2014 CTA Holiday Bus

Kevin

They usually do about once every 15 minutes, as indicated (also on the visual screen). I don't know if that is a "customer service" feature, in case you want to rat on the driver, or to tell lost and found on what bus you lost your diamond tiara.

Have you been on a bus recently? I've been on several for trips of 30+ minutes, and no run numbers are announced or displayed on the screen inside the bus. Just the date & time and the next stop. There are audible announcements about priority seating, entering and exiting the bus, etc...., but that's it.

They must've stopped displaying and mentioning run numbers on the interior screen of buses for some reason.

Have you been on a bus recently? I've been on several for trips of 30+ minutes, and no run numbers are announced or displayed on the screen inside the bus. Just the date & time and the next stop. There are audible announcements about priority seating, entering and exiting the bus, etc...., but that's it.

They must've stopped displaying and mentioning run numbers on the interior screen of buses for some reason.

If they did, they did. My memory of more ancient events seems better than of more recent ones.

Are they still announcing that violators WILL be arrested?

Most times the run number is only displayed when driver logs on for first time at the start of the route. Also when a driver gets relieved the new drivers run number appears.. The run number cycles at least 3 times both at logon and when (and if) a relief occurs. I have never heard a run number be announced on bus only on display.

Most times the run number is only displayed when driver logs on for first time at the start of the route. The run number cycles at least 3 times. I have never heard a run number be announced on bus.

They did a few years back... maybe Operators complained about it, or the Union complained to CTA about it, and they decided not to keep it on the interior announcement screen.

They still display the run numbers on the announcement screens during operator relief situations as noted by ajm522. They do show it on the display outside of that, but you're correct that it's extremely rare these days compared to past instances.

• Upvote 1

The problem with run numbers, at least on the L, is more how Mr. CTA says the run numbers than if he says them. I believe that the run number announcements are chunks of words he says. For example, run 607 isn't one recording that says "six hundred and 7" but a string of multiple recordings that say "Six Oh Seven". I use run 607 because when Mr. CTA says it on the 5000s, you can tell that it is multiple recordings.

I'm assuming that if the Holiday Bus uses run numbers that sw4400 suggested, Mr. CTA will butcher the run numbers like the above example.

Anyways, the bus looks amazing. I can't wait to see photos from forum members when they get a chance to see the bus!

The problem with run numbers, at least on the L, is more how Mr. CTA says the run numbers than if he says them. I believe that the run number announcements are chunks of words he says. For example, run 607 isn't one recording that says "six hundred and 7" but a string of multiple recordings that say "Six Oh Seven". I use run 607 because when Mr. CTA says it on the 5000s, you can tell that it is multiple recordings.

I'm assuming that if the Holiday Bus uses run numbers that sw4400 suggested, Mr. CTA will butcher the run numbers like the above example.

Anyways, the bus looks amazing. I can't wait to see photos from forum members when they get a chance to see the bus!

The days on the 22 creates opportunities for me since I live a couple blocks off that route. :lol:

We discussed before, in connection with stuff like "right" missing from "Doors open on the right at..." that that's exactly how it is done. It is a lot easier to translate something like the text string for 7412 into 4 sound files instead of having a single sound file for each of the possible run numbers.

There is, of course, the debate whether 607 really means six hundred and 7, or it is merely the 7th run that pulls into 63rd and Racine. What's the correct diction for zip codes, especially since the first 3 digits (606) indicate the city or sorting center?

We discussed before, in connection with stuff like "right" missing from "Doors open on the right at..." that that's exactly how it is done. It is a lot easier to translate something like the text string for 7412 into 4 sound files instead of having a single sound file for each of the possible run numbers...

Exactly. Though with my example, I was trying to point out potential problems with the Holiday Bus run numbers, though also brought up is the big question "will the public hear the run number?". Again, hopefully fellow forum members will find out.

Stay tuned folks!

When I rode the Holiday Train my one and only year a few years back(looking like I may not be able to ride/photograph either the bus or train due to work schedule this holiday season.... :( ), the Train Tracker had the Holiday Train labeled Run #1225.

When I rode the Holiday Train my one and only year a few years back(looking like I may not be able to ride/photograph either the bus or train due to work schedule this holiday season.... :( ), the Train Tracker had the Holiday Train labeled Run #1225.

Yup, one of the best ways to root it out! It's possible (remember run #2200?).

They still display the run numbers on the announcement screens during operator relief situations as noted by ajm522. They do show it on the display outside of that, but you're correct that it's extremely rare these days compared to past instances.

Run numbers were definitely announced up to last spring. I remember being on a Green Line & Lee Crooks [that's Mr. CTA from Milwaukee] saying, "This is Green Line Run 7", which is from 63rd & Cottage.

It would also be on the display screen on a 5000.

On the buses, it used to be announced & shown on the screen at least twice on a 22 from the Loop to Devon.

Now, nothing, just the number in the right front window.

Run numbers were definitely announced up to last spring. I remember being on a Green Line & Lee Crooks [that's Mr. CTA from Milwaukee] saying, "This is Green Line Run 7", which is from 63rd & Cottage.

It would also be on the display screen on a 5000.

On the buses, it used to be announced & shown on the screen at least twice on a 22 from the Loop to Devon.

Now, nothing, just the number in the right front window.

On the buses it is still shown. Just mostly when there is an exchange of operators at a relief point or some other time an operator would need to log in.

I was looking again at the pictures of this bus. It would appear they removed the seats in the entire galley area. (the area above the stairs) You can follow the pictures looking at the back window at the rear of "Santa's Den", as they call it, the den seems to be not flush with the rear interior and it starts midway through the back window. (maybe there's a ventilation/heat issue) then if you look at the candy stripped area in front of it that starts the fireplace area and you can barely see the yellow pole that denotes a back door caution grab pole and they only have those at the doors. They mentioned Xmas trees and Xmas presents (presents shown in pics) as part of the den. So we must be missing the trees in the pics at the front left galley area.

So in saying that, this bus will only have seating in front of the back door and across from it, so in a way it will act as a 40 footer as far as seating, so hopefully they run these as extras or I think it will be majorly overcrowded.

I did get to see it at the parade last week and they have this red santa's express banner covering the entire rear area above the tail lights, so I guess they are referring to this as the Santa's Express like they are the train. Too bad they couldn't add a color destination sign that would be cool.

On the buses it is still shown. Just mostly when there is an exchange of operators at a relief point or some other time an operator would need to log in.

But I don't see the run numbers on the large, red LED Clever Devices screen, just the driver's screen above the windshield.

I find the number of minutes early or late fascinating, especially when a driver deliberately dogs it to be late. I'm genuinely baffled why the CTA isn't using this info to adjust run times & the number of buses assigned to each route.

And once again, I must note, that the removal of the street corner supervisors from the city, has made it almost impossible for bunched buses to be flipped back to improve service.

Last Saturday, Nov. 22 at about 7:30 PM, Bustracker showed that there wasn't a single NB 22 from North Ave to Howard! But there were numerous SB 22s, a couple of 151s sitting at the Clark/Arthur terminal along with a number of NB 151s & 36 heading there, any one of which could have been turned to 22 & sent north on Clark to fix that mess.

I saw groups of people waiting for the SB 22 on several street corners while walking & they were still there waiting when going back. They had 45 minute waits for the bus at an absolute minimum. The display on the Lunt/Clark shelter had "No times listed, as when there's a 30+ minute wait, no times are ever listed.

The 22 was & is one of the Top Five worst CTA routes!

Exactly what were they doing at the secret control center that evening.

I find the number of minutes early or late fascinating, especially when a driver deliberately dogs it to be late. I'm genuinely baffled why the CTA isn't using this info to adjust run times & the number of buses assigned to each route.

The dogging is explainable. The usual service standard is no more than 1 minute early or 5 minutes late at a time point. Maybe CTA is enforcing the -1 or +5 throughout the trip, since you say it is on the driver's Clever Device. Others have said that affects whether a bus may leapfrog.

Lack of adjustment is less explainable. A bunch of the Pace notices about schedules being adjusted by a couple of minutes is because the actual trip times do not correspond to the schedule, and in a few cases are missing the connection with Metra. On the other hand, Pace usually puts enough "recovery time" in its schedules. For instance, a bus you think is 3 minutes late, still sits for 5 minutes at the next timepoint. Maybe the tighter interval between CTA buses,compared to most Pace buses being on longer intervals (except routes like 352) makes it harder to incorporate recovery time.

What they are doing at the secret control center is a mystery, although clearly they lied to WTTW that they had taken care of the bus bunching problem. However, page 16 of the 2015 budget says:

The CTA has also begun the implementation of a new Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software system that will allow the CTA to track buses in real-time to improve the efficiency and reliability of bus operations for customers.

We'll have to see if that actually ameliorates the problem, or is just more expensive smoke.

But I don't see the run numbers on the large, red LED Clever Devices screen, just the driver's screen above the windshield.

And once again, I must note, that the removal of the street corner supervisors from the city, has made it almost impossible for bunched buses to be flipped back to improve service.

Last Saturday, Nov. 22 at about 7:30 PM, Bustracker showed that there wasn't a single NB 22 from North Ave to Howard! But there were numerous SB 22s, a couple of 151s sitting at the Clark/Arthur terminal along with a number of NB 151s & 36 heading there, any one of which could have been turned to 22 & sent north on Clark to fix that mess.

I saw groups of people waiting for the SB 22 on several street corners while walking & they were still there waiting when going back. They had 45 minute waits for the bus at an absolute minimum. The display on the Lunt/Clark shelter had "No times listed, as when there's a 30+ minute wait, no times are ever listed.

The 22 was & is one of the Top Five worst CTA routes!

It's still there. You just have to watch for it. I rode bus 4152 this morning on the #22. The operator who had the bus when I boarded was doing run P712. He got relieved by an operator who had run P213. How did I know that without ever seeing the run number box again after leaving since I exited at the rear door? "RUN: P213" flashed on the red Clever Devices screen for about a minute as part of the announcement screen's cycling through the current stop and time while the bus was sitting at Foster through the operator exchange.

As for the Holiday Bus, to bring myself back on topic, I see they reupholstered the seats that are available to customers. Some red and some with little snowmen. I don't think they actually removed the rear seats where Santa's Den is placed. From the looks of what I saw in other photos, it appears they fitted the components that comprise the Den directly over the seats. I could be wrong though admittedly since the wrap around the bus makes it hard to see from the outside if the seats are still there in the rear section of the bus. And if they are scheduling this in a way similar to the Holiday train, it's quite likely the bus will is getting scheduled as an extra on the different routes it will serve during this Christmas season.

If you read the list on the first page you would already know that.

Nice snarky post, bushunter. :o

The list of eliminated buses is on the second page (#41). After glimpsing the list of selected numbers on the first page, I hit the 'more reply options' and was catapulted past that reply.