5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Spotted 5001-02 trained together with I think it was 5013-14 rolling around the loop as a training train getting another Pink Line operator used to operating a 5000 series train since it did sport run number 300 and was circling along the Pink Line's routing and was trailing a Pink Line train I happened to miss when transferring from the Brown Line. While on the Pink Line about 10 mins later, spotted 5019-20 trained with two other unknown 5000s in revenue service on the Pink Line. I noticed they're still sporting those bland LED signs, so if say the Purple Line were to get any 5000s anytime soon (though I admit it's unlikely from a sensical standpoint) it makes for a little confusions if you're waiting at Clark/Lake on the inner Loop side and not paying attention to if the train came from straight along the Lake Street tracks or rolled off the Wells tracks and see a train roll in sporting LOOP considering some of those trains from either line sometimes don't flip their signs until Clark/Lake.

The signs change from Loop to their next destination at the stop before hitting the loop, like at M. Mart, Clinton/Lake and Roosevelt/Wabash. Now if the signs freeze or quit altogether then they will have a problem.

The signs change from Loop to their next destination at the stop before hitting the loop, like at M. Mart, Clinton/Lake and Roosevelt/Wabash. Now if the signs freeze or quit altogether then they will have a problem.

Supposedly, in addition, the GPS controls the signs on the 5000s, not the operator (similar to on the buses).

If the sign freezes, there is also Mssr. CTA, but if the GPS freezes, I suppose that neither works.

Supposedly, in addition, the GPS controls the signs on the 5000s, not the operator (similar to on the buses).

If the sign freezes, there is also Mssr. CTA, but if the GPS freezes, I suppose that neither works.

Speaking of freezing, I heard that they had some problems last year with those trains hydralics freezing. (the thing that lowers/raises the cars at stations) If indeed that does fail and say a train is stuck in the down to platform position wouldn't that render the train immobile? I know a bus can't move until the kneeling is raised. There would also be the issues of cracked lines and leaked fluids in the future. That was a big problem on the high floor buses with a lift. Hopefully this is reinforced to prevent this. Something to think about for this winter anyway.

Spotted 5001-02 trained together with I think it was 5013-14 rolling around the loop as a training train getting another Pink Line operator used to operating a 5000 series train since it did sport run number 300 and was circling along the Pink Line's routing and was trailing a Pink Line train I happened to miss when transferring from the Brown Line. While on the Pink Line about 10 mins later, spotted 5019-20 trained with two other unknown 5000s in revenue service on the Pink Line. I noticed they're still sporting those bland LED signs, so if say the Purple Line were to get any 5000s anytime soon (though I admit it's unlikely from a sensical standpoint) it makes for a little confusions if you're waiting at Clark/Lake on the inner Loop side and not paying attention to if the train came from straight along the Lake Street tracks or rolled off the Wells tracks and see a train roll in sporting LOOP considering some of those trains from either line sometimes don't flip their signs until Clark/Lake.

I guess it is time to study the marker lights on the front of the trains. I knew which marker lights indicated which routes before I even knew about www.chicago-l.org, but they are listed there. Right now most of them are common sense. My understanding of the 5000s is that GPS should automatically change the destination sign upon leaving Clinton/Lake, Mdse Mart, or Roosevelt, IF the GPS is working properly.

I would wonder what would happen to that GPS if something happened with the 5000s like something I saw a week ago: A Red Line train departed Cermak and went via the Orange Line tracks to 17th, where it switched to the inner tracks and descended into the State St subway. What happens with the 5000s signs, GPS if routed this way or even if it operates totally "over the top?"

I would wonder what would happen to that GPS if something happened with the 5000s like something I saw a week ago: A Red Line train departed Cermak and went via the Orange Line tracks to 17th, where it switched to the inner tracks and descended into the State St subway. What happens with the 5000s signs, GPS if routed this way or even if it operates totally "over the top?"

The issue would be similar to the bus. BusTracker seems to lose buses that are off route, while WebWatch still has them somewhere on the map. I assume that a bus sign does not swap until the coordinates, say, line up with what is turning off Rogers into Paulina for the 147 bus.

With regard to a subway train going over the top, it probably would be even more complicated in that it would be programmed for using the odometer (dead reckoning) for subway travel, because it cannot "see" the satellites. CTA already warns us that the estimated arrival times will be off.

Obviously, a Red Line train wouldn't have to change signs while between terminals (compared to a round the Loop train that would, since, as CTA puts it, the only terminal for an Orange Line train is Midway). Your hypothetical might come in play if there were a Brownage going through the subway, instead of using the Loop tracks. Then, as in the case of the bus, the question would be whether there is a manual way to override whatever sets the Luminator signs. I assume that whatever sets the interior "next stop" announcements and signs would be all fouled up, especially if the distance between Cermak and Roosevelt via the way you mentioned is different than through the Clark segment of the subway, until the next point where the system could get a reading off the satellite (Fullerton), unless there were also some manual override.

#5065-66 and #5067-68 arrived to the Pink Line over the weekend. (There might be one more set) They didn't even have car cards in them yet when I saw them. So I guess that's the six cars that were supposed to arrive around thanksgiving. Also they ran 3 sets of #5000's yesterday, which would be a first. Last week they dropped the two man crews. They also were cycling the cars in service. Most cars ran one day last week. So far I've seen 28 different cars in service. There's 4 I haven't. So they should have now around 32 or 34 cars there.

I just took my first ride on these cars, from Madison/Wells to 18th street and then back to the loop. 5048 first and the 5016 back. I will grade them out as C-, and only that high because they are new. Needless to say, the seating is the worst. Don't let anyone fool you...the is not any more room to stand in the aisles than if the seating was "normal". With feet in the aisle, it'll be more of a hazard to the walkers/standees and those seated alike. I took a pic that I'll post when I get the chance that illustrates this. Many people stood rather than sitting sideways. Ladies sitting with their bags around their shoulders took up half of the seat next to them. Even though the acceleration was a little bit smoother, the operators are guilty of very hard stops. Could become less of a problem as familiarity increases. After a fair amount of speed was reached, there was a lot of swaying left to right, similiar to the 2200s. I am not impressed with LED signs, the curtains were just fine. The additional chime on the doors is quiet enough so as not to be overannoying but the if you can't hear it, what is the use. I'll vote for the 3200s as my current favorite since the 2200s are about to disappear...that and the fact the kind of messed them up with the single man operation and newer seats after mid life rehab.

I am glad I don't have to ride these cars everyday. The complaints people have about them are warranted. It's a shame those comments are ignored.

• Upvote 2

#5065-66 and #5067-68 arrived to the Pink Line over the weekend. (There might be one more set) They didn't even have car cards in them yet when I saw them. So I guess that's the six cars that were supposed to arrive around thanksgiving. Also they ran 3 sets of #5000's yesterday, which would be a first. Last week they dropped the two man crews. They also were cycling the cars in service. Most cars ran one day last week. So far I've seen 28 different cars in service. There's 4 I haven't. So they should have now around 32 or 34 cars there.

Pink Line has 40 5000s -- 5001-5002, 5013-5014, 5015-5016, 5019-5020, 5021-5022, 5023-5024, 5037-5046, 5049-5062, 5065-5068

Pink Line has 40 5000s -- 5001-5002, 5013-5014, 5015-5016, 5019-5020, 5021-5022, 5023-5024, 5037-5046, 5049-5062, 5065-5068

I didn't know about #5051-52, #5057-62, but I might have saw the last 2 in the yard. So based on that, it looks like the Green line might get #5000's in the next 2-4 weeks.

I just took my first ride on these cars, from Madison/Wells to 18th street and then back to the loop. 5048 first and the 5016 back. I will grade them out as C-, and only that high because they are new. Needless to say, the seating is the worst. Don't let anyone fool you...the is not any more room to stand in the aisles than if the seating was "normal". With feet in the aisle, it'll be more of a hazard to the walkers/standees and those seated alike. I took a pic that I'll post when I get the chance that illustrates this. Many people stood rather than sitting sideways. Ladies sitting with their bags around their shoulders took up half of the seat next to them. Even though the acceleration was a little bit smoother, the operators are guilty of very hard stops. Could become less of a problem as familiarity increases. After a fair amount of speed was reached, there was a lot of swaying left to right, similiar to the 2200s. I am not impressed with LED signs, the curtains were just fine. The additional chime on the doors is quiet enough so as not to be overannoying but the if you can't hear it, what is the use. I'll vote for the 3200s as my current favorite since the 2200s are about to disappear...that and the fact the kind of messed them up with the single man operation and newer seats after mid life rehab.

I am glad I don't have to ride these cars everyday. The complaints people have about them are warranted. It's a shame those comments are ignored.

I think our excitement is somewhat because these are new cars. Personally, I'm with you as far as the sidewinder seats. When I have been on these trains, I tried getting the forward facing priority seats first. Unfortunately for me, most times those are the first seats to go. The first time I was able to get that seat, a wheelchair passenger wound up boarding, so I had to move. I think the problem with the feet in the aisles will really be exposed once those cars make it to the Red line. Personally, I would've preferred a different exterior shell as well. Must these cars look like they are 30years old? Even NY's cars look more modern. The current equipment we have is aging badly, so this is what we get.

Earlier this afternoon I was lucky to have boarded one of the 5000s at 54th/Cermak (and rode in that train all the way to the Loop). It was just after a four-car train of 2600s left the station. The train that I was on consisted of 5021-22 and 5055-56 (I sat in the lead car, 5022). I went straight for one of the "Priority Seating" seats on that particular run (although I did sit sideways the only time I rode one of the prototypes when they were on the Red Line).

Nonetheless, put me down as one of those who didn't care either way. That's mainly because I often chose to sit sideways on the bus.

The Pink line gets 54 cars which will cause 54 of 120 2200's to go bye-bye.

When they hit the Green Line, what gets scrapped next ?

2400's, or 2400's shifted to the Red, to shift 2600's to the Blue, to finish off all the 2200's first before we say good bye to the 2400's.

This doesn't add up as Pink only has 44 of the 2600s now. So at most, 44 of 120 2200s go bye-bye. I think as Green gets 5000s, the worst of 2400s go bye-bye first, then remaining 2400s get shifted to Purple with its 2600s going Blue to replace 2200s, and then the same with Red until 5000s start arriving there.

I'm starting to believe there is some truth to the Pink Line expanding to 6 car trains during weekday rush periods. It only makes sense if they are increasing the fleet from 44 cars to 54 cars. Also, the intervals between trains has also increased with this last schedule change. Instead of trains operating every 7 to 8 minutes, they are now operating a steady 10 minutes apart during rush periods.

If you are interested this week the Pink line has moved up to 4 #5000 trains in service. They seem to be increasing the trains one per week. At that rate the Pink line should be totally equipped with #5000's by 4 weeks. Maybe the green line #5000's may start after that, unless they want to train operators there first.

What interests me is the problems going on in the downtown area with the 5000's(dead trains near junctions), but also the signal and switching issues at the junctions that the Pink Line shares with other Loop Elevated lines. I wonder if the A/C technology is shorting out the signals and switches.

.... I wonder if the A/C technology is shorting out the signals and switches.

Nobody is showing me the diagnostic panels, but the reason that electronic (chopper) control was rejected back with the 2400s was that there was radio frequency interference with the cab signals. Since then all the signal systems have been replaced, including the Loop Signal Project reported to be finished on 7/29/2010.

As said several times before, they had about 1-1/2 years to test these things, yet there are still problems and no indication yet that CTA will stop hiding behind FOIA exemptions (real or imagined) to disclose them.

Yeah buddy you can keep that one to yourself I was just asking thats all

What, exactly, were you asking?

They're in service.

There's an entire thread (this one, in fact) that is dedicated to discussing the new cars, and gets updated on an almost daily basis.

What more information could you be looking for?

• Upvote 1

What interests me is the problems going on in the downtown area with the 5000's(dead trains near junctions), but also the signal and switching issues at the junctions that the Pink Line shares with other Loop Elevated lines. I wonder if the A/C technology is shorting out the signals and switches.

Signal and switch issues have been going on since the beginning of time. Hardly something to blame on the 5000s.

What, exactly, were you asking?

They're in service.

There's an entire thread (this one, in fact) that is dedicated to discussing the new cars, and gets updated on an almost daily basis.

What more information could you be looking for?

If my questions bother you next time just dont respond I was just asking because that's what you do when you want to know about something no matter what it is, normally when I do this no one else seems to have a problem with it. However you make a good point but I was just asking because I know they are in service on the Pink Line currently but they are also more cars coming in as well and the good people on this particular subject always have new information about the 5000s it's not always the same ol same ol so that's why I wanted to know any new updates on the 5000s.

If my questions bother you next time just dont respond I was just asking because that's what you do when you want to know about something no matter what it is, normally when I do this no one else seems to have a problem with it. However you make a good point but I was just asking because I know they are in service on the Pink Line currently but they are also more cars coming in as well and the good people on this particular subject always have new information about the 5000s it's not always the same ol same ol so that's why I wanted to know any new updates on the 5000s.

Hi, well this may not be anything interesting... but I did hear that Brown Line is also another line that's not going to recieve them.