5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Those are 2400s. I included only 2600s and 3200s in my previous post. Different series.

So you are saying #2401-#2424, #2893 - #2898, #3441-#3444 are all work cars. Still they would need new work cars like I stated before unless they plan on using 4 cars only(for 3 or 4 months) for work cars. Unless they keep the #2400 work cars, but that is doubtful. Last I saw of the Santa cars was on the Yellow line mid October.

It's my opinion, like the Ironworkers had retired Flyers, TMC's and now Flxibles as Workbuses for their jobs, so too shall the Rail Workers have 2401-2424 for Work Train service even after retirement of the 2400's from revenue service. When the 2600's are fully retired, 2401-2424 will be retired fully and 2891-2898 plus a few more selected in good enough condition will become the next set of Work Train cars. Then following retirement of the 3200's sometime around 2016(25 year service life min.), 2891-2898 and any additionals on Work Train service will be retired fully and 3441-3444, plus a few more selected in good enough condition will become the next set of Work Train cars.

What I want to know is, now that the 5000's are officially in revenu service on the Pink Line will they also run 6 car trains now cuase I been hearing alot of reports of 6 car consists on the pink Line.

Haven't seen any so far. They could use them at rush hour. I had to climb through 4 standing bodies at the wheelchair position to get off one day. I've been hearing alot of customers saying they don't like those seats either. One rider said "I hope they don't get anymore of these". Hated to tell him the bad news. :lol: From what I see the trains tend to fill up fast and most riders end up standing. You know how most standees hang around the doors, well by the wheelchair position you can get deep thick pockets of standing riders. Probably a sardine can wrap would be a fitting addition to these cars. Anyone interested? :lol:

Maybe they wouldn't HAVE to be but they most likely would want the new cars on the ends like with the 2200/2600 combos.

While we don't know for sure whether the 3200s will end up on the Blue Line, I do question whether there will have to be a mass training for operators since the 3200s and the 2600s have different controls and levers for operation.

With the exception of the 3200-series cars, the 2600-series cars have been on all lines with the exception of one, so no training would be needed for those cars.

A little table might be more sufficent...

2600-Series Past & Present Assignments

Red(Presently Assigned)

Blue(Presently Assigned)

Brown(Past Assigned, presently if you count 3458(ex-3032))

Green(Past Assigned, reports of 2600's on Green Line)

Orange(Never Assigned to my knowledge)

Purple(Presently Assigned)

Pink(Presently Assigned)

Yellow(Presently Assigned)

3200-Series Past & Present Assignments

Red(Past Assigned, train of 8 cars assigned as of 3/17/03)

Blue(Never Assigned to my knowledge)

Brown(Presently Assigned)

Green(Never Assigned to my knowledge, reports of 3200's on Green Line)

Orange(Presently Assigned)

Purple(Past Assigned)

Pink(Never Assigned)

Yellow(Past Assigned)

Maybe they wouldn't HAVE to be but they most likely would want the new cars on the ends like with the 2200/2600 combos.

The 2200s are relegated to the belly of the Blue Line trains for a very specific reason (not age), which does not apply to any other cars in the fleet.

It's actually an operational headache to have to guarantee that the 2200s are always in the middle of an eight-car consist, and if it weren't for that one specific reason (that is, the 2200s are not accessible for ADA purposes, and they want the end cars to be accessible), then you'd almost definitely see 2200s thrown randomly amongst the trains.

There's no preference to have new or newer cars (and 17-year-old 3200s don't really qualify as "new") on the ends.

With the exception of the 3200-series cars, the 2600-series cars have been on all lines with the exception of one, so no training would be needed for those cars.

A little table might be more sufficent...

2600-Series Past & Present Assignments

Red(Presently Assigned)

Blue(Presently Assigned)

Brown(Past Assigned, presently if you count 3458(ex-3032))

Green(Past Assigned, reports of 2600's on Green Line)

Orange(Never Assigned to my knowledge)

Purple(Presently Assigned)

Pink(Presently Assigned)

Yellow(Presently Assigned)

3200-Series Past & Present Assignments

Red(Past Assigned, train of 8 cars assigned as of 3/17/03)

Blue(Never Assigned to my knowledge)

Brown(Presently Assigned)

Green(Never Assigned to my knowledge, reports of 3200's on Green Line)

Orange(Presently Assigned)

Purple(Past Assigned)

Pink(Never Assigned)

Yellow(Past Assigned)

Green Line had 3200's. They never had signs and used the 'EXPRESS' signage. I recall passing a few 2600's on the Orange Line on one or two occasions (may have been the Brownage run because there were 2600's on there not too long ago either). Also Red Line had 3200's after 2005 when the Sox won the world series for a bit. A whole set of 3200's were wrapped to help celebrate.

The 2200s are relegated to the belly of the Blue Line trains for a very specific reason (not age), which does not apply to any other cars in the fleet.

It's actually an operational headache to have to guarantee that the 2200s are always in the middle of an eight-car consist, and if it weren't for that one specific reason (that is, the 2200s are not accessible for ADA purposes, and they want the end cars to be accessible), then you'd almost definitely see 2200s thrown randomly amongst the trains.

There's no preference to have new or newer cars (and 17-year-old 3200s don't really qualify as "new") on the ends.

Knew the ADA thing was a part of the factor too. Just thought age would be too just like in the "where are the NOVAs" thread where we were discussing how age was a possible factor for them being benched in the OWL hours.

Jut out of curiousity, how many full sets of 5000's are actually in service on the Pink Line now? I've seen them once when passing under on the 14.

They've been running no more than (2) 4 car sets at a time. I've seen 14 different cars in service so far. I've noticed though some recent changes in the yard. (two tracks of trains by the shop have been moved out towards the center of the yard, 4 sets are in the center of the yard now, if you count the one in service at the time) So they may run 4 sets this week, depending on what trains the operators take.

I just mentioned it, because the #3200's are going to get digital destinations and they would look nicer on the ends. That would be easy to achieve if some 8 car sets were set aside only for 8 car operation, but they could also just run all complete sets of each type of car and keep the #2600's for the 8 car sets. Like if they ran 4 cars on the weekend they would be all #3200's. That would make sense as far as maintenance, keeping the older cars out of service as much as possible. BTW, even though it has been agreed I believe since 2002 or 2000, that #2200's will run in the middle of 8 car consists, in an emergency that can change. Although rare, there have been instances where full #2200 sets were ran, (like after a winter storm) or even have been deligated to run as the first cars in an 8 car set.

I just mentioned it, because the #3200's are going to get digital destinations and they would look nicer on the ends.

I'm not sure where you got this, but it would appear that that would require changing the pins on the couplers in that the digital signs would need one kind of command to put up "Forest Park" while the roll signs would need another to put up "Position 5" (hypothetically). Compare the rebuilt 9500 with the couple of Transdot controllers.

Of course, it may turn out that there is some digital way to accomplish both.

I'm not sure where you got this, but it would appear that that would require changing the pins on the couplers in that the digital signs would need one kind of command to put up "Forest Park" while the roll signs would need another to put up "Position 5" (hypothetically). Compare the rebuilt 9500 with the couple of Transdot controllers.

Of course, it may turn out that there is some digital way to accomplish both.

That was in the CTA budget, the #3200's would get rehabbed through year 2016. I wondered about each sign being compatible with each other myself. I would say they could solve that by running the #2600's and #3200's independent of each other, but #3457-58 would pose a problem.

That was in the CTA budget, the #3200's would get rehabbed through year 2016. I wondered about each sign being compatible with each other myself. I would say they could solve that by running the #2600's and #3200's independent of each other, but #3457-58 would pose a problem.

I now see where it is on page 49 of the budget. The other change that appears significant with regard to the issue of compatibility is the Automatic Vehicle Maintenance System.

The question of course is whether 3457-8 are considered to be 3200s, in that I don't think they would want to treat them differently, or kill one because its Siamese twin is different. Also, as you imply, this may make them incompatible with both 2600s and 5000s

Update: If the 3200s on the Brown Line get the LED destination signs and the Purple Line gets 5000s, that would certainly hasten the day of confusion with regard to LOOP signs Belmont and south if chroma signs are not installed.

With the CTA getting the 3200's rehabbed through 2016, and presuming they keep them around the same length of time as the 2400's(32-34 yrs.), would it be worth it to make them also A/C, this way parts would be easier to get for the equipment, plus they would then be trainable with the 5000's.

Knew the ADA thing was a part of the factor too. Just thought age would be too just like in the "where are the NOVAs" thread where we were discussing how age was a possible factor for them being benched in the OWL hours.

Generally a good idea to limit the use of the older equipment. For that reason alone, it wouldn't make sense to relegate the 2600s to the middle. Probably one of the only reasons that you see 2200s run on weekends now is because it's too much work to fish them out of the middle of consists and put the 2600s together to run all-2600 service.

If you had four-car blocks of 2200s coupled to four-car blocks of 2600s, then when it came time to cut the consists, you just drop the 2200s and roll away with the 2600s. As it is now, it probably would take switchmen 20-30 minutes to do all the switching work necessary to take an eight-car set of four 2600s (two on each end) and four 2200s (in the middle) and turn it into a four-car set of 2600s, leaving the 2200s out. Then you'd have just as much work to put the train back together and splice the 2200s in the middle again.

With the CTA getting the 3200's rehabbed through 2016, and presuming they keep them around the same length of time as the 2400's(32-34 yrs.), would it be worth it to make them also A/C, this way parts would be easier to get for the equipment, plus they would then be trainable with the 5000's.

Maybe. The South Shore did it, but that was converting maybe 60 cars. The issue in the CTA's case would be not just rebuilding or replacing some motors, but having to rip out essentially all the motors and propulsion control systems. However, based on the considerations you state, maybe that would be worth it, not that the CTA would ever figure it out.

Since the 5000's are here I now wonder will they take that promotional stuff off cars 5009-5010 lol. And how soon will it be before they start making their arrivals on the Green Line? Also I believe once the 3200's get their mid life D rehab with their LED signs I believe they will go to the Blue or Green Line.

Since the 5000's are here I now wonder will they take that promotional stuff off cars 5009-5010 lol. And how soon will it be before they start making their arrivals on the Green Line? Also I believe once the 3200's get their mid life D rehab with their LED signs I believe they will go to the Blue or Green Line.

This is my thoughts on the future assignments post 3200-Series mid life D Rehab:

Red Line: 5000 & 2600-Series Cars

Blue Line: All 2600-Series Cars

Brown Line: All 3200-Series Cars or 3200 & 5000-Series mix

Green Line: All 2600-Series Cars

Orange Line: All 3200-Series Cars or 3200 & 5000-Series mix

Purple Line: All 2600-Series Cars or 2600 & 3200-Series mix

Pink Line: All 5000-Series Cars

Yellow Line: All 2600-Series Cars

This is my thoughts on the future assignments post 3200-Series mid life D Rehab:

Red Line: 5000 & 2600-Series Cars

Blue Line: All 2600-Series Cars

Brown Line: All 3200-Series Cars or 3200 & 5000-Series mix

Green Line: All 2600-Series Cars

Orange Line: All 3200-Series Cars or 3200 & 5000-Series mix

Purple Line: All 2600-Series Cars or 2600 & 3200-Series mix

Pink Line: All 5000-Series Cars

Yellow Line: All 2600-Series Cars

When you look at the age of all the cars.Reality is by the time you get the 706 cars.All the other rail cars are going to be need to be replace.

When you look at the age of all the cars.Reality is by the time you get the 706 cars.All the other rail cars are going to be need to be replace.

Probably the remaining 2600s (that was debated on the CTA Tattler), but if the 3200s are going to get midlifes as indicated in the budget, they should be good for another at least 13 years from when they get them. They have about 17-18 years in now

Similarly, the remaining life of the 2600s would have to be measured from when they got mid life rebuilds in the early 2000s.

Spotted 5001-02 trained together with I think it was 5013-14 rolling around the loop as a training train getting another Pink Line operator used to operating a 5000 series train since it did sport run number 300 and was circling along the Pink Line's routing and was trailing a Pink Line train I happened to miss when transferring from the Brown Line. While on the Pink Line about 10 mins later, spotted 5019-20 trained with two other unknown 5000s in revenue service on the Pink Line. I noticed they're still sporting those bland LED signs, so if say the Purple Line were to get any 5000s anytime soon (though I admit it's unlikely from a sensical standpoint) it makes for a little confusions if you're waiting at Clark/Lake on the inner Loop side and not paying attention to if the train came from straight along the Lake Street tracks or rolled off the Wells tracks and see a train roll in sporting LOOP considering some of those trains from either line sometimes don't flip their signs until Clark/Lake.