Annual CTA Holiday Train

sw4400

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

there will be i think 1 train (2 cars) or 2 trains (4 cars) 

I was thinking in terms they would have to run 3 or 4 trains. 2 non revenue (holiday) two revenue. They could always do something they havent ever done. Run a 4 car holiday train and just have the one non revenue train and the regular skokie service behind it. 

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I was thinking in terms they would have to run 3 or 4 trains. 2 non revenue (holiday) two revenue. They could always do something they havent ever done. Run a 4 car holiday train and just have the one non revenue train and the regular skokie service behind it. 

they might run 4 cars tbh since it ain’t gonna stop no where 

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Run a 4 car holiday train and just have the one non revenue train and the regular skokie service behind it. 

1. Skokie Swift cannot berth 4 cars (unless at Oakton)

2. If people find out that this Holiday Train is boarding, expect crowds quick.  Because that's how social media works.  

3.  There's no point to run an extra HT deuce that's out of service if you have a 4 car HT in service.  

4. There's only going to be one pair running anyway because CTA does not want to tie up the railroad running pointless amounts of out of service trains.  

34 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

1. Skokie Swift cannot berth 4 cars (unless at Oakton)

2. If people find out that this Holiday Train is boarding, expect crowds quick.  Because that's how social media works.  

3.  There's no point to run an extra HT deuce that's out of service if you have a 4 car HT in service.  

4. There's only going to be one pair running anyway because CTA does not want to tie up the railroad running pointless amounts of out of service trains.  

I said a non revenue 4 car train. Who said it was in service? 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest ChicagoRail

Excuse me if I missed something, but I'm curious as to how the stations on the Purple Line can support the Holiday Train with 6 + 1 cars if the stations can only support 6 cars.

6 minutes ago, ChicagoRail said:

Excuse me if I missed something, but I'm curious as to how the stations on the Purple Line can support the Holiday Train with 6 + 1 cars if the stations can only support 6 cars.

I guess it depends on how and when the Purple Line is served.  If it's off peak or a weekend,  omly 4 cars plus the Santa car would be needed.  That would fit the stations.  The other possibility is to "cut out " the doors of the last two cars .  That still gives you 4 cars for passenger service.   The plus 1 isn't for passengers so its a perfect barrier to help keep passengers from the rear two cars.  I would suppose this option would make it feasible to run on Purple Line Express service.  The first option i mentioned is probably how the Yellow Line gets Holiday train service. 

Guest ChicagoRail
7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I guess it depends on how and when the Purple Line is served.  If it's off peak or a weekend,  omly 4 cars plus the Santa car would be needed.  That would fit the stations.  The other possibility is to "cut out " the doors of the last two cars .  That still gives you 4 cars for passenger service.   The plus 1 isn't for passengers so its a perfect barrier to help keep passengers from the rear two cars.  I would suppose this option would make it feasible to run on Purple Line Express service.  The first option i mentioned is probably how the Yellow Line gets Holiday train service. 

Thanks.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Busjack said:

I may have forgotten, but what's the difference between a Holiday Train with Santa and the Elves'  Workshop  Train?  Thanks. 

The elves train is very much similar to the Holiday Train, just no flatcar and elves in the cars to greet passengers. The train was made due to overcrowding with the Holiday Train... guessing the CTA annulled it now, maybe due to Covid-19 or lack of employees to run it....FjDkuskXEAI4EEA.thumb.jpg.ccfc83691a5dd77193c5ebb9fd5d7d51.jpg

• Upvote 1