CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

31 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That (per Siemens) seems more concerned with maintaining proper service intervals than hitting the correct platform berthing marker.

True, although the Washington, DC system calls for their CBTC to be able to stop a train within the same 6-foot space every time. Bombardier's automatic monorail/people-mover system stops within 12cm ever time if I remember correctly (usually so it can line up with platform doors).

2 minutes ago, BVERailer said:

At random times, the trains will just slow down and stop, along with the alerter going off.  How do I fix?

bandicam 2016-04-16 20-05-51-614.mp4

It's because you're going over the speed limit. If the ATC alert sounds you have to acknowledge it by applying max service brake until you get back under the speed limit. If you don't acknowledge it within 2.5 seconds, it will immediately apply max service brakes until the train reaches 2 MPH or less, and you acknowledge it by moving the throttle to Max Service Brake.

This is standard CTA safety system behavior to prevent derailments, collisions, and to ensure the driver is paying attention.

3 hours ago, briman94 said:

New video! 3200-series from Midway to Kimball. Nothing that new

Besides a lack of low flying aircraft and bridge over 55th St. B| , why, when the ATC sounds like crazy at about 2:00, the aspect stays green and the speedometer seems unaffected?

9 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Besides a lack of low flying aircraft and bridge over 55th St. B| , why, when the ATC sounds like crazy at about 2:00, the aspect stays green and the speedometer seems unaffected?

I went overspeed too long without applying the brakes. Something stole the focus of the simulator window and I couldn't click back to it soon enough :P That's why it kept beeping down to 0MPH instead of beeping every 4 seconds like normal. I think that happened 3 times in the video but that's still less than I've encountered on a real Brown Line ride before xD 

Just now, Busjack said:

But the question still is why the aspect did not go to red or the speedometer to 0.

I don't think it does if you trip the overspeed timer. It didn't say anything about that that I could find in the 7000s RFP, but if the behavior is different than what's implemented just let me know with as much detail as possible and I can fix it.

21 minutes ago, briman94 said:

I don't think it does if you trip the overspeed timer. It didn't say anything about that that I could find in the 7000s RFP, but if the behavior is different than what's implemented just let me know with as much detail as possible and I can fix it.

Maybe you have it correct, but it didn't seem so.

Around here, the little arrow is going down, but the "thermometer "is at 35, but the light is green (which is essentially what I am questioning, although I can't put my finger on the rule book).

train.jpg

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Maybe you have it correct, but it didn't seem so.

Around here, the little arrow is going down, but the "thermometer "is at 35, but the light is green (which is essentially what I am questioning, although I can't put my finger on the rule book).

Ah. The current signal block is green, so the aspect displays green. The track's permitted speed is 35 MPH, so it displays that too, but I accelerated past 35 MPH (you can accelerate past the permitted speed in all series except 5000 and 7000) and didn't apply the brakes soon enough (couldn't click back to the simulator in time) so it gave me a penalty stop.

I put a post up in the Chicago L Facebook group to see if any drivers can clarify the behavior for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Has the installer been tested on Windows 10? I installed the route on my desktop with no problems at all, and it runs Windows 7. However when I opened up the installer on my Windows 10 laptop, it crashed before I could get it ready. It was minor though, as I successfully installed the route after opening the program again. In addition, after downloading the files in the installer, it said the installation was completed successfully (both on laptop and desktop) even though it was still unpacking files. :ph34r:

How is development so far?

6 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Has the installer been tested on Windows 10? I installed the route on my desktop with no problems at all, and it runs Windows 7. However when I opened up the installer on my Windows 10 laptop, it crashed before I could get it ready. It was minor though, as I successfully installed the route after opening the program again. In addition, after downloading the files in the installer, it said the installation was completed successfully (both on laptop and desktop) even though it was still unpacking files. :ph34r:

How is development so far?

I developed the installer on Windows 10, so it should work. I don't have Train Simulator on my Win10 tablet, but it downloaded and installed the files successfully. You may need to update .Net Framework for it to run correctly. As for it saying "completed successfully" before unpacking, that's strange...I can take a look at it. I'm not sure why that'd happen but I can look into it.

In terms of route development, I haven't been working on the route a ton because I've been playing around with the Automatic People Mover sub-project, but I have gotten the physics on the 3200- and 5000-series tweaked to be almost perfect now. I plan on working on the route again soon.

1 hour ago, briman94 said:

I developed the installer on Windows 10, so it should work. I don't have Train Simulator on my Win10 tablet, but it downloaded and installed the files successfully. You may need to update .Net Framework for it to run correctly. As for it saying "completed successfully" before unpacking, that's strange...I can take a look at it. I'm not sure why that'd happen but I can look into it.

In terms of route development, I haven't been working on the route a ton because I've been playing around with the Automatic People Mover sub-project, but I have gotten the physics on the 3200- and 5000-series tweaked to be almost perfect now. I plan on working on the route again soon.

Thanks for the info. I thought I'd bring it to your attention. As I've already successfully installed the route, I don't see the crashing as a big problem yet.

I've also noticed that North/Clybourn has non-functional platform screen doors. It was fun trying to line my train up to them! If you'd like, I can continue making suggestions as you develop the project further.

4 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Thanks for the info. I thought I'd bring it to your attention. As I've already successfully installed the route, I don't see the crashing as a big problem yet.

I've also noticed that North/Clybourn has non-functional platform screen doors. It was fun trying to line my train up to them! If you'd like, I can continue making suggestions as you develop the project further.

They are functional, but only if you're berthed *perfectly* and the 5000s might be too long. Those are there temporarily for the APM vehicle (haven't moved them to the Scenario-specific scenery yet like I have for the brown line stations)

Edit: and yes I'd love suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working the last few days on completely recreating the model for the 5000s (and eventually the 3200s, once I migrate it to that vehicle). It's much smoother, higher-def, more accurate, cleaner, etc. and looks gorgeous if I do say so myself. Here's a video:

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, briman94 said:

I've been working the last few days on completely recreating the model for the 5000s (and eventually the 3200s, once I migrate it to that vehicle). It's much smoother, higher-def, more accurate, cleaner, etc. and looks gorgeous if I do say so myself. Here's a video:

It's looking better.... exterior of the 5000's are improved. The grade-level neighborhood for the Brown Line is improved, but there is room for improvement...

-Grade Crossings(there are some missing between Kimball and Rockwell.... the ones before the stations).

Otherwise, looking good..... :) 

51 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

It's looking better.... exterior of the 5000's are improved. The grade-level neighborhood for the Brown Line is improved, but there is room for improvement...

-Grade Crossings(there are some missing between Kimball and Rockwell.... the ones before the stations).

Otherwise, looking good..... :) 

I haven't touched the route in ages :P I've been more focused on the vehicles in recent months. I'm about to add berth markers to the rest of the route today, though.

17 minutes ago, BVERailer said:

Are you making the Blue Line? That is by FAR my favorite CTA line, and I would really like to try it out.

As the first post says, yes, I will eventually be creating every line on the system. I might even create fictional lines or extensions after that. It's all a matter of time; I'm going to be graduating college soon and hopefully getting a full-time job so I can't make any promises on when anything might get finished.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The project has kinda been on the back burner as of recently. I've had a lot of other work and hobby projects going on lately, and my MacBook (the only computer I own that can run Train Sim) is on its last legs. I don't work at my school anymore (and I graduated) so I can't use my school's hardware like I was doing before, so I might have to wait until I can afford a new computer before I make any more serious progress.