CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

5 hours ago, CK257 said:

Hello,  Was super excited to see that you are developing a CTA Train Sim.  Where can we purchase a copy?

It's an add-on for the game Train Simulator by Dovetail Games. This game is most likely available from the Steam engine. You'll then have to get the patch for it here(get the latest patch, as he's constantly revising it since it's a work-in-progress).

Best person to contact about how to get the files to where they need to go when you download the patch is @briman94, as he's the creator of the game. I think it involves some unzipping and moving when you download his add-on, but he can better guide you. Doesn't look like he's been on for a bit, though(last sign-in November 15th), but I'm sure a few of our chitransit.org members might've downloaded the game and played it, and they can also help you with where to put the files once you download them.

10 hours ago, CK257 said:

Hello,  Was super excited to see that you are developing a CTA Train Sim.  Where can we purchase a copy?

Yeah as mentioned, you need to buy the Train Simulator base game from the Steam game engine. After that the CTA add-on is available from Briman94's webpage. His links for the latest updates should be available at the beginning of this particular thread.

Thank you everyone for the additional information!  I'm new to forums, so do not yet know how to reply to each of you individually.  But wanted to thank you for the information.  I just ordered Dovetail Train Simulator 2017 Edition (PC DVD), will the CTA add in work on this version? Or do I need to order the steam version mentioned above.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, CK257 said:

Thank you everyone for the additional information!  I'm new to forums, so do not yet know how to reply to each of you individually.  But wanted to thank you for the information.  I just ordered Dovetail Train Simulator 2017 Edition (PC DVD), will the CTA add in work on this version? Or do I need to order the steam version mentioned above.  Thank you!

I don't think it should matter, but since he mentions Train Simulator 2015, I can't be sure. @briman94 should be the best one who could answer whether TS 2017 will work with his files, which he made for TS 2015.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:55 AM, CK257 said:

The only problem I'm thinking of with the DVD version is the install location. Steam has it's version of Train Simulator in its own folders, but I'm not sure about the physical copy. As long as you can find out where the files are, you should be good, as each "update" of Train Simulator isn't really groundbreaking. They just seem to throw in some new routes and tweak the interface every year. :P

4 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The only problem I'm thinking of with the DVD version is the install location. Steam has it's version of Train Simulator in its own folders, but I'm not sure about the physical copy. As long as you can find out where the files are, you should be good, as each "update" of Train Simulator isn't really groundbreaking. They just seem to throw in some new routes and tweak the interface every year. :P

I don't know @MTRSP1900-CTA3200..... this part of briman's instructions(directly quoted from Page 1) may be an issue for TS 2017....

Installation instructions:

All routes require the New York - New Haven route. The old routes require the London - Brighton route. The new route requires the "Racetrack - Metra BNSF" route. Some of these routes should both be included in Train Simulator 2015 by default, and some are available in the Train Simulator DLC shop.

Now if you're getting TS 2017 in a PC-DVD version, will it have these routes that briman is talking about, as usually producers of games try to make new levels for their new versions, which means that they usually have to remove some of the older levels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 2:23 PM, sw4400 said:

I don't know @MTRSP1900-CTA3200..... this part of briman's instructions(directly quoted from Page 1) may be an issue for TS 2017....

Installation instructions:

All routes require the New York - New Haven route. The old routes require the London - Brighton route. The new route requires the "Racetrack - Metra BNSF" route. Some of these routes should both be included in Train Simulator 2015 by default, and some are available in the Train Simulator DLC shop.

Now if you're getting TS 2017 in a PC-DVD version, will it have these routes that briman is talking about, as usually producers of games try to make new levels for their new versions, which means that they usually have to remove some of the older levels.

It should work for TS2017. Like @MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said, there's nothing groundbreaking about the annual updates. The game functions the same way. All there is, is an upade to the interface a lot of times, adding of routes when applicable and tweaks here and there. I purchased Train SImulator when it was still the TS2016 version and have routes that are from TS2014 and TS2015. They all worked just fine in TS2016 with no problems. Since I bought the game off Steam, it automatically updated to TS2017, and all my routes that I downloaded for free or bought as paid DLC (downloadable content) work exactly the same as before except for the graphics for some being a bit sharper than they previously were. So Briman's CTA routes should work as long as @CK257 has the New York-New Have route installed for what @briman94 currently has available on his page, which I think right now are only the new routes. The old routes no longer appear to be available for download. Even though he bought the disc version of the base game, CK257 is probably still going to need a Steam account since the vast majority of Train Simulator routes are downloadable mainly through Steam and overwhelmingly set up to automatically use the Steam version Train Simulator folder structure for the default download destination in their file string much like is the case with OMSI 2 for those bus simulation fans on the forum.

25 minutes ago, BVERailer said:

How do I turn off the alerter? It always stops me when it goes off, and there's no way of turning it off. Plus, that "BEEEEEEEEEEP" sound is really freakin annoying.

If you read the first post you'll see that the beeping means you need to slow down. It won't stop you if you start braking within 2.5 seconds of it going off. It will allow you to take power again once you're under the speed limit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BVERailer said:

How do I turn off the alerter? It always stops me when it goes off, and there's no way of turning it off. Plus, that "BEEEEEEEEEEP" sound is really freakin annoying.

1 hour ago, briman94 said:

If you read the first post you'll see that the beeping means you need to slow down. It won't stop you if you start braking within 2.5 seconds of it going off. It will allow you to take power again once you're under the speed limit.

If you want to simulate being a Rail Operator for the CTA, that sound is a part of your daily life. Along with high-pitched toots for horns and Mr. CTA with his canned announcements and alerts for delays of trains. Something maybe briman can bring to a future update once he has the routes and backgrounds all completed.

5 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

If you want to simulate being a Rail Operator for the CTA, that sound is a part of your daily life. Along with high-pitched toots for horns and Mr. CTA with his canned announcements and alerts for delays of trains. Something maybe briman can bring to a future update once he has the routes and backgrounds all completed.

Such as "O'Hare is next. The balcony is as far as this train is going,"

That's only going to work for about another 6 years until the 7000 series cars with the yard positioning system (or whatever they were mumbling about at the Board Meeting) take over all service on the Blue Line.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Such as "O'Hare is next. The balcony is as far as this train is going,"

That's only going to work for about another 6 years until the 7000 series cars with the yard positioning system (or whatever they were mumbling about at the Board Meeting) take over all service on the Blue Line.

They have a new sound in the Operators cab when the train is at the end of the line, in light of the Blue Line incident now..... keeps the Operators up to stop the train. ;)xD

21 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

They have a new sound in the Operators cab when the train is at the end of the line, in light of the Blue Line incident now..... keeps the Operators up to stop the train

That's more for the train horn when the train approaches Eastwood and Kedzie.

I was thinking more that great Chicago [Transit Authority]* hit, "Twenty Five or Six to Four," except it happened at twenty five or six to three.

*Note the comment there "One thing that had changed was the band's name, which was shortened to simply Chicago to avoid any potential litigious situations from the city of Chicago's transportation department -- which claimed the name as proprietary property."

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone else get this message when trying to get on Brimans website?

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Any one new a fix to this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jack43 said:

Anyone else get this message when trying to get on Brimans website?

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Any one new a fix to this?

I believe Briman stopped working on his project and when he did took the website down.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, trainman8119 said:

I believe Briman stopped working on his project and when he did took the website down.

Does anyone have the files for it? or do we need to start from scratch? We should also start on a Metra, too.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, cat1554 said:

Does anyone have the files for it? or do we need to start from scratch? We should also start on a Metra, too.

I'll swap the download link in the first post to a link to the source files in a bit. Some day I'd really like to continue the project, but I've gotten involved with so many other projects lately that until I finish some of them, I won't have much time for this one.

If anyone here wants to help contribute to this, and is familiar with how to contribute to a GitHub project, I would definitely welcome additional help, although multi-person collaboration on RailWorks projects is not the easiest task in existence. 

EDIT: The source is uploading now and the first post has been updated with links. Hopefully some other people can help out with the project! I still hope to return to it some day.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, briman94 said:

I'll swap the download link in the first post to a link to the source files in a bit. Some day I'd really like to continue the project, but I've gotten involved with so many other projects lately that until I finish some of them, I won't have much time for this one.

If anyone here wants to help contribute to this, and is familiar with how to contribute to a GitHub project, I would definitely welcome additional help, although multi-person collaboration on RailWorks projects is not the easiest task in existence. 

EDIT: The source is uploading now and the first post has been updated with links. Hopefully some other people can help out with the project! I still hope to return to it some day.

Thanks! Also hope to see you more active on here when possible. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi, I downloaded the cta files for train simulator 2016. However when I go into the game using the routes and trains, Their is no sound and no passengers. The tracks are not their either along with others things. the doors don't open. Can you please tell me how to fix this.

• 8 months later...

Hi. I am a railfan from NYC and since I have downloaded this I have always wondered how to make trains on this game. All I need to know is what programs you used to create this so I can potentially make NYC subway content for TS2021. I have 3D Design down and I know that. I just need to know the programming. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello, everyone. For those of you who play Train Simulator 2021 and have the free CTA map, by any chance do anyone of you have the sounds working in your game? Right now when you try to download the map, the sounds are corrupted resulting in a silent train. Please contact me if you have the working sound files as it would really help me and a group of people fix up this map and possibly update it and make it better. Thanks

Screenshot_20201204-113729_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 1