's stores. ..

While places like Buffalo (and all of upstate NY) are used to snow, this 6 feet in one day and continuing is even a record for them.

The last weather map I saw on the noon news still had winter storm warnings for the alternate route (I-94 from Benton Harbor MI to Detroit).

A southern route may be possible, but seems to entail going down to I-80.

To BusHunter's point about food supply, they've been reporting today that they are getting more concerned about that and it's getting to a crisis situation because of the highways being closed and nothing able to get through.

Given reports that the football game was moved to Detroit because first responders are otherwise engaged, things must be bad.

I suppose one can also look at these pictures of the Thruway, which are from a Rochester paper.

Given reports that the football game was moved to Detroit because first responders are otherwise engaged, things must be bad.

I suppose one can also look at these pictures of the Thruway, which are from a Rochester paper.

Then they're going to have to worry about possible floods because there were a few supports that it's supposed to be a massive warmup relatively soon into the 60s by some reports I saw earlier today.

Essentially that has nothing to do with the bus itself, but the Clever Device. Sometimes those things don't realize when they are at the end of the route and don't automatically change the sign. Either that or it was consistently misprogrammed.

Sometimes the Clever Devices also are misprogrammed as to exactly where the route is. At times the deviation can be as much as 50 feet, and the system thinks the bus has gone off route, even though it hasn't. Let's say the loop at 95/StL is slightly off, by enough that a bus passing a parked bus goes "off route", then the system loses track and sign stays at 95th/CSU all the way back to the other terminal! Another issue is that on heavily cloudy, rainy days system loses touch with satellites, and GPS "forgets" where it is. This is particularly bad downtown, where for instance a 56 bus arriving at Madison/Michigan loses contact and signs will not change to Jeff Park until contact is re-established, which is usually around Wacker. Clever Devices are at times not so clever, are they?
  • Upvote 2

#7976 and #7930 are new arrivals today on the #3. #7905 is new on the #24. #7902 is also on the #3

Here's a shot of 2 of the new arrivals.

post-304-0-74027300-1417069860_thumb.png

post-304-0-04747700-1417069852_thumb.png

#7902 was a little dirty around the right side of the back window, but it's been sitting around for 7-9 months and we don't know what issue it had to keep it in NY so long. (maybe engine related)

On a sidenote #7905 looked pretty clean on the #24, but I never got to see #7930, something happened to it mid route around Roosevelt NB, I wasn't far from there and could see ambulances at the intersection. Don't know if it was a medical emergency or an accident with a first day bus. The bus was taken out of service. It will be interesting if we see that bus in the next few days or not.

Here's a shot of 2 of the new arrivals.

attachicon.gifcta 7902 a little dirty.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 7976 on 3.PNG

#7902 was a little dirty around the right side of the back window, but it's been sitting around for 7-9 months and we don't know what issue it had to keep it in NY so long. (maybe engine related)

On a sidenote #7905 looked pretty clean on the #24, but I never got to see #7930, something happened to it mid route around Roosevelt NB, I wasn't far from there and could see ambulances at the intersection. Don't know if it was a medical emergency or an accident with a first day bus. The bus was taken out of service. It will be interesting if we see that bus in the next few days or not.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with what you saw, BusHunter. If you saw several ambulances, some accident had to have occurred, and must've been a pretty moderate one if there were a few on scene. Only question is how bad the damage is to the bus to determine it's return time to service(it's pretty much out of the wrapper, so unless a cement truck barrels into it, or a dump truck like 4323, it's a safe bet it will return to service).

#7902 was a little dirty around the right side of the back window, but it's been sitting around for 7-9 months and we don't know what issue it had to keep it in NY so long. (maybe engine related)....

Isn't it possible that it picked up some dirt on Chicago streets? It isn't like the weather has been so great in Chicago starting Monday.

And unless you are the inspector in Plattsburgh, or have a link to the official production list, why do you persist in assuming that Nova doesn't know what it is doing? The delivery was 11 months before your facebook friend said it would happen. Did you ever tell him he was wrong?

Isn't it possible that it picked up some dirt on Chicago streets? It isn't like the weather has been so great in Chicago starting Monday.

And unless you are the inspector in Plattsburgh, or have a link to the official production list, why do you persist in assuming that Nova doesn't know what it is doing? The delivery was 11 months before your facebook friend said it would happen. Did you ever tell him he was wrong?

Only one problem exists with the dirty bus theory. No other bus looks like that. You can see in my picture there's like a smoky soot deposit where I mention it is there. That visual evidence cannot be denied. If the inspector was clearing what buses could come to Chicago then no doubt, something was up with these 2 buses as they are last and Garmon stated #7905 was dirty but never mentioned black soot or road salt as the culprit.

Now I'm not saying Nova bus or any manufacturer is going to build all perfect equipment, but you have to wonder why a bus didn't go into service for 7-9 months after manufacture. To give them credit that would be only there third bus built and first non prototype vehicle ( first bus not sent to CTA headquarters for local inspection in Feb) so there is always a learning curve from the first of any manufacture.

Now I'm not saying Nova bus or any manufacturer is going to build all perfect equipment, but you have to wonder why a bus didn't go into service for 7-9 months after manufacture. To give them credit that would be only there third bus built and first non prototype vehicle ( first bus not sent to CTA headquarters for local inspection in Feb) so there is always a learning curve from the first of any manufacture.

Again you are assuming that the build order corresponds to the VIN put on the shell. Unless you have the production control lists, you don't know that.

I mentioned a long time ago that I saw 7504 delivered at the same time as 771s. sw demanded a picture and I didn't have one.But too bad, that's what I saw. It was still in shrink wrap.

Basically, you have to explain why 7990s came way before many other buses. Unless you are in the production control office, you can't. But keep assuming. All you know is that you or Garmon saw a bus on the street, and Garmon has seen buses outside the South Shops.

Obviously, there was a learning curve, as 7900 was a prototype, and the logjam didn't break until about June. Again, I note, it was around June 2014, not October 2015.

EDIT: With regard to the "soot" to the right of the back window, it looks like the tailpipe is to the top left. If you were trying to make an implication that the engine was smoking, every Pace bus I saw with a smoking problem (like most Orion VIs) had the soot to the left top, where the tailpipe is.

No one is really supposed to post official info on here. I have rosters and bulletins but I can't post them. If you believe #7902 was built after #7999 then that's your belief. I'm not going to argue over your beliefs so that's that. But really if we were on schedule then the 300th bus has to arrive by April. Personally I don't see that happening. So then why are we not on schedule? Because everything is fine and there are no problems according to you.

There are absolutely no new Novas at this time being. I don't know what's going on with #7997 though because it's a lone duck out there and still doesn't have its license plates.

Hmm, I'm wondering what happened to the #7949 - 53 block. But no buses could just be cause it's a holiday week. They have to pay the driving firm to drive a bus from Monday to Friday which means they would have to pay a premium for Thanksgiving. So it's probably a week off. Might be the same for Bombardier. The real test comes next week as it's not a holiday week. If some don't come next week I'd be more concerned. So you think we'll see #8000's before we see all these #7900's show up?

• Upvote 1

Hmm, I'm wondering what happened to the #7949 - 53 block. But no buses could just be cause it's a holiday week. They have to pay the driving firm to drive a bus from Monday to Friday which means they would have to pay a premium for Thanksgiving. So it's probably a week off. Might be the same for Bombardier. The real test comes next week as it's not a holiday week. If some don't come next week I'd be more concerned. So you think we'll see #8000's before we see all these #7900's show up?

I seriously can't answer that question because I'm not in charge of running bus delivery operations across the country. :lol::P I'm somewhat confused about the driving firm and premiums....