5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Yeah, I seen them while I was on car #5098 on the Green Line. They were part of the 6-car set during rush hour. Also, I rode car #5003 on the Green Line as well. So, they borrow it from the Pink Line.

With the Green line at 104 cars, I'm starting to think their going to park the 40 #2400's. The 104 cars should be enough for service requirements. I've been noticing lately at Midway, they seem to be parking their #2400's. They have them all together parked in the back of the yard.

With the Green line at 104 cars, I'm starting to think their going to park the 40 #2400's. The 104 cars should be enough for service requirements. I've been noticing lately at Midway, they seem to be parking their #2400's. They have them all together parked in the back of the yard.

I also went to Midway Airport along the Orange Line. I did seen a few 2400s sitting at Midway yard. I've haven't seen them in service on the Orange Line today. I've seen lots of 3200s in service. But I did seen 6-car 2400s on the Green Line though.

I am confused for if they either 2013 or 2014

That depends on the cutoff for the Red Line. Right now they stand around 90 cars on there. I believe the CTA wants to put the full compliment of deliveries on the Red Line before starting another rail line with 5000's, like they did with the Green/Pink deliveries. Those are two lines that are both less ridership and not 24 hour service, so putting 5000's on two smaller lines was easier to do. It might be a Purple/Orange combo next for all I know. It won't be Yellow, as all they need is eight 5000's, ten tops and they're done unless the CTA is going to beef up the stock on that line. From there, they'll put more on Green, Red, Purple, Orange and maybe even Pink and that should finish off the 5000's. Blue and Brown are not supposed to get any of them. The 7000's will finish off the 2600's and retire the 3200's, so wherever the remaining 2600's at that time will get 7000's first, followed by lines with 3200's, but we're talking 2019-2022 about.

I believe they might go on the Blue or Brown in a year or two or in a couple years.

No as these two lines will run 2600's and 3200's in some capacity(100% of one series or some percentage of one and another). As a Brown Line rider, I'd love to have some 5000's there since I never rode them, but I know that won't happen.

I also heard the Brown Line is getting the 7000 Series on October 15 2020

Ok, these cars are not even built. The RFP hasn't even been picked up by a manufacturer yet, and you're giving out delivery dates to lines? I don't even go that far. You can hypothesize or speculate, (e.g: The Brown Line will get the 7000-Series in 2020 sometime), but to be that precise is improbable at this time. I can't even predict the NOVA LFS fleet numbers for the buses coming at the end of 2013, so I speculated here. I know I'm right to some extent because I put up all 4-digit series possibilities. The only way I am not is if they are 3-digit numbered buses or the unlikely 5-digit series. Do I know exactly? No, as the only way I would is if I'm a employee of the CTA with access to the bus series numbers or a employee up at NOVA Bus with similar access.

SW4400, as a Red Line rider I'd like you to have the 5000s and I'd take the 3200s for the Red Line. :lol:

All I want is to have a few on the Brown Line for a week tops, so I can at least say "I rode some 5000-Series railcars". This is the only line I ride basically. Very rarely do I ride the Red Line. I have rode the 2400-Series railcars, 2600-Series and 3200-Series railcars. No offense to those who love the 2200's.... I take your word they are good railcars, but too much has occurred on the Blue Line, mechanically-speaking, to make me want to ever ride this line until they are all retired. Coming home on an overcrowded Brown Line train from Jury Duty during the Cubs playoff run in 2003, I got off at Chicago Ave and took the #56 Milwaukee bus north to Irving Park, which is quite a ride. The operator suggested I pick up the Blue Line, but I opted otherwise for this reason... I believe sometime earlier in 2003, trains were stalled in the Dearborn/Milwaukee Subway due to a fire or derailment... something like that where many people went to the hospital(that was the incident where the FTA found the CTA at fault, I believe).