7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Has anyone heard of a 7900 being destroyed? I was talking to a driver the other day who told me that a 7900 atwas wrecked by a part timer going down the wrong side of the street. The driver couldn't give me a number I was just wondering if anyone has seen that down by south shops.

That sounds bogus. :P But we can eliminate through process of elimination, there's only 80 buses.

Back in the days when buses had character (and plenty of seats too !)

Well said! I used to think that new look buses were only manufactured with single passenger exit doors vs the dual passenger doors on the Flexible Twin Coach [old look] shown in the pic. When I visited Toronto in 1995 I saw otherwise. I wonder why CTA didn't buy new looks with wider rear doors.

Well of course seats are sacrificed in part because of TAs needing to be ADA compliant and the other part transit buses these days just about all being of low floor designs to eliminate some of the mechanical issues that had the potential to arise with high floor models.

Has anyone heard of a 7900 being destroyed? I was talking to a driver the other day who told me that a 7900 atwas wrecked by a part timer going down the wrong side of the street. The driver couldn't give me a number I was just wondering if anyone has seen that down by south shops.

Well, garmon mentioned on 11/1/14 that #7924 was parked by the fence on the 79th St. Side of I guess South Shops(or 77th). Maybe he can confirm it's status or someone else if they saw this bus on Bustracker or physically in service since that date. Otherwise, if this story is correct and the driver didn't mean a 6400-Series Nova(there were a lot of them retired recently, though none are at 77th, maybe he just mentioned garage talk), then we may very well have at least of temporarily out of service Nova LFS 7900-Series.

Well, garmon mentioned on 11/1/14 that #7924 was parked by the fence on the 79th St. Side of I guess South Shops(or 77th). Maybe he can confirm it's status or someone else if they saw this bus on Bustracker or physically in service since that date. Otherwise, if this story is correct and the driver didn't mean a 6400-Series Nova(there were a lot of them retired recently, though none are at 77th, maybe he just mentioned garage talk), then we may very well have at least of temporarily out of service Nova LFS 7900-Series.

This driver I have known for about 3 years and is usually credible, could have been confused about type of bus. I will inquire next week again when I'm out on the route again.

So then the other 3 at south shops might be available for service except #7999 which seems to hang around the shops. That will probably go into service when an #8000 shows up.

Personally, I haven't seen #7999 yet and the last time I heard about it was when it was at storage on Division St. Why would it be in storage though???

It seems the 7900 buses are becoming more common where I have seen them. Last Wednesday I spotted two consecutive 7900s running on the #8 at Wellington/Halsted. I'm also beginning to see more of them around UIC, again on the #8. Previously I had to look hard for them.

It's not just #8 my friend. It's common on most routes except for #43 and #51.

Woo hoo. For all the images we have of the new 7900-series Nova buses, I believe we have not yet had anybody who actually rode one.

Can't scribe that anymore.

I managed to scrounge a ticket for the third session of the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild's Festival of Barrel Aged Beers. It was at the relatively new UIC Forum @ Halsted & Roosevelt streets.

This involved me riding the Blue Line L to the Grand | Milwaukee station and waiting for a southbound route #8 Halsted bus.

I had checked the pattern of buses on route #8 and noticed a couple of new Novas on the route. But my timing was keenly precise.

I caught bus 7996 at Halsted | Milwaukee | Grand.

I was honestly pleased with the accoutrements on it. The bus emptied out after Randolph (So those passengers were headed for Haymarket Pub & Brewery :D).

Here are photographs of the exterior and interior of 7996.

There was | is one thing with which the Authority will be displeased: Its Ventra® reader was malfunctioning. But this was T0 for me, so it lost no funding.

post-444-0-28231600-1416130232_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-19116500-1416131818_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-57756900-1416131889_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-61795600-1416131957_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-68463900-1416132026_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-34751300-1416132095_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-69907900-1416132161_thumb.jpg

post-444-0-06818700-1416132227_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I only see one #7900 today on the #52A. i wonder what 77th is going to do when they are all #7900's? :P I wonder why they are not running, there's 82 now in service? Is it the operators just don't like them, personally I'm not a fan of tank sneeze guards, but in some areas of the city it might be necessary like on 79th. That has a high concentration of riders and your chances of meeting someone out to do bad things is more likely, but alot of routes are still pretty safe. A funny observation also is that 77th is at 300 buses and they didn't seem to transfer buses. So the way things are going they are not going to retire all the 6400's too soon. It might just work out that FG ends up half #7900 and half #6400 if that is the last garage to get #7900's. Maybe that's why they would get only 150 #7900's because 100 #6400's might stick around.

I only see one #7900 today on the #52A. i wonder what 77th is going to do when they are all #7900's? :P I wonder why they are not running, there's 82 now in service? Is it the operators just don't like them, personally I'm not a fan of tank sneeze guards, but in some areas of the city it might be necessary like on 79th. That has a high concentration of riders and your chances of meeting someone out to do bad things is more likely, but alot of routes are still pretty safe. A funny observation also is that 77th is at 300 buses and they didn't seem to transfer buses. So the way things are going they are not going to retire all the 6400's too soon. It might just work out that FG ends up half #7900 and half #6400 if that is the last garage to get #7900's. Maybe that's why they would get only 150 #7900's because 100 #6400's might stick around.

I don't see anything in the budget that they are increasing bus service (as opposed to increasing L service). All references lately have been to about 1800 buses, not back to 2100, which is about what you are trying to convince us of here. Also, there appears nowhere to store them (unless 77th goes back to about 400 buses from supposedly each garage having about 265).

A jajuan has pointed out, all the sudden you have posted that the rehabs have accelerated. They can't do that unless they have buses to cover the routes, and once that is done about mid 2015, there won't be a reason to keep the overage buses around here.

• Upvote 2

Woo hoo. For all the images we have of the new 7900-series Nova buses, I believe we have not yet had anybody who actually rode one.Can't scribe that anymore.I managed to scrounge a ticket for the third session of the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild's Festival of Barrel Aged Beers. It was at the relatively new UIC Forum @ Halsted & Roosevelt streets.This involved me riding the Blue Line L to the Grand | Milwaukee station and waiting for a southbound route #8 Halsted bus.I had checked the pattern of buses on route #8 and noticed a couple of new Novas on the route. But my timing was keenly precise.I caught bus 7996 at Halsted | Milwaukee | Grand.I was honestly pleased with the accoutrements on it. The bus emptied out after Randolph (So those passengers were headed for Haymarket Pub & Brewery :D).Here are photographs of the exterior and interior of 7996.There was | is one thing with which the Authority will be displeased: Its Ventra® reader was malfunctioning. But this was T0 for me, so it lost no funding.

Great pics but it's a lot of people on here who have rode one with pics included, bushunter was the 1st person to post he rode them when they were at Chicago garage. He had pics and video footage. I myself rode them as well as Garmon who also took pics which are actually on the 7900 roster page lol so you're not the only one just the latest one to do it.

8000 is here.https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7151/6815660963_d069f9391f_b.jpg An out of season Aprils Fools Joke

I did see 8000 on I-90 EB today, presumably heading toward the I-294 interchange to go to 77th. I got a video of it here...

Disclaimer: I always seen these done, and with mikeymc77 doing a fool job, I needed to do one as well with a popular theme... :lol:

I did see 8000 on I-90 EB today, presumably heading toward the I-294 interchange to go to 77th. I got a video of it here...

Disclaimer: I always seen these done, and with mikeymc77 doing a fool job, I needed to do one as well with a popular theme... :lol:

Strange, since New York is east of Chicago. Next time, try to be more consistent with the hoax.